• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Price is reasonable, basically the same if you pick up parts individually, plus you'll get that special edition wheel.

That being said, if you are somewhat serious about simracing (and Fanatec means you are), PC is the best choice as you can mix and match parts. PS5 will have only GT7, and they can even port it to PC down the line, so if anybody is thinking and has a good PC, I would recommend that route.
I'm noticing on their website that most of the expensive stuff is mix and match but this wheel seems kinda all-in-one. Does that impact its value? That is, would it not be better to do one of the DIY wheels for more flexibility going forward given this wheel in the OP has most things seemingly built into the wheel itself?

Foffy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
what is a load cell?

boost kit is what increases the force, right?

Load cell brakes focus on the force you press on the brake. Non-load cell pedals focus more on the travel. The boost kit increases the amount of force feedback, which most of those who've gotten it pre-release that it's a really significant upgrade.

Hope this info helps.

Tailzo

Fallen Guardian
Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure these are fantastic, but those prices are why I haven't bought any steering wheels since the Dreamcast (that one was cheap and great).

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
Load cells measure the pressure you put on the pedal not how far it moves to translate into the amount of braking force inside the game, its just a more accurate system.

The boost kit increases the amount of force feedback on the wheel yes.
Load cell brakes focus on the force you press on the brake. Non-load cell pedals focus more on the travel. The boost kit increases the amount of force feedback, which most of those who've gotten it pre-release that it's a really significant upgrade.

Hope this info helps.
yes tyvm!

sorry for the unlearned questions.

sounds like both are good upgrades, but the boost kit in particular is important. So if I want to get one of these, I should be looking for at least a boost kit variant? Ok cool. So I should be looking at $850 minimum, and $970 if I've lost my mind.

OP
OP
kostacurtas

kostacurtas

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure these are fantastic, but those prices are why I haven't bought any steering wheels since the Dreamcast (that one was cheap and great).
There are a lot non direct drive cheaper wheels available.

This is a direct drive wheel full bundle and the price to be honest is very reasonable.

fixing ranger

Aug 24, 2021
I'm noticing on their website that most of the expensive stuff is mix and match but this wheel seems kinda all-in-one. Does that impact its value? That is, would it not be better to do one of the DIY wheels for more flexibility going forward given this wheel in the OP has most things seemingly built into the wheel itself?

They have several types of wheels, some of them require their "podium", which is like a base to which you attach any rim you are interested, some of them are integrated wheels. This one seems to be integrated; regarding flexibility, it really depends on what type of games you are playing; if you play F1 and rally games, it usually means you need an F1 and a round wheel, so podium base might work better for you, but if one wheel suits you just fine, integrated is good enough.

This is definitely a quality bundle and the wheel will work on both PS5 and PC, so it is a good choice, if you are ready to get entry-level premium simracing gear.

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Price is reasonable, basically the same if you pick up parts individually, plus you'll get that special edition wheel.

That being said, if you are somewhat serious about simracing (and Fanatec means you are), PC is the best choice as you can mix and match parts. PS5 will have only GT7, and they can even port it to PC down the line, so if anybody is thinking and has a good PC, I would recommend that route.
Your statement is puzzling, if you look at this list...
fanatec.com

Fanatec

Yeah, I think all peripherals are PC compatible. I meant things like 3rd-party shifters and handbrakes mostly, or if you decide to upgrade pedals down the line to something non-Fanatec.

Moreover, this wheelbase is Xbox-compatible, so if you get a compatible wheel (just the rim), it will work there too. But it is PITA to be constrained like that, imo.
All peripheral and all wheels are compatible with both PS5 and PC with this base, as fanatec confirmed. It's only xbox that requires an xbox-chipped wheel. While PS4/5 requires a PS-chipped base.

MisterB_66

Oct 27, 2017
yes tyvm!

sorry for the unlearned questions.

sounds like both are good upgrades, but the boost kit in particular is important. So if I want to get one of these, I should be looking for at least a boost kit variant? Ok cool. So I should be looking at $850 minimum, and $970 if I've lost my mind.
Here are very long detailed looks at the PC version of the wheel and pedals ( I haven't watched the pedal one since it came out today)

JamboGT

Vehicle Handling Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
what is a load cell?

boost kit is what increases the force, right?

