• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Didn't see this posted here unless it was but looks like there's a class war happening in Fallout 76.

www.thedailybeast.com

Video Game Class War Has ‘Fallout’ Players Targeting Premium Subscribers

“At least 5-7 people in teddy bear costumes kept punching me,” one member complained.

The video game Fallout 76 takes place in a dystopian future West Virginia, which corporate greed and nuclear recklessness have reduced into a scorched wasteland. It's a scrappy survivalist setting, and probably the last place you'd want to flaunt designer outfits.

So naturally, when game company Bethesda introduced a new $100 premium membership that gave subscribers special access to in-game perks, Fallout 76 players declared class war.

Released last November, Fallout 76 is not a new game. But when Bethesda rolled out Fallout 1st last week, some longtime players accused the company of pitting premium members against the proletariat.

Players who fork out an extra $100 a year will get access to special outfits, infinite item storage, and private servers stocked with their own gear. Unfortunately for the upper crust of this fictional hellscape, Fallout's non-premium masses say it's time to eat the rich.

"Fuck you guys, I bought fallout 1st on my own terms and I enjoyed it, but those asshats had to hunt me down, Nuke my camp, and attack me relentlessly," one Fallout player claimed on Reddit this weekend, shortly after the Fallout 1st program debuted.

Fallout 1st players are easily identifiable by their icons, their covetable gear, and special moves only available to top-paying members. Even doing one of those special dances is license for a beatdown now, said one player who claimed to have been "beaten up when I decided to do the Mothman emote [a premium-only dance move] in Vault 51. At least 5 -7 people in teddy bear costumes kept punching me."

Another, luckier player, claimed he avoided a brawl, but was told to leave the non-premium area of the game when he did a premium-only robot dance.

In-game activity is difficult to verify, but other Fallout players say a real-world class divide is spilling into the game.

"People are ganging up on Fallout 1st players in adventure mode and grieving [targeting] anyone with the icon lol," another Redditor posted this weekend.

"What a shocker," one Redditor wrote "A game with themes of class struggle and people struggle against a feature that only benefits players with disposable income."

But premium members aren't the root of the problem, some players say. Since Fallout 76's launch last year, players have accused Bethesda of tinkering with the gameplay in an attempt to score more money from people who already bought the game.

"The only way players can meaningfully rebuild West Virginia, it seems, is by doing the exact same thing as in the pre-apocalypse," gaming site Polygon wrote of the conflict between the game's anti-capitalist aesthetic and its relentless pressure on players to buy things. "Sure, you can farm Atomic Points, but these cosmetics come so fast and furious that the only way to get everything you need is to pull out your wallet."

At least one aggrieved Fallout player actually paid to heckle Bethesda over the premium membership. When he noticed that Bethesda hadn't purchased the url for Fallout 1st, player David Chapman bought it and launched it as a satirical site selling memberships to "Fallout FUCK YOU 1st."

"Ever since Fallout 76 launched, we have consistently done nothing to improve and evolve the experience based on your shitty feedback. That's why we're excited to launch Fallout FUCK YOU 1st," a premium service that "includes a host of pointless items and cult bonuses," the site read.

Players like Chapman accuse Bethesda of looking for quick cash-ins, at the expense of the user experience. But on Reddit, some aggrieved fans are leaning toward full communism.

"If this is what it takes to seed class consciousness I'll take it," one wrote.

OP
OP
Komo

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
It's actually hilarious that this is the game that I honestly was expecting this to happen in, but it's even sooner then I thought.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't that kinda fit into the in game role play? It's a dog eats dog world.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I can see why it'd suck for the suckers paying $100 for the subscription but man this is too funny. In game role playing will always get me to laugh.

Jenea

Banned
Mar 14, 2018
latest

Jan 13, 2018
Article said:
claimed to have been "beaten up when I decided to do the Mothman emote [a premium-only dance move] in Vault 51. At least 5 -7 people in teddy bear costumes kept punching me."

I lol'd. 🤣

Does the base game itself have a Season Pass for the non-Premium peeps to grind out unlockables, as well? Or do you need the $100 thing to get any kind of custom emotes, etc?

R.T Straker

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017

I recommand you guys watch this video if you haven't already.

Haven't laughed that hard in some time.

Fiel

Oct 30, 2017
They end up getting the best pvp mode...

they want faction, they just got it lol.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I've not been following this game super closely but it seems really weird to me there are robot dances and emotes in a Fallout game

I know it's popular and what the kids want and it's the best way to min/max consumers into spending loads on your game, but Fallout used to be an interesting IP with something interesting to say and now it's another GaaS treadmill which rips you off harder it's competitors and now comes with a slice of bullying and class warfare

What a world

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
Seems kinda mean imo people should be allowed to play a game and not be harassed.
It's an online multiplayer game set in an apocalyptic future where people are trying to survive by any means necessary. The non-Fallout 1st players are raiders, nothing wrong with that. The real issue is that the Fallout 1st people paid for private servers and yet they are not private servers.

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Please tell me the teddy bear costume gang is called like the The Teddyz and before they beat him up they said "this will be beary painful. Motherfucker"

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
I've not been following this game super closely but it seems really weird to me there are robot dances and emotes in a Fallout game

I know it's popular and what the kids want and it's the best way to min/max consumers into spending loads on your game, but Fallout used to be an interesting IP with something interesting to say and now it's another GaaS treadmill which rips you off harder it's competitors and now comes with a slice of bulling and class warfare

What a world
Bethesda's understanding of the IP begins and ends with
61yqyFVHmKL._SX425_.jpg

LDNStateOfMind

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
"Even doing one of those special dances is license for a beatdown now"

For some reason this sentence is killing me; been giggling like a school girl for a good 5 minutes.