Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Glad people are happy with changes, though I have to say I do feel underwhelmed personally. This new xpac was pitched as a chance to review and revamp for the next 10 years and jobs-wise they've done almost nothing new at all.

Still hoping their 'more multiplayer content' approach makes me stay longer than the end of the MSQ, but I suppose if not I'll still get my moneys worth.

Viper and Pict look fun at least

They actually stated that Jobs-wise, since it's approaching a nice milestone of level 100, they won't change much from previous expansions. So the non-change was expected. For above level 100, they're still deciding what to do about it.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
it was more that Astrodyne encouraged the 2 min Lightspeed opener spam so that you could get the buff up for the burst window. I don't mind Astrodyne much on its own but if that has to go for no more Lightspeed opener it can go in the trash without a second glance imo
Fwiw I've never been fond of the lightspeed opener either. Tbh I can't even say I bothered with it all the time especially in more casual content. I just really enjoyed the second regen aspect of it mostly and saw the buff as gravy a lot of the time. Provided it wasn't the kinda group that might complain I'd sometimes just bank it for emergencies. I wish they'd have at least kept it for that but I dunno how that would work anyway with the new card system

Geldboom

Oct 28, 2017
Quite like how most jobs look.
Viper and Pictomancer look great!

The only real disappointment is SMN, I knew we would never get Shiva, Ramuh and Leviathan this expac but getting another Bahamut that does the exact same thing as the original Bahamut (same color scheme/attack style) is genuinely baffling.
Could've added Odin, Alexander, or any other primal instead.

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, are you against the idea of rotations at all or are you wishing that they revamped said rotations for more classes more often than they do? If it's the former, I don't know what to tell you.
Like I dunno is the difference not kinda clear of what adding chainsaw brought to MCH gameplay vs paradox for BLM?

I'm not bothering to repeat myself from other places. If people are not willing to give some good faith reading and have the ability to think in nuance there is no point.
You got so hung up on a comparison that wasn't even a major part of my post, and turned it into an argument over nitpicking how you think it doesn't apply rather than discussing anything i wanted to talk about.

So let's drop the thing that wasn't the point, because it's going nowhere and isn't important to begin with.
No I tried to engage in good faith on the comparison before getting nitpicked on in the examples with a complete unwillingness to entertain the notion I was trying to communicate which at that point if you are that hardheaded about not understanding the point about how 7 years of pressing almost the same buttons is just kinda rote like what are we doing. Like clearly in your head you weren't willing to entertain the simple notion that job can get stale in a span of 7 years and are stuck up on the notion that simply adding 1 more button to the chain will change the game up in the same way as giving a new comboroute in a fighting game does.

Which I just have to point out as clearly false. The comparison doesn't work on any level. Doesn't help that you later admit you have no clue about MCH which do you even play any of the jobs that are entering the 7 year cycle of playing the same? Or are you yourself even entering the into that cycle of actually playing that long yourself. Like when you're this far removed from understanding concepts of how things can get stale it's just immensely bewildering.

Last edited:

Dakkon

Oct 27, 2017
papachin has done amazing work in regards to this

Papachin's stuff is really well made visually, but their problem is often the audio. They try to make everything "cool" and "intense" all the time and stuff which works in videos but doesn't work when you actually have to play the game and hear a move you're going to hit a ton sound meaty and loud thousands of times.

A really easy example of this for me (because it made me turn it off even though I paid for the mod) is is their Nero Gunbreaker mod. The 1-2-3 attack chain quickly gets agonizing to hear on repeat, and you do it a lot. Intensity and high impact stuff is good, but not every single move should be shooting for that.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not bothering to repeat myself from other places. If people are not willing to give some good faith reading and have the ability to think in nuance there is no point.

You getting some mild push-back against some pretty sweeping, and honestly mostly inaccurate assertions, doesn't suddenly mean that people aren't engaging you in good faith. Honestly if you came up from jump saying "I'm a MCH main," that would honestly make the most amount of sense based on how this discussion has gone so far. But the crux is that even when not counting BLM, this is not necessarily the experience of probably most of the other jobs in the game up to the present (and for the ones that have been the same, you don't hear much complaining or push-back against the actual rotation like with WAR or RDM).

