Favourite (mainline) Shin Megami Tensei?

• Shin Megami Tensei

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • Shin Megami Tensei II

Votes: 7 1.9%
  • Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

Votes: 152 42.3%
  • Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey

Votes: 76 21.2%
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV

Votes: 95 26.5%
  • Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse

Votes: 23 6.4%
  • Shin Megami Tensei V

Votes: 61 17.0%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
Nocturne > SJ > 4A > 2 > V > 1

I really hope that the new version of V elevates the game because I do think it can happen.

Also Apocalypse is super underrated, I know that the story has some stupid as fuck moments but the QOL/combat changes are soooooooo good.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Nocturne is my favorite, but I should give IV Apocalypse another try (only played a couple hours and it seemed decent). Really didn't like the gameplay in IV, but it seemed like Apocalypse fixed a lot of gameplay issues. V had a lot of strengths but also a lot of weaknesses, so I'm curious if the enhanced version will push it into the lead.

kamineko

Linked the Fire
Oct 25, 2017
Accardi-by-the-Sea
I should add that I liked IV: A a lot. If the final dungeon hadn't annoyed me as much as it did, I would have rated it higher. But I think all of them are worth playing, so long as you can meet them where they are. I doubt I'll ever turn on my 3DS again, but if the 3DS duology ever made it to another system, I'd buy both games again.

AmethusD

Jul 20, 2023
SMT 4 is my favorite despite balance issues. Besides Digital Devil Saga it was the first SMT game I played exactly when it released. The atmosphere and music are amazing and I still remember how amazing visiting Tokyo and the 'reactor' for the first time was.

I went on a tear of the franchise around November of last year and I only think my least favorites were MT1 and SMT1 but more due to how grating they can get. I was still able to enjoy the vibes. Everyone's kind of brought up how good Strange Journey is rad, Nocturne is amazing etc. and I totally agree. The franchise is so cool and I'm really looking forward to Vengeance because it was super fun.

Marmoka

Oct 27, 2017
My favorite is SMT IV followed by V.

SMT IV has a great story and gameplay. Of course the story has its issues if you take the neutral route, but great overall. Meanwhile V has a horrible story, but the gameplay is the very best in the series.

Then we would have Nocturne, which has a great story and worldbuilding, but the game is starting to show its age. SMT IV:A improves the gameplay of the predecesor, but I don't like the story at all. And Strange Journey is very hard and frustrating and tedious to play.

I have not played SMT II, and I started playing SMT I but I had to stop because it became boring.