jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
it's a good game but people are out of control

the puzzles are a little zelda-y, but they're still very much like god of war puzzles have always been
Its the camera, lol.

In another thread I said it's definitely God of War. It's funny what a different camera angle does.

I did think some of the puzzles would have been hard to do with the old camera.

Strat

"This guy are sick"
Apr 8, 2018
It's not about making valid, logical comparisons. "God of War is the new Tomb Raider 2013" isn't sexy enough.
It has to be, because otherwise I'm really having a super difficult time seeing how anyone could compare it to anything else.

Everybody, please. It is Tomb Raider. The games are directly comparable.

King Dodongo

Oct 27, 2017
Too bad Kratos is generally unlikable, or is the new bearded one at least somewhat not a pathetic being? If so, I'll try to convince a friend to rent it if thats the case.

RevenantAxe

Banned
Apr 16, 2018
Cory Barlog himself said that he took inspiration from TR to design open hub world design. It's lot like TR/ Arkham and Darksiders. Why people get upset over TR comparison? TR games are also fantastic.

Cory Barlog is huge fan of both new TR games.

Game takes inspiration from Dark Souls as well in terms of combat .There's nothing unique or original about the game but I'm not complaining coz it's awesome with lot of epic moments.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
Cory also worked on TR2013.

In many ways, GOW is a refinement and superior execution of the ideas that ROTR has; especially in how it blends the sidequest and exploration elements into the flow of the broader story.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Cory Barlog himself said that he took inspiration from TR to design open hub world design. It's lot like TR/ Arkham and Darksiders. Why people get upset over TR comparison? TR games are also fantastic.

Cory Barlog is huge fan of both new TR games.

Game takes inspiration from Dark Souls as well in terms of combat .There's nothing unique or original about the game but I'm not complaining coz it's awesome with lot of epic moments.
It's the same reason fans get upset when people mention the inspiration from TLOU. Because they cannot accept that this thing they love could possible have come from any other recent game. Somehow a comparison makes a work lesser than if it was some unique baby born from a void of pure creative vision. Aka: People are dumb.

Kliemie

Oct 26, 2017
I totally agree with OP.
As an old skool Zelda fan, I didnt like Botw that much.
GoW has filled the Ocarina gameplay adventure gap, added the DarkSould/Bloodborne battle experience and strong story driven from Last of Us... So far GOTY for me!!

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
How challenging are the puzzles in the game?
The majority of the puzzles are more like Where's Waldo than figuring out how to apply your tools to the environment. The ones which do are pretty good, but the chest puzzles mostly involve looking around the area for the 3 runes to throw your axe at. Sometimes they are hidden in clever ways, but most of the time they're just hard to see because there's so much shit everywhere.

Yoshi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Let's not get carried away
I suppose it is better than Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess, but so far I haven't found anything that makes me think it is better than Ocarina or Wind Waker. We'll see where I end up with it as I play through it.
Which is strange, because Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess are better than OoT and especially Wind Waker.

How is the combat though, in GoW? In the older games it was rather fast, even though also a bit dumb. I fear the new GoW may have taken some inspirations from the Souls games and there are few things that I hate more than the slow-as-molasses commitment-action-systems from games like Souls or Monster Hunter. From the small amount of stuff I have read, I would have gotten the impression that GoW is more like a slow-down (Souls-style) of God of War with a larger emphasis on Hollywood-design like found in Uncharted for instance (which I also do not like). If it is more like puzzle-Zelda (i.e. Zelda 3-SS), then it could be a strong reason to buy a PS4.

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Explain it to me please. Does this game play like last of us? Or more like open world? Im not against last of us, in fact i bought the game two times, but i just want to be convinced on how this game plays out

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Which is strange, because Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess are better than OoT and especially Wind Waker.

How is the combat though, in GoW? In the older games it was rather fast, even though also a bit dumb. I fear the new GoW may have taken some inspirations from the Souls games and there are few things that I hate more than the slow-as-molasses commitment-action-systems from games like Souls or Monster Hunter. From the small amount of stuff I have read, I would have gotten the impression that GoW is more like a slow-down (Souls-style) of God of War with a larger emphasis on Hollywood-design like found in Uncharted for instance (which I also do not like). If it is more like puzzle-Zelda (i.e. Zelda 3-SS), then it could be a strong reason to buy a PS4.

