• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 28, 2017
Personally I don't think he'll go unless it's something really, really bad. I think at most there'll be a public mea culpa and a statement from the board about how lessons have been learnt.

As irritating as he can be he's incredibly instrumental in the success of RB and keeping the likes of Newey and Verstappen sweet and I'm sure the team are well aware of that.

Newey have already said he'll stay even if Horner goes. Max seems fine with it as well. I think people forget that Horner tried to push Marko out last year and Max is deep in Marko's camp.

Vic_Viper

Thanked By SGM
Oct 25, 2017
Once those texts leak hes done. They are risking losing Ford already and im sure some sponsors will also be pretty pissed as well.

Phamit

Oct 26, 2017
My guess is that the 100 pages probably includes the Transkripts from the hearings and what else is mentioned. Horners hearing alone was 8 hours or something? So it's likely mostly transcripts and screenshots of messages.

Because the length is insane if that's not the case.

SP.

Oct 27, 2017
Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf claimed the grievance filed by the woman extended beyond controlling behaviour and contained an allegation of sexual misconduct, based on messages allegedly sent by Horner.

Sources have since suggested that no such evidence was submitted in the complaint itself.

I can't wait for all this to be over with.

Raceweek 1 Bahrain
OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
FIA F1 2024 |OT| No Lewis, no, no, no! That was so not right! - Raceweek 1 Bahrain - 29 Feb - 02 Mar #PleaseBeExcited

It's Raceweek 1 in Bahrain. Info stolen from https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2024/Bahrain.html
max-verstappen-red-bull-racing-1.webp

Bahrain_Circuit.png

Lap Record - 1:31:447 Pedro del la Rosa (2005)
2023 pole - Max Verstappen
2022 pole - Charles Leclerc
2021 pole - Max Verstappen

Last race classification
i381zdzvayla1.jpg

Last Race

Top 5 moments

When
Practice 1 -
Countdown Feb 29, 2024 at 6:30 AM

Practise 2 -
Countdown Feb 29, 2024 at 10:00 AM

Practise 3 -
Countdown Mar 1, 2024 at 7:30 AM

Qualifying -
Countdown Mar 1, 2024 at 11:00 AM

Race -
Countdown Mar 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM

Listen

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0O7zNLi0sCanfdHEavwyek?si=6273a734335040ad

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/2dXGoj6zntypGXnaIdTdDX?si=08671bfe06f94142

Last edited:
OP
OP
DBT85

DBT85

Resident Thread Mechanic
Oct 26, 2017
Few points of note

Please all remember the spoiler rules for Non F1 related motorsport. They are in the OP.
Any suggestions for additions to the race OPs like other podcasts to put in are welcome but I promise nothing.

rckvla

Oct 25, 2017
FIA F1 2024 |OT| No Lewis, no, no, no! That was so not right! - Raceweek 1 Bahrain - 29 Feb - 02 Mar #PleaseBeExcited

It's Raceweek 1 in Bahrain. Info stolen from https://www.formula1.com/en/racing/2024/Bahrain.html
max-verstappen-red-bull-racing-1.webp

Bahrain_Circuit.png

Lap Record - 1:31:447 Pedro del la Rosa (2005)
2023 pole - Max Verstappen
2022 pole - Charles Leclerc
2021 pole - Max Verstappen

Last race classification
i381zdzvayla1.jpg

Last Race

Top 5 moments

When
Practice 1 -
Countdown Feb 29, 2024 at 6:30 AM

Practise 2 -
Countdown Feb 29, 2024 at 10:00 AM

Practise 3 -
Countdown Mar 1, 2024 at 7:30 AM

Qualifying -
Countdown Mar 1, 2024 at 11:00 AM

Race -
Countdown Mar 2, 2024 at 10:00 AM

Listen

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/0O7zNLi0sCanfdHEavwyek?si=6273a734335040ad

View: https://open.spotify.com/episode/2dXGoj6zntypGXnaIdTdDX?si=08671bfe06f94142

This video might help out new comers:

View: https://youtu.be/kTQ0GDD9_no?si=VZ6UNFY5rARZkPK5

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
On episode 2 of the new DTS season and ugh, its good tv but so blatantly inaccurate for the sake of building a narrative that it becomes hard to watch.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Since the title battle is over before it even started, I'll just root for Williams to come even stronger and closer to midfield this year.
And keep hoping McLaren can get some wins.
I also expect Ferrari to win a few races.

XaviConcept

Art Director for Videogames
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
What part was it? The way de Vries got out or?

Completely ignoring Daniel won a race with McLaren, painting him as a total failure

Pretending a 3rd driver doesnt drive at all when in reality theyre racing all the time in the sim and other places. Proven by the massive sore spots on his shoulders and chest prior to his RB test

Pretending Daniel is in an awkward spot doing media work when hes probably the most suited member in the entire paddock to do that and clearly loves it

Trying to make Horner a likable human being

That and the very scripted candid conversations over bocce ball and whatnot were specially cringe

Nov 2, 2017
Drive to Survive this season is ridiculous with the obviously staged scenes and the fake narrative building.

They have a problem with qualifying because it's clear they don't want to have to explain the actual qualifying system, and so they're doing creative editing to avoid having to explain it. This leads to things like ludicrously edited radio messages where a driver asking for Q3 status is being told things like "<driver> didn't make the top 10", a radio message that would never be sent in Q3 since they'd know that before taking the track. It just sticks out like a sore thumb and makes you notice how the very creative editing of team radio is just one more of their tools for constructing narrative.

The entire Mercedes episode is ludicrous. The entire scene with Toto and Susie taking their son karting is ridiculous and you can tell that the inclusion of this is literally to have sent this kid out with the bad engine so Toto can stop and provide the good car as an analog to the fact that Mercedes' car is shit and they're desperate to improve it. The conversation Toto and Susie have about Mercedes is ludicrously on the nose, and then if the whole thing wasn't evident enough, they include the bit where Toto outright just asks Susie to grab him around the shoulders like she's consoling him, they do it for a beat and then start laughing about it! This is just pure lampshading, making fun of how fabricated this is in the middle of something very fabricated.
Speaking of completely fabricated things, that final Toto/Lewis sit-down is astounding. There's no reason they didn't just shoot that once with both of them, but also, because of camera angles, the entire scene does look like it could be composited out of both Toto and Hamilton in that office by themselves! There's giant blurs in shots! It has the feel of like a Vin Diesel/The Rock thing where they've both demanded a specific camera angle and shooting both of those specified angles at once left the production with some very odd shots and the perception that if weren't for the one shot of Lewis entering the room there would be no video evidence they were in the same space at all.
How the hell do you do Sainz's win in Singapore and try to make the story "Sainz is able to pull it out after the team coheres and Leclerc sacrifices his race"? The thing that saves Sainz's race is the entire strategy of intentionally feeding Lando DRS, a thing that the radio messages make very clear that Sainz was operating himself without direction from the team! It's clear they're trying to pick footage from the race where you can't tell Norris is in there with Sainz and Russell. They have to leave an incredible story out because it contradicts the larger narrative they want to apply, and it's awful.
And then there's the Liam Lawson stuff. They 100% try to sell that they're