Like, you're being weirdly hostile to Rutger who has been pretty civil during this conversation

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
You getting some mild push-back against some pretty sweeping, and honestly mostly inaccurate assertions, doesn't suddenly mean that people aren't engaging you in good faith. Honestly if you came up from jump saying "I'm a MCH main," that would honestly make the most amount of sense based on how this discussion has gone so far. But the crux is that even when not counting BLM, this is not necessarily the experience of probably most of the other jobs in the game up to the present (and for the ones that have been the same, you don't hear much complaining or push-back against the actual rotation like with WAR or RDM).

Like, you're being weirdly hostile to Rutger who has been pretty civil during this conversation
Nah I'm just annoyed by how bad faith people are being on some of the arguments like yourself.
Like please take a step back and think for a moment is it really in good faith and an actual logical thought to pretend I'm starting from a position that is against rotations in an MMO?
I mean, are you against the idea of rotations at all or are you wishing that they revamped said rotations for more classes more often than they do? If it's the former, I don't know what to tell you.
In my opinion that is a literal argument brainrot where you start from such a ridiculous place just to try to win the argument, it's devoid of any measure of actual respect or grace to give that the other side actually has a point. Like I dunno what you're expecting me to engage with there when that's the level of conversation you're trying to have. Like you say it yourself if that were the case you wouldn't know what to tell me and yeah I wouldn't know what to tell me either if I had that stance, because it's that level of stupid of a position to start on in an MMO discussion. Just to make it clear why I find it disrespectful and call it out as brainrot. Clearly the intention here is not actually thinking about what is being said but trying to pretend it's coming from a ridiculous place to discredit.

As for being hostile to Rutger just no. I got my comparison rejected because they didn't translate 1 to 1 to their pov despite trying to find a bridging comparison in good faith. So I don't see how me then rejecting the comparison they give on exactly the same basis is hostile.

Like to put in perspective what is being said is that adding +1 to the end sequence of a rotation every 2+ years for for multiple expansions that doesn't change the mental stack or any way you engage or view your rotation in an MMO is comparable to a fighting character getting a new combo route at whatever people are pretending is the patch cadence there. It's just a wrong comparison. *shrug*

So until they show me the fighting game where they press the exact same combo at the same time intervals for 7 years straight with the only mix up change to that character being + 1 extending combo move to the one they've been pressing I dunno what else I can say to make it clear that we're just not talking about the same type of monotony.

Last edited:

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
People that think xiv combo is getting in need to rewatch the LL because they never mentioned consolidating 1-2-3 , the change is being made to skills that already replaced a button, like inner chaos on fell cleave , to have the option to separate them.
It's literally the opposite of what you want.

Wait what? I thought its for all skills that enable use of another skill. So like SMN getting Fester stacks after Skill Drain (hope I didnt mess up skill names), so Fester would replace Skill Drain.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Only saw bits of the live letter. Any general info about jobs and the like? Are we still stuck with 2 minute burst?? We gonna be waiting till next expansion to fix job identity?

Oct 26, 2017
I'm happy with the Tank additions.

Warrior got some cool shit.

Paladin stuff was ok, the follow up after Blade of Truth looks less flashy than it though which is a bit weird.

Dark Knight Fray costs no gauge now and a new line AOE looks like.

Gunbreaker has Lionheart and a Continuation follow up that they can use in AOE situations now.

For Paladin and Dark Knight they got some upgrades so they aren't spamming Atonement x 3/ Bloodspiller x 3 now if I'm interpreting this right. At least the animations are different.

MechaX

Oct 27, 2017
Nah I'm just annoyed by how bad faith people are being on some of the arguments like yourself.
Like please take a step back and think for a moment is it really in good faith and an actual logical thought to pretend I'm starting from a position that is against rotations in an MMO?

