• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
wait how did you do that?

The discount?

vAvL03s.png

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Ubisoft is on a good trajectory. Origins and Far Cry 5 have made some great improvements to both series, even if they need to do a better job with story.

God I keep forgetting about arcade mode too. It's honestly incredible and I can't wait to see how it grows.

m43lstr0m

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pretty much every online retailer were selling the Uplay version (at 10-20% off too), so all those Steam purchases were bought strait from the Steam client without any sort of discount.

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The writing is still garbage but the gameplay and design of the world has never been this good.
Far Cry 2's writing was not "garbage". Nor was Far Cry: Blood Dragon, Far Cry 4's, nor Far Cry: Primal's. I'd go so far as to say Far Cry 4's writing ranks among the best in videogames. The ending in particular is transcendent. It's an ending with the kind of depth, nuance, and gravity that most videogames wish they had.

The complication with Far Cry 5 is that over the past few years Ubisoft have been exploring non-linear storytelling. We saw it with Ghost Recon: Wildlands. You just plonk the player in a massive open world, and then instruct them to explore the world and work towards the end goal by completing side tasks in any order they please. This makes telling a traditional linear story rather difficult, and to some extent this is intentional because Ubisoft have come to believe that players don't want a traditional linear story. They want a player-driven anecdote machine. This is an approach that is obviously working for them, and you see strong elements of it in AC: Origins' approach to plot progression, too, but the end result is that a game like Far Cry 5 lacks the strong central plot thread of a game like Far Cry 4.

Fart Master

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A dumpster
Far Cry 2's writing was not "garbage". Nor was Far Cry: Blood Dragon, Far Cry 4's, nor Far Cry: Primal's. I'd go so far as to say Far Cry 4's writing ranks among the best in videogames. The ending in particular is transcendent. It's an ending with the kind of depth, nuance, and gravity that most videogames wish they had.

The complication with Far Cry 5 is that over the past few years Ubisoft have been exploring non-linear storytelling. We saw it with Ghost Recon: Wildlands. You just plonk the player in a massive open world, and then instruct them to explore the world and work towards the end goal by completing side tasks in any order they please. This makes telling a traditional linear story rather difficult, and to some extent this is intentional because Ubisoft have come to believe that players don't want a traditional linear story. They want a player-driven anecdote machine. This is an approach that is obviously working for them, and you see strong elements of it in AC: Origins' approach to plot progression, too, but the end result is that a game like Far Cry 5 lacks the strong central plot thread of a game like Far Cry 4.
I can't agree about the writing being good in 2 and 4 but I've never played primal so maybe that's decent.

Deleted member 224

Oct 25, 2017
I can't agree about the writing being good in 2 and 4 but I've never played primal so maybe that's decent.
The writing in primal is overall pretty poor. I do think there are a ton of missed opportunities with Far Cry 5 that weren't there in the past games though. So in that way this game is definitely worse. But the improvements made to the franchise make up for it imo

Nintendo

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Annoying thing about this is, it only can be done once, yet you still have that message pop up in the web store and uplay client even after redeemed points and used your coupon.

I think the FC5 offer is different. I've used the generic discount before but also used the FC5 one.

Rizific

Oct 27, 2017
Maaaaaaan, I bought ac origins a few weeks ago and played it for a few hours. Then ffxv came out on pc then I bought that and put in about 20 hours. THEN vermintide 2 came out and now I'm 30hrs into that. I won't get home until Sunday so I gotta wait until then to play. How do I hold all these games?

OP
OP
Benji

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's significantly more than I was expecting, Ubisoft must be really happy with these numbers since they get to keep all the money from every sale.

Yeah it wasn't probably quite 50% but around there judging Beta number pre launch split and also by early comparison done at launch with total players compared with SteamSpy results. Launch was probably for sure above 40% on Uplay

I suspect the longer a game is out the lower the split is for Uplay but likely launch time frame is very high. As all 3rd party key sellers as well as physical editions of Ubisoft games will all be Uplay copies

Kuosi

Oct 30, 2017
Finland
They don't exist. If you buy a key it's Uplay only. Otherwise you have to pay full price on Steam.

Also I'm not sure if you guys have looked at Ubisoft games on CDKeys recently, but the discounts have been about $5 at most.
Far Cry 5 was on cdkeys for like 44€, personally bought it through Humble

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
When and if total launch shipment numbers come in (including console) people are gonna be shocked probably.

I was under the impression (Era bubble I guess) there wasn't Far Cry 3 or 4 levels of hype around this game. Glad to eat crow so to say, really like this series and will definitely pick this game up, but I need to clear some other games first.

Gurish

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Mar 20, 2018
All the stats that I've seen so far are related to steam and the PC version.

It's great but obviously a big AAA title like that must sell amazing on consoles as well for Ubi to consider it a success.

There is no reason to assume it didn't but still, I didn't see any sign for it.

2Blackcats

Oct 26, 2017
All the stats that I've seen so far are related to steam and the PC version.

It's great but obviously a big AAA title like that must sell amazing on consoles as well for Ubi to consider it a success.

There is no reason to assume it didn't but still, I didn't see any sign for it.

It's still the number one game on amazon for xbox and ps4. That's just counting the regular sku too.

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Very impressive performance. Is the story any good?

It's really good but poorly told if that makes sense. The villains are fantastic, and their scenes are amazing. The atmosphere and plotting are very well done, but the way the main missions flow is a major letdown (it's tied to game mechanics and is kinda spoilery).

Still it's good.

Oct 26, 2017
Belarus
Yeah, great numbers, March Steam Charts thread would be interesting, anyone hyped?
I guess nobody as usual, sorry for shameless promotion

Alexandros

Oct 26, 2017
Ubisoft is really killing it with its open world and GaaS focus. What was the last Ubi game that underwhelmed, maybe Far Cry Primal?

Nov 4, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Bad insinuation of another poster's intention and agenda. Previous history of console war bias.
For example For Honor's launch, likely close to half of all its units sold on PC were done through UPlay.

How much are they paying you?

It must be nice coming on here and get paid for corporate sycophancy...Particularly for scumbag Ubisoft and it's anti-consumer policies - that takes a specific kind of individual.

OP
OP
Benji

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How much are they paying you?

It must be nice coming on here and get paid for corporate sycophancy...Particularly for scumbag Ubisoft and it's anti-consumer policies - that takes a specific kind of individual.

Unfortunately I get paid $0 to come talk about the sales industry on this forum. Certainly would be nice though

Ubisoft if you are out there reading, you can send me a check anytime you feel up to it