• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Breakdown between both versions is 847,421 units for the standard model, and 165,235 units for the Digital Edition. Best selling retail game is Resident Evil Village with 67,000 copies.

Banned
Jun 12, 2021
Hopefully with games XVI and Forspoken and who knows what other Japanese exclusives and when stock gets better they can keep the sales up.

Mechaplum

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2017
JP
They are really supply constraint. A friend who used to work for PS3 dev only got his recently and have been wanting one since launch.

Is the attach rate still crazy low, leading people to speculate a large portion are leaving Japan?

Or they could be playing PS4 games on it still? Some people simply crazy with how they want to force a narrative on these things.

Meriadock

Apr 21, 2018
Brazil
They are really supply constraint. A friend who used to work for PS3 dev only got his recently and have been wanting one since launch.

Or they could be playing PS4 games on it still? Some people simply crazy with how they want to force a narrative on these things.

There's no narrative being forced. PS5 software sales in japan is non existent to the point those things end up being especulated. Anyway, happy for the hardware sales.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Is the attach rate still crazy low, leading people to speculate a bunch are leaving Japan?
The best selling game is at 67k, so that points to yes.

It's not a narrative. We've seen PS5 SW sales and they outright tell us what the best selling game is in this report. PS4 SW has also fallen off in Japan, so people aren't just buying those games instead(which makes no sense if the game has a PS5 version).

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Or they could be playing PS4 games on it still? Some people simply crazy with how they want to force a narrative on these things
If that was the case we'd likely new PS4 game sales and used PS4 game sales would see an increase as well, which is not the case.

Besides, if the console is being scalped elsewhere that's a better scenario than it having a large install base without selling any significant amount of software.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
hardware is doing well, but the software is doing poorly. Sony is gonna have to find a way to correct that

Nov 28, 2017
They're still using that stupid lottery system to get this to consumers' hands, instead of maybe just reservation based on ID at their retail chains.

Brood

Nov 8, 2018
Everyone buying it right now so they can resell it while the price is still high.

I mean, how else can you explain how abysmal the software situation is for the console over there.
Resell it to who? Japanese market isn't like the U.S. or Europe.
or am I out of the loop on a drop shipping scheme I'm not aware of?

Nov 28, 2017
I'd be very curious to know the actual JPN PSN profiles (with JPN IP's) who've logged into their PS5's to get a rough estimate, of how much of these units reached the Japanese consumers' hands, or being routed to some other regions via the grey market.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
Kinda sad consoles are like this in Japan.

I'm happy PS is still strong world wide though. Competition is good. Both MS and Sony keeping themselves busy lol.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
The PS5s performance in Japan is one of the most interesting stories of the last two years. Software wise it is dead in the water. Yet the hardware is selling well.

balb

Oct 30, 2017
how many hardware movers will the PS5 even have this generation? It won't be a PS4 situation where every third party game is basically an exclusive because its main competition is the Wii U.

Oct 25, 2017
The PS5s performance in Japan is one of the most interesting stories of the last two years. Software wise it is dead in the water. Yet the hardware is selling well.
The discrepancy is such that I'm genuinely believing that a significant portion of these sales aren't going into Japanese consumers, but are resold to other parts of Asia as demand is larger worldwide.