• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
This article really captures my frustration with Bethesda's take on the franchise. https://www.pcgamer.com/movies-tv/i...-of-bethesdas-stifling-take-on-the-wasteland/

While I understand that ultimately the frustration is with the same cast of factions constantly being the centre of attention...

I find it laughable to say the phrase: "What I miss from Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas—the part that's missing in even the best examples of Bethesda's Fallout—is a world where factions actually rise and fall." in response to a TV series where the capital of the largest nation since the apocalypse fell and the Brotherhood, who were previously on their knees in the west, rose to power once more.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
While I understand that ultimately the frustration is with the same cast of factions constantly being the centre of attention...

I find it laughable to say the phrase: "What I miss from Fallout 1, 2 and New Vegas—the part that's missing in even the best examples of Bethesda's Fallout—is a world where factions actually rise and fall." in response to a TV series where the capital of the largest nation since the apocalypse fell and the Brotherhood, who were previously on their knees in the west, rose to power once more.
Take your pick:
-They don't have the chops to write a story without the Brotherhood of Steel being the major player in their story

-Someone in the writing team is too much of a Brotherhood of Steel fan

- Someone still has a bone to pick with New Vegas and conveniently came up with that excuse in order to heavily knock them down a peg and deal a heavy blow to the NCR faction

- They are unable to evolve the game/story past the Brotherhood of Steel as an identity for the Franchise and move forward with their own thing so instead they keep bringing up the same faction Interplay made in 1997.

Last edited:

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017
- They are unable to evolve the game/story past the Brotherhood of Steel as an identity for the Franchise and move forward with their own thing instead of keep bringing up the same faction Interplay made in 1997.

I think it's some twist on this last one that forces their hand. The Brotherhood of Steel and Vault-Tec are the most striking aspects of the franchise by a mile. They're memorable, intriguing, and easy to understand. They would not be out of place in a Marvel movie. Well suited to be an introduction to the world of Fallout for the majority of people watching the series. And well suited for showrunners unfamiliar with the lore to take a weave a complex self-contained narrative out of.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's some twist on this last one that forces their hand. The Brotherhood of Steel and Vault-Tec are the most striking aspects of the franchise by a mile. They're memorable, intriguing, and easy to understand. They would not be out of place in a Marvel movie. Well suited to be an introduction to the world of Fallout for the majority of people watching the series. And well suited for showrunners unfamiliar with the lore to take a weave a complex self-contained narrative out of.
I get that they wanted to play it safe in Fallout 3 because they just got their hands on the franchise but....they just kept pushing the Brotherhood of Steel over and over again including the merchandise and now the TV show and after seeing what Obsidian did in Fallout New Vegas and what the London team did in Fallout London it's kinda strange to see the actual IP holders forcefully pigeon holding themselves to forcefully use the Brotherhood of Steel.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
So I looked at the OP but didn't see much. Is there a Lore Friendly FO4 mod upgrade list? Sore points for me initially was lack of weapons, Diamond City sucked and well it didn't look amazing. Its been many years since then and want to jump in again. Hoping for a good lore friendly graphics update, lore friendly weapons and better Diamond City(lol).

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
So I looked at the OP but didn't see much. Is there a Lore Friendly FO4 mod upgrade list? Sore points for me initially was lack of weapons, Diamond City sucked and well it didn't look amazing. Its been many years since then and want to jump in again. Hoping for a good lore friendly graphics update, lore friendly weapons and better Diamond City(lol).
Go install Wabbajack and grab the Welcome to Paradise modlist it's a Vanilla+ Mod but if you want something more then what Vanilla offers than grab either the Life in Ruins or Magnum Opus mod list.

