• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
You're way off, champ. Unless you have me confused with someone else. It's ok, stupid shit happens.

Still, I'll clarify.

I said libs need to get better organized and embrace effective militancy like the black panther, Malcolm X and brown beret groups did. That's not bending over to the GOP when history shows that they fear this approach.
My mistake then, I admittedly am a bit heated reading some of the comments in here. I mistook your comment as being one of those "we need to treat them with respect" types of comments. I definitely agree with your clarified point. My apologies!

Oct 25, 2017
They're a loud minority, in my experience. In my time as a queer woman subreddit mod, I often had to wonder how many of these TERFs were actual women, and how many were just trolls or bots. They definitely used all the tactics of the alt-right, including brigading subs, trying to doxx users, and bullying trans women out of queer women spaces.

There are also an uncomfortably large amount of older white feminists that have transphobic views. This is likely due to the 'gender crit' style of radical feminism popularized in the 1970's. Gendercrit being that they try to set up this false dichotomy between freedom of gender expression/gender norms and gender identity. I.e. "Trans women can be fine just being a feminine gay cis man." This completely ignores the reality of queer trans women, non binary identities and trans men,, amongst other issues.
Thanks. It's hard to grok some of this stuff sometimes, but it's at least nice that they're a minority, hopefully a shrinking one at that. Most of the feminists I read/follow aren't TERFs so I worried I was in a bubble and it was a much larger group.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
They're a loud minority, in my experience.

That surprises me. My (anedoctal) experience is that the number of women who have problems with accepting trans-women as sharing their same issues and struggles, if not downright accepting them as women, is significant. In fact the most egregious examples of transphobia I've met where displayed by women.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
Thanks. It's hard to grok some of this stuff sometimes, but it's at least nice that they're a minority, hopefully a shrinking one at that. Most of the feminists I read/follow aren't TERFs so I worried I was in a bubble and it was a much larger group.
I can't say if they're shrinking, they're definitely getting more attention due to them being 'useful idiots' to the alt-right. A lot of them practice the same concern trolling about trans women in women's bathrooms and locker rooms or whatever.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space
That surprises me. My (anedoctal) experience is that the number of women who have problems with accepting trans-women as sharing their same issues and struggles, if not downright accepting them as women, is significant. In fact the most egregious examples of transphobia I've met where displayed by women.
The women around you suck. I have had almost the opposite experience in my groups.

Wolven Hammer

Feb 26, 2018
Los Angeles, California
I knew someone feminist who told me she hated trans women because they're "contradicting" what she's fighting for.

I didn't give it much thought then but now I realize that the feminists who are against female normality clash with trans women who embrace it.

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2018
This disgusts me. You need to earn stripes to be a woman. If you're a woman, you're a woman. Even if you've been a woman your whole life, 20 years, 5 years, 2 months...

OrangeNova

Oct 30, 2017
Canada
What does the "P" stand for?
Penis.

And I get it, I get why they'd go with PERF, or even maybe radical feminists, who would identify their sexual preferences as "not a penis" and that's totally fine, it's non-binary identity methods.

But I don't think I've seen a single person who ever called themselves a PERF take a reasonable stance, they're all TERFs trying to hide under a "nicer" name.

Oct 28, 2017
There was a pretty insightful thread on TERFs (and SWERFs) on Sinfest's forums not long ago (because readers got weary when the comic started going too far), might fall under cross-forum drama if I posted it here however.

Lately the author showed his ass by creating an entire separate forum, fittingly in piss yellow, as an echo chamber for rad-SWERF/TERFs ("people who like the message of my comic"), and gaslighting a poster who was misgendered and pretty viciously assaulted by another transphobic poster.
And the irony of his condescending way of mansplaining feminism is totally lost on him.

Mona

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There were a group of TERFs at the front of the pride parade that had a banner that said "Transactivism is erasing lesbians"

What do they mean by this? What was their argument?

That homosexual girls, instead of just liking women, are told that they're really men and need to transition?

collige

Oct 31, 2017
Penis.

And I get it, I get why they'd go with PERF, or even maybe radical feminists, who would identify their sexual preferences as "not a penis" and that's totally fine, it's non-binary identity methods.

