TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Ahhh so it's a bit like the Nexus Mods Manager, but for FFVII? I assume it works on the steam version? I recall that being an issue back in the day. Now to see if it will play nice in Linux...
It works with Steam.

Really though, if you don't mind living with the OG 7 naming conventions for magic, mod the game with SYW on Windows and migrate that same install to whatever drive you're using with Linux, SYW doesn't require the mod loader active to start like 7th Heaven does.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
Seems like you can't even download that voice acting mod, they took down the link due to running out of bandwidth.

They should really sort out a torrent link or something for the time being as a backup. I know that's often how big mods are shared because bandwidth is always a bit of an issue.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Tbh, it's weird looking at these advanced battle models and high res textures with hardly any lighting on them, makes it look like a kind of beta. The older graphics have a more consistent look, even the lego models. Something just sort of dissonant in having highly detailed textures but the overall visual look still looks dated, making the whole thing worse imo

mute

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Satsuki Yatoshi and I am not sure I'd ever want anything else.

I was disappointed when I got to FF8 and there wasn't something similar packaged up nicely.

Enthus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Satsuki Yatoshi and I am not sure I'd ever want anything else.

I was disappointed when I got to FF8 and there wasn't something similar packaged up nicely.

Mcindus is working on FF8s installer!

I'm playing through 7 with Satsuki Yatoshi now on my steam deck. The only thing I wish they offered was the upscaled FMVs with the original chibi models.

Nov 4, 2017
It works with Steam.

Really though, if you don't mind living with the OG 7 naming conventions for magic, mod the game with SYW on Windows and migrate that same install to whatever drive you're using with Linux, SYW doesn't require the mod loader active to start like 7th Heaven does.
That does sound easier. I might have a look ok the weekend.

mute

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Mcindus is working on FF8s installer!

I'm playing through 7 with Satsuki Yatoshi now on my steam deck. The only thing I wish they offered was the upscaled FMVs with the original chibi models.
Some of the alternate models I've seen look pretty bad but I liked the ones included here. Keeping it to just gouraud shading helps.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
The last time I tried to mod the PC version, it was a nightmare. Hopefully the modding is easier than it was before now..

Would someone mind sharing an easy to follow tutorial or guide on how to set up the latest way?

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
The last time I tried to mod the PC version, it was a nightmare. Hopefully the modding is easier than it was before now..

Would someone mind sharing an easy to follow tutorial or guide on how to set up the latest way?
Seems pretty easy these days, you just install 7thHeaven Mod Manager and it should auto detect your Steam install. Then you just need to double click on what you want inside the mod manager to install from the catalog page.

mute

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017

This is what I followed:

www.youtube.com

How to install Final Fantasy VII HD Mod on Steam Deck (FF7 Satsuki Yatoshi SYW Mod)

Download the mod: https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=20434.0Update 2023-01-31:- There's reports that enabling Steam Achievements from the launcher can ...

It is made with steam deck in mind but the steps are not that different. Just run the exe if you are in windows.

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
Kinda makes it sound like English dubs of Naruto or a 90s Japanese RPG. Not how I would imagine the voices, but it is comedic enough to warrant a playthrough with it. It gives it kind of an endearing charm lol. That being said I normally do replays without mods, since I prefer the original look/sound of the game - and that's what I recommend newcomers do, then try mods after if they really liked it.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Skipped around and the VA is a nice touch, they even applied an echo when Tifa says "I hate them all" inside the Nibel reactor

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, even the pre-rendered backgrounds are widescreen? That's amazing! Definitely going to have to replay the game this year.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Seems pretty easy these days, you just install 7thHeaven Mod Manager and it should auto detect your Steam install. Then you just need to double click on what you want inside the mod manager to install from the catalog page.
This is what I followed:

www.youtube.com

How to install Final Fantasy VII HD Mod on Steam Deck (FF7 Satsuki Yatoshi SYW Mod)

Download the mod: https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=20434.0Update 2023-01-31:- There's reports that enabling Steam Achievements from the launcher can ...

It is made with steam deck in mind but the steps are not that different. Just run the exe if you are in windows.

Thank you both !

CosmosXIII

Feb 15, 2022
Holy shit, even the pre-rendered backgrounds are widescreen? That's amazing! Definitely going to have to replay the game this year.
Yes, but only for backgrounds that were wide enough to make widescreen (those that had horizontal scrolling). That said, I'm currently working on a solution to make all backgrounds widescreen which I probably release sometime this year.

ozumas

Born to be Wise and Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 15, 2020
the only thing I don't like is the changes to the BSO, at least for what I can see

GenTask

Nov 15, 2017
This is what I followed:

www.youtube.com

Does this make it possible to still play the game with the Steam achievements though? The last I checked it did not.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but only for backgrounds that were wide enough to make widescreen (those that had horizontal scrolling). That said, I'm currently working on a solution to make all backgrounds widescreen which I probably release sometime this year.
Thank you for your hard work on this. It's super appreciated.

