Panam

This guy are sick of Unshakable Resolve
Feb 3, 2021
Looks worse ngl
Just doesn't fit the animations.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
These animations were not designed for 60fps. This is like those youtube videos of "Dragon Ball Z in 60fps!!!", it's unnatural. Turn-based RPGs are absolutely fine in lower framerates. Also my god all these other mods make this game look like a nightmare. What a mess. None of these models, voice acting, background, etc. are good. The original looks better.

Don't. Play the original version. People didn't fall in love with a fanmod, they fell in love with the game the developers made. Mods can be fun but they are meant for future playthroughs. Don't do modded difficulty with goofy extra bosses and jokes added in like New Threat as a first run. That's gross.
With all due respect, miss me with this. Couldn't care less about what made people like it back then, specially with such a loaded and biased pov on that last line.

djplaeskool

Oct 26, 2017
Cool stuff, though you can instantly tell the in-engine models were not animated to handle that kind of framerate scale.

HOTSPUR

Oct 25, 2017
There is a mod that keeps the original font and everything, just AI-upscaled.

edit: link removed, as it's been integrated into Satsuki's mod.

ysLHjIV.png

DkpQv7F.png

kfhEKaL.png

I might actually install it for the font.

now this is what i wanted to see. i hate the cleaner fonts. i know it sounds extremely stupid but the font change and removal of my chunky damage numbers from FFX HD was such a let down. although maybe there is a mod for that these days on the PC version...

Ayirek

Oct 27, 2017
My first thought was "big deal, it won't change the game that much"

Then I saw the video. Holy shit. This is incredible.

Ashes of Dreams

Fallen Guardian of Unshakable Resolve
May 22, 2020
With all due respect, miss me with this. Couldn't care less about what made people like it back then, specially with such a loaded and biased pov on that last line.
Sorry but if someone loads a game full of a bunch of mods that changes how the game looks, sounds, feels, and PLAYS... that's no longer the same game.

People who played FFVII before? Go nuts, if you like the way that shit looks you do you. If you want to add a bunch of goofy joke bosses and alternate routes into the game with New Threat, have a field day. But don't tell people to make that their first experience when they specifically expressed concern about transforming the experience beyond the original too much.

Oct 25, 2017
These animations were not designed for 60fps. This is like those youtube videos of "Dragon Ball Z in 60fps!!!", it's unnatural. Turn-based RPGs are absolutely fine in lower framerates. Also my god all these other mods make this game look like a nightmare. What a mess. None of these models, voice acting, background, etc. are good. The original looks better.

Don't. Play the original version. People didn't fall in love with a fanmod, they fell in love with the game the developers made. Mods can be fun but they are meant for future playthroughs. Don't do modded difficulty with goofy extra bosses and jokes added in like New Threat as a first run. That's gross.

Looks worse ngl
Just doesn't fit the animations.

The battle animations are 100% working correctly and look great at 60fps, they are not sped up in the slightest. The field model is the one that looks like its still using a lower framerate. And for real, do ya'll seriously want to stick with that juddering camera forever? I've only ever played the original 15 years ago on PSP, and seeing that terrible camera movement blown up on my monitor actually made me feel a little nausea for a second.

Purists need to chill out. FFVII model and texture modding has been a thing for a long time. You don't have to use them, and they don't relate to the animation mod. People are free to do whatever they want with the game they bought. My first and only time experience with Max Payne 1 is via the Kung Fu mod, for example. What about Director's Cuts/Final Mixes, same shit with a corporate stamp.

Last edited:

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Sorry but if someone loads a game full of a bunch of mods that changes how the game looks, sounds, feels, and PLAYS... that's no longer the same game.

People who played FFVII before? Go nuts, if you like the way that shit looks you do you. If you want to add a bunch of goofy joke bosses and alternate routes into the game with New Threat, have a field day. But don't tell people to make that their first experience when they specifically expressed concern about transforming the experience beyond the original too much.

He......he's the guy that's gonna play it for the first time lol. You don't need to defend him from himself.

Tsunamods

Apr 18, 2021

I actually agree, if you're playing OG FF7 for the first time ever, don't mess with it.
To me the only mods a 1st runner should use is the upscales of the vanilla textures. They are identical but with more detail and higher resolution.
Enjoy the game first so you can appreciate what the mods do after you've enjoyed it once.