*glances at tag*

Which do you recommend? Or, is the upgraded version worth the price of admission?
Honestly, as of right now I can't say, haven't been able to try fanatecs direct drive wheel yet and I guess the earliest I will is in March. I would say that it can be upgraded at a later date if you feel the need.

A load cell replaces the potentiometer for the brake and makes the brake act like a real brake and therefore uses pressure rather than distance to apply brakes. Makes it a lot easier to build up muscle memory when braking so is actually a big upgrade.

My tag needs updated as I haven't been working as a handling designer for the last two years!

Plain old Game Designer lately!

fixing ranger

Aug 24, 2021
Your statement is puzzling, if you look at this list...
fanatec.com

Fanatec

All peripheral and all wheels are compatible with both PS5 and PC with this base, as fanatec confirmed. It's only xbox that requires an xbox-chipped wheel. While PS4/5 requires a PS-chipped base.

Oh, I meant exclusive, sorry about that, meaning that you can get the rest on PC. And you can't connect non-Fanatec shifter/handbrake on PlayStation/Xbox and expect it to work without a 3rd-party tool. Not a problem at first, but might be an annoying thing down the line when you are ready to upgrade individual components.

Gots

Feb 20, 2019
Canada
I've been looking to get into GT7 when it comes out and have been thinking about getting a wheel and pedals. Would this be the standard price range for these or would there be a popular model thats cheaper but still good?

MrFox

VFX Rendering Pipeline Developer
Verified
Jun 8, 2020
Oh, I meant exclusive, sorry about that, meaning that you can get the rest on PC. And you can't connect non-Fanatec shifter/handbrake on PlayStation/Xbox and expect it to work without a 3rd-party tool. Not a problem at first, but might be an annoying thing down the line when you are ready to upgrade individual components.
Oh yeah, with the third parties you're stuck with basically logitech, thrustmaster and now fanatec. There's a bunch of adapters available for the external ports on these wheel bases across multiple brands. But it's a bit messy.

The T8RS shifter works directly in USB besides any wheel, but it's game -dependent.

Afrikan

Oct 28, 2017
Does this have the "Depth Feedback" function the Thrustmaster T-GT wheel had? Some people felt it was gimmicky but for me driving without it felt empty and lifeless.

I only see them using the term force feedback, which I'm pretty sure isn't the same thing as the depth feedback on the T-GT.

Is that similar to Logitech's "TrueForce"?

I haven't set mines up yet, but that's going to be my imaginary Dualsense Feature for my G923 Wheel. lol.

Betta Lines

Oct 25, 2017
Is that similar to Logitech's "TrueForce"?

I haven't set mines up yet, but that's going to be my imaginary Dualsense Feature for my G923 Wheel. lol.
It isn't achieved in the same way, but the end effect is kinda similar. TrueForce sends extra fine vibrations through the normal force feedback motors, whereas the T-GT / T-GT II uses a separate transducer (a bit like a speaker) on the back of the base to create these extra vibrations. The Logitech is a gear-driven system, Thrustmaster is belt-driven. The Fanatec is direct-drive, which is the winning technology for force feedback.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
They have several types of wheels, some of them require their "podium", which is like a base to which you attach any rim you are interested, some of them are integrated wheels. This one seems to be integrated; regarding flexibility, it really depends on what type of games you are playing; if you play F1 and rally games, it usually means you need an F1 and a round wheel, so podium base might work better for you, but if one wheel suits you just fine, integrated is good enough.

This is definitely a quality bundle and the wheel will work on both PS5 and PC, so it is a good choice, if you are ready to get entry-level premium simracing gear.
Understood. TYVM!

Between this and my upcoming Virpil flight gear order, I'm finna be out a solid $2k just on controllers. But I really do want a good wheel again. I haven't had one since GT3 and it was damn near life-changing for my GT3 experience.

pain.jpg

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I've been looking to get into GT7 when it comes out and have been thinking about getting a wheel and pedals. Would this be the standard price range for these or would there be a popular model thats cheaper but still good?
There are cheaper wheels but this is the best when it comes to the wheel tech involved.