It's kind of in-between old GoW and Souls, leaning a bit closer to the former.

Also, there is an insane amount of optional content that focuses on combat, so I wouldn't worry about "Hollywood-design" in that sense.

duckroll

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Singapore
Explain it to me please. Does this game play like last of us? Or more like open world? Im not against last of us, in fact i bought the game two times, but i just want to be convinced on how this game plays out
It's like Darksiders. There is a central hub zone with a lot of secrets and optional stuff to find, but the story always takes you to more linear areas with some goodies hidden around if you bother to explore the extra paths along the way. It's not like TLOU. There's backtracking. It's a big interconnected world. Late in the game "fast" travel is unlocked.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It has to be, because otherwise I'm really having a super difficult time seeing how anyone could compare it to anything else.

Everybody, please. It is Tomb Raider. The games are directly comparable.
What? It's nothing like the new Tomb Raider games.

Yes the Tomb Raider games have "hub" worlds, but they're so empty and barren it all goes to waste

At least GOW has you discovering new areas for a reason.

IndustryX

Dec 9, 2017
I couldn't stop thinking about how similar this game felt to Zelda during my play through (exploration wise) Nice to know some feel similar.

Tibarn

Oct 31, 2017
Barcelona
Sometimes they are hidden in clever ways, but most of the time they're just hard to see because there's so much shit everywhere.
Exactly. And the close camera doesn't help. They're never hard, but sometimes are annoying.

Explain it to me please. Does this game play like last of us? Or more like open world?
The first hours are pretty linear, then the game opens a little bit with a hub, but the areas are mostly linear with some secrets here and there.
The only real open areas are lakes where you sail a little boat to reach the linear segments.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
What? It's nothing like the new Tomb Raider games.

Yes the Tomb Raider games have "hub" worlds, but they're so empty and barren it all goes to waste

At least GOW has you discovering new areas for a reason.
you discover new areas for a reason in tomb raider too

also the things you discover in tomb raider is incredibly similar to this game. the only major difference is loot

Ocean Bones

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
God of war is everything apparently, except its own thing.

It's RE4!
It's OoT!
It's TR13
It's TLOU
It's Souls!
It's super mario 64 reborn!

I guess I agree with you in some ways. I think were gonna give some people the wrong idea though. God of war is God of war y'all .

Hero of Winds

Oct 28, 2017
Was just about to start playing when I saw this post. Now I'm way more excited lmao

I love BoTW and I like where it's taking the series, but there will always be a place in my heart for the classic formula.

StormEagle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
The new God of War is a top down action adventure on a '2D' overworld? Now that is interesting.
I know it is not and I have read the OP. But that is what I understand by "old-school" Zelda. OP means 3D Zelda. So this old-school Zelda fan does not feel more inclined to get the game 'cause of this thread.
Also Breath of the Wild is just one game. Extrapolating that all Zelda games from now on will be like it and "abandon the Zelda formula" is a little bit premature.

Riderz1337

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
you discover new areas for a reason in tomb raider too

also the things you discover in tomb raider is incredibly similar to this game. the only major difference is loot
It didn't feel like that at all to me in TR. more like a chore/checklist rather than something I was actually interested in exploring. Game bore me to death, especially the new one.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
Why is there a need to compare every single Sony exclusive to Zelder?

God of War always functioned that way. You get items to advance to former unreachable places in already visited areas. You also solved puzzles to advance or get powerups, but the focus was always on the combat.

It has a metroidvania touch and that's about it. The difference is that the new game is more open with a hub-world and optional areas, but still mostly linear.

takriel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It certainly feels like a game that respects the player. Enemies are pretty challenging on the hard difficulty. Clever level design draws your attention to points of interest and progression, without the game needing to spell it out for you where to go next. The story so far is really well done and better than many movies nowadays. Atreus can be hit or miss, though. I like him in the context of the story and as a solid co-fighter, but his one-liners during combat can become tiresome. That's one thing I wish the devs hadn't taken over from Naughty Dog. The boy simply talks too much to the point of making the experience less realistic than it could be.