Of course we all like different mods and styles and that's totally fine!
I create just about any mod I can just because I can, even if I don't like it (Look up the Barret mod... seriously, it's a nightmare lol)
But my job is just to give people options, nobody is forced to use what they don't like so we all win!

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Why aren't these mods on ModDB or Nexusmods? Digging through a forum is such a convoluted way of doing things.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse SƩrƩnissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
I'm busy at the moment so can't watch the video in full.

I have the game on steam, but I saw something about needing the 1998 version for this mod to work so... not sure how this is going to work. Unless I'm missing something, which I most likely am.

Been preparing to play this game on PC with mods for the first time, and I've heard of 7th Heaven.

I'll look more into this when I'm at home, but for now, just wondering how the part where he said "don't use this with the steam version of the game."

Tsunamods

Apr 18, 2021
Why aren't these mods on ModDB or Nexusmods? Digging through a forum is such a convoluted way of doing things.

A lot of them are, most in fact. The driver itself isn't yet until it hits its next stable release.
I've fell behind on updating it a bit but we keep all of our teams work on this one page for ease of access:
www.nexusmods.com

Tsunamods Team mod collection

A variety of mods created by the Tsunamods Team. Audio, Graphics, everything

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
That UI is just *awful*

Impressive at 60fps but it looks off somehow. Maybe it's the literal 25 years I've spent looking at it jittery.

Tsunamods

Apr 18, 2021
I'm busy at the moment so can't watch the video in full.

I have the game on steam, but I saw something about needing the 1998 version for this mod to work so... not sure how this is going to work. Unless I'm missing something, which I most likely am.

You can use any PC version. But it requires the 7th Heaven mod manager. The manager has to convert your steam game back into the 1998 one in order for mods to work. That's why you need the 1998 version of the driver. So Steam WILL work.

It'd actually be nice if we could update the original post with my info to help with confusion.

Pwnz

Oct 28, 2017
Places
I had FF7 on PC in the 1990s and I swear there was a mod that bumped the framerate. I have no recollection about how I found said mod considering the web was so early

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
Purists need to chill out. FFVII model and texture modding has been a thing for a long time. You don't have to use them, and they don't relate to the animation mod. People are free to do whatever they want with the game they bought.
Nah. This game means a lot to me and I think people should experience it before fucking with it.
You say people are free to do whatever they want. Sure. And I'm free to tell them I think that's a bad way to experience the game for the first time.
People can also skip all the cutscenes in a game, mash through dialogue, and turn the music off. Is nobody allowed to say, like, maybe don't?

He......he's the guy that's gonna play it for the first time lol. You don't need to defend him from himself.
I did fail to notice that but it doesn't change my point at all. You shouldn't be loading this game up with a bunch of mods that change how it looks, sounds, and plays on a first playthrough.

I actually agree, if you're playing OG FF7 for the first time ever, don't mess with it.
To me the only mods a 1st runner should use is the upscales of the vanilla textures. They are identical but with more detail and higher resolution.
Enjoy the game first so you can appreciate what the mods do after you've enjoyed it once.
Thank you!

This is some disingenuous misrepresentation of what New Threat is.
I don't remember too many jokes in New Threat, besides Barret referencing Pointy bits.
Is New Threat not the mod that adds lame side quests and bonus bosses with bad dialogue and has you using a Phoenix Down to revive Aerith after her death in a dumb comedy scene?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Nah. This game means a lot to me and I think people should experience it before fucking with it.
You say people are free to do whatever they want. Sure. And I'm free to tell them I think that's a bad way to experience the game for the first time.

So play it on original hardware on a CRT. That's the only way to get the real experience /s

People aren't stupid. They can look at what modders have done and decide if its appealing or not for themselves. Game is ancient and the PC version wasn't perfect to begin with, same with other psx to PC versions.

Tsunamods

Apr 18, 2021
Is New Threat not the mod that adds lame side quests and bonus bosses with bad dialogue and has you using a Phoenix Down to revive Aerith after her death in a dumb comedy scene?

