• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Billfisto

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
I loathe these "here's a vague statement, more info coming soon" announcements.

Always just leads to disappointment when everyone imagines the best case scenario in the interim.

Fukuzatsu

Oct 25, 2017
Some gems are still locked on these systems:
Capcom vs snk 2
Silent hill 1-2-3-4
Vagrant story
FF Tactics
Dragon quest VII
Dragon quest VIII
Valkyrie profile 1 and 2
Star ocean 3
Gran turismo 1-2-3-4
Ridge racer 4
Tekken 1-2-3
Etc etc

It would be nice ti be able to play them in improved form.
Star Ocean 3 is actually already available remastered for PS4 (and by extension PS5):
https://store.playstation.com/en-us/product/UP0082-CUSA04778_00-SLUS204880000001

If memory serves the only game in the series not available in some form is Star Ocean 2, which for whatever reason has a remaster on PS4, but it only saw release in Japan.

antispin

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping for a pleasant surprise when it comes to BC titles. Fingers crossed, etc. Ideally:
1. They get some framerate, texture filtering and resolution benefits
2. We can buy them a la carte

Not holding my breath that past PSN purchases will be automatically be added to the library. But would be very nice, especially the PSP/Vita titles.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Stop calling it backward compatibility if you can't play your existing games.

They are pretty much considered ports now.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't get why they even bother with this. Who is this for? A couple of thousand people on gaming forums that want to play the classic games and I bet half of them start up their favourite classic, go "good ol' times.." and after 30 minutes never look at it again.

I know I am one of them, anyway..

White Glint

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't get why they even bother with this. Who is this for? A couple of thousand people on gaming forums that want to play the classic games and I bet half of them start up their favourite classic, go "good ol' times.." and after 30 minutes never look at it again.

The ramblings of a lost soul living an existence without Tokyo Jungle.

Pottuvoi

Oct 28, 2017
I'm hoping for a pleasant surprise when it comes to BC titles. Fingers crossed, etc. Ideally:
1. They get some framerate, texture filtering and resolution benefits
2. We can buy them a la carte

Not holding my breath that past PSN purchases will be automatically be added to the library. But would be very nice, especially the PSP/Vita titles.
Would love to see classic, optimized and custom modes as selectable option for improvements.

Basically PS1 improvements which would not alter the overall look of the game outside cleaning up the artifacts of bad original implementations.

Ie.
subpixel accuracy
perspective correction
z-buffer
anti aliased nearest neighbor texturing mipmapping
32bit color output
antialiasing

Kemiko

Oct 5, 2018
I cant believe this was all announced with so little fanfare. Just a blog post on their website.

If they're so good looking then release a video to go with the announcement, screenshots & at least a few example titles that will be available.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
I cant believe this was all announced with so little fanfare. Just a blog post on their website.

If they're so good looking then release a video to go with the announcement, screenshots & at least a few example titles that will be available.
To be fair I think that's exactly what will happen. Playstation Classic wasn't announced with all the details but they used the following months to drop the info. I expect a PS1 Classics video from Playstation Access for example.

But yeah as a legacy games fan, I'm gonna find the next 2 months very difficult.

ianpm31

Oct 27, 2017

Hard to get excited with no list of games.

Aug 14, 2020
Jim Ryan: We're not going to show you this thing, but trust me it looks great.

Thanks, Jim.

Right? It's so weird on how understated they've been. Guess we'll just have to wait until marketing cranks up late spring.

Karlinel

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Mallorca, Spain

That's me, too…gaming is too iterative to value older entries of a series except in few cases where each entry does its own thing (think FF or Street fighter).
That said, I would play Wipeout 3 at least, if it has stable framerate (60 would be just a dream).

Mindwipe

Oct 25, 2017
London

Honestly Sony's financial year closes tomorrow so this feels like an attempt to get shareholders to stop asking questions at the results call than anything intended for customers.

Dust

C H A O S
Oct 25, 2017
BA47-D2-A4-1947-455-C-AA5-E-ADEA269-E1510.jpg

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
Well in preparation for this I've bought myself a PS1 Classic!

Castlevania Requiem. I'm also getting Chrono Cross in a week so getting my fix

TheRealTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Ape Escape 3 and Hunting Ground

PLEASE
Back when they were brining some PS2 titles to PS4, Ape Escape 3 was rated for PS4 but nothing came out of it.
www.dualshockers.com

Ape Escape 3 Rated for PS4 Again by ESRB

Once again Ape Escape 3 has been rated for the PS4 by the ESRB, hinting at perhaps a release through the PS2 classics program sometime later this week or
attackofthefanboy.com

Ape Escape 3 Rated For PS4 By ESRB | Attack of the Fanboy

Every now and then we have an ESRB rating pop up that gives us a hint at a game that could be getting announced soon, though this time it has to do with a
Also Sony, Ape Escape 2 on PS5 doesn't work properly, it is buggy, please patch it or don't sell it since it is broken.

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine if they can get the King's Field and Shadow Tower games up on there. Higher res and framerate with the customizable controls and they would be amazing

Eiji

Oct 28, 2017
PS2 games on PS4 run at 2x native output resolution so from 640x480 to 1280x960.

I hope they run closer to 4K on the PS5.

asmith906

Oct 27, 2017
I wish they would clarify more on how legacy games are going to work. It would be really cool if I could just put a physical game in and play.
That's not going to happen. PS5 and PS4 can't read CD's. Don't think of it as backwards compatibility, it's more like what Nintendo is doing with their subscription services.
You pay for the premium tier and they give you access to a set of classic games with some being added over time.

I'll be shocked if you can purchase the games separate or if anything carries over from previously purchased classics.

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That's not going to happen. PS5 and PS4 can't read CD's. Don't think of it as backwards compatibility, it's more like what Nintendo is doing with their subscription services.
You pay for the premium tier and they give you access to a set of classic games with some being added over time.

I'll be shocked if you can purchase the games separate or if anything carries over from previously purchased classics.
Damn hope we can at least buy them. Feel like we will have a larger library if it publishers can sell their own games and not just depend on a ps plus deal.

SketchDog

Nov 25, 2021
Toronto
This reads sort of like a "trust me bro" thing you hear when someone tells you something amazing and you ask for them to elaborate on how so or how they know this information.

slider

Nov 10, 2020
This reads sort of like a "trust me bro" thing you hear when someone tells you something amazing and you ask for them to elaborate on how so or how they know this information.

It's clumsy at best but I'd assume there's something to it... But yeah, that clumsiness won't sit well with a fair chunk of people.

Personally I took it as "here's a present, but you can't open it".