But I don't think I've seen a single person who ever called themselves a PERF take a reasonable stance, they're all TERFs trying to hide under a "nicer" name.
If anything, I would think that PERF makes even less sense since these are the types of people who wouldn't really change their stance on trans women regardless of whether or not they've had GRS.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
How pervasive is this line of thinking? I have only heard of it occasionally and thought it was really minor. I hope it isnt spreading.

How popular/prevalent is the TERF problem within feminism? Is it a very vocal minority or is it an unfortunate majority?

They are pretty small, but some groups are getting kinda strong in the UK for some reason ... where even The Guardian run some pretty transphobic shit

I knew someone feminist who told me she hated trans women because they're "contradicting" what she's fighting for.

I didn't give it much thought then but now I realize that the feminists who are against female normalities clash with trans women who dress up feminine.

The problem is that most burocracy that you need to pass to change your documents are rooted in pretty 50s level sexism. Like if a judge don't think you are womanly enought he might not allow you to change your birth certificate. I heard stories of a woman who was denied because she went wearing jeans pants. PANTS !!!!

And of course media only focus on the stories of gender conforming trans people because of course.

So they only focus on those and go OMFG TRANS WOMEN REINFORCES THE GENDER NORMS while ignoring EVERY CIS WOMEN WHO ALSO IGNORES. See backlash of that trans woman that went to the miss universe competition. She is the ONLY one reinforcing the gender norms. ONLY. The other 30 cis women competing? nope. Only her.

edit:

Penis.

It is not penis. They are against the identity of trans people. They """"""accept""""" trans men in their groups, even if they had phaloplasty. They sell huge dildos in their meetings. They have nothing against the phalic figure. They have it against the identity of trans people.

That homosexual girls, instead of just liking women, are told that they're really men and need to transition?

That a lesbian dating a trans woman is not a lesbian. Their actual reasoning is ...worst

But let them speak for themselves:

Last edited:

rjinaz

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Damn people are pathetic. Get banned, then create another account to come back just to get banned again for transphobia, probably again.

They just can't help themselves when they see topics like these.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

They're a minority among feminist women, not all women. A lot of women are conservatives, especially if they're white.

Deleted member 3058

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Saying 'transgender people have the right to exist' isn't preaching ideolgical purity

No it's not. Their stance is literally an argument of "All these women are women except that group of women over there."

Fuck TERFs, full stop.

Trans womens' rights ain't up for debate, nor can demands for empathy be brushed off as just "ideological purity", so fuck that noise.

EDIT: Nvm, banned.

Uhh...I have to think someone who believes I have no right to exsist is probably not someone I can consider on the right side of things.
Agreed with everyone above.

TERFs aren't potential allies. They're bigots.

Black_Red

Oct 27, 2017
The existente of those "extremistas feminista" is why I distances myself from the movement
"Men can't be feminists"
"Men shouldn't go to feminismo marcha"
"Trans people are sexista because they identify being female with girly things"
And other stupid shit that only divides the movement.

And those are usually the ones directing the protests.

HyGogg

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This differs from a "No True Scottsman" because "feminism", unlike a "Scottsman" centers on a specific ideology, which is gender equality, and thus inherently inclusive regardless of who we're talking about.

I do think it's okay to acknowledge that being a transwoman and being a cis woman are not the same thing and that they don't have the same life experiences -- the key is just to reinforce that they are still 100% women, still share a common charge on the core issues to feminism, and are still equal under the eyes of feminism by virtue of all genders being equal under the eyes of feminism. Saying someone is a "different sort of woman" is ok, but saying someone is "not a real woman" is not.

Oct 25, 2017
That a lesbian dating a trans woman is not a lesbian. Their actual reasoning is ...worst

But let them speak for themselves:

Yikes. I guess I shouldn't be surprised because I posted in the Transgender 101 thread about how I've encountered a lot of lesbian and gay people who just don't like transgender people being in the "LGBT" umbrella.

Since you brought up lesbians (and maybe this is a better question for the Transgender 101 thread), do you or does anyone have any data or studies homosexuality in the trans community compared to that of the cis community? I think last time I poked around to try and find stuff, it was mostly communities doing internal surveys and nothing really formal.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Yikes. I guess I shouldn't be surprised because I posted in the Transgender 101 thread about how I've encountered a lot of lesbian and gay people who just don't like transgender people being in the "LGBT" umbrella.