There's a chance that that's the Final Mix+ mod. But it's a really rare mod so maybe not.
New Threat has a bunch of versions so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most of them are just a straight rebalance/difficulty increase.
Sega Chief is very faithful with the game, until he's not.. I know that makes little sense but he helped make the Barret mod.
You'll understand when/if you see it

Nov 13, 2017
Damn. That is absolutely incredible. I wish I had the patience to deal with the mods that the community has worked on over the years. They're so good, but inconsistent at times and it takes me out of it.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of them are, most in fact. The driver itself isn't yet until it hits its next stable release.
I've fell behind on updating it a bit but we keep all of our teams work on this one page for ease of access:
www.nexusmods.com

Tsunamods Team mod collection

A variety of mods created by the Tsunamods Team. Audio, Graphics, everything

The mods are almost all in the catalog of 7th Heaven. You do not need to go to the forum.

.... I'm gonna stfu and go back to downloading FF7 lol.

You say that as if you're the only person the game means a lot to. FFVII is one of the foundational experiences of my youth. It brought me into RPGs, and RPGs got me interested in reading, which allowed me to expand my vocabulary as much as I have, which got me into creative writing. Not to mention being able to convey ideas in general.

Some people found books that did that for them, I found a game with a dude who looked like a blonde Goku with a bigass sword.

And even if I wouldn't do it, having their first experience be a modded one isn't a crime. The game is 20+ years old at this point; anyone in this thread has seen and read enough on forums and youtube, experienced enough by proxy that mods aren't going to utterly ruin anything.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
You can use any PC version. But it requires the 7th Heaven mod manager. The manager has to convert your steam game back into the 1998 one in order for mods to work. That's why you need the 1998 version of the driver. So Steam WILL work.

It'd actually be nice if we could update the original post with my info to help with confusion.

Nice. Thank you for clarifying.

And thank you and everyone who worked on the mod as well. Saw the youtube video just now and it runs great from what I'm seeing.

Tsunamods

Apr 18, 2021
Nice. Thank you for clarifying.

And thank you and everyone who worked on the mod as well. Saw the youtube video just now and it runs great from what I'm seeing.

It runs so smoothly, I honestly couldn't believe it when I seen it. I'll never go back now, ever.
In fact, alongside of my Voice Acting mod my mission now is to convert every animation in every model pack to work with this.
Or if I can, make them even better and more natural looking. The tools we have to create animations are of the worst I've seen in my life which makes it hard but we'll see. Hopefully.

OP
OP
AuthenticM

AuthenticM

Son Altesse SƩrƩnissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
You are referencing an old and deprecated version of New Threat. The bonus bosses and different scenarios are now secluded to Game Type B, which is opposed to Game Type A, which mostly sticks to the vanilla scenarios. There are a couple of new bosses in Game Type A, including the scorpion tank, which is now a recurring boss fight Ć  la Nemesis. Outside of that, it sticks to the canonical stuff.

You can still keep Aerith alive, though that happens differently now. When I've recommended New Threat to newcomers before, I have told them how to avoid that. It's the one thing I wish Sega Chief would remove from Game Type A, but he prefers not to.

Nov 13, 2017
Gonna post again and jump in to defend mods because people ITT are just needlessly shitting on them. Yea, they're inconsistent sometimes and I have my own hangups, but to say that the game looks worse and telling people to not download them, you're actively harming an extremely dedicated modding scene and people who want to experiment with a 25 year old game. Do you people have any idea how long it took to get the first mods of the game working? Do you know how long it took to get a functional 7th Heaven launcher made available that didn't crash all the time? Countless hours by tons of people.

Modders are mostly hobbyists. No one is doing this for a living. Sure, some people do it and put it on their resume, which they absolutely should be doing, but at the end of the day, they're tinkering with something for fun. It takes serious guts to release a mod to the public with your name on it, especially one that you think you'll keep working on but ultimately end up abandoning. If you don't like the mods, don't download them. You're entitled to your opinion, but to actively rail against them is just cruel.

Tsunamods thank you to you and everyone who has worked on this mod and all the other mods for the game over the years. I really wish I was able to do a full playthrough with mods, but the mixed visual styles break my sense of immersion. That's my own personal hangup and not a reflection on the efforts everyone put in.