Mr Evil 37

Mar 7, 2022
Take your pick:
-They don't have the chops to write a story without the Brotherhood of Steel being the major player in their story

- Someone still has a bone to pick with New Vegas and conveniently came up with that excuse in order to heavily knock them down a peg and deal a heavy blow to the NCR faction

- They are unable to evolve the game/story past the Brotherhood of Steel as an identity for the Franchise and move forward with their own thing so instead they keep bringing up the same faction Interplay made in 1997.
I guarantee you if they made a Fallout game without the Brotherhood of Steel, fans would be like "where are the BoS, it doesn't feel like Fallout"!

I like the Brotherhood 🤷‍♂️ I also like the NCR

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017

To your credit, the OP is still in progress, but didn't see much? That hurts, man. That hurts.

Jokes aside, you can browse Nexus' Collections page and Wabbajack for a modlist that'll fit your tastes. I haven't played Immersive Wasteland 2 but I did play its previous iteration and had a blast.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
Speaking of the OP, first, good job on it! Second, i would really like to reinforce that while having some good stuff in it, the restoration patch for Fallout 2 also brings back a lot of stuff that was better left cut, and it also isnt just packacing strictly content by black isle. I would put a big asterisk on it specially if you want to experience the games as they were

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, 3 and 4 had other major factions. But I wouldn't be upset if they were treated more like how they were in New Vegas sometimes.
In 3 the only ending has the Brotherhood of Steel destroying the Enclave and not only does that same chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel come back in 4 much stronger but the Show has made it canon that they destroyed the Institute and now once again that same chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel just crossed the entire country to get to the West Coast in the Show so not only does Bethesda keep bringing up the Brotherhood of Steel but they specifically keep putting on a pedestal the specific chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel they created.

If they want to keep bringing up the Brotherhood of Steel then that's fine but I'm tired Owyn Lyons's chapter I much prefer it if they explore new chapters like they did in Fallout 76 or make something with the Midwest Brotherhood of Steel that is MIA at the moment lore wise.

Last edited:

Yerffej

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
Starfield isn't what it should be, but I'm excited for ES and Fallout especially with how they've upped the feel of navigation and shooting nowadays. Starfield feels so much better than their old games to me.

zma1013

Oct 27, 2017
Are there any high-res texture conversion mods for New Vegas that are relatively faithful or do they all significantly change the look of the game?

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any high-res texture conversion mods for New Vegas that are relatively faithful or do they all significantly change the look of the game?

If you want something somewhat quick your best bet is NMCs texture packs. It's the classic go-to texture mod for New Vegas. There are an absolute ton of far better textures mods out there but none of them are all-in-one the way NMCs is.

Stibbs

Feb 8, 2023
The 518
I always just go with the Salamander Texture Guide whenever I do TTW.

Nut Vegas and all that combined looks fatastic. Definitely worth a try after your first run

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of the OP, first, good job on it! Second, i would really like to reinforce that while having some good stuff in it, the restoration patch for Fallout 2 also brings back a lot of stuff that was better left cut, and it also isnt just packacing strictly content by black isle. I would put a big asterisk on it specially if you want to experience the games as they were
I will do just that. RPU is what I'm most familiar with, but I will include more vanilla options. I'll also include a section for mods like Sonora and Nevada.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I will do just that. RPU is what I'm most familiar with, but I will include more vanilla options. I'll also include a section for mods like Sonora and Nevada.
Also, I would suggest to link up this guide for Fallout 4, as it's made by the same folks as the Viva Las Vegas and The Best of Times guides, before starting with the Nexus collections:

themidnightride.moddinglinked.com

The Midnight Ride

A fully modular, comprehensive and regularly updated Fallout 4 modding guide that allows for any personal preference to be satisfied.

(also, Mod Organizer 2 is much much recommended over Vortex!)

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Also, I would suggest to link up this guide for Fallout 4, as it's made by the same folks as the Viva Las Vegas and The Best of Times guides, before starting with the Nexus collections:

themidnightride.moddinglinked.com

The Midnight Ride

A fully modular, comprehensive and regularly updated Fallout 4 modding guide that allows for any personal preference to be satisfied.

