LaytonWright

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
What exactly makes you think Squeenix can make a full-fledged Final Fantasy game in only 2-3 years.

Technically the fact they did for Remake.

Remember originally it was with CC2 and then that got canned in 2017 to 2018 and was is in a Unusable state I believe. The game was then in house made from then until release 2 to 3 years.

Next Assets, a good percentage of character assets are in place already which I know isnt a lot but it takes off a fraction of time. Also Square have Mulitple Teams XVI is Creative Business Unit 3, I dont know which teams are on FF7 but I assume at least 2 to 3 teams are working on it at time and also Nomuras comments on wanting to show Part 2 and the update in famitsu just tells me Development is going super well abd that motion capture for the game has been worked on for at least a year and a bit and Voice Actors are NDA'd to hell about any Part 2 news already means VO is happening.

Dizastah

Oct 25, 2017

56266.jpg

Hope you're right!!!

Lockheartilly9799

Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 23, 2017
I do not expect any FFVIIR2 trailers until after XVI is out. XVI will get the full fledged SE marketing. This is actually good for VIIR2. No need to release trailers way too early. Let the game simmer.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017

Remember originally it was with CC2 and then that got canned in 2017 to 2018 and was is in a Unusable state I believe. The game was then in house made from then until release 2 to 3 years.

Next Assets, a good percentage of character assets are in place already which I know isnt a lot but it takes off a fraction of time. Also Square have Mulitple Teams XVI is Creative Business Unit 3, I dont know which teams are on FF7 but I assume at least 2 to 3 teams are working on it at time and also Nomuras comments on wanting to show Part 2 and the update in famitsu just tells me Development is going super well abd that motion capture for the game has been worked on for at least a year and a bit and Voice Actors are NDA'd to hell about any Part 2 news already means VO is happening.
They just brought the project back in-house, I don't think CC2's work was scrapped in its entirety. There might've been some work that they threw away in the process, but all-in-all I've gotten the impression that the move was more about how efficiently the development pipeline between SQEX having full creative control & outsourcing the meat of development to CC2 was working out (as in, development wasn't advancing as quickly or with as high quality results as quickly as SQEX would've wanted when all the lead creatives were basically on SQEX's side and CC2 was acting on their directions). SQEX just wanted key development all in-house, but I don't think all was scrapped. CC2 is still credited in FFVII Remake's credits with all kinds of roles (environmental artists, level designers, game programmers, boss battle director etc.).

Yuuber

Oct 28, 2017
Intergrade is PS5 only so there's no way Part 2 is cross gen.
Yuffie DLC is only next gen so would assume the next part isn't going to be cross gen
Ofc it isn't, we are talking about a 2023 release in the best case scenario.

The game being released in 2023 doesn't mean much, SquareEnix could still decide to release it on Ps4, but those are all excellent points. I'd forgotten Yuffie DLC was next-gen only.

Aurc

Oct 28, 2017
Just wanna know if
Jessie is back. Don't really care about whatever Kingdom Hearts looking villains they're gonna bring in

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Cloud looking at clouds

Also pls ps4 version at 720p i don't care i just don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for this game pls 🙏

asd202

Enlightened
Oct 27, 2017
Lol Nomura getting that Versus vibes. Anyway please be next gen only

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
If they gave us a screenshot of Cloud near the chocobo farm outside of Kalm in real time, i would be okay with just that until 2022. (on top of XVI showings),

Fisty

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah they can't do a classic overworld in a gen 9 AAA JRPG, it's gotta be open world. Very excited to see what they are cooking up

Kitsune86

Nov 25, 2017
What exactly makes you think Squeenix can make a full-fledged Final Fantasy game in only 2-3 years.

they rebuilt 7-R from scratch in 2.5 years, the time between XIII sequels was 2 years between each entry, XIV expansions are every 2 years like clockwork.

square enix can do it for sure. It's whether a Nomura product can ship in that small a time. 7-R he had the benefit of 2 years of planning pre-reboot with cyber connect.Versus XIII got taken away from him after a decade and KH3 was a disgusting mess that required a co-director and six years of dev time.

Ombala

Oct 30, 2017
Well duh, it's the part after Midgar ofc It will have more open nature zones.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
2 years isn't happening, but I don't think 3+-ish years from part 1's release is all that outlandish.

