Oct 26, 2017
Not gonna lie, it's an actionable rip-off, but I listened to the Buckcherry song (twice!) and it's a lot better than the true original. I always hated KISS; the production on their albums is so bad.
I've never cared for KISS, but then out of nowhere this year their history and internal drama started to intrigue me.

Here's Ace commenting on Buckcherry.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
i dont think anybody answered if Marilyn Manson counts?

if so, that all the way

OP
OP
Arc

Arc

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Butt rock can be applied to multiple eras, the label transcends generations.

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
In the weak and the wounded
Wait, I thought it was determined by the proximity of the guitarists butt to the ground when they really get into a tasty solo.

6043960.jpg

Tegami

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how many people remember this one, but Paul Gordon's "Let's Kick it Up" from Digimon: The Movie really stuck with me.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
The real definition of Butt Rock is "any rock music I don't like." The proper term for what the OP is looking for is Post-Grunge.

lil jetski

Nov 1, 2017
Butt rock: Creed, Three doors down, Nickelback, The Calling
Kinda butt rock: Audioslave, Queens of the stone age.

Fans of the latter often take offense to being associated with butt rockery, but lets be honest

EDIT and if someone for whatever reason wants the definition of butt rock, you play them Anthrax' supremely hilarious cover of New noise.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Wtf? Where did you hear that definition.

The term comes from a nationwide advertising campaign on hard-rock radio stations in the 1990s that used the tagline "Rock. Nothing but Rock." Listeners quickly changed that to "Nothing Butt Rock." Though it refers to anything played on hard-rock stations, it commonly is used to refer to 'hair-bands' or used by people to distinguish the 'bad' butt rock from the hard rock that they like.

Yeah, I came into the thread expecting to talk about some late 80's / early 90's hair metal, and the OP links Seether? At least I remember the term being thrown at hair bands, but I never really knew why. Thanks for the explanation! So in my opinion, basically anything that was played on Headbanger's Ball back in the day qualifies. To those scratching their heads, MTV aka "Music Television" used to play music videos, lol! This thread is a bit of a mess with people linking 00's post-grunge and Sheryl Crow, lol, here is my contribution to try to get the thread back on track:

L.A. Guns - One More Reason (1988)
Fun fact: Back in the day, the guitarist "Tracii Guns" formed a band with Axl Rose, but Tracii soon left. He is the "Guns" in "Guns N' Roses."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBrHqKIywQI

weremichael

Oct 27, 2017
Rocky Mountains
but that's not the definition. I am old enough to remember the hair bands and excessively gratuitous guitar solos that are butt rock. Hell, I've seen some of it in concert when my sister was still alive (she loved Def Leppard, Dokken, Warrant etc.). The one that pops into my head is Billy Squier "The Stroke." I hate the song though, so I guess I didn't follow the rules.

Strangelove_77

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's not buttrock. It's not even close. That's more of a ballad.

Outside of the 80s I would personally describe buttrock as hard rock/metal songs about partying and having a good time. Songs with some machismo. Seether is definitely none of that.

Last edited:

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how many people remember this one, but Paul Gordon's "Let's Kick it Up" from Digimon: The Movie really stuck with me.

By god, was that dub trash. I mean, the original films aren't Speilberg either,. But even still, the forced blending 3 unrelated movies was just amateur hour.

Like others have said, Crush40 instantly springs to mind when I hear the term. But you could also extend that to every Sonic song with lyrics (barring Sonic R)

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
This aggressive millennial appropriation of the original X'er usage cannot stand! Do you really want the likes of this lumped in with Staind or whatever crud you poor unfortunate souls had to grow up with:

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's unfortunate they had to hitch their wagon to the whole glam rock thing. I wonder what they would've been like if they emerged after Nirvana/AiC/Soundgarden wiped all that away.
Yeah it was a really bad decision to jump on that bandwagon image-wise, since their songs were always there for 13+ albums. They got their initial attention, but in the tail-end of something that would later be looked at as (rightfully) silly. I'm not sure if you've heard anything past the 1st album, but they continued to deliver. I could seriously debate which song out of like, 50 to link, but I'll just choose this one recent-ish ballad that's stuck out to me lately -- since you chose a different ballad, Fly High:

Joni Lynn (2010) - A break-up song about the singer/songwriter's recent ex-wife.

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah shame Derek Frigo OD'd and died too. He was a pretty ripping guitar player.

Amazing that some folks on a new board like ResetERA know history on a band that whoever I try to talk to about to anyone, no one's ever heard of! Massive props for knowing the lead guitarist (who unfortunately passed away).

JJAwiiu

Oct 27, 2017
The dude's voice is waaaaay too high to qualify as butt rock.
The song isn't great and the singer is high pitched and annoying, like you said. But it is NOT less "butt metal" for being high-pitched. In fact, "high vocals" tend more towards butt-rock, don't they? For example, The Darkness is way more "Butt-Rock" than fuckin' Seether, who always tries to stay in super low-pitch. That's post-grunge, not butt-metal.

Rad Bandolar

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Yeah it was a really bad decision to jump on that bandwagon image-wise, since their songs were always there for 13+ albums. They got their initial attention, but in the tail-end of something that would later be looked at as (rightfully) silly. I'm not sure if you've heard anything past the 1st album, but they continued to deliver. I could seriously debate which song out of like, 50 to link, but I'll just choose this one recent-ish ballad that's stuck out to me lately -- since you chose a different ballad, Fly High:

Joni Lynn (2010) - A break-up song about the singer/songwriter's recent ex-wife.

I'll definitely check out their other work, thanks for the recommendation. I have to admit that due to where I was at during that time & place, I pretty much lumped them in with all the other stuff and never really thought much about them after '91. But I'm always open to going back and checking out stuff that I foolishly dismissed during my misguided youth.

who's the original butt rock band?

That's a good question. The crowd I ran with probably would've said something like Whitesnake, but I once got into a fight when I accused Motley Crue of being butt rock, but my Megadeath shirt gave me +10 defense and I somehow extricated myself from it without major damage and the other dude's hair somehow caught fire.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
I once got told sone of the music I listen to is butt rock from a girl who thought she was punk because she listened to blink 182 and new found glory. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Syder

The Moyes are Back in Town
Oct 25, 2017
Most WWE themes from the early 2000s to now qualify as butt-rock

Gonna have to go with Edge's theme, Metalingus, as my favourite though

You think you know me

Onebadlion

Oct 27, 2017
I'd call Bush butt rock, going off what's been mentioned so far. Especially Razorblade Suitcase, but Glycerine is peak butt rock

Cranster

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sorry... i remember this term butt rock being associated with hair metal/glam of the 80's
Now you're saying it's about post-grunge 90's and 2000 bands?

WTF
The term for 80's glam bands is "cock rock". Butt rock fits post-grunge because most of it sounds like shit!

teruterubozu

Oct 28, 2017
That's a good question. The crowd I ran with probably would've said something like Whitesnake, but I once got into a fight when I accused Motley Crue of being butt rock, but my Megadeath shirt gave me +10 defense and I somehow extricated myself from it without major damage and the other dude's hair somehow caught fire.

Whitesnake was originally a classy blues band made of ex-Deep Purple guys. Their buttrock hair metal stage is unfortunately the one most people are familiar with. But by that point it was really the Dave Coverdale project and none of the longtime original members were in the band.

Oct 25, 2017
Is Stone Sour butt rock? If so, then most stuff by them for me. They're still kind of my guilty pleasure band. I used to be big into Slipknot and other junk like that in high school, but Stone Sour is the only hard rock band I really go back to now.