Since you brought up lesbians (and maybe this is a better question for the Transgender 101 thread), do you or does anyone have any data or studies homosexuality in the trans community compared to that of the cis community? I think last time I poked around to try and find stuff, it was mostly communities doing internal surveys and nothing really formal.

Both bisexuality and homosexuality are bigger than average because

1) you are already visible lgbt so fuck it

2) most trans people grew up with the "society pressure" to be gay so it is not like coming out as gay would be exactly harder than coming out as trans.

But it is probably more "bigger than average" in a sense "if LGBT people were more accepted it would be more in the levels of trans people" not that being trans has anything to do with it.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
Still so much transphobia even on resetera? I can't imagine what trans people have to go through in public.

Agreed with OP, feminism must include all women.

Ketkat

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Here you go :

Rqx2ZDf.png

This is just a survey of the US only, and only of people who were only 18 or older in 2016, but its really the best we have right now as far as I know.

LegendofLex

Nov 20, 2017
Just because someone is a feminist doesn't mean it's impossible for them to be transphobic (or racist or sexist for that matter). That's why the "trans-exclusionary radical" modifier exists.

I can see the merits of saying, "well, if you aren't going to be consistent in your feminism, you aren't a real feminist." But I can also see the merits of calling out the contradictions for what they are with modifiers like TERF--"you say you're a feminist, but you're a pretty bad feminist."

Oct 25, 2017
Both bisexuality and homosexuality are bigger than average because

1) you are already visible lgbt so fuck it

2) most trans people grew up with the "society pressure" to be gay so it is not like coming out as gay would be exactly harder than coming out as trans.

But it is probably more "bigger than average" in a sense "if LGBT people were more accepted it would be more in the levels of trans people" not that being trans has anything to do with it.

That makes sense and I kind of assumed as much. But thanks for your insight! (I also hope the question didn't come across as abrasive in a "trans causes homosexuality" type of way).

Here you go :

Rqx2ZDf.png

This is just a survey of the US only, and only of people who were only 18 or older in 2016, but its really the best we have right now as far as I know.

Wow, thank you! I feel like I've searched for something like that for a while and could never find it. Could you link me the whole study? I'd love to read it.

prag16

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've had the same experience. I've seen plenty of men and women refer to trans women as 'not real women' but the ones who seemed to get the most headed/angry about it have generally been women; the idea that what they're doing is co-opting or something along those lines. Seems silly but I'm not a woman, so hard to comment. In terms of lesbians which I've seen some comments on in here, I mean, it's easy to understand homosexual cis females not wanting to deal with penises. I don't really understand the complaint there as long as they're not escalating to outright bigotry.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017
Glad to see TERFs being universally lambasted. There is nothing egalitarian about their 'feminism'.

Deleted member 25606

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
On the transphobia from the gay community there are gay men that do the same as TERF's. I was listening to the Two outs podcast (local Boston sports with Steve Buckley an openly gay sports columnist and Alex Reimer an openly gay sports talk personality) and they had a guy on as a guest who somehow was trying to argue that logic, that trans is a conspiracy against gay men to erase them. Good on buck and Alex for shutting that shit down however one reason especially as someone who has not and may not transition why I don't tell people at all and avoid society is the amount I have been told its not real and I am trying to justify to myself and am really a closeted gay guy. Which beyond being shit is too funny because A. Accepted medical science definitely backs transgender, even when it was considered a disorder and treatment consisted of trying to "cure mental issues" it was still recognized as real. B. Funny enough and one of the things that makes non transitioning bearable ( though even this has issues and a can of worms I am not opening now.) is the fact I still am attracted to women by preference on a sexual level.

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck TERFS.

It is a shame they are called feminists because they aren't. True feminists stand for equality for all no matter wether they have a vagina or penis.

Atrophis

Oct 25, 2017
If anything, I would think that PERF makes even less sense since these are the types of people who wouldn't really change their stance on trans women regardless of whether or not they've had GRS.

It kinda works when you take into account their other beliefs like all PIV (penis in vagina) sex is rape and all women should be lesbians. TERFs actually are the embodiment of the crazy, man hating feminist stereotype that anti-progressives always cry about. This is why I always laughed at GG'ers calling Anita Sarkesian a radical feminist because it's beyond dumb.

