Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
I mean, I'm not lecturing anyone and apologize if it that comes off that way. A key distinction I would make is I'm not even pushing any one strategy over theirs, I'm just not crazy about the use of numbers here. All that with respect to what you've said about how a lot of other men respond to them, and FFs other work as well.

Edit: To be clear, I said "lacking" because that's literally how o feel about the approach here. I don't "disagree" - I would never suggest that data isn't valuable - I think more than just data is required to make the argument.

I guess I'm not following you, because to me they aren't lacking and they have provided more than just "data" to make the argument. Their entire video series is qualitative analysis of tropes.

Militaratus

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I feel like the multiple options should be split into Male Dominant and Female Dominant. So for example, you can play as a female, but the shown gameplay/cinematic is either male only, or runtime is primarily displays the male playable characters, and/or boxart reveals display only or predominantly the male playable characters, then this will be a clear vote on Male Dominant. If the exact opposite occurs, so female characters are more the focus, it will be Female Dominant.

If the games were analyzed in this fashion, Male and Male Dominant combination would still clearly outpace the Female and Female Dominant combination.

TSM

Oct 27, 2017
The way the percentages are moving in the chart it makes it seem like gender specific sole protagonists in general are on their way out in AAA gaming. It makes sense since maximum inclusiveness probably equates to maximum sales potential.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Diversity as a numbers game just strikes me as clinical and cold to the touch. It's like, what does it matter that there are so many more games starring men if half of those characters aren't even compelling, if they're much more than a silent self-insert to begin with? It's not just stats - it's not just representation. You've got to give people compelling characters with depth to them as well as diversify.

It's just unfortunate that Sarkeesian's analysis continues to be this way. We never get deeper readings of the games, in proper context (like how they just throw in remasters here. I mean, huh?), the games just get filed away based on tropes or stats. It's a very old schtick at this point.
Nah, as a gay man, I'd happily take literally any homosexual that isnt stereotypically androgynous/flamboyant/predatory regardless of depth. Even a silent protagonist who is in a relationship/cartoonishly shows attraction to dudes.

Representation is representation, it doesnt have to be ground breaking or deep, it just has to not be gross.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
I have to echo the sentiment that the increase in multiple options is a sign of progress.

I hope the ubisoft style "same personality for both" does not become a trend.. if it's just cosmetic paint and change in waistline, they can keep just one of them to me (the Woman preferably ;) but i am partial ).
I don't play enough games to try every single player game with multiple options, but the later one was not great (very limited personal experience, i concur, and i would love to read that indeed most do alter personality and experience, a bit like an improving continuation of Dishonored 2).

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gears 5 is a game that was shown at E3, the latest installment in a series which has a foundation primarily made of hyper-masculinity, and this new installment is written with a female protagonist in mind. It's a big budget AAA game with a female lead, and the series is a pillar of Microsoft's first party game output, second only to Halo as far as importance to the Xbox brand goes. Not some cheap palette swap, and not something that was shoehorned into the series for no reason other than to appease Anita Sarkeesian, but an organically developed character who truly belongs in the storyline. If that's not progress, I don't know what is, and a mountain of remasters of old games with already-established characters and stories shouldn't count against that. Your post is worded in a way to suggest that such a thing never happens.

Yeah, just showing pure numbers isn't telling the whole story. Significant changes are being made at the pointy end of gaming, which is really important.

I'm still somewhat astounded (in a good way) at the shift of Gears from 1 to 5. From Uber macho:

220px-Gears_of_war_cover_art.jpg

To a female lead and a significant second female presence on the box art.

download-2-23.jpg

Although tbf this change is almost as significant between 4 and 5, even.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
I would like to see more of a breakdown how this is even counted. How do you count games with multiple characters and multiplayer games these outnumber single player games. Everyone is headed towards giving players choices and being generic as possible without seeming that way to maximize profit.