In my opinion that is a literal argument brainrot where you start from such a ridiculous place just to try to win the argument, it's devoid of any measure of actual respect or grace to give that the other side actually has a point. Like I dunno what you're expecting me to engage with there when that's the level of conversation you're trying to have. Like you say it yourself if that were the case you wouldn't know what to tell me and yeah I wouldn't know what to tell me either if I had that stance, because it's that level of stupid of a position to start on in an MMO discussion. Just to make it clear why I find it disrespectful and call it out as brainrot. Clearly the intention here is not actually thinking about what is being said but trying to pretend it's coming from a ridiculous place to discredit.

Okay I'm going to need you to take a couple of steps back; coming at any of this with the thought that someone was "just trying to win the argument" is incredibly reductive. I view this less as an argument to be won because this is all talking about subjective experiences. I'm not going to convince you, and you're not going to convince me because we have had wildly differing experiences with these classes over the years.

For the purposes of engaging in conversation yeah, I posited both scenarios because honestly, I'm having issues seeing where exactly you're coming from (and I feel like Rubblatus best articulated the overall point of what I'm assuming to be your issues pretty well). But given that almost 90% of my post was discussing the other point and not the one you are focused on, I think that is pretty indicative of what side I think you're most likely on, no?

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder how monk is going to change.

Loved it before but the endwalker rework made me bounce off hard.

Ultron

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Wonder how monk is going to change.

Loved it before but the endwalker rework made me bounce off hard.

It looks like it's going to be pretty similar to how it is in Endwalker. The new gauge is a visual reminder of where you are in the overall combo rotation, so you can look at that instead of looking at the timers on the damage buff and the DOT on the enemy to know when to hit Demolish vs the other one and etc. It seems it might change the rotation a bit, but there isn't quite enough info quite yet, but the basis idea will be similar.

Screenshot_20240516_095117_Discord.png

Holundrian

Oct 25, 2017
Okay I'm going to need you to take a couple of steps back; coming at any of this with the thought that someone was "just trying to win the argument" is incredibly reductive. I view this less as an argument to be won because this is all talking about subjective experiences. I'm not going to convince you, and you're not going to convince me because we have had wildly differing experiences with these classes over the years.

For the purposes of engaging in conversation yeah, I posited both scenarios because honestly, I'm having issues seeing where exactly you're coming from (and I feel like Rubblatus best articulated the overall point of what I'm assuming to be your issues pretty well). But given that almost 90% of my post was discussing the other point and not the one you are focused on, I think that is pretty indicative of what side I think you're most likely on, no?
I mean sure I'm sorry if that was not your intention but I hope the origin of frustration is clear when you start with thinking my position is I'm possibly anti rotation. I don't need to rechew how that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to us both, I hope.

As for my point I was trying to illustrate what the actual level of monotony is that some jobs are moving into for a 7 year cycle.
In retrospect me giving grace and engaging in the whole "from a fighting game pov" was a mistake and just apparently created more confusion because people weren't willing to entertain the actual notion and getting lost in the nitty gritty of the examples, which when I do the same and get lost in the nitty gritty of how MMO rotations and combo adjustments are not equivalent in return in an attempt to make clear that it's not the same type of monotony that we have as the resulting end experience is somehow taken as hostile.

Rubblatus just went deeper on something I mentioned on the side illustrating the differences between MCH and BLM design over the years and how that played out in gameplay. It wasn't really what I was overall talking about and I only made that offhand comment about how the difference between MCH chainsaw and BLM paradox being clear or not cause other people were pretending that the only way to change up a job is deleting the job design and starting over which to me seems like a very extreme no nuance view of it and is definitely as frustrating to answer to as a lot of the other stuff.

MetalKhaos

Oct 31, 2017
Quite like how most jobs look.
Viper and Pictomancer look great!

The only real disappointment is SMN, I knew we would never get Shiva, Ramuh and Leviathan this expac but getting another Bahamut that does the exact same thing as the original Bahamut (same color scheme/attack style) is genuinely baffling.
Could've added Odin, Alexander, or any other primal instead.