AlexBasch

Oct 27, 2017
I stopped liking Zelda right after Wind Waker. So I suppose I fit into that category?

Because if so, I'm even more interested about this.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just have to comment here for posterity as this was the thread where I got very confused at people with the same avatar posting very different things only to then realise it's a general Era logo thing. Whoops, I just woke up lol.

But on topic I'm going to buy the game today and I'll be intrigued to see if this comparison is apt. Hopefully the insane hype over here doesn't overly exaggerate things overall.

Morfeo

Oct 25, 2017
Old-school Zelda excels in puzzles, which does not seem to be a big part of this game. But cool that they have adopted the progression system.

lordlad

Banned for trolling with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Singapore
I stopped liking Zelda right after Wind Waker. So I suppose I fit into that category?

Because if so, I'm even more interested about this.

there's quite abit of boat ride so i think you will do fine. The combat is the greatest aspect. It takes some time to get used to as you can't mash your way to victory but once you get the hang of it, it's literally 'axe ballet'...

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
God of war is everything apparently, except its own thing.

It's RE4!
It's OoT!
It's TR13
It's TLOU
It's Souls!
It's super mario 64 reborn!

I guess I agree with you in some ways. I think were gonna give some people the wrong idea though. God of war is God of war y'all .

I think that is fine. GoW is a cocktail of a lot of elements that had worked in other games, I'm not sure if it did anything particularly innovative and added much that is completely new to gaming, but the blend is very well executed and is a lot of fun.

Deleted member 9971

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sounds awesome i love zelda n metroid will get it in the summer sale.
Got a few other games to play + had some expensive things to pay so ye ill have to wait.

Can't wait tho! I need to play dis.

Xeontech

Oct 28, 2017
Oot is one of my goat, and I feel it's a good comparison. But here's the thing:

Combat, gameplay, visuals and story are actually far ahead of oot.

Rpg elements, progression and gear are pretty even.

Puzzles are not as good as oot.

But on higher difficulty, the game becomes almost soulsbourne esque. Boss fights are on a whole other level. It's blending two of my favorite genres of all time in an amazing way, and it may just get ahead of oot in my goat list because of it.

Fcking amazing game.

Oct 27, 2017
Love the first 3 God of War games, haven't gotten a chance to play this one yet, but yeah from I can see it does kind of look traditional/classic 3D Zelda-esque in some ways. Some of the puzzles with the frost axe seem very Zelda-y in particular. I'm not surprised though seeing as the series has always worn its OoT influence on its sleeve in regards to puzzle design and progression, its one of the things I love about it.
Like, maaan...(while fun in its own right) dumb old BotW might as well be a new IP or some shit because all the stuff that I really loved about post-ALTTP 3D Zelda was basically tossed in the basement. And what really sucks is that EPD probably won't make a classic AAA OoT style game for another 15 years.

If the new GoW can truly scratch that old school 3D Zelda itch in some sort of way, even if its in the smallest of ways, it'll be one of my fav games ever. :P

ShinySunny

Banned
Dec 15, 2017
As a longtime Zelda fan, I'm interested - but the gore and violence the series is known for put me off. How bad is it in the new GoW?

Meh.
They tame it down a lot.
Like alllllllllllllllllll the way down to 3. I was disappointed at some of the cutscene where I expected blood...but meh.

Honestly, you see more blood and gore in Ratchet & Clank than GOW if you consider oils/clogs=gores for robots.

Red Alert

Banned
Mar 25, 2018
About 20 hours in, it's like a baby game. No nudity at all, enemies are mostly all monsters and undead. Any time there's any violence against actual humans, it's either off camera or the game makes a huge deal about how it's very bad and people should feel bad about being angry and violent. Very preachy game. I love it. Feels like a direct kick in the face at anyone who actually enjoyed the mean spirited violence and torture in the old God of War games. I hope those fans feel alienated and reflect on their gross preferences.

Almost like those fans didnt make this franchise biggest of playstation. You are sick dude stop with shaming who liked old gow games.

Ffs all you need to stop blaming violence in video games , go play zelda if you dont like it.