• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

P-Bo

One Winged Slayer
Jun 17, 2019
All I ask for are save states and preferably a rewind. Everything else is unnecessary for me.

Gibordep

Nov 1, 2017

I'm concerned on the number we are getting for the PS1, PS2, PSP and PS3 games. "Up to 340 additional games" is nowhere near enough for one console, much less four of them.

I don't think that anywhere says that there will be more 340 new retro games. IT's says that adds up 340 games to the previous tier, Plus Extra. What is a little odd because Now has 400 PS3 games available..

Last edited:

8byte

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt-account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Kansas
Sony's investment into programs like these is always so incredibly half assed. Piss poor, title by title solutions that make them work considerably harder than simply building an emulator to run at a system level. It's also precisely why I couldn't care less about the top PS+ tiers, because I won't be able to use *my* PS1 / PS2 discs in my PS5 to play those games, I can only play what they deem "worthwhile" to put into whatever emulation container they've made for that specific game.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think that anywhere says that there will be more 340 new retro games. IT's says that adds up 340 games to the previous tier, Plus Extra. What is a little odd because Now as 400 PS3 games available..

I was gonna say. PS Now has 370 PS3 games on it.

The Premium tier having 340+ extra PS3, PS1 and PSP games either means very few of the PS1 and PSP stuff or they're getting rid of LOADS of the current PS3 titles.

Sangral

Feb 17, 2022
"Looks great" says literally nothing. Give me data and facts.

We've seen journalist/reviewer telling others how good and high res the fps modes in certain games look until the game releases and everyone could instantly see it's blurry 1080p or less. This is such a nothing statement.

I really hope they get this right, this would be so great.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
"but they're looking great!"

The worst person to give that quote. lol

Jim Ryan soon will be out here like "Look at these PS1 & PS2 games! Why wouldn't anyone want to play these games? I love wobbly textures and jagged edges! They're the best!"

Oct 31, 2017

Dizzy Ukulele

Oct 28, 2017
All in the eyes of the beholder. I think N64 games look great on the Switch OLED screen but Nintendo put minimal effort into them and many think they look shit.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
No one will care about the lack of details at announcement time once those details are actually out at whatever time in the future. It really doesn't make a difference if they have the details now. Once people are actually able to get the thing they will have all the details they want. This is just step 1 marketing of getting awareness and interest out. If anything the lack of details keeps you interested in following the news to get the details whenever they do come.

Flashbacks to people flipping out about the lack of PS5 info.

Bishop89

What Are Ya' Selling?
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
348480.gif

ClamBuster

Oct 27, 2017
Ipswich, England
there's a big difference between corporate man hearing from someone else that they look 'great', and alex from DF scrolling through his 10 predator visions and analysing them in a language which is indecipherable to 99.9% of humanity

i think i'll wait for the DF analysis to determine what 'great' means

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
If there arent any enhancements to the PS3 games its a hard pass for me.
This is by far going to be the shittiest like-for-like comparison with GamePass/Xbox BC. Regardless of the specific game selection, any Xbox 360 game running on Xbox Series at a minimum takes advantage of the newer hardware to hit their target framerate, if not better.

PS3 games on PS Now on the other hand, are reliant on streaming tech with variable input lag *and* still run at native PS3 performance, which, for many games, even first-party ones, means sub-20fps. It's just going to be horrid experience playing smooth-running PS1/PS2 and PS4/PS5 games while the PS3 ones run like molasses.

Shemhazai

Aug 13, 2020

The Premium tier having 340+ extra PS3, PS1 and PSP games either means very few of the PS1 and PSP stuff or they're getting rid of LOADS of the current PS3 titles.
A lot of the PS3 titles aren't great to be fair. A lot of Damnation tier games, obscure indies and shovelware.

liquidtmd

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
'Today, yes we can show you the price we want to charge but we will not show you what you get for it'

Nice.

Kratos2098

Feb 18, 2022
They really should've been prepared to tell us some of these PS1, PS2, and PSP games today. We basically know nothing more than what we already heard from rumors.

Hayeya

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
PSone and the PS2 games, they looked ancient, like why would anybody play this?
Some gems are still locked on these systems:
Capcom vs snk 2
Silent hill 1-2-3-4
Vagrant story
FF Tactics
Dragon quest VII
Dragon quest VIII
Valkyrie profile 1 and 2
Star ocean 3
Gran turismo 1-2-3-4
Ridge racer 4
Tekken 1-2-3
Etc etc

It would be nice ti be able to play them in improved form.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
A few people were sad about the lack of Vita love. What games were on Vita that aren't already on PS4? Uncharted is one I can think of.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
I expect to be able to play my already purchased digital PS1/2/P games on PS4/5 and to able to buy games individually.
Everything else would be a massive blunder.
A few people were sad about the lack of Vita love. What games were on Vita that aren't already on PS4? Uncharted is one I can think of.
Killzone Mercenary, Uncharted, Freedom Wars and Soul Sacrifice (Delta) to name the most popular.

