• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 8861

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Link here:

So, Anita Sarkeesian and Carolyn Petit conduct a statistical analysis of representation at E3 every year, in which they calculate how many of showcased protagonists are (exclusively) female characters, as well as a few other metrics (like the percentage of female presenters).

Of the 126 games we tallied from the E3 events held by Microsoft, Nintendo, Bethesda, Ubisoft, Square Enix, and EA, as well as the annual PC Gaming Show, a paltry six centered exclusively female protagonists, while almost five times as many, 28, centered male characters. (When you consider that we place role-playing games in which you control a party of heroes in our "multiple options" category, the numbers are even more dire, since a significant number of these games, including the Final Fantasy VII remake, Final Fantasy VIII, Dragon Quest XI, The Last Remnant Remastered, and others, clearly center male heroes.)

Posting the other metrics would be essentially copying the article, so I encourage you to go take a look at them yourself.

And needless to say, if you want to talk about how representation of women in gaming doesn't matter to you at all, you should probably leave this thread now and save yourself the trouble.

Edit:

Screenshot courtest of Sankara , it's not really improving on the "exclusively female protagonists" front:

88b95b10e6.png

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2017
It feels kinda weird to include remasters in this, like what they're supposed to replace Cloud? Come on now

It is a damn shame though, even with how hard they flipped the Cyberpunk advertising to go all man now that release date is creeping and while that's optional for the player that's an active choice they went with

A whole lot of potential perspectives on things to be explored still but they just don't want to, it's kinda sad

Kanann

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Agree, DQ DLC on smash without any Female hero make me wanna smack Sakurai butt with my foot.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
While exclusively female led games are still pretty low, I would say that the option of having multiple male and female playable characters and/or the ability to choose between male and female main characters is getting better.

There is improvement happening, though it might not be enough and/or fast enough.

ItsBobbyDarin

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Egyptian residing in Denmark
It feels kinda weird to include remasters in this, like what they're supposed to replace Cloud? Come on now

It is a damn shame though, even with how hard they flipped the Cyberpunk advertising to go all man now that release date is creeping and while that's optional for the player that's an active choice they went with

A whole lot of potential perspectives on things to be explored still but they just don't want to, it's kinda sad
The first shown gameplay of Cyberpunk was the protagonist playing as a female character.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
That's kind of the first thing I thought when I saw the examples list. So many games are remasters at this point, or spiritual reboots or straight up sequels like halo and Doom. We're basically looking at a landscape of IPs and games that have existed for about 2 decades.

LuisGarcia

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Of course it is getting better. You would have to be ignorant to think otherwise.

A lot of games are giving you the choice now.

Porky

Circumventing ban with an alt account
Banned
Mar 16, 2019
The anchor points they're using here are kinda weird, especially when including remasters. So they didn't change FFVII or Ni No Kuni to have female protagonists?

Also, have they done this every year? What if it goes up and then back down again? Surely, that's natural. Or are they expecting representation to continually rise until female representation reaches 100%?

I feel like "multiple options" going from 46% to 66% is good news...

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
'Multiple options' went from 46% to 66%. Progress?

Yeah this feels to me like an important metric to note. The aim should be more choice represented, right? Rather than exclusively one gender or the other.
I think it's good! However, fully defined protagonists offer a different experience where an exclusively female protagonist might be able to explore a female perspective or simply give female protagonists a better foothold in mainstream gaming culture (because as it stands the vast majority of extremely popular titles have a male protagonist and there are few prominent female protagonists to talk about, especially those with developed stories and personalities).

I personally somewhat disagree with the way that was expressed in the article though, which is something along the lines of "multiple protagonists will let men who are more comfortable with a male character play as a guy which lessens that game's value as representation". Like, obviously relating a touch more to people of the same gender is not an isolated phenomenon by any stretch, that's part of why more/better female representation would be a wonderful thing, no need to deride male players for preferring male characters IMO. I say this as a guy who usually prefers the design of female characters, finds them more novel, and so plays as them, but I might just be tone policing so whatever.

I also don't think that female representation shouldn't only be measured by exclusively female protagonists, but it's not my place to criticize Sarkeesian et al. for how they frame their research. (And I think it clearly would've occurred to them too, so I trust there's a reason the analysis has been framed this way.)