TheMango55

Banned
Nov 1, 2017
Uhh, this is a strange one. It's definitely not about representing the player. Concerns about representation, which is a multidisciplinary concern hardly exclusive to videogames, nor even especially different when they're the topic, are about the means that media uses to present any demographic. It's about ensuring that a multitude of games invest in good practices so that they (1st) serve the interests of misrepresented demographics (2nd) build a collective awareness of a demographic that is collectively positive, (3rd) fight against negative archetypes , and a hundred other things. This is not especially about players. Developers shouldn't be concerned about representation of women just because women play games. They should be better about representation because good representation is an ethical good that, though benefiting everyone, benefits especially those who need it the most. It's not just transgender players who benefit from transgender representation. They benefit from it most directly, and benefit the most, but in fact the benefits of it start once positive representation nets positive social change and that is a multi demographic effort. It's not even just the people who play games that benefit/suffer from good/poor representation in videogames. Women who will never even play videogames would benefit from good representation of women through the sheer cultural impact that videogames have on the culture.

Also not a joke and frankly quite easy to see why? Representation shouldn't be a choice that players can choose not to see, it should be integral to the experience of play regardless of whether the player wants it or not.

If we're not talking about representing the player with the protagonist, then there is no point in limiting this criteria to playable characters, because the kind of representation you're discussing can be presented through NPCs. This renders the whole statistic useless.

Opposable

Oct 25, 2017
Wasn't there a statistic that showed that the vast majority of Assassin's Creed Odyssey players chose Alexios over Kassandra?

Which is a shame as Kassandra is an outstanding protag and
Alexios is an oustanding villain

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
If we're not talking about representing the player with the protagonist, then there is no point in limiting this criteria to playable characters, because the kind of representation you're discussing can be presented through NPCs. This renders the whole statistic useless.

I'm not sure how you're getting this, i don't see how the player not being able to choose what they play as reduces the importance of the player's avatar. In fact a big part of representation is giving the main spot to underrepresented people so that those most well served by representation (i.e. white heterosexual young adult male) must contend with abandoning their privileged space. In a generalized sense, yes, there are many points of contact with representation beyond embodying someone as a main player (and some games don't have main characters at all), but games where the player embodies a character are still by and large the vast majority of videogames and that's still probably the most valuable means of representation.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
Its good to see that there are so many more games where you can play a female protagonist. Disappointing that Sarkeesian continues to use misleading statistics for her worthy cause.

Its fine to compare the number of exclusively male protagonists to the number of exclusively female ones, but Sarkeesian effectively makes games with a choice of protagonist a negative, which is nonsense.

Deleted member 4413

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Still not where it needs to be, but I disagree that no progress is being made. While female only games haven't increased, choices increased by a good amount which is taking place of male only games.

Consider that this year, only 21% of games shown had exclusively male leads. Compare that to 32% in 2015 or the whopping 41% in 2016. I'd consider that progress even though there is still more work to be done.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
Its fine to compare the number of exclusively male protagonists to the number of exclusively female ones, but Sarkeesian effectively makes games with a choice of protagonist a negative, which is nonsense.
Its a meaningless datapoint
Multiple Choice protagonists are typically written as gender neutral or with the male choice in mind. As someone else said, Pallet Swaps aren't representation

Oct 27, 2017
Wasn't there a statistic that showed that the vast majority of Assassin's Creed Odyssey players chose Alexios over Kassandra?

Actually that was not bad. Anyhow you force any genders is not good in new gen. Like odyssey choice must be provided for the player ! If I want to play male or female, is my personal choice. So far Ubisoft did their best with odyssey ! Two strong protags ! People had choice and no one can complain why female or male is used more than the other one.

Last edited:

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
Its a meaningless datapoint
Multiple Choice protagonists are typically written as gender neutral or with the male choice in mind. As someone else said, Pallet Swaps aren't representation

I don't agree, that's a position that denies millions of people, men and women, their positive experiences with those characters, but if you think its a meaningless datapoint then that's fine. Treat it as a meaningless datapoint. Exclude it, contrast the number of exclusively male protagonists with the number of exclusively female protagonist. Point out that only 1 in 4 protagonists with a set gender are female.

Don't use bullshit statistics to effectively say that Mass Effect and Dishonoured 2 are games that reduce female representation. Don't act like if you got rid of games with player choice, so only 1 in 4 games had the possibility of playing female protagonists, that would be an advance in representation.

