• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

FeistyBoots

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5b44eeeae4b0c523e2637878

Real feminists, lesbians, queers and bisexual woman should ask what sort of woman or feminist would align themselves with these right-wing organizations. They are all anti-choice. They all want to ban access to birth control. They universally want to overturn Lawrence v. Texas and allow states to make homosexuality illegal again. They want to overturn Obergefell v. Hodges, and Roe v. Wade. They want to ban same-sex adoption. They all are hostile to fair-pay-for-women laws. They oppose women working outside the home. They are all hostile to the Women's March and Me Too. They are fake medical organizations and anti-LGBTQ and anti-choice hate groups. They have cheered the assassinations of abortion providers. They are publications that have published horrible things about women, such as "Does Feminism Make Women Ugly?"

This isn't a choice between transgender people and women. This is a choice between trans people and right-wing organizations pretending to represent women. And you are deluding yourself if you think these right-wing organizations will not be coming for queers and cisgender women next. They have said that's exactly what they plan on doing.

The religious right has been explicit in laying out its plans to divide and conquer the LGBTQ community.

They have been explicit that they are co-opting feminism and using TERFs and anti-transgender "feminist" organizations as a fifth column to attack trans people.

This so much. Really tired of fake feminists and people who are still napping on social justice issues mumbling in their sleep about how "woke" they are.

Ivan2Nguyen

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Week): Ignoring the exclusionary ideology of TERF.
This sounds a lot like the 'No True Scotsman' argument.

When you start arguing about ideological purity you lose support from a wide group of people. It's akin to saying you aren't anti-animal cruelty when you aren't vegan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
They are scum. Yes they are and don't @ me.

Last edited:

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
This sounds a lot like the 'No True Scotsman' argument.

When you start arguing about ideological purity you lose support from a wide group of people. It's akin to saying you aren't anti-animal cruelty when you aren't vegan.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No_true_Scotsman
So fucking what if they lose support from people like that?

People need to realize it is better to have no allies than it is to have allies that don't really care about you. I mean the whole concept of white feminism is another example, where it only extends to white women issues, while everyone else is expected to play along to visit for rights that will inevitably only apply to white women causes.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty much the only time I hear the word feminism anymore is in relation to men using the term to describe themselves or for TERFs.

Khanimus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Greater Vancouver

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017

sapien85

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
In a perfect world all marginalized groups would work together to improve their stations together but in reality they get divided by those who benefit to weaken them all.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I gotta say, it's a really good feeling to be on a forum where your reports are handled swiftly and effectively before a thread's derailed. Love it.

Anyway, the article's point is absolutely correct! That's why we call 'em TERFs and not plain 'ol "feminists".

Hollywood Duo

Oct 25, 2017
It's incredibly disingenuous. If you are a feminist you should be striving for equality. Equality of the sexes, it doesn't matter who you are everyone is equal. To say a trans person is not equal just invalidates your whole ethos.

Suzushiiro

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
The refreshing thing about TERFs is that unless you're one of them no matter where you are on the ideological spectrum you fucking hate them- maybe you hate them because they're transphobes, maybe you hate them because they're radical feminists, maybe you hate them because they're both, but in the end what really matters is... fuck TERFs.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Fuck TERFS.

At one point it was socially acceptable for so-called "feminists" to exclude queer women and women of color. This should not be acceptable, and others have said we have a duty to accept, protect and empower our trans sisters.

Kaako

Oct 25, 2017
I just learned about "TERFs" via this thread and I want to say fuck them and whatever they stand for. How the fuck are you gonna preach about feminism and then exclude?

Oct 29, 2017
A friend of mine on FB was going ham on this year's Women's March precisely due to the high volume of TERFs. It was the first time I was exposed to the notion and I have to say, fuck them. Some true "fuck you got mine" shit. Or rather, "fuck you give me mine".

DJGolfClap

Avenger
Apr 28, 2018
Vancouver
I came out fairly recently as a trans woman, and I'm near the beginning of my transition, and this has been on my mind a lot lately. Fuck TERFs. All I want is to be the person I'm supposed to be.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
I didnt know about TERFs until I read a twitter thread about a transphobic story. They were absolutely militant with their transphobia it was nauseating

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Also the shut they pulled on the London LGBT parade is absolutely disgusting.

You don't support LGBT hating on any of those letters

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
pt8bjwF_l6F4RMEolTu6gVsSxmgTDN2ZhsSeWj39Z1c.jpg

TERFs in a nutshell

Deleted member 32561

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I agree they don't actually adhere to feminist principles. But, I mean, what do we call them then?

The F in TERF is obviously a misnomer. Transphobe, to them and their supporters, isn't a dirty word, and might only embolden them.
Asshat, fool, dumbass, and so on, are far too general.

Maybe just TERs? Trans exclusionary radicals? I'd say TWER, but, trans men and nb individuals are effected by their shit as well.

strongly agreed, it's been something watching TERFs pretend the word's a slur while self-identifying with it as well
9d2.jpg

Lwyn

Banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Jul 2, 2018
So can we acknowledge that even oppressed groups can be nasty to other oppressed groups?

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They are feminists. They're just misguided in one specific area. I think throwing them out of the category is a mistake rather than continuously pressing back at them in this one area.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I missed this, what did they do?

There were a group of TERFs at the front of the pride parade that had a banner that said "Transactivism is erasing lesbians"

They are feminists. They're just misguided in one specific area. I think throwing them out of the category is a mistake rather than continuously pressing back at them in this one area.

You can't be a feminist and not be advocating for all women's rights. You can't be a feminist and deny that some women are women. They're incredibly hateful, trying to deny rights to women, and they're so much worse than just misguided.

TissueBox

Oct 25, 2017
Urinated States of America
So can we acknowledge that even oppressed groups can be nasty to other oppressed groups?

Yes, but keep in mind the point of the article is to propose how this case is also one of disingenuous sabotage dealt by right-wing conservatives; that this is in fact not a matter of social rights but also agenda-driven partisanship, which may very well be the case for some behind-the-scenes workings.

Big One

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I hate this shit big time especially since I know a lot of these people in real life.

The racism is just as bad as well. There's a girl I know that identifies as a feminist yet she supports Trump and is pretty anti-immigrant in general.

Chekhonte

User banned for use of an alt-account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There were a group of TERFs at the front of the pride parade that had a banner that said "Transactivism is erasing lesbians"

You can't be a feminist and not be advocating for all women's rights. You can't be a feminist and deny that some women are women. They're incredibly hateful, trying to deny rights to women, and they're so much worse than just misguided.
I don't think all or nothing attitudes fix anything and I think a majority of these people can be made to come around to the reality of the situation. In my opinion when you throw people out, you lock people into their form of thinking. I'm more interested in changing minds rather than drawing lines.

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I don't think all or nothing attitudes fix anything and I think a majority of these people can be made to come around to the reality of the situation.
These are just words, they mean nothing. TERFs are not feminists no matter if you hope someday they might change their minds. They can be feminists then.

It's like saying "I'm for equal rights of all people regardless of race. Well except Blacks."

Well then guess fucking what? You're not for equal rights of all people regardless of race.