Which was way cooler than the male version they went with recently. I don't know if it was just to show the option but I thought it was fine to go with the female version.
I don't have a horse in that race but god that male character on the horrible box art looks mediocre at best

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
I mean going by that chart games were you can solely play as a male have dropped significantly too (from high of 41% to 21%). I think it's a bit weird to ignore the fact that more and more games simply let you choose your gender. In 2015 you could choose to play as a female in 55% of games shown at E3. This year 71%. Female represantion has definitely gotten better going by that.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The anchor points they're using here are kinda weird, especially when including remasters. So they didn't change FFVII or Ni No Kuni to have female protagonists?

Also, have they done this every year? What if it goes up and then back down again? Surely, that's natural. Or are they expecting representation to continually rise until female representation reaches 100%?
1. Dunno about NNK but they said FF7R was counter as "multiple protagonists" even though there's a clearly central character (Cloud).

2. Check the article. It's been a thing for... 5 years now I think? They aren't expecting female representation to reach 100% but for example exclusively male protagonists still appear to be about 4 times as common.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
This year, of the 126 games we surveyed, 107 featured combat of some form as a gameplay mechanic, while only 19 games, or about 15 percent, did not. Of course, not all combat is the same: the endearing sword-swinging of Link in Nintendo's adorable upcoming remake of The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening is a far cry from the grisly demon-slaying of Doom: Eternal. However, we believe that there remains a vast range of unexplored potential for games as a medium, and continue to advocate for a greater percentage of games that explore the possibilities of nonviolent gameplay mechanics.

I get what she means, but there are many games that do non-combat.

Just they are more indie I guess.

Razor Mom

Jan 2, 2018
United Kingdom
I think it's good! However, fully defined protagonists offer a different experience where an exclusively female protagonist might be able to explore a female perspective or simply give female protagonists a better foothold in mainstream gaming culture (because as it stands the vast majority of extremely popular titles have a male protagonist and there are few prominent female protagonists to talk about, especially those with developed stories and personalities).

I personally somewhat disagree with the way that was expressed in the article though, which is something along the lines of "multiple protagonists will let men who are more comfortable with a male character play as a guy which lessens that game's value as representation". Like, obviously relating a touch more to people of the same gender is not an isolated phenomenon by any stretch, that's part of why more/better female representation would be a wonderful thing, no need to deride male players for preferring male characters IMO. I say this as a guy who usually prefers the design of female characters, finds them more novel, and so plays as them, but I might just be tone policing so whatever.

I also don't think that female representation shouldn't only be measured by exclusively female protagonists, but it's not my place to criticize Sarkeesian et al. for how they frame their research. (And I think it clearly would've occurred to them too, so I trust there's a reason the analysis has been framed this way.)

I don't have a horse in that race but god that male character on the horrible box art looks mediocre at best
I mean if you wanted to play as a female character in a game, this year you could across over 3/4 of all games right? And that's including remasters of old games like the last remnant. It seems like a pretty solid step in the right direction, but the article is kind of framing it as a backwards one and I don't get why. I understand the want for stories told from exclusively female perspectives, but if it's about playing as characters that you feel represent you (through race, gender etc) then this seems like pretty great news. Also I think you're allowed to criticise anything you want, if you want to.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
Diversity as a numbers game just strikes me as clinical and cold to the touch. It's like, what does it matter that there are so many more games starring men if half of those characters aren't even compelling, if they're much more than a silent self-insert to begin with? It's not just stats - it's not just representation. You've got to give people compelling characters with depth to them as well as diversify.

It's just unfortunate that Sarkeesian's analysis continues to be this way. We never get deeper readings of the games, in proper context (like how they just throw in remasters here. I mean, huh?), the games just get filed away based on tropes or stats. It's a very old schtick at this point.

mrprime

Oct 27, 2017
UK
Is the tracking of combat vs non-combat new? seems like an odd metric considering as they themselves point out 'combat' can include both Zelda and Doom. Feels like a bit of an odd thing to be looking for at E3, the games industry is much bigger than E3 and there's heaps of non-combat titles, given what E3 has become trying to make the representation of non-combat games there seem indicative of the industry as a whole seems misguided.

That said, warmed to see the reaction to new Flight Sim.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman

That's kind of the first thing I thought when I saw the examples list. So many games are remasters at this point, or spiritual reboots or straight up sequels like halo and Doom.