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States

I have no idea what to make of this. How does your premium legacy catalog spanning four platforms have fewer titles than your current service providing that features just one of those?

hikarutilmitt

Dec 16, 2017
Every single one of you saying "they should just talk to the rpcs3 developers" or "it can't be that hard" just reek of shitty armchair dev. Clearly no idea about how software dev cycles work.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I also don't really WANT BC enhancements for PS1 games. I like the juddery look, it's all part of the retro charm. I just don't want it looking blurry.

IMO, I feel like having options for what "look" you want is best. Because having no filter/upscaling for a lot of these games makes them look hella ugly on an HDTV these days (I recently popped in Parasite Eve into my PS3 on my 4K, gross). If you want that true feeling you need to play on a CRT but with that said having stuff like a Scanline Filter and other elements scaled up is a good way to get the "feel" of that era without having to deal with the lower aspects.

Lee Morris

Oct 28, 2017
This would have landed so much better for Sony if they had the classic games already locked down. The lack of details and blog post announcement says a lot about how this "new service" is viewed internally at Sony.

This has just been bashed out before then end of the tax year so they can push to investors that they are going to grow the online service income of the PlayStation division. I'm sure they're passionate people within Sony who are working on this and are excited about a chuck on PlayStation's entire history being represented all in one place.

SixelAlexiS

Oct 27, 2017
Italy

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
IMO, I feel like having options for what "look" you want is best. Because having no filter/upscaling for a lot of these games makes them look hella ugly on an HDTV these days (I recently popped in Parasite Eve into my PS3 on my 4K, gross). If you want that true feeling you need to play on a CRT but with that said having stuff like a Scanline Filter and other elements scaled up is a good way to get the "feel" of that era without having to deal with the lower aspects.
That's true, and this is a phenomena I saw from people with the recent FF Pixel Remasters, and now have experienced myself. I'm having nostalgia for the YouTube videos I've seen of these games rather than how the games actually looked on release.

FantaSoda

Oct 28, 2017
I am not bothering with this if they can't get those games up to modern resolutions. Emulators have been doing this for years and if you have concerns about compatibility issues then lock the higher resolutions behind a "Boost Mode" features like they had for older PS4 games on the PS4 Pro.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
There's definitely a good chunk of Vita stuff they can still pull from, especially since it would scale well much like PS2 and PSP titles will as well.
Maybe no like all-time mega-hits that would rock the gaming world, but solid stuff that would appeal to your hardcore base (Who's going to be the people most interested in retro games anyway).

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
Cosidering how shit the PS1 Classic was I'll wait for independent impressions first.

Did they ever fix PS2 emulation on PS5. I know a lot of the games had graphical glitches, I don't consider them playable on PS5.

There's definitely a good chunk of Vita stuff they can still pull from, especially since it would scale well much like PS2 and PSP titles will as well.
Maybe no like all-time mega-hits that would rock the gaming world, but solid stuff that would appeal to your hardcore base (Who's going to be the people most interested in retro games anyway).

I'd love a high resolution version of Soul Sacrifice

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
I hope they constantly add to the library as the months go on and I hope one day they allow for PS3 emulation and not just streaming but I guess that depends on consumer interest and showing said interest to Sony.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
I hope they constantly add to the library as the months go on and I hope one day they allow for PS3 emulation and not just streaming but I guess that depends on consumer interest and showing said interest to Sony.

We might need someone higher up that really pushes for it (Just getting PS1, PSP, and more PS2 titles is a good foot forward though).

So many PS3 titles being left on the side is sad to see. Especially when so many deserve to run better than their current low 20's FPS

Tttssd1972

May 24, 2019
Wild idea that is totally not happening at least in regards to the OG trilogy for Resident Evil. What if those hi-res updated screens from RE-RE2-RE3 from the count up countdown to RE's 25th Anniversary last year were in fact screens for their release as part of the new PlayStation service? Not at all likely, but would be cool

SnazzyNaz

The Wise Ones
Nov 11, 2019
Some gems are still locked on these systems:
Capcom vs snk 2
Silent hill 1-2-3-4
Vagrant story
FF Tactics
Dragon quest VII
Dragon quest VIII
Valkyrie profile 1 and 2
Star ocean 3
Gran turismo 1-2-3-4
Ridge racer 4
Tekken 1-2-3
Etc etc

It would be nice ti be able to play them in improved form.
About half your list hasn't been stuck on PS1/PS2 for some time or ever.

OP
OP
Jawmuncher

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
Wild idea that is totally not happening at least in regards to the OG trilogy for Resident Evil. What if those hi-res updated screens from RE-RE2-RE3 from the count up countdown to RE's 25th Anniversary last year were in fact screens for their release as part of the new PlayStation service? Not at all likely, but would be cool

I actually think this will be how it happens (Since Capcom seems to have no interest in doing it themselves).
As long as the content on this service is handled by Sony and just needs the ok from Capcom to happen, it should be easy enough.

The biggest issue will be who is handling the adding of games? Apparently the PS2 on PS4 wasn't by anyone in Japan (Which is why we were lacking a lot of Japanese content and there were only like 5 PS2 on PS4 titles even released in Japan). That's a barrier that needs to be sorted to assure certain titles aren't getting skipped over.