• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Xeonidus

“Fuck them kids.”
Oct 28, 2017
Huh, I was under the impression the PS5 was not doing as well in Japan. I guess software sales poor?

Edit: Already been covered lol

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I knew PS5 would decline this Gen but damn it's hard to take anything away positive when it doesn't matter how much hardware you move if software isn't selling.

Oct 25, 2017
Like even with a hypothetical higher than average digital ratio for Japan, there's no other reason why retail software attach rates are below 10% at best unless you count on a lot of these consoles leaving the country.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I guess that's finally confirmation since it's coming from Zhuge. And it had been the only plausible theory thus far. Had scalpers been selling within Japan, the system would still be in circulation and software sales would be fine.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
The discrepancy is such that I'm genuinely believing that a significant portion of these sales aren't going into Japanese consumers, but are resold to other parts of Asia as demand is larger worldwide.

If that was the case then we would see more PS5 games be sold in those Asia territories. But so far is mostly Switch games that are on the top sellers.

I simply think that Asian consumers aren't that keen on buying PS consoles anymore like they did back in the day

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
If that was the case then we would see more PS5 games be sold in those Asia territories. But so far is mostly Switch games that are on the top sellers.

I simply think that Asian consumers aren't that keen on buying PS consoles anymore like they did back in the day

Sony should focus on strengthening Team Asobi into making more aesthetically pleasing and fun games like Astrobot. Whether that means more platformers or different genres, it doesn't matter, but they should be fun to play. Similar to first party Nintendo games. I perceive Astrobot as a first party Nintendo platformer. I could see Astrobot as a Nintendo game. Granted, Switch dominating Japan probably has more to do with its portable nature, but the quality of Nintendo games also has to play into it.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
it might surprise some people but most japanese consumers think switch as a console so it is definitely isnt a problem of being a console
I should have said outside Nintendo. I guess they are just the defacto console in that region. (Don't know anything about the region or preferences but it's obvious Sony has lost that mind share there.)

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
Sony should focus on strengthening Team Asobi into making more aesthetically pleasing and fun games like Astrobot. Whether that means more platformers or different genres, it doesn't matter, but they should be fun to play. Similar to first party Nintendo games. I perceive Astrobot as a first party Nintendo platformer. I could see Astrobot as a Nintendo game. Granted, Switch dominating Japan probably has more to do with its portable nature, but the quality of Nintendo games also has to play into it.

Nothing sony will do will sell software imo. Japan has moved on from it, even 3rd party japanese publishers aren't selling games there if they aren't on nintendo and even then…tons of japanese centric games have released this year and bombed in japan

Yall want them to fill a hole that simply cannot and doesn't want to be filled. They would be better off continuing to full on pivot towards being a global brand and take their meager japan sales for what it is

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to know with the hardware being scalped to other Asian countries what the true demand of the PS5 is in Japan to its citizens. Like when global supply and demand stabilizes, will the PS5 software be able to make something of a rebound there, or is the Japanese gaming audience just completely apathetic to Playstation now.

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017

They aren't selling them in countries that already have them, they are selling them in China and countries in Southeast Asia primarily

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
"Not bad" and "selling well" for Sony's standard I guess. Outside of that realm, it's selling very poorly. Global has its back though and it's not losing third party support so who cares.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
They aren't selling them in countries that already have them, they are selling them in China and countries in Southeast Asia primarily

China does have ps5's probably not even close to satisfy demand, but thats everywhere. According to Jim Ryan the demand for the PS5 in china is almost as big as it is in the west

Arex

Oct 27, 2017
Indonesia
How many of them stays in Japan though lol

I guess software sales is probably up in those Asian countries at the expense of Japan's software sales

AngelSkye

Jul 25, 2018
Not surprised if its the case. In Malaysia, official PS5s are only sold in batches and it's impossible to get one unless you are currently on a waiting list, or extremely lucky online beating out bots - but certain less popular game stores do have PS5s in stock, and they are usually Japanese units, and with a hefty markup on these if there are people desperate enough to get one.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
"Not bad" and "selling well" for Sony's standard I guess. Outside of that realm, it's selling very poorly. Global has its back though and it's not losing third party support so who cares.
I would think any company would look at their own previous hardware and judge by that.