Anything else that you are working on? Short-term, long-term? I think I read a while ago that maybe you guys were thinking of adding support for FF8 to 7th Heaven? Is that a thing?

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
The video in the OP looks really nice, all those visual tweaks and additional SFX, even the voiceover at times; I wouldn't recommend it as a first experience, but it seems to be an interesting alternative for those who have already played the game and are looking for a new playthrough.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The video in the OP looks really nice, all those visual tweaks and additional SFX, even the voiceover at times; I wouldn't recommend it as a first experience, but it seems to be an interesting alternative for those who have already played the game and are looking for a new playthrough.
I would 100% recommend the upscaled backgrounds, upscaled FMVs, 30fps FMVs, and 60fps gameplay to someone as a first time experience. There's no reason not to. Everything else may be additive, but the bare minimum that the SYW adds is pretty much essential these days.

Crumrin

Banned
Feb 27, 2020
I would 100% recommend the upscaled backgrounds, upscaled FMVs, 30fps FMVs, and 60fps gameplay to someone as a first time experience. There's no reason not to. Everything else may be additive, but the bare minimum that the SYW adds is pretty much essential these days.

The original version is so ingrained in my head that it's hard to recommend something different to newcomers, but maybe you're right. 😉

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The original version is so ingrained in my head that it's hard to recommend something different to newcomers, but maybe you're right. 😉
SYW at bare minimum is the original version, but how you remember it. You got the original soundtrack, combat feels the same, and so on. You just get a consistent framerate faster than 15fps.

mute

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Does this make it possible to still play the game with the Steam achievements though? The last I checked it did not.
Looking at my achievements list, I have some but not all that I should have. So it is likely not completely working, though I don't care about that really.

It does make a separate save file than the unmodded version, but I was able to copy it over and play it that way just fine.

CosmosXIII

Feb 15, 2022
Thank you for your hard work on this. It's super appreciated.

Anything else that you are working on? Short-term, long-term? I think I read a while ago that maybe you guys were thinking of adding support for FF8 to 7th Heaven? Is that a thing?
I have multiple projects going on right now. Some may take more than others but I will probably do an announcement sometime soon. I don't want to give too much details for now but one of these projects is related to the world map.

About FF8 in 7th Heaven I haven't heard of this but I do not work on that myself, just FFNx and my own mods.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have multiple projects going on right now. Some may take more than others but I will probably do an announcement sometime soon. I don't want to give too much details for now but one of these projects is related to the world map.

About FF8 in 7th Heaven I haven't heard of this but I do not work on that myself, just FFNx and my own mods.
Cool, thank you!

ciddative

Apr 5, 2018
I think Beacause has a version for the PC port, too. And Royale can always be applied with Reshade.

Indeed, Beacause was originally part of the Reunion PC project and was later ported for the PSX version. I prefer PSX version because it's the initially intended experience unlike the PC version which had to be jury-rigged to even remotely match the PS1 version feature set, and still looks/plays off to me. YMMV of course

Last edited:

ev0

Oct 25, 2017
WzISrGIl.jpg

Mayjur

Feb 7, 2021
The voice acting immediately reminds me of the early days of anime voice dubbing, so much so to the point that I have to feel like it is 100% intentional.

Daddy JeanPi

Prophet of Truth that's Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
The voice acting mod should not be mentioned, ever. Let's forget it exists.

Magnus

Oct 25, 2017
There was so much vocal support for the voice mod, even here in a thread last week I think (?) But yeah wow, I kind of hated it lol. Was so puzzled that it got such a warm reception. I respect the obviously huge amount of work that went into it, nonetheless. The end result just wasn't great from the clips I heard.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
I've not tried installing through that method but 7th Heaven has an option in its settings to enable Steam support which does allow Steam Achievements to work.

If you're wanting to install 7th Heaven on Steam deck you need to follow a guide like this though. Once it's set up the catalog page doesn't seem to work so you need to download/import manually but otherwise once set up and Steam compat is enabled, achievements and time counting etc work a long with the mods.

RedRum

Newbie Paper Plane Pilot
Oct 25, 2017
I guess it's partially joke, but the cussing is egregious not in a good way to me. 🙄

Lol. Here's what the mod makers said about this on their youtube.

Summary of this mod:
It seems we may have added too much swearing in the trailer specifically.
The mod doesn't actually contain that much at all, it just happened to be in areas/features we wanted to show off. So we may have falsely represented ourselves a little there.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017
This thread got me to install FF7 with the Satsuki Yatoshi mod and I added a scanline filter courtesy of ReShade that I'm still tinkering with.

I ended up turning off the hi-res text / menus since I didn't like the way they looked but left a lot of the other HD stuff toggled on aside from the models. I need my low polygon lego people. 60fps gameplay, 30fps movies, true widescreen where available. Feeling great about it.

The crown jewel for me is having the analog control back. I've been dealing with the 8-way so long that I forgot how nice the analog movement was.

I really hope FF8 gets to this level at some point, and it looks like FF9 is just about there barring the 60fps menus, unless something has changed on that front.