(also, Mod Organizer 2 is much much recommended over Vortex!)

LOL, yeah I was gonna say that the order should be reversed in the OP. People really should be going to MO2 first.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Also, re: Fallout 4- might be worth putting a warning in the OP that it's best to hold off any modding until after the update patch hits and mod authors have time to update. Anyone who starts a modded playthrough right now is going to have their game become unplayable next week. Hopefully the mods get updated quickly but it may take a bit of time for some of the more extensive mod lists to become playable.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017

That someone is probably Emil. I'm surprised people don't know he has continued to be the sole lead designer and writer for all their recent games including Starfield. Compare that with like CP77 which had multiple to bounce ideas off each other.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
That someone is probably Emil. I'm surprised people don't know he has continued to be the sole lead designer and writer for all their recent games including Starfield. Compare that with like CP77 which had multiple to bounce ideas off each other.
Oh I know it's him I just didn't want to say it because some people around here get weirdly defensive about what he does or doesn't contribute to the story.

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
A trio of point lookout tribals could conquer the entire country

solid DLC so far but man, these enemies hit hard

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
In 3 the only ending has the Brotherhood of Steel destroying the Enclave and not only does that same chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel come back in 4 much stronger but the Show has made it canon that they destroyed the Institute and now once again that same chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel just crossed the entire country to get to the West Coast in the Show so not only does Bethesda keep bringing up the Brotherhood of Steel but they specifically keep putting on a pedestal the specific chapter of the Brotherhood of Steel they created.

If they want to keep bringing up the Brotherhood of Steel then that's fine but I'm tired Owyn Lyons's chapter I much prefer it if they explore new chapters like they did in Fallout 76 or make something with the Midwest Brotherhood of Steel that is MIA at the moment lore wise.

See that's what bothers me with some folks going: "Well it all fits within the theme of the series."

In real life... You didn't just have the same 2-3 nations literally rising and falling on a whim. Entire new nations with new ideals would rise from the ashes. The NCR fell so that they can once again have the Brotherhood of Steel and Enclave take back up their spot, instead of some other new faction entirely disconnected from those two.

So it feels hollow to say that they are following the theme of the series when it's clear it's more about keeping recognizable elements around rather than actually following that theme in a meaningful way.

The whole thing is so maddening because aside from this stuff, I thought the show was fantastic.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Oh I know it's him I just didn't want to say it because some people around here get weirdly defensive about what he does or doesn't contribute to the story.

I didn't know people are defensive about the lead guy. I think it would be positive for the lead to build a team of fresh designers around them otherwise Beth will struggle to keep up with the kind of stories put out by CDRed, Larian, Obsidian, etc. - or again allow third parties to make Fallout games to make non-sequential ones in the universe.

Even beyond just stories Bethesda just constantly makes the same kind of similar feeling game (Elder Scrolls, Starfield, Fallout) without thinking outside the box. Like the wild difference between Witcher 3 and CP77.

ZeroDS

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Having trouble deciding which game to jump back into. Haven't played 3 since release same with NV and never touched 4.

Feel like playing 3 but not sure if it's worth it these days.

Xion_Stellar

Oct 25, 2017
Having trouble deciding which game to jump back into. Haven't played 3 since release same with NV and never touched 4.

My recommendation is to go install Wabbajack and grab the Begin Again modlist it's a Tales of Two Wasteland Mod for Fallout 3/New Vegas.

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017

I highly recommend give Tale of Two Wastelands a try. It's a project that combines 3 and NV. Start off in 3, do as much as you want in the Capital Wasteland and the DLCs, and then move on to NV when you're ready. There's a vanilla+ modlist called Begin Again that's made for TTW as well. Check the OP for details. I'm playing through Begin Again right now so I can help if you need it.

h0tp0ck3t

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

might be a dumb question but how do you know it's the same chapter in the show?

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
might be a dumb question but how do you know it's the same chapter in the show?