Yeah, I feel like a reskinned Bahamut is not really exciting at all. I didn't expect too much this go around as they did a lot of rework in 6.0. And the new rotation is now what.. New Bah, Old Bah, New Bah, Pheo. Feels like they weren't sure what to even do with the job this time. I'll still keep to it, but I can't say I'm excited about the new stuff.

Eidan

AVALANCHE
Avenger
Oct 30, 2017
It looks like it's going to be pretty similar to how it is in Endwalker. The new gauge is a visual reminder of where you are in the overall combo rotation, so you can look at that instead of looking at the timers on the damage buff and the DOT on the enemy to know when to hit Demolish vs the other one and etc. It seems it might change the rotation a bit, but there isn't quite enough info quite yet, but the basis idea will be similar.

Screenshot_20240516_095117_Discord.png
Honestly as someone who has struggled to level Monk, I think this visual aide will help me a lot with wrapping my head around what I'm supposed to be doing.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017

As for being hostile to Rutger just no. I got my comparison rejected because they didn't translate 1 to 1 to their pov despite trying to find a bridging comparison in good faith. So I don't see how me then rejecting the comparison they give on exactly the same basis is hostile.

Like to put in perspective what is being said is that adding +1 to the end sequence of a rotation every 2+ years for for multiple expansions that doesn't change the mental stack or any way you engage or view your rotation in an MMO is comparable to a fighting character getting a new combo route at whatever people are pretending is the patch cadence there. It's just a wrong comparison. *shrug*

So until they show me the fighting game where they press the exact same combo at the same time intervals for 7 years straight with the only mix up change to that character being + 1 extending combo move to the one they've been pressing I dunno what else I can say to make it clear that we're just not talking about the same type of monotony.

Look, you've misunderstood me and I tried to course correct in poor ways. I don't really care that much about what combos or blockstrings I press beyond how they work, so honestly when you equated rotations I was confused and tried to explain my thoughts from that angle. I don't think that was bad faith at all. I made that comparison focusing more on playstyle and also the many fighting games that have long since stopped getting updated but I'll gladly return to because I like how it/my characters play and I don't need them to be changed to keep my interest.

I didn't think your first post was framed as only talking about MCH because you said "things like", so I responded thinking about the jobs I am familiar with.

other people were pretending that the only way to change up a job is deleting the job design and starting over which to me seems like a very extreme no nuance view of it and is definitely as frustrating to answer to as a lot of the other stuff.

Well there's your problem.
I mentioned in my first post at the start of this that I do think there are aspects that can be improved on and things that can be added to jobs. It's not like I'm against changes that can be more meaningful. So when you ignored all that to fight over a comparison that barely even mattered to what I was saying, can you blame me for not knowing what you even wanted?

samcastor

Apr 21, 2021
Glad people are happy with changes, though I have to say I do feel underwhelmed personally. This new xpac was pitched as a chance to review and revamp for the next 10 years and jobs-wise they've done almost nothing new at all.

Still hoping their 'more multiplayer content' approach makes me stay longer than the end of the MSQ, but I suppose if not I'll still get my moneys worth.

Viper and Pict look fun at least
Honestly, no matter what most of the meat of the battle stuff is going to be in the content for every veteran player rather than the job kits, no matter how radically different they make them. People will say we have been doing the same thing after 2-3 years even if they changed every single spell for each job. They did not really talk about the content side of things in the LL, but that has always been the much bigger piece of how the battle content feels in an expansion than the job kits.

Not saying they should not revamp stuff, and it seems like they are maybe thinking of something for the level above 100 already, but I think just looking at the job changes is not full picture of the actual changes for battle content.

InfiniDragon

Oct 25, 2017
They literally show both Viper and Pictomancer with 1-2-3 combos on a single button, changing to the next part as needed.

As cool as it would be for folks who want that option, pretty sure those are specific moves designed to do that like Gnashing Fang on GNB, rather than a universal change everyone has access to, at least based on the data we have so far.

Dalik

Nov 1, 2017
Viper doesn't even have a real 1-2-3 anyway, they are are conditional tree branches-paths.