Oct 25, 2017
People can also skip all the cutscenes in a game, mash through dialogue, and turn the music off. Is nobody allowed to say, like, maybe don't?
I had a member of this forum vehemently tell me during the GAF days that I shouldn't have save scummed my first playthrough of Dark Souls, gave off this kind of energy. I almost stopped playing the game before doing that, I quit the habit by the end. Ultimately put 250 hours into the game. I didn't find their input satisfactory.

Give people recommendations to enhance their experience, be constructive - not having a shitty framerate included. If they don't give a fuck about cannon and want to install a mod to change hair color, outfits, textures, or even dialogue and story, don't beat them over the head about how much of a true fan you are because nobody cares. They can stroll down the stock path later if they want.

If/When they start talking about their New Threat fanfics later, you don't have to care either.

Last edited:

Tsunamods

Apr 18, 2021
Gonna post again and jump in to defend mods because people ITT are just needlessly shitting on them. Yea, they're inconsistent sometimes and I have my own hangups, but to say that the game looks worse and telling people to not download them, you're actively harming an extremely dedicated modding scene and people who want to experiment with a 25 year old game. Do you people have any idea how long it took to get the first mods of the game working? Do you know how long it took to get a functional 7th Heaven launcher made available that didn't crash all the time? Countless hours by tons of people.

Modders are mostly hobbyists. No one is doing this for a living. Sure, some people do it and put it on their resume, which they absolutely should be doing, but at the end of the day, they're tinkering with something for fun. It takes serious guts to release a mod to the public with your name on it, especially one that you think you'll keep working on but ultimately end up abandoning. If you don't like the mods, don't download them. You're entitled to your opinion, but to actively rail against them is just cruel.

Tsunamods thank you to you and everyone who has worked on this mod and all the other mods for the game over the years. I really wish I was able to do a full playthrough with mods, but the mixed visual styles break my sense of immersion. That's my own personal hangup and not a reflection on the efforts everyone put in.

If you need a good set to do a full consistent run I can absolutely help you out with that. It can be done.
Mods are so spread out and some well known, some not known at all. In my experience I've seen them all now and could probably create a "Definitive" version for every type of person.

Thanks for your kind words though, I am in fact lucky enough to have this as my full time job. But not via donations, how people manage that stuff is beyond me. But I stream the creation of them and apparently people enjoy watching that lol. I believe we are the first ever team to collaborate and help each other, share knowledge and collab in mods for FF7. Before we started everyone was sorta just solo. It helped make strides far easier.

manzoman96

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, the 60 fps mod looks incredible! I just happened to get the steam version on sale not too long ago. Whenever I decide to dive back in, I'll have to play around with some of these mods.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
There's a chance that that's the Final Mix+ mod. But it's a really rare mod so maybe not.
New Threat has a bunch of versions so I wouldn't worry about it too much. Most of them are just a straight rebalance/difficulty increase.
Sega Chief is very faithful with the game, until he's not.. I know that makes little sense but he helped make the Barret mod.
You'll understand when/if you see it
Is this not the mod people are talking about when they say "New Threat?"
When I first saw people talking about it I looked into it and these videos are what popped up for me:

I skimmed these videos and saw a lot of things I didn't like. Some stuff like boss fights changing to have new things happen in them, changing the script, adding a bunch of bonus bosses with goofy dialogue. That should not be someone's first playthrough.
But this especially should not be:
www.youtube.com

Yep...This Actually Happened : FFVII - New Threat + Mods (Part 7)

Check out our Livestream! http://twitch.tv/maximilian_doodCheck out BLD by NZXT! The simplest way to get a customized gaming PC. ā–ŗā–ŗā–ŗ https://nzxt.co/MaxYTGet...

I'll be honest, I don't really like this guy's content or style so I just skimmed these videos. If it's not the New Threat mod that did all of this then I'll stand corrected, though if so these videos are misleading.

So play it on original hardware on a CRT. That's the only way to get the real experience /s

People aren't stupid. They can look at what modders have done and decide if its appealing or not for themselves. Game is ancient and the PC version wasn't perfect to begin with, same with other psx to PC versions.
You say that as if you're the only person the game means a lot to. FFVII is one of the foundational experiences of my youth. It brought me into RPGs, and RPGs got me interested in reading, which allowed me to expand my vocabulary as much as I have, which got me into creative writing. Not to mention being able to convey ideas in general.