Siggy-P

Avenger
Mar 18, 2018
In terms of lesbians which I've seen some comments on in here, I mean, it's easy to understand homosexual cis females not wanting to deal with penises. I don't really understand the complaint there as long as they're not escalating to outright bigotry.

I'd agree with that, though in the case of the ones at London they were accusing trans-women of being rapists and forcing or tricking people to have sex with them. That's not an okay accusation to make and blatantly untrue. And ofcourse everything else they were saying is awful as well.

On the transphobia from the gay community there are gay men that do the same as TERF's. I was listening to the Two outs podcast (local Boston sports with Steve Buckley an openly gay sports columnist and Alex Reimer an openly gay sports talk personality) and they had a guy on as a guest who somehow was trying to argue that logic, that trans is a conspiracy against gay men to erase them. Good on buck and Alex for shutting that shit down however one reason especially as someone who has not and may not transition why I don't tell people at all and avoid society is the amount I have been told its not real and I am trying to justify to myself and am really a closeted gay guy. Which beyond being shit is too funny because A. Accepted medical science definitely backs transgender, even when it was considered a disorder and treatment consisted of trying to "cure mental issues" it was still recognized as real. B. Funny enough and one of the things that makes non transitioning bearable ( though even this has issues and a can of worms I am not opening now.) is the fact I still am attracted to women by preference on a sexual level.

Fucked isn't it. But remember that being LGBT crosses a lot of racial, ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds. Not everyone of them would put as much thought into it as others would. Plenty of openly gay Trump/alt-right supporters if you give a half-assed google search for it.

Boiled Goose

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
I can see some feminist groups focusing on broader female issues than say specific trans female issues.. but exclusion?? Why??

TERFs? Wtf. The fact that such a label exists is mind blowing.

Pandaman

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Am I crazy or does the article not go into any detail about anti-transgender policy positions but instead on how TERFs are funded and supported by the religious right to subvert more traditional feminist values.

Is it cynical to say that this article is shitting on TERFs not because trans-people are people too but rather out of a sense of 'they're coming for you next!'?

I mean, these are the issues laid out in the article
said that rape isn't that bad, describing it as "something that leaves no sign, no injury, nothing." In the same interview, she said the penalty for rape should be reduced to "200 hours of community service." Greer pooh-poohed the Me Too movement, saying, "If you spread your legs because he said 'Be nice to me and I'll give you a job in a movie,' then I'm afraid that's tantamount to consent, and it's too late now to start whingeing about that."

Venice Allan, aka @DrRadFem on Twitter, has railed against abortion and birth control being available to women

That group received a $15,000 grant from the Alliance Defending Freedom ― an anti-LGBTQ, anti-abortion, anti-birth control legal organization that supports the recriminalization of homosexuality in the U.S.

They are all anti-choice. They all want to ban access to birth control. They universally want to overturn Lawrence v. Texas and allow states to make homosexuality illegal again. They want to overturn Obergefell v. Hodges, and Roe v. Wade. They want to ban same-sex adoption. They all are hostile to fair-pay-for-women laws. They oppose women working outside the home. They are all hostile to the Women's March and Me Too. They are fake medical organizations and anti-LGBTQ and anti-choice hate groups. They have cheered the assassinations of abortion providers. They are publications that have published horrible things about women, such as "Does Feminism Make Women Ugly?"
None of them are specifically trans related.

PhazonBlonde

User requested ban
Banned
May 18, 2018
Somewhere deep in space

No because while bigoted that at least has logical consistency. Basically it's alleged lesbians who think that trans woman are part of an elaborate scheme by the patriarchy to get them to have a penis in them. Which makes absolutely no fucking sense, because a cis man is going to have a much easier time finding straight women than a trans woman would finding lesbians or queer women. These women are so fucking paranoid about dick that I've seen some of them brag about their gold-star status and insist they'd never have sex with a woman who'd been within 5 feet of an erect penis. (Gold-star is a lesbian who's never had any sexual contact with a penis ever (whether it be with a cis man or a trans women. of course, they're transphobic pieces of shit so trans men are ok.) As you can imagine, this obsession with vaginal purity lends itself to them acting like idiotic incels who slut shame the fuck out of bi women, or even lesbians who've been in monogamous marriages with men.

They were always very aggressive in queer lady subs about not wanting to date/fuck a trans woman because penis. In reality trans women want nothing to do with them lol.