I don't think it's meant to be the same exact branch (as in these folks came from the East Coast), but the BoS in the show say they are taking orders from the Commonwealth, and also the Prydwen from FO4 literally shows up.

AliceAmber

Drive-in Mutant
Administrator
May 2, 2018
Me: I'm gonna take it easy on settlements this playthrough

Also me hours later: Ah fuck I forgot to take it easy in settlements.

It's just weirdly fun, and stimulates creativity in my brain. Trying to decide where I want to make my home base with companions, Red Rocket or the Drive in.

Ashodin

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Durham, NC

It's just weirdly fun, and stimulates creativity in my brain. Trying to decide where I want to make my home base with companions, Red Rocket or the Drive in.
It really is, and the fact you can just uproot everything and make it look PRETTY

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
Updated the OP with a warning regarding Fallout 4's impending update. Coincidentally, Nexus has just published an article on what to expect as well.

I personally think an isometric base building strategy RPG spinoff would sell like hotcakes. Closest thing we've got right now in terms of Fallout is the Old World Blues mod for Hearts of Iron IV.

Hazz3r

Nov 3, 2017

If you haven't made your home base Spectacle Island before then I would really recommend it!

OP
OP
AgentStrange

AgentStrange

Oct 25, 2017
So, is there a particular reason why the Brotherhood has a "legion" and gives people roman names?

The show introduces a decent chunk of new stuff to the Brotherhood like referring to themselves as a legion and the title of cleric. My personal opinion is that these elements are specific to this particular chapter. For example. the East Coast Brotherhood operate like an army and don't do the whole incense and m'lord thing that these folks do. There's always been a pseudo-religious undertone to them, but this is the most overt depiction of that so far. There have been people in the Brotherhood with Roman/Latin names like Rhombus but again, this is the most blatant use of these kinds of names to date.

Last edited:

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018
The show introduces a decent chunk of new stuff to the Brotherhood like referring to themselves as a legion and the title of cleric. My personal opinion is that these elements are specific to this particular chapter. For example. the East Coast Brotherhood operate like an army and don't do the whole incense and m'lord thing that these folks do. There's always been a pseudo-religious undertone to them, but this is the most overt depiction of that so far.
Maybe Amazon is trying to position them to be the official precursors to the 40K Space Marines.

They're going to have market dominance on power armor.

NCR Ranger

Oct 25, 2017
The show introduces a decent chunk of new stuff to the Brotherhood like referring to themselves as a legion and the title of cleric. My personal opinion is that these elements are specific to this particular chapter. For example. the East Coast Brotherhood operate like an army and don't do the whole incense and m'lord thing that these folks do. There's always been a pseudo-religious undertone to them, but this is the most overt depiction of that so far.

i like the fan theory that they have mingled with Caesar's Legion in some way to rebuild the Mojave Brotherhoods numbers. Pure fan speculation of course, but I like it.

SofNascimento

cursed
Oct 28, 2017
São Paulo - Brazil
The show introduces a decent chunk of new stuff to the Brotherhood like referring to themselves as a legion and the title of cleric. My personal opinion is that these elements are specific to this particular chapter. For example. the East Coast Brotherhood operate like an army and don't do the whole incense and m'lord thing that these folks do. There's always been a pseudo-religious undertone to them, but this is the most overt depiction of that so far. There have been people in the Brotherhood with Roman/Latin names like Rhombus but again, this is the most blatant use of these kinds of names to date.

I see, thanks!

i like the fan theory that they have mingled with Caesar's Legion in some way to rebuild the Mojave Brotherhoods numbers. Pure fan speculation of course, but I like it.

It's funny because I thought of that when I believed this show was its own thing/universe. So they decided to mix the two groups into one. Like when two characters from a book become one in a show.

Morlas

Looking for a better cartoon show.
Oct 25, 2017

Does the show specifically say they were the ones to do it, or is there room for it to have been the Minutemen?