I think not bad and selling well is a better description than selling very poorly. I mean....its doing better than the PS4.

Surely that means something.

Jul 15, 2019
I've pretty much given up on trying to get a PS5 here in Japan. Whenever I get a notification that PS5 units are for sale on Amazon or Rakuten, they're all sold out immediately. I've been entering Sony's and a few other store's lotteries, but have had no luck. I'm sure there are many like me not willing to buy a scalped unit. Had more PS5s directly gotten into the hands of gamers here, I'm sure the software numbers would make more sense.

kimbo99

Feb 21, 2021
They are really supply constraint. A friend who used to work for PS3 dev only got his recently and have been wanting one since launch.

Or they could be playing PS4 games on it still? Some people simply crazy with how they want to force a narrative on these things.

I reckon people aren't playing it much, but we'll get to see if this is true for heavy hitters such as Tales of Arise as the new Final Fantasy. Can't say whether or not people are selling them outside of Japan or if people are using it mostly for back compat.

ikaben

Oct 27, 2017
Well I'm impressed, I wasn't expecting that many units moved much less in shorter time than PS4.

Ashhong

Oct 26, 2017
Everyone buying it right now so they can resell it while the price is still high.

I mean, how else can you explain how abysmal the software situation is for the console over there.
This doesn't make sense, as there's still someone that buys it in the end. Unless you think they are exporting the PS5s out of Japan?

edit: ah, looks like a lot are indeed being exported. Welp

Deleted member 5491

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is in the same ballpark as their last 2 home consoles, but with more limited availability but also more sold consoles outside of Japan.
Software sales are still weak but I don't know if something hit the consoles that would sell big time in Japan these days

Sho Nuff

Jan 6, 2019
Kyoto, JP
I live in Kansai and have not seen a single (non-used, jacked-up-price) unit for sale since it came out. Someone must be buying them.

Neonep

Oct 25, 2017
This is incredibly interesting. I wonder how Sony can really make a big splash in Japan or are they pretty much done there. How the hell is the the highest selling game at retail only at 67K and it's a RE game.

shounenka

Nov 22, 2017
Yokohama
I did my part for software sales at launch with DS and Miles, but haven't felt compelled to buy anything for the platform since, sadly (Wanted to give R&C a try but the art style is just not my cup of tea). Next purchase after the Death Stranding upgrade (last gen...) will be Elden Ring I imagine, and even that is up in the air if the Xbox Series X version turns out to be superior.

Speaking of Xbox, while this is probably a non-factor in Japan overall given how small the user base is here, the value proposition of Gamepass makes me scrutinize any potential PS platform purchases FAR more than before. That's just the way it is now.

starfoxxxy

Gravity Is Hard
Banned
Mar 13, 2021
I did my part for software sales at launch with DS and Miles, but haven't felt compelled to buy anything for the platform since, sadly (Wanted to give R&C a try but the art style is just not my cup of tea). Next purchase after the Death Stranding upgrade (last gen...) will be Elden Ring I imagine, and even that is up in the air if the Xbox Series X version turns out to be superior.

Speaking of Xbox, while this is probably a non-factor in Japan overall given how small the user base is here, the value proposition of Gamepass makes me scrutinize any potential PS platform purchases FAR more than before. That's just the way it is now.

And this has what to do with software sales in japan?

Portodutch

Feb 17, 2021
Congrats.
Wonder if it can stay ahead of the PS4 and Vita in the long run as that would be a small success I imagine (going by the declining gens on PS)

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not much more to say that already hasn't been said.

Hardware sales are good but software sales over the last year across both PS4 and PS5 have been abysmal. At least if the consoles are being sent abroad software is presumably been bought elsewhere.

dose

Oct 29, 2017
Is physical software expensive over there? Just wondering if that's why software sales are so low.
Maybe more are buying digital?

Trafalgar Law

Nov 6, 2017
Would like to see if the kimetsu no yaiba can be the killer app to take it up
The franchise is crazy huge over there