I'm sorry but what does remaster mean in this context? Re-release of an old game with touched up visuals?

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One more wrinkle to the whole including remasters (which this E3 had a disproportionate shit ton of), is that if the makers of these remasters let you play as a, say, female Cloud for example, it'd just be another one of the Ms. Male Characters that Anita made a video decrying. Even then, Aerith, Tifa, and (maybe) Yuffie are all part of your party.

Deleted member 426

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah SE are typically the best for female main characters. But they're currently raiding their 90s back catalogue, and they weren't as good then.

That said the overall point stands. Few female main characters, and it's bad. More options is good, but it's still a real shame video game companies don't have the confidence to lead a game's marketing with a woman.

Jun 12, 2019
More multiple options is always good. But games written with a female protagonist in mind would be nice to see.

The slow change probably reflects the fact that the games industry makes heavy use of sequels and remakes, where they're going to likely have the same (most likely male) protagonist. Old IPs are the bread and butter of the industry in some respects.

OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I get what she means, but there are many games that do non-combat.

Just they are more indie I guess.
Well, that comes back to why E3 is important- essentially, this is the stuff that'll break into the mainstream for the most part, and so how prominent combat is in *these* games which have the best chance of going mainstream is important for defining industry trends.

I mean if you wanted to play as a female character in a game, this year you could across over 3/4 of all games right? And that's including remasters of old games like the last remnant. It seems like a pretty solid step in the right direction, but the article is kind of framing it as a backwards one and I don't get why. I understand the want for stories told from exclusively female perspectives, but if it's about playing as characters that you feel represent you (through race, gender etc) then this seems like pretty great news. Also I think you're allowed to criticise anything you want, if you want to.
Stories absolutely play a great part, which I suppose is why exclusively female protagonists are regarded as so important.
(Also, I'm saying my criticism doesn't matter as much for the simple reason that women's voices carry greater weight in this discussion and I'm also not literally one of the most prominent analysts in feminist game criticism.)

Is the tracking of combat vs non-combat new? seems like an odd metric considering as they themselves point out 'combat' can include both Zelda and Doom. Feels like a bit of an odd thing to be looking for at E3, the games industry is much bigger than E3 and there's heaps of non-combat titles, given what E3 has become trying to make the representation of non-combat games there seem indicative of the industry as a whole seems misguided.

That said, warmed to see the reaction to new Flight Sim.
Zelda vs. Doom being included in the same category is (verbatim) acknowledged in the article I think, the idea is that games could be utilizing non-combat mechanics to tell stories and create experiences, and so explicitly non-violent games diverge from the norm.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Yeah exactly, or just a port to newer systems with old dlc included or whatever.
Ah then in that case, those should be excluded, I agree.

Off topic, but one thing I'd have liked the FF7 Remake to have done is make you play through the game with a different character's POV like Tifa or Barret. Or heck just giving them their own scenario where you can see things from their POV instead of following Cloud's.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
The only way this will change in any meaningful way is by getting more women in lead development roles. I was pleased to see a woman - Rahni Tucker - leading the charge as Creative Director of Ninja Theory's Bleeding Edge for example, indeed the whole game was her idea.

We really need to see more of this across the whole industry. I realise it is partly a chicken and egg situation and there is work to do to encourage more women to enter the industry in the first place. Certainly the stigma of a male dominated and sexist industry isn't going to help make that any easier.

Of course publishers also have a responsibility with being less obsessed with only greenlighting games with generic straight white male protagonists. I realise they are reluctant to take "risks" these days but I don't see how it's a risk when movies and TV shows with female and/or black protagonists are successful every week. The games industry needs to catch the fuck up.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 8861

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The only way this will change in any meaningful way is by getting more women in lead development roles. I was pleased to see a woman - Rahni Tucker - leading the charge as Creative Director of Ninja Theory's Bleeding Edge for example, indeed the whole game was her idea.

We really need to see more of this across the whole industry. I realise it is partly a chicken and egg situation and there is work to do to encourage more women to enter the industry in the first place. Certainly the stigma of a male dominated and sexist industry isn't going to help make that any easier.
Agreed. The industry already owes a lot, and will owe a lot more still, to women in gaming who believe in the medium and stick with it despite being mistreated every step of the way.