Some people found books that did that for them, I found a game with a dude who looked like a blonde Goku with a bigass sword.

And even if I wouldn't do it, having their first experience be a modded one isn't a crime. The game is 20+ years old at this point; anyone in this thread has seen and read enough on forums and youtube, experienced enough by proxy that mods aren't going to utterly ruin anything.
I disagree. What does the game being 20 years old have to do with anything? It was great 20 years ago and it's great now. If someone wants to use mods that slightly touch up the experience or bring it closer to the original release, I can understand that. But, as I've said, if you're using mods that dramatically change how the game plays, looks, sounds, and is told... yeah, I think that's bad. You shouldn't do that on a first playthrough. You wanna call me a purist or whatever? Fine. If thinking people should play games in their original form before modding it makes me a purist, so be it.
(Not to mention I think a lot of these mods look worse than the originals anyway)

But also there's already confusing in this thread about what New Threat is, so claiming that it's easy to navigate isn't true either.

Edit: I cannot keep up with these replies, they keep coming in before I can even post...

Give people recommendations to enhance their experience, be constructive - not having a shitty framerate included. If they don't give a fuck about cannon and want to install a mod to change hair color, outfits, or textures, or even dialogue and story, don't beat them over the head about how much of a true fan you are because nobody cares.

When they start talking about their New Threat fanfics later, you don't have to care either.
So I'm not supposed to care about video games, other people, or other people's experience with video games? Like, I'm on a video game discussion forum. I do care. I'm sorry if the fact that I care bothers you but I honestly find these replies much stranger than anything I originally said in here. I really don't think it's such a strange thing to tell people to experience the game as it was originally designed before modding it to hell. Even the person whose account is about these mods agreed with me.

Also the characterization of me as someone claiming I'm a "true fan" is... something. I'm sorry this is causing you to flash back about some Dark Souls thing that happened to you but don't project. I'm clearly saying this because I think the original unmodded experience is the best way for people to see the game.

You are referencing an old and deprecated version of New Threat. The bonus bosses and different scenarios are now secluded to Game Type B, which is opposed to Game Type A, which mostly sticks to the vanilla scenarios. There are a couple of new bosses in Game Type A, including the scorpion tank, which is now a recurring boss fight Ć  la Nemesis. Outside of that, it sticks to the canonical stuff.

You can still keep Aerith alive, though that happens differently now. When I've recommended New Threat to newcomers before, I have told them how to avoid that. It's the one thing I wish Sega Chief would remove from Game Type A, but he prefers not to.
So, you're aware of a version of New Threat that contains all the different scenarios and bonus bosses, jokey shity, and the Aerith revival. Quite disingenuous of YOU to say that me bringing them up is a "disingenuous misrepresentation of what New Threat is". You knew exactly what I was talking about.

And even if newer versions have an option to not include all that stuff, you're saying the WORST OFFENDER is still forced in there? And you need to explain to people, who haven't played the game before, how to avoid it? You really don't think that's a negative mark on the experience? For people to not only be spoiled on some level about upcoming things but for them to need you to explain to them how they have to jump through hoops to avoid the shit the mod adds that completely destroys the entire story and tone of the most powerful moment?

I'm sorry but I'm not changing my mind here. Nobody should be dealing with this shit on their first playthrough. Just play the fucking game the way it was intended and use mods to spice it up when you want to replay it.

Tsunamods

Apr 18, 2021
Is this not the mod people are talking about when they say "New Threat?"
When I first saw people talking about it I looked into it and these videos are what popped up for me:

I skimmed these videos and saw a lot of things I didn't like. Some stuff like boss fights changing to have new things happen in them, changing the script, adding a bunch of bonus bosses with goofy dialogue. That should not be someone's first playthrough.
But this especially should not be:
www.youtube.com

Yep...This Actually Happened : FFVII - New Threat + Mods (Part 7)

Check out our Livestream! http://twitch.tv/maximilian_doodCheck out BLD by NZXT! The simplest way to get a customized gaming PC. ā–ŗā–ŗā–ŗ https://nzxt.co/MaxYTGet...