Iztok

Oct 27, 2017
I've been meaning to get a racing wheel setup for a while now and... this looks exactly like what I would want. The one thing is that I'm not sure where I would mount the thing. 🤔

It seems like they have an interesting workaround for platform lockouts -- the wheel bases can be licensed for Playstation consoles, the steering wheels can be licensed for Xbox consoles. So if you have a Sony-approved wheelbase and a Microsoft-approved steering wheel, you can use the setup on both consoles (and PC, obviously).

Well then.

If that's true, I'm getting 2 of these immediatelly. Any source on this, has someone tested it?

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017

It's possible to perform really well with the game using just a regular controller. One of the best GT Sport players started out using a DS4. Kaz has even heaped praise onto the DualSense. And if you get good enough that you can get to the higher levels of the FIA GT stuff, then i'm pretty sure Sony/Polyphony/Fanatec will even give you a free setup. That's what's happened with a lot of drivers for Sport.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
It's possible to perform really well with the game using just a regular controller. One of the best GT Sport players started out using a DS4. Kaz has even heaped praise onto the DualSense. And if you get good enough that you can get to the higher levels of the FIA GT stuff, then i'm pretty sure Sony/Polyphony/Fanatec will even give you a free setup. That's what's happened with a lot of drivers for Sport.
Yeah controllers are more than capable and I'd imagine with the dual sense triggers it can give way better feedback than ever about the road. And pressure on the brakes etc.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Well then.

If that's true, I'm getting 2 of these immediatelly. Any source on this, has someone tested it?

Can confirm. I had a different Fanatec PS4 wheel base with an Xbox rim. One and done with every console and PC.

The licensing agreements with Sony and MS basically enforce the PlayStation security chip gets put in the wheelbase(ie. The PS CSL DD per OP), while Xbox chip is placed in certain wheelrims or wheel adapters that attach to base. No component has the chips on the same product, but so long as one device with the chip is plugged in, you are good for that console. (PC works with everything obv). The two chips won't interfere with each other, they only look for their own and ignore the other.

If you get the Xbox universal adapter, you can literally attach any steering wheel, even real ones to it and you have a device that works with everything. Otherwise just need to look at their steering wheels to see which are Xbox capable. The McLaren V2 is ultra popular, as is the WRC Drift as well.

Fuhgeddit

#TeamThierry
Oct 27, 2017
I want one, but I also need some sort of chair that I can put away. It's probably such a hassle.

Rzarekta

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Will the GT Sport on PS4 wheel work on PS5? Is that the G29 maybe? Hopefully whichever one I used for PS4 is good to go for GT7

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
What's the best way to use these while sitting on a couch? I'm heavily considering going for this - but I've only used a Logitech option at a computer desk - but I want to use my PS5 on my wall-mounted OLED.

SolidSnakex

Oct 25, 2017
Will the GT Sport on PS4 wheel work on PS5? Is that the G29 maybe? Hopefully whichever one I used for PS4 is good to go for GT7

So long as the wheels are compatible with the PS5, then there's no reason why they shouldn't work with GT7.

What's the best way to use these while sitting on a couch? I'm heavily considering going for this - but I've only used a Logitech option at a computer desk - but I want to use my PS5 on my wall-mounted OLED.

This seems like it'd work

vivo-us.com

Racing Steering Wheel Stand

This sturdy and adjustable racing wheel stand gives your gaming experience a realistic feel as you conquer the race track or dominate the sky. The product includes the wheel and pedal stand with gear shifter mount only, so you can choose your preferred steering wheel, gear shifter, and pedals...

And more expensive options

Regions - WheelStandPro

Next Level Racing Wheel Stand | Next Level Racing

Next Level Racing Wheel Stand | Advanced Simulation Products

Last edited:

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm tempted to upgrade from my CSW 2.5 but only if they sell the wheelbase standalone. Don't need pedals...

Sim rig highly recommended for higher torque wheel bases btw.

Turnabout Sisters

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
zero urge to upgrade from my Thrustmaster T300 RS GT Edition, unless for some reason it doesn't work on PS5 when I get one

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
Is that if you have the 8nm or even with just the 5nm?