Resiverence

Jan 30, 2019
So female representation isn't getting better but the actual facts support they are. That's some pretty uhh sour framing there. Oh well. Also including remasters seems extremely odd to me.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
More multiple options is always good. But games written with a female protagonist in mind would be nice to see.

The slow change probably reflects the fact that the games industry makes heavy use of sequels and remakes, where they're going to likely have the same (most likely male) protagonist. Old IPs are the bread and butter of the industry in some respects.
Gears 5 is a game that was shown at E3, the latest installment in a series which has a foundation primarily made of hyper-masculinity, and this new installment is written with a female protagonist in mind. It's a big budget AAA game with a female lead, and the series is a pillar of Microsoft's first party game output, second only to Halo as far as importance to the Xbox brand goes. Not some cheap palette swap, and not something that was shoehorned into the series for no reason other than to appease Anita Sarkeesian, but an organically developed character who truly belongs in the storyline. If that's not progress, I don't know what is, and a mountain of remasters of old games with already-established characters and stories shouldn't count against that. Your post is worded in a way to suggest that such a thing never happens.

Last edited:

Brotherhood93

Oct 28, 2017
Their own analysis shows that more games featured playable female characters than any other E3, even if this is because the trend is towards multiple options rather than exclusively female protagonists it is still progress. Slow progress and it'd be fair to say it's still not good enough but I'm not sure you can reach the conclusion it isn't getting any better.

Only using games at E3 to judge the entire industry is also slightly flawed. In terms of games with exclusively female protagonists, Control and The Last of Us Part II will be out by the time next E3 comes around, if Sony had a showcase this year both would very likely have been there this year. A Plague Tale just came out last month. It's not a comprehensive data set.

Blindy

Nov 16, 2017
Seems like they aren't counting Co main protagonists which is odd. Games like Avengers, Black Widow matters as much as the other characters there isn't one true hero above all. The male to female ratio is slanted absolutely but Black Widow seems like a primary feature of the game especially when you gave Laura Bailey voicing a said character.

Games like Deathloop have a Co main protagonist in a black female that is as important going off of the CGI trailer as the male counterpart.

Watchdogs has no main protagonists, the female granny was as important as the other hackers on her team and if anything the white male was the guy who died in the trailer....

Last edited:

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I think the issue isn't that there is no progress, but rather that there isn't enough progress.

Fair point, as progress as an idea implies that you still haven't reached your goal, but if the idea is "we're moving forward too slowly" then "We're not moving forward at all" is a peculiar way to express it.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean, fair, but that's not at all what the title of the article says. It's literally saying it's not getting better. It's kind of framed that way for the whole text.
I know, and I am not impressed with them for doing this because they could have still brought up the issue without resorting to such hyperbole.

Rodjer

Self-requested ban.
Jan 28, 2018
I think the issue isn't that there is no progress, but rather that there isn't enough progress.

Not enough progress? We had more female leads in big brands and AAA games in then gen compared to the last one.
That's a lot of progress especially when you see Microsoft, Sony, Bethesda, Ubisoft and EA greenlighting AAA games with female leads.

Deleted member 23212

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Not enough progress? We had more female leads in big brands and AAA games in then gen compared to the last one.
That's a lot of progress especially when you see Microsoft, Sony, Bethesda, Ubisoft and EA greenlighting AAA games with female leads.
Of course we have more, I just said there was progress. My argument is that it isn't enough.

BocoDragon

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I always think it's weird to be in this place nowadays when the late 90s had a glut of videogames starring female heroes in response to Tomb Raider. Sure they were in service of male fantasies and were certainly sexualized, but that archetype was that they were all badass. Not too different from a Black Widow type character.

I'd also like to strike FF games from this list because they have had strong female main characters for 25 years, and this decade finished off a trilogy of female starring games. (I'm half joking because I know how adding up all the games at E3 works)

I blame the rise of militarism games in the 2000s. So much war and soldiers... and that leans male.

Sankara

Alt Account
Banned
May 19, 2019
Paris
6 female characters versus 28 is still fucking atrocious. And it's been so many years that people have been talking loudly about the issue that there is simply no excuse any longer from developers or publishers.

You should probably read the title of the article and this entire thread again.

Last edited: