• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Aston just makes so much sense for Newey.

Brand spanking new facilities, still with Honda, back with Dan Fallows, still in the UK...

and best of all corrects one of his great regrets - gets to work with Fernando Alonso.

Jetpaction

Jun 2, 2019
The Netherlands
Aston seems like the most obvious choice for Newey. Honda, Stroll's wallet, state of the art facilities, his involvement with the Aston hypercar. I wonder if Max is going to follow him.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
Slightly worried that we'll only get a "yep he's leaving" confirmation and won't know where he's actually going until the end of the season or whatever.

Jetpaction

Jun 2, 2019
The Netherlands
On the other hand, maybe Newey is done with F1. He's 65 and had that head injury accident a few years ago. I'm not sure how fit he is to have another go at it at another team. I am also reading that Pierre Wache at RBR is considered equally as important as Newey these days. So maybe nothing changes.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
On the other hand, maybe Newey is done with F1. He's 65 and had that head injury accident a few years ago. I'm not sure how fit he is to have another go at it at another team. I am also reading that Pierre Wache at RBR is considered equally as important as Newey these days. So maybe nothing changes.

This isn't a new thing. Insiders have said for the last 2 years that Wache and Balbo have had a lot more influence on the car for its iterations since the initial RB19 concept. RBR will still be fine after this.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Newey has 12 WCCs, beaten only by Ferrari (who have 16). He's probably still very good. What's also incredibly important, if not more so, is the clout he gives any team in recruiting the newest/best people.

You need a big team of very very talented people and you can't get that "just" from offering money, because of the budget cap. You need figure head people and headline grabbers to convince the paddock that you are the BEST place to work and the one most likely to win.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Imagine he's leaving to head up Andretti and have a good few years getting everything set up.

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow Newey is actually out. Guess it's best to wait for the dust to clear. Part of me wonders if he has have one eye towards retirement however that manifests. Poaching, training, creating a new team is a time sink. More importantly seeing ROI is going to take time.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I wonder how much Horner's recent issues, and all the management fighting that ensued after, had to do with Newey leaving. As in, if Horner hadn't done anything, would he still be there?

Bungie

Oct 31, 2017
I wonder how much Horner's recent issues, and all the management fighting that ensued after, had to do with Newey leaving. As in, if Horner hadn't done anything, would he still be there?

BBC: Newey to leave Red Bull over Horner allegations

www.bbc.co.uk

Adrian Newey: Red Bull design chief to leave over Christian Horner allegations

Red Bull design chief Adrian Newey is to leave the team in the wake of the controversy involving allegations about team principal Christian Horner.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I'm guessing the major UK ops are all quite close to each other? I'm wondering if a new position would also mean uprooting family, etc., or maybe just a short difference in commute time.

calder

Oct 25, 2017
Gardening leave remains pretty stupid. Although, I will say that compared to other people in the industry you'd think Newey would have a 50 year leave if random middle technical manager gets a year and a half.

Viken

Teyvat Traveler
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Really interested as to where he's going. Super surprised he's leaving.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I'm guessing the major UK ops are all quite close to each other? I'm wondering if a new position would also mean uprooting family, etc., or maybe just a short difference in commute time.

Bit out of date, but...
_68401533_f1_uk_map_3.jpg

I can't imagine much upheaval, basically, unless he goes to Ferrari.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Newey has a place in South Africa. I'm not sure if geographical concerns are a thing anymore.

Having a place in another country for visiting family (his in-laws are South African) is very different from uprooting your daily life at 65 and moving to Italy. He's always had reservations about doing that in the past when he was younger, I'm not sure what would have changed to make him change his mind.

The Aston linkage just makes a lot more sense. Brand new facilities, he wouldn't have to move anywhere, he gets to continue work on the Valkyrie project, and Lawrence will give him a blank check.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Having a place in another country for visiting family (his in-laws are South African) is very different from uprooting your daily life at 65 and moving to Italy. He's always had reservations about doing that in the past when he was younger, I'm not sure what would have changed to make him change his mind.

The Aston linkage just makes a lot more sense. Brand new facilities, he wouldn't have to move anywhere, he gets to continue work on the Valkyrie project, and Lawrence will give him a blank check.
His first marriage ended after he went to the US to do Indy, they had 2 kids, then he remarried in 92 and had 2 more. I believe the youngest of them is now mid 20s. If anything would have changed his mind in that respect it's that they are all grown up.

OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
www.racefans.net

F1 Commission defers decision on points change and approves new rear cameras

The FIA's F1 Commission will decide whether to approve a proposal to extend the sport's points system down to 12th place in July.
Rear camera to be added to crash structure and points changes to be looked at more.

www.racefans.net

Formula E unveils 200mph, 4WD Gen3 Evo, boasting 0-60 time 30% quicker than F1

Formula E have unveiled their fastest ever car, the Gen3 Evo, which will be introduced into the all-electric series next season.
FE unveiled the new car

crespo

Oct 27, 2017
www.racefans.net

F1 Commission defers decision on points change and approves new rear cameras

The FIA's F1 Commission will decide whether to approve a proposal to extend the sport's points system down to 12th place in July.
Rear camera to be added to crash structure and points changes to be looked at more.

www.racefans.net

Formula E unveils 200mph, 4WD Gen3 Evo, boasting 0-60 time 30% quicker than F1

Formula E have unveiled their fastest ever car, the Gen3 Evo, which will be introduced into the all-electric series next season.
FE unveiled the new car
Those FEs actually look kinda fun

Turn 1s are going to be nuts

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
I saw a earlier version of that FE car at ExCel London when I was there for a conference in January. Very pointy. Agree that the acceleration should make race starts interesting.