I'd say it'll depend on what you're mounting it to and what you're sitting in? G29 has just over 2nm of torque so it's still over twice are strong comparatively. You can always turn it down too. I dont run my 2.5 at 100% FF.

The other thing to consider is if you're gonna use a load cell brake.

Zaki2407

May 6, 2018
After I bought a G29 a few years ago, I cannot go back to traditional controller when playing racing game.
This wheel look sick.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
I'd say it'll depend on what you're mounting it to and what you're sitting in? G29 has just over 2nm of torque so it's still over twice are strong comparatively. You can always turn it down too. I dont run my 2.5 at 100% FF.

The other thing to consider is if you're gonna use a load cell brake.
I see with this wheel would those stands be decent or should look for something else?

Isamu

Dec 18, 2017
Downtown Rave City
If by any chance, any of you already own a PC DD wheel(Fanatec or otherwise), you are better off buying a GIMX adapter, which allows you to use *ANY* PC steering wheel and pedals on the PS3/PS4/PS5, and costs under $20. Save yourself $700 and thank me later.

UrAContra

May 24, 2020
Does this have the "Depth Feedback" function the Thrustmaster T-GT wheel had? Some people felt it was gimmicky but for me driving without it felt empty and lifeless.

I only see them using the term force feedback, which I'm pretty sure isn't the same thing as the depth feedback on the T-GT.

From looking at the description and Fanatec's previous wheels, not it won't have that feature but the force feedback will be a lot better than the T-GT since that's a belt driven wheel.

This bundle is a combination of the CSL DD (but with additional PS5 Support which isn't on that one), the CSL Pedals and a steering wheel (probably somewhere between https://fanatec.com/au-en/steering-wheels/csl-elite-steering-wheel-wrc and https://fanatec.com/au-en/steering-wheels/clubsport-steering-wheel-bmw-gt2 in quality). It has the same plugs and mounts so you could switch out any of these pieces for anything else in Fanatec's lineup if you ever watned to upgrade. This just gives all those parts in a bundle to make things easier and at the bottom of the page it says the PS5 version of the CSL DD will be available standalone at some point.

So long as the wheels are compatible with the PS5, then there's no reason why they shouldn't work with GT7.

This seems like it'd work

vivo-us.com

Racing Steering Wheel Stand

This sturdy and adjustable racing wheel stand gives your gaming experience a realistic feel as you conquer the race track or dominate the sky. The product includes the wheel and pedal stand with gear shifter mount only, so you can choose your preferred steering wheel, gear shifter, and pedals...

And more expensive options

Regions - WheelStandPro

Next Level Racing Wheel Stand | Next Level Racing

Next Level Racing Wheel Stand | Advanced Simulation Products

With a direct drive I'd recommend something sturdier like the https://nextlevelracing.com/products/racing-wheel-stand-2-0/ or https://nextlevelracing.com/products/next-level-racing-wheel-stand-dd-for-direct-drive-wheels/ since this wheel is a lot more powerful than the Logitech's and base level Thrustmaster wheels than the wheel stand pro is designed for.

zero urge to upgrade from my Thrustmaster T300 RS GT Edition, unless for some reason it doesn't work on PS5 when I get one

I've been using mine to play GT Sport on the PS5 so there shouldn't be any reason that it wouldn't work with GT7 or any other PS5 game. Sony said so last year too. https://www.gtplanet.net/ps5-supports-ps4-driving-wheels-20200803/

UrAContra

May 24, 2020

Something like the Thrustmaster T150 or T300 is much more affordable and still quite good. The Gran Turismo DD Pro is definitely for enthusiasts who are really into sim racing. You can be as fast when using the cheaper wheels but the more expensive ones are slightly more immersive and help your consistency.

fixing ranger

Aug 24, 2021

Honestly, this bundle is for people who already know they like simracing and want some good quality gear. It is not the best, but definitely high level.

For true entry level, you have Logitech G29 or Thrustmaster T150/T300, which are more affordable and should be good enough for your first wheel. If you just want a wheel to play from time to time, they are perfectly fine, they are just not that immersive and precise in their feedback.