Nah you're right, I haven't played many New Threats, and there's been a LOT of them. Heck every version of New Threat has at least 2 versions inside itself.
I absolutely does have some that change the game a good bit so you're not wrong

Nov 13, 2017
If you need a good set to do a full consistent run I can absolutely help you out with that. It can be done.
Mods are so spread out and some well known, some not known at all. In my experience I've seen them all now and could probably create a "Definitive" version for every type of person.

Thanks for your kind words though, I am in fact lucky enough to have this as my full time job. But not via donations, how people manage that stuff is beyond me. But I stream the creation of them and apparently people enjoy watching that lol. I believe we are the first ever team to collaborate and help each other, share knowledge and collab in mods for FF7. Before we started everyone was sorta just solo. It helped make strides far easier.

Happy to be proven wrong about doing this full time. Congrats to you!

If there ever was a definitive edition w/ mods, I would definitely give it a shot again. I've played 7 dozens of times since 1997, and I even had a triangle box copy that I bought from CompUSA in 1998. Sometimes I get the itch to play it again, but I'm the kind of person who needs to be able to just sit down and play something. Experimenting with mod combos kills my motivation and enthusiasm, so if there was ever a package of mods that did all that for me and kept the visuals consistent, I'd be down for sure!

Tsunamods

Apr 18, 2021
Happy to be proven wrong about doing this full time. Congrats to you!

If there ever was a definitive edition w/ mods, I would definitely give it a shot again. I've played 7 dozens of times since 1997, and I even had a triangle box copy that I bought from CompUSA in 1998. Sometimes I get the itch to play it again, but I'm the kind of person who needs to be able to just sit down and play something. Experimenting with mod combos kills my motivation and enthusiasm, so if there was ever a package of mods that did all that for me and kept the visuals consistent, I'd be down for sure!

What type of player are you? What is too far over the line? I can't make you a all-in-one pack that just works.
But I can make you a zip that contains all the mods I think you'd enjoy based on your answer and instructions on how to install them.
It's far easier than you'd think. Granted FF7 is a B***h and doesn't always like to play nice but I can give it a shot for you

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
Nah you're right, I haven't played many New Threats, and there's been a LOT of them. Heck every version of New Threat has at least 2 versions inside itself.
I absolutely does have some that change the game a good bit so you're not wrong
Yeah, I'm sticking to my guns on that mod then. I think telling people to use that for a first playthrough is gross.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. What does the game being 20 years old have to do with anything? It was great 20 years ago and it's great now.

Early 3d games often age awkwardly, especially PC ports of said games. If you're a purist you're playing on original hardware, not the PC version.

There are serious custom QOL changes that can make older games much more enjoyable, like most PC games tend to have, and its a personal choice if you want to look at what's being offered. This isn't just you being a purist, you're attempting to shut down what could potentially be a better experience by projecting your own preference.

Nov 13, 2017
What type of player are you? What is too far over the line? I can't make you a all-in-one pack that just works.
But I can make you a zip that contains all the mods I think you'd enjoy based on your answer and instructions on how to install them.
It's far easier than you'd think. Granted FF7 is a B***h and doesn't always like to play nice but I can give it a shot for you

I'd be down for a New Threat playthrough (that's what I tried last time), and I'm on board with any texture packs. I don't think I'd go with voice acting, and I'd like a music toggle (even if it's replacing files and restarting the game, that's fine). It's really the visual consistency that breaks me haha. I dig the models you had enabled in your 60fps video.

Tsunamods

Apr 18, 2021
I'd be down for a New Threat playthrough (that's what I tried last time), and I'm on board with any texture packs. I don't think I'd go with voice acting, and I'd like a music toggle (even if it's replacing files and restarting the game, that's fine). It's really the visual consistency that breaks me haha. I dig the models you had enabled in your 60fps video.

Noted, as long as I can remember to do this tomorrow I'll get you a pack. If it doesn't suit then meh, we tried.
I have a vastly different taste to most people. One of my biggest projects right now is I'm actually importing the remake model into the OG.
And I know, 90% of people reading this are thinking WTF is wrong with you! But it is how it is. Maybe I like it more because I'm the one making it, I dunno.
But I don't think they look that bad honestly. As long as other mods are there to compliment them. My point being, you can take this game, VERY far.

Passive readers, don't yell at me, I know I'm weird okay. But I also get paid to do this so.. win win?

