• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Despite releasing in the first quarter of the year, Far Cry 5 is the fastest selling game in the franchise's history (in the UK, anyway).

It's a well received game and has had a strong launch campaign. But it's also arrived during one of the quietest starts to the year we've seen for console games, and has capitalised on that fact - Far Cry 5 is comfortably the biggest name on the schedule for the first six months of the year, and the biggest launch of 2018 to-date.

It also happens to be the most successful game to ever launch during 'week 13', beating the previous record holder - BioShock Infinite.

In addition, the PS4 version of the game is the sixth biggest launch of a Ubisoft game on an individual format in UK chart history. The PS4 version accounted for 60% of the game's sales.

Note: this is just boxed sales. Digital sales are not included.

It means last week's No.1, the Xbox One exclusive Sea of Thieves, drops to No.3. The game suffered a 52% drop in sales, which is actually not that bad for a AAA console game.
https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...5-uk-launch-is-the-biggest-in-far-cry-history

MOD EDIT: Removed entire article, reduced to summary.

Last edited by a moderator:

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
That Detective Pikachu surge tho...

Interesting to see that the results have been released early for a change. Probably for the best considering the bank holiday.

Can't really comment on FC because I know nothing of the series.

Box

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lancashire
They need to start squashing those bugs. They're outstaying their welcome.

That FIFA UK money machine.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
With a definitely huge digital split, this game is going to have a crazy large opening.

Ubisoft has been nuts this gen. Not even their bizarre Rabbid's collab could stop them!

EndlessNever

Oct 25, 2017
Ubi keeps making the right moves, and I'm more than happy to support them. Far Cry 5 is a huge step-up in quality since Far Cry 3 and more than anything, it's fun.

As well, even though they are doing lots of sequels, they still dabble in new IP's too. It's very positive overall from them.

Brucey

Jan 2, 2018
I thought this was going to bomb a month ago. I thought the same with wildlands. I'm gonna stop thinking when it comes to Ubisoft lol.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Dont forget Wildlands.

For Honor was excellent too, and hearing great things about Marion and rabbids and watch dogs 2

Ubisoft really has been killing it recently. Well deserved, there making great games. R6 Siege and For Honor being highlights

Can't wait to play far cry 5 and AC Origins during the summer when I hopefully have my new PC

unfashionable

Oct 29, 2017
Great game, a fantastic looking PC port same launch date as console, nice to see. Between this and AC Origins its really encouraging to see quality single player games can be successful and not just MP games like PUBG, Fortnite - and sea of thieves seems to have sold very well despite the lack of content

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Meanwhile, on Steam:

C18n6HC.png

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
I really cannot get into this game. Don't know why I thought I would, I bounced off of 3 and 4 as well.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Congrats Ubisoft. Not a fan of Far Cry but my game of the year was Mario Rabbids. Keeping making great games.

Also Mario Kart on Switch is something. Wonder where it's gonna end in the long run.

Certinfy

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Great to see, game is amazing.

The Crew 2 is definitely going to do great numbers too. Despite the hate the first got from many it still sold very well.

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that makes this even more impressive is the rise of digital, it still being above every previous Far Cry.

Far Cry 3 surpassed 10 million sales a little less than 2 years after launch. Will be fun to see how quickly Far Cry 5 will pass that number.

ashtaar

Oct 27, 2017
When you consider that digital is getting bigger and bigger than this is even more impressive
I'm enjoying it so far, played some coop with my cousin excellent game so far

Benji

Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do we have any estimates yet?

This game gonna smash 10M within months.

No estimates for WW yet. We know Steam is well over 500k, and with Uplay PC total might be at or close to 1 million.

We know Far Cry 5 physical is higher than Bioshock Infinite so over 130k physical in the UK.

Ubisoft are probably wanting a full week of sales before putting out PR. I would suspect we will hear the shipment number for Week 1 sometime between Monday - Wednesday next week. The game is smashing so Ubi is going to want to put some PR out there for it.