1) they've got the base gameplay figured out so they should be able to just jump into developing a bulk of the gameplay content for any subsequent releases more efficiently (they've already got a whole new playable character up & running a year after, and they had some work on Red XIII already done that they could probably use for a playable version of him), provided they don't do some kind of complete overhaul of the gameplay systems

2) there's not a whole lot they can reuse from Midgar as far as environmental assets go, but FFs generally have plenty of texture-swapped enemies & such that I'm sure they'll take advantage of that will speed up development a little bit as they can fill some of the combat with enemies that don't require a whole lot of work (different Bombs, different coloured Behemoths etc.), instead of having nothing to work with.

3) if/because it's a PS5/new-gen exclusive, that probably solves some tech bottlenecks that might've slowed down & caused issues to development otherwise (having larger traversable environments, mostly)

4) they've got the development pipeline in-house and outsourcing-wise figured out, so they can just continue taking advantage of all the partnerships with the several studios they already outsourced part 1's development to, as they are up to speed with what kind of project they are working on & SQEX has experience managing it all for a project like FFVII Remake.

5) pre-production has been confirmed to have been begun way before part 1 even released & I'd imagine much of the outline of the whole remake project was figured out during the early years of part 1's development already, so I don't think there's quite as big of a ramp-up to full production as there usually is for wholly new projects, so even if the "full production" of FFVII Remake part 2 isn't any faster than Part 1, they possibly won't have the years of pre-production to get there like with Part 1. Like take FFXVI. It started pre-production around 2015-2016 and only entered full production in, what, 2019 or something. I don't think part 2 of FFVII's remake will have such an extensive ramp-up to full production but it's more like FFXIV where they can just have a more continuous production as if they were developing expansions for an MMO rather than making a whole new game from scratch.

Or think about FFXIV. It was a hell getting out even FFXIV 1.0 and when that was a failure they were (almost) literally all hands on deck for ARR. But now? a single division of SQEX can keep pushing out a steady(ish) stream of content for the MMO every year, as well as also releasing big full expansions with significant new gameplay features & large amounts of gameplay & story content every 2 years AND develop a whole new mainline offline Final Fantasy on the side.

I think how long part 2 takes is mostly reliant on how big of a chunk they want it to advance the overarching story (and how big that even ends up being). Of course if they try to remake everything without skipping much & even trying to make it as seamless as possible (world design wise), then that might be a much longer task and... well, see you in 2026. But if they keep the scope in check, something like end of 2023 shouldn't be an impossibility.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
VII-2 will obviously be similar to XVs world! But the towns will probably be better.

We really don't need huge cities for towns like Gongaga, Kalm, or even Cosmo Canyon

MZZ

Nov 2, 2017
I wonder if their turning the area where you fight the Midgar Zolom to huge forest area.

Anyways, I am excited that Nomura is excited to show it. But I am glad they chose not to. I don't mind if they show it next year. Let them focus on XVI for now.

Xeno

Oct 25, 2017
I'm legitimately ready for grass to disappear like 10 feet in front of me. It's gonna be awesome. The corridors were my biggest gripe about part 1.

Ovvv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 11, 2019
I'm legitimately ready for grass to disappear like 10 feet in front of me. It's gonna be awesome. The corridors were my biggest gripe about part 1.

Why would this happen assuming this is a next-gen exclusive?

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I wonder if their turning the area where you fight the Midgar Zolom to huge forest area.

Anyways, I am excited that Nomura is excited to show it. But I am glad they chose not to. I don't mind if they show it next year. Let them focus on XVI for now.
Hopefully, and also, it would be nice if you walked through the desert portion and it really jumped out at random. With you seeing a visual thing (similar to a giant worm going through sand like from a movie).

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
Why are peeps expecting cross gen when the Yuffie episode is next gen exclusive already?
This,

they literally said that they are proceeding with Intergrade being the FFVII, on PS5, and going forward. I think that means that they are considering intergrade the base game, and going only forward beyond that.

Likewise, if any version of VIIR were to come to XBOX, I don't think it would be base VII missing the PS5 content. It would be the intergrade version and it would likely only be PC , X Series , with no Xbox One version.

I think XVI and VII-2 will be revealed and released as PS5 games (no lastgen).. (whatever happens after with them idk) , and eventually VIIR Intergrade comes to X Series only and PC.