E9VwOSbWQAIufby

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
Early 3d games often age awkwardly, especially PC ports of said games. If you're a purist you're playing on original hardware, not the PC version.

There are serious custom QOL changes that can make older games much more enjoyable, like most PC games tend to have, and its a personal choice if you want to look at what's being offered. This isn't just you being a purist, you're attempting to shut down what could potentially be a better experience by projecting your own preference.
I'm not the one who called myself a purist. I also never said not to use mods that touch up the experience. Or to customize the game closer to what you'd like.

I said not to use mods that dramatically change how the game looks, sounds, is told, or played on a first playthrough, specifically and directly referring to someone being told to play the game for the first time with the New Threat mod. A mod that completely changes most boss fights, adds new dialogue and scenarios not intended, and completely destroys the tone of the most memorable moment of the game. It's a mod that has you reviving Aerith for fucks sake. That's not playing Final Fantasy VII. I don't care if someone thinks having harder boss fights is worth destroying the story, themes, and tone of the game. If you play that, you will have not played the game people are talking about when they say they love Final Fantasy VII.

I also said that I think all the "we added new photorealistic models into the game but not for the NPCs so the game looks like a nightmare mismash with unnatural animations" shit is ugly as hell. Which, maybe you disagree with me, that's fine. I don't recall asking mods to ban anyone who disagrees with me. I also didn't say not to use the 60 fps mod either. I just told someone not to use New Threat and was then called purist and a bunch of other shit, like six replies of people either directly lying to say I'm misrepresenting it despite knowing what I'm talking about, or projecting some old Dark Souls argument onto me, or whatever.

Ashes of Dreams

May 22, 2020
ok the Aerith mod sounds kinda wack lol
It's literally the mod I came in to tell someone not to use. It does that, changes all the boss fights (and not just makes them harder, has weird shit happen in them like characters joining the fight that weren't there originally). It's very clearly someone's FFVII fanfic overlayed on top of the game. If people like it because of the extra challenge, that's fine, but not for a first playthrough. If newer versions have an option to do the hard mode stuff without all the changes, that'd also be fine, but that doesn't seem to be fully the case.

Maybe you all should have actually known what the fucking mod were you defending was before jumping down my throat.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe you all should have actually known what the fucking mod were you defending was before jumping down my throat.

Probably because this was your first post in a thread specifically about a 60fps mod:

Went off on almost every aspect of modding. "mods can be fun but they're meant for future playthroughs", so no, you weren't only talking about the one that changes the story.

60fps version might be bringing in people who otherwise would have never even given it a shot.

Last edited:

Chance Hale

Oct 26, 2017
Colorado
Fix 8 and 9 too please, it's a fucking sin such gorgeous games were ever 15 fps and still are in 2022 even with amazing HD background mods

Shame the steam release of FF7 is so borked but at least you can downgrade and what not

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm not supposed to care about video games, other people, or other people's experience with video games?

Like, I'm on a video game discussion forum. I do care. I'm sorry if the fact that I care bothers you but I honestly find these replies much stranger than anything I originally said in here. I really don't think it's such a strange thing to tell people to experience the game as it was originally designed before modding it to hell. Even the person whose account is about these mods agreed with me.

Also the characterization of me as someone claiming I'm a "true fan" is... something. I'm sorry this is causing you to flash back about some Dark Souls thing that happened to you but don't project. I'm clearly saying this because I think the original unmodded experience is the best way for people to see the game.
To the extent that you tell them how they have to enjoy something 100% original as intended? Yeah, that's silly. Emulators, director's cuts versions, use of specific original controllers, which audio track to use, all similar attributes. Alternative ways to experience things, official or not, are fine.

You can tell people that OG is recommended. If they don't agree, let them be. Appealing to that other person as an authority figure is whatever. Gatekeeping is stupid and turns people off is what I'm getting at, its not helpful. The sentiment has the potential to prevent people from getting to enjoy a thing entirely.

Characterizing me as someone deeply affected is quite something. When I say "nobody cares about you being a true fan", that means Y O U šŸ‘ˆ, the neighborhood stray dog, a 5th grade math teacher in south dakota, the guy working the deli at walmart on the weekend, that wonderful era member, etc. A generalization, open mic night at the club, show and tell, open house, job fair. All are welcome. Sorry that wasn't clear.

Last edited: