Soralight8

Oct 25, 2017
evo is done and tainted as brand there no coming back now even if they fire that guy no one will want to associate with that brand anymore

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
I mean thats on people if they confuse his own twitter with the actual Evo twitter

For Evo having Mr Wiz admit that shit so quickly is probably the best case scenario. No weird drawn out investigation making people wonder what the hell will happen. Its now a straight forward situation where they should get to removing him from Evo immediately

Whether people are confused about if the admission of guilt came frm Mr. Wiz or Evo the company is of little consequence to these sponsors and game companies. If the overall perception is that Evo, the tournament itself, is responsible for all of this, then companies aren't going to want to touch it.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
EVO 2020 Current Status:

tumblr_n8n195G4BY1r7t164o1_1280.0.jpg

If you had posted this 4 days ago I would have laughed at you

What a ride this has been

Jun 13, 2020
"I'm gonna own up to my mistakes and try to improve" right after saying that he "never intended to hurt anyone". He still tried to justify his behaviour in his supposed "apology". Fuck him.

Deleted member 6056

Oct 25, 2017
Wow. That's a huuuge but of news there. Hope the victims all come forward.

That kills EVO for life. It had gotten progressively worse each year and folks were ready to move on in many communities so after this it's done because capcom was its calling card. It looks in my opinion like Jebailey will probably be your man with his CEO tourney as the defacto world championship tournament organizer for every game each year after this.

Codeblue

Oct 25, 2017
I'd be pretty shocked if Wiz did the right thing and just walked away from Evo. He's remained the face of the tournament despite being almost universally disliked. I can easily see him dragging Evo to the grave, which is where it belongs as long as he has any part of it, publicly or not.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Evo is done and tainted as brand there no coming back now even if they fire that guy no one will want to associate with that brand anymore

No, it's not about literally confusing the two.

But the imagery is bad. It's a very bad look. The brand may very literally be dead.

Wow. That's a huuuge but of news there. Hope the victims all come forward.

That kills EVO for life. It had gotten progressively worse each year and folks were ready to move on in many communities so after this it's done because capcom was its calling card. It looks in my opinion like Jebailey will probably be your man with his CEO tourney as the defacto world championship tournament organizer for every game each year after this.

Yeah, there's no way EVO can be salvaged at this point. It'll be very hard to.

They're going to have to eventually re-brand it entirely by having someone like Jebailey take over, & do background checks on everyone.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017

Yeah I'm sure he totally matured since then. If anything, as his influence and power has grown he probably doubled down on these kind of shit. Is it hyperbole from me? Possibly, especially how I lack proofs but I doubt the guy woke up one day and said "gee, maybe I should NOT do this anymore"

And i'm fairly sure there's a clip where watson said wiz once asked someone to do naked jumping jacks for evo tickets so..

EVO Online cancelled; Wiz to be separated from brand; Tony Cannon as new CEO

Rynam

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

Typed the Picture Tweet out for people that cant see/read (picture)tweets:
Over the past 24 hours, in response to serious allegation recently made public on Twitter, we have made the first of a series of important decisions regarding the future of our company. Effective Immediately, Joey Cuellar will no longer be involved with Evo in any capacity. We are currently working towards his complete separation from the company and have relieved him of all his responsibilities.

Going forwards, Tony Cannon will act as CEO; in this position, he will take a leadership role in prioritizing greater accountability across Evo, bot internally and at our events.

Progress doesn't happen overnight, or without the bravery of those who speak up against misconduct and injustice. We are shocked and saddened by these events, but we are listening and commited to making every change that will be necessary in making Evo a better model for the stronger, safer culture we all seek. As a result we will be canceling Evo Online and will work to issue refunds for all players who chose to purchase a badge. We will donate the equivalent of the proceeds as promised to Project HOPE.

Last edited:

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So that just leaves Skullgirls and Killer Instinct to drop. These last 1-3 days have really been something

edit: Nevermind, didn't read the last part of the statement from EVO

mugwhump

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
so uuhhh
about those "Core Values"...

It looks in my opinion like Jebailey will probably be your man with his CEO tourney as the defacto world championship tournament organizer for every game each year after this.
Meh, CEO hasn't been TO'd very well either. Combo Breaker is where it's at.

SpeedyBlueDude

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Nov 17, 2017
Provo, Utah
Like how they act like canceling the event is THEIR decision and not one made out of force because EVERY Open Tournament has their Publisher's condone the event and cancel.

Nah. Fuck EVO. Wiz probably got a nice paycheck in exchange for being removed from the company. Burn the company to the ground. Or at the bare minimum, rebrand.

Temperance

"This guy are sick"
Oct 25, 2017
[NO 2FA]
"We are shocked and saddened by these events" @ EVO

Are they really though? Shit appears to have been an open secret for who know how long and they try to act like they didn't know. Someone above also notes that this topic was being deliberately silenced.

Oct 25, 2017
Miami, FL
"We are shocked and saddened by these events" @ EVO

Are they really though? Shit appears to have been an open secret for who know how long and they try to act like they didn't know. Someone above also notes that this topic was being deliberately silenced.
agreed. they need an independent investigation by an external team, as I have a strong suspicion that everyone at the top has to be replaced due to proximity and complicity. I refuse to accept that they didn't know and it reminds me of those who aid and abet abusive Catholic priests. Which may just mean EVO is done as a brand and needs to be replaced by some other brand and event.

And again I'd like to say: FUCK Viscant and everyone else in that "boys club" who knew what was going on and treated it like it was a funny joke.

OP
OP
The Turbanator
Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad the brand and company could be salvaged and Wiz at least had enough basic decency to not let it die with him (if it was his choice at all in the first place, IDK how power dynamics work for companies without a board of directors). The tournament should be in good hands with the Cannons, but they've always had "passive authority" since the inception of EVO, so I can only hope they were as out of the loop as we were on this.

For those claiming the brand is now tainted and EVO can't continue anymore, I believe a "new and improved" EVO 2021 (or even rename it if need be) that promises to listen to community feedback and takes seriously the openness and acceptance of the scene (which means moderating or at least taking responsibility for the after-parties that have attracted so many complaints) would be a great way to reinvent the brand and give newcomers and old guard alike hope.

Cordy

Oct 25, 2017
People actually think the FGC will die without EVO? The hell? Yall must not know the FGC.

What this will do is make another thing rise up. Wizard, all those Smash players, whoever, get the bad ones out. It'll rebuild. The quicker they're out the better. I don't even care about EVO, we gotta get these predators outta here.

CanUKlehead

Oct 30, 2017
People actually think the FGC will die without EVO? The hell? Yall must not know the FGC.

What this will do is make another thing rise up. Wizard, all those Smash players, whoever, get the bad ones out. It'll rebuild. The quicker they're out the better. I don't even care about EVO, we gotta get these predators outta here.
Agreed. The FGC is bigger than just Evo. Sad that this thing got corrupted. I suppose the bad joke is we need a Revo, but really, they need an "old place" to Era-type transition.