CRIMSON-XIII

Oct 25, 2017
Chicago, IL
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a teaser for part 2 during e3.
It just feels weirdly unheard of, for lack of a better way to describe it.

Seeing something as huge as XVI getting a blowout with story, gameplay, etc on top of VII-2, even as a tease.
Hey hopefully.

I think there is more of a chance to see a tease at the next big Kingdom hearts console game for 2022 or 2023 or whatever (KH3 was early 2019).

We shall see! :D

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't be surprised if we see a teaser for part 2 during e3.
Didn't we have promotion for KH3 and FF7R happening at the same time?

Maybe I'm being overly pessimistic expecting nothing until 16 is out but I do think we will see something this year. If not "e3" then TGS, hopefully. Assuming there is one.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
they rebuilt 7-R from scratch in 2.5 years, the time between XIII sequels was 2 years between each entry, XIV expansions are every 2 years like clockwork.

square enix can do it for sure. It's whether a Nomura product can ship in that small a time. 7-R he had the benefit of 2 years of planning pre-reboot with cyber connect.Versus XIII got taken away from him after a decade and KH3 was a disgusting mess that required a co-director and six years of dev time.
Such a short post with so much wrong in it.

badcrumble

Oct 25, 2017
A useful point of comparison here - even though it's not the most flattering - is FFX-2 and FFXIII-2. Especially the latter. Square-Enix has historical management issues for the FF series that cause trouble around tech stuff, storytelling, and gameplay systems, but IMO they don't seem to have a problem with creating assets. FFVIIR-2 is going to have its battle system and the way encounters are designed and so on basically already laid out (I'm sure they'll iterate on these things), and tons of the basic art direction and story are already good to go because it's a remake. That's not to say that there won't be work happening in all of these areas, but there's a lot more existing material to build on than with, say, Versus/FFXV. Pessimism is entirely justifiable when it comes to Square-Enix/FF but I think there are reasons to believe that they can turn this around decently quickly. They'll have to build levels/environments and new enemies and figure out what limitations they do and don't have to deal with on new-gen consoles, but the usual cycle of wheel-reinvention that comes along with mainline FF games isn't gonna be happening at all.

Kain

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
He referring to the Moogle minigame in Gold Saucer obviously

Ploid 6.0

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like waiting for a complete collection is the right mindset for this new series. Especially knowing it's not actually a remake, but a time travel what if story.

So far with the first I'm not impressed or interested. Maybe this new version of it will make it more interesting, and have less load screen masks.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

This is not really accurate. The game went through an initial outsourcing phase that involved dozens of contractors (including CC2 except they were never the main dev, that was always Square Enix) before everything was consolidated in-house. This was as intended. Development was neither restarted nor was CC2 booted off the project.

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
This is not really accurate. The game went through an initial outsourcing phase that involved dozens of contractors (including CC2 except they were never the main dev, that was always Square Enix) before everything was consolidated in-house. This was as intended. Development was neither restarted nor was CC2 booted off the project.
Yeah no this is not true at all. CC2 were absolutely the main developer, they weren't just one of dozens of contractors. The reports of Square Enix starting from scratch are based on leaks from a previous employee...so we can't exactly take it at face value. But we do know CC2 we're booted off, and that it was a 'sensitive subject' so clearly something went down.

Beth Cyra

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Square Enix put out a press release about how they where taking it in house because it was not achieving the quality they wanted.

Nothing about its transition was intended at all.

www.google.com

Final Fantasy 7 Remake development moved in-house at Square Enix

Square Enix has moved development of the Final Fantasy 7 Remake from external developer CyberConnect2 to its in-house t…

A company doesn't call it a sensitive subject andbe concerned about quality and timing if things are going smoothly.

Tetsujin

Unshakable Resolve
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Yeah no this is not true at all. CC2 were absolutely the main developer, they weren't just one of dozens of contractors. The reports of Square Enix starting from scratch are based on leaks from a previous employee...so we can't exactly take it at face value. But we do know CC2 we're booted off, and that it was a 'sensitive subject' so clearly something went down.

No. CC2 was never the main dev. They are by not big enough to even undertake a project like this. They were handling specific things such as cinematic animation, not creating the entire game.
And no, there were no leaks from an employee. The guy who claimed to be a leaker was a proven liar with no credibility whatsoever.
CC2 was absolutely not booted off the project, they're in the credits for crying out loud.