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
I don't agree, that's a position that denies millions of people, men and women, their positive experiences with those characters, but if you think its a meaningless datapoint then that's fine. Treat it as a meaningless datapoint. Exclude it, contrast the number of exclusively male protagonists with the number of exclusively female protagonist. Point out that only 1 in 4 protagonists with a set gender are female.

Don't use bullshit statistics to effectively say that Mass Effect and Dishonoured 2 are games that reduce female representation. Don't act like if you got rid of games with player choice, so only 1 in 4 games had the possibility of playing female protagonists, that would be an advance in representation.
Ok but you're still wrong and its still meaningless in regards to representation. Majority of games are still written through the male perspective, even those multiple choice games

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Ok but you're still wrong and its still meaningless in regards to representation. Majority of games are still written through the male perspective, even those multiple choice games
I find the idea that offering a choice makes it fully meaningless in terms of representation quite weird. I mean, such a game can still feature an empowering, well-done female character and give people not from that demographic a chance to play as a character from a marginalized demographic, no?

Does representation only gain any significance because it can force people not from that demographic into playing as a character from that demographic?

(That's not to say exclusively female leads aren't different and possibly stronger representation, I understand that part. What I don't get is the notion that offering another choice means it now holds no meaning whatsoever.)

AmbientRuin

Apr 18, 2019
I find the idea that offering a choice makes it fully meaningless in terms of representation quite weird. I mean, such a game can still feature an empowering, well-done female character and give people not from that demographic a chance to play as a character from a marginalized demographic, no?
How much of that 66% do you believe this will actually be

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
How much of that 66% do you believe this will actually be
Not much, but better than you might expect, as apparently that figure includes games where you control a party.

Then again, if you're saying it's not meaningless inherently, but ends up so in the context of the games industry at large and its contemporary output, I see that point better and I have nothing to add to or say about that.

Wulfram

Mar 3, 2018
Not as good isn't the same as worthless. Even the laziest implementation is still offering people the opportunity to play a story with a woman in the leading role, often in the type of story that wouldn't normally put a woman in that role.

Almeister

Oct 25, 2017
Except alot of story based games are male leads. Where you don't get a choice. The default is that you need a guy. I would love games to represent more women. And what we are getting is not good enough. Palletswaps are not good enough.

Yeah that's fair enough, put like that I get it and agree. I am playing Horizon: Zero Dawn currently and that just would not be the same with a pallet swapped male model, it is written as a female perspective and is refreshing because of it.

Hero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That's an interesting way to choose to interpret the data. You could say the same exact thing for male protagonists that this year is the lowest it has been in 5 years, with the highest being 41% in 2016 to being the lowest in 2019 with 21%. I don't think it's a coincidence that the multiple options category has gone from 46% to 66%.

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017

Yeah, but that is hardly a company's fault.
I didn't say it was? But they can't really make the new AC game a female only protagonist using that data I guess. Though maybe the male dominance was swayed by the Spartan family history influence
Perhaps you should consider if the way the game was marketed affected that. I actually looked this up yesterday out of curiosity due to this thread.

About two-thirds of the players chose to play as Alexios in Odyssey. Though this came as a total surprise as the results during the playtests were close to 50/50 between Alexios and Kassandra.

Maybe it is purely coincidental and there's a difference between the demographic of playtesters and the demographic of the entire audience that caused the disparity but Alexios being the one used in all marketing material and the box art could definitely have influenced players. It would be interesting if we could somehow find out how this might have differed if Kassandra was the prominent character in marketing.

One of the main issues with the male as default is that people see them on the cover and in the ads and assume that's the main character and this reinforces the perception of some that the female option is just kinda there if you want.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah I'd be tempted to agree. I haven't examined the data as extensively but just from a casual observation the outlook is fairly grim unfortunately. There's a fair chance at this point that- bar Kazooie- all the DLC characters in Smash will be male with 3/5 confirmed and 2/2 (again technically) revealed at E3 being male. Heck, even EA who do usually get it really disappointed with the protagonist of Fallen Order. Like we seem to make great strides with Battlefield V for example but then... yeah.