• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Any translation fixes available that are compatible with these fancy new mods? I used to go with beacause but that seems to be incompatible with 7th heaven for some reason? I feel like the translation is the biggest glaring issue with FF7 so I'm surprised there aren't any alternatives. But maybe I don't know where to look.

(I should add I'm not interested in the voice acting, obviously it'd be weird to want a different script if the voices aren't going to match up)
New Threat comes with a fixed script.

AuthenticM

Son Altesse Sérénissime
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ooo
New Threat seems to change a lot of other things too though huh. Bit wary about the new content, any impressions?
New Threat comes with two game types: Type A and Type B. Type A mostly follows the same scenes and encounters as the vanilla game. The main differences are:

1. a couple of new mandatory bosses (which are neat)
2. brand new endgame bosses (which are only activated when you reach the very end of the last dungeon in the game, making them easy to ignore if you only want to do the vanilla endgame)
3. spoiler: it lets you save aerith as an option. If you go down that route, aerith will be organically integrated into the game's story with new dialogue.

Type B goes buck wild and changes a ton of stuff. Some of the pre new threat 2.0 events/changes that people have seen in videos over the years are now secluded to Type B.

so if you want to play new threat with minimal changes, go with Type A. If you want all the crazy changes, go with Type B. Also note that there is a Combat Only variant of the mod that only keeps the new combat and the encounter balance changes, but it does not come with the revised script.

Joqu

Oct 25, 2017
The Waffle Kingdom
New Threat comes with two game types: Type A and Type B. Type A mostly follows the same scenes and encounters as the vanilla game. The main differences are:

1. a couple of new mandatory bosses (which are neat)
2. brand new endgame bosses (which are only activated when you reach the very end of the last dungeon in the game, making them easy to ignore if you only want to do the vanilla endgame)
3. spoiler: it lets you save aerith as an option. If you go down that route, aerith will be organically integrated into the game's story with new dialogue.

Type B goes buck wild and changes a ton of stuff. Some of the pre new threat 2.0 events/changes that people have seen in videos over the years are now secluded to Type B.

so if you want to play new threat with minimal changes, go with Type A. If you want all the crazy changes, go with Type B. Also note that there is a Combat Only variant of the mod that only keeps the new combat and the encounter balance changes, but it does not come with the revised script.

Aha, thanks for the thorough explanation. I do wish there was a version that only included the revised script for the sake of having even more flexibility, but it's at least nice that there are options. I guess I'll give it a go for my next playthrough.

CosmosXIII

Feb 15, 2022
This is kind of a loaded question if you don't mind answering, but how does one even get started doing mod work on these games? It just seems so impenetrable from the outside, especially compared to more PC native games that are more modding friendly from the get go.

Basically, to be able mod the game you need to reverse engineer (RE) the game data and code. The game data part has been worked on by a lot of people for decades now (some info can be found in the qhimm wiki: https://wiki.ffrtt.ru/index.php/FF7)
For the game code you need to use a decompiler to figure little by little the code flow and what functions do. Once you get there you can start patching functions by disabling some part of the code, replacing the value of variables or completely overwriting the functions to do something else.
Myself I'm not really good at this RE thing so I mostly rely on other members of the community that know how to do this better. I'm more of a graphics programmer so once they get me the data and functions I implement something new on top of that.

Do you have any video with analog movement? The video linked is using digital movement.

This is a gif I made some time ago
analogControls.gif

And this is the right analog camera controls (a little old before we had 60 fps and true widescreen but you get the point)
giphy.gif

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Basically, to be able mod the game you need to reverse engineer (RE) the game data and code. The game data part has been worked on by a lot of people for decades now (some info can be found in the qhimm wiki: https://wiki.ffrtt.ru/index.php/FF7)
For the game code you need to use a decompiler to figure little by little the code flow and what functions do. Once you get there you can start patching functions by disabling some part of the code, replacing the value of variables or completely overwriting the functions to do something else.
Myself I'm not really good at this RE thing so I mostly rely on other members of the community that know how to do this better. I'm more of a graphics programmer so once they get me the data and functions I implement something new on top of that.

This is a gif I made some time ago
analogControls.gif

And this is the right analog camera controls (a little old before we had 60 fps and true widescreen but you get the point)
giphy.gif
Wow, this looks amazing. I've also seem some people using the regular size characters on the exploration, but I think in this case I might even prefer the new chibi model, looks great.

What's the name of your mod?

I also noticed the character shadow mod. Do you know the name of that one?

Last edited:

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
ecchomo.jpg

FF7 modding - an illustration

Yeah I mean, it's cool this is an option, and that there are a ton of options out there, and I commend the effort put into these mods. It must have been one hell of a task to get all the voice lines recorded for example

But I last played OG FFVII on my Vita and the only thing I would wish to add is QoL features (faster loading, save states etc)

Edit: Actually analogue movement is a great addition as well

I should also note that I play older games on a CRT so I'm probably not who these mods are aimed at heh

Last edited:

CosmosXIII

Feb 15, 2022
Wow, this looks amazing. I've also seem some people using the regular size characters on the exploration, but I think in this case I might even prefer the new chibi model, looks great.

What's the name of your mod?

I also noticed the character shadow mod. Do you know the name of that one?

Yeah, I like the NinoStyle chibi models the best because they fit well with the background and animations.

The analog movement is integrated into FFNx (the driver that manages all the rendering and cool new features).
If you use 7thHeaven (the mod manager) it comes already with FFNx so no need to install separately. You only need to toggle the "Analogue Controls" in the Game Driver Settings in 7thHeaven.

0OGQz0Z.png

I also made the real-time lighting and shadow mod, it's called Cosmos Lighting (https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=20612.0)
But this one again is integrated into FFNx so just need to toggle the "Advanced Lighting" option.

EoigctL.png

Last edited:

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, I like the NinoStyle chibi models the best because they fit well with the background and animations.

The analog movement is integrated into FFNx (the driver that manages all the rendering and cool new features).
If you use 7thHeaven (the mod manager) it comes already with FFNx so no need to install separately. You only need to toggle the "Analogue Controls" in the Game Driver Settings in 7thHeaven.

0OGQz0Z.png

I also made the real-time lighting and shadow mod, it's called Cosmos Lighting (https://forums.qhimm.com/index.php?topic=20612.0)
But this one again is integrated into FFNx so just need to toggle the "Advanced Lighting" option.

EoigctL.png
Welp, I guess I know which JRPG I'm going to start next, haha.

Thanks a lot! For the info and the work done.

wallmeat

Oct 28, 2017

Thank you for the detailed response!

Fox1304

Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I mean, it's cool this is an option, and that there are a ton of options out there, and I commend the effort put into these mods. It must have been one hell of a task to get all the voice lines recorded for example

But I last played OG FFVII on my Vita and the only thing I would wish to add is QoL features (faster loading, save states etc)

Edit: Actually analogue movement is a great addition as well

I should also note that I play older games on a CRT so I'm probably not who these mods are aimed at heh
Yeah, it wasn't to diss on the effort of anything.
I'm clearly not the target here, as expect QOL and higher res backgrounds, there is nothing I'd wish. I think most of the charm of FF7 also lies in its limitations, wether it's the character models, the OST, or the clunkyness of it.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Thanks to this thread I successfully got that Satsuki mod installed. As far as I know it makes everything prettier and that's it but I'm ok with that because I wasn't sure how to do this mod with 7th Heaven lol

And holy shit the game look incredible now! This is what Square should have released and makes that re-release even more embarrassing

Reinhard

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone have any idea how to get an Xbox One / Series X controller connected via Bluetooth to work with FFNX? I installed SYW V5 to work with the Steam version of FF7 and I am getting all the enhanced graphics but my controller isn't working at all - it integrates FFNX, including the true analog movement mod. My controller works fine in other games and also the Steam version of FF7 as long as I connect the controller before launching FF7 Steam, but as soon as I launch SYW v5 version of FF7 the controller no longer works.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Could someone tell me which mods I need for widescreen, battle camera control and analog movement ? I'm browsing 7th Heaven and I can't figure out which ones to get. CosmosXIII maybe ? Thank you!

CosmosXIII

Feb 15, 2022
Could someone tell me which mods I need for widescreen, battle camera control and analog movement ? I'm browsing 7th Heaven and I can't figure out which ones to get. CosmosXIII maybe ? Thank you!

Widescreen and analog controls are integrated into FFNx (the driver that handles all the rendering and other cool features).
To enable these from 7th Heaven you just have to set the corresponding options in Settings > Game Driver...

For widescreen you have to set the Aspect Ratio option in the Graphics tab to Widescreen (16:9):

sMGzrB0.png

For the analog controls you need to toggle the Analogue Controls option in the Advanced tab:

0OGQz0Z.png

You did not ask for but you in case you want to use the new lighting system you would need to toggle the Advanced Lighting option in the Graphics tab:

EoigctL.png

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
7th Heaven makes the game feel like a remaster unto itself. It's pretty incredible, and you can pick and choose what you want. But yeah, I would not touch those voices, all respect for the team that put in the insane amounts of work needed for that, but it's not for me.

Zephy

Oct 27, 2017
Widescreen and analog controls are integrated into FFNx (the driver that handles all the rendering and other cool features).
To enable these from 7th Heaven you just have to set the corresponding options in Settings > Game Driver...

For widescreen you have to set the Aspect Ratio option in the Graphics tab to Widescreen (16:9):

sMGzrB0.png

For the analog controls you need to toggle the Analogue Controls option in the Advanced tab:

0OGQz0Z.png

You did not ask for but you in case you want to use the new lighting system you would need to toggle the Advanced Lighting option in the Graphics tab:

EoigctL.png

Thanks a lot! I browsed through the menus a bit but it didn't occur to me to check the "game driver" menu. Good thinking on the lighting, I also wanted that one and forgot to include it. I mostly installed HD backgrounds and textures and Ninotyle characters, I just want an HD version of the game I remember :)

CosmosXIII

Feb 15, 2022
Thanks a lot! I browsed through the menus a bit but it didn't occur to me to check the "game driver" menu. Good thinking on the lighting, I also wanted that one and forgot to include it. I mostly installed HD backgrounds and textures and Ninotyle characters, I just want an HD version of the game I remember :)
That sounds great. I also like it best fairly close to the original but improved. If you are using NinoStyle characters maybe you want to use my FMV mod that can replace the original chibi models by Ninostyle models in the FMVs too (you have to choose them from the mod options).
Here is the link to the previous thread we had here about this mod: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ff...he-character-models-in-the-cgi-videos.546578/

Also you may like the IFRIT mod for small tweaks to the UI but still stay close to it (this one also can make the battle UI better fit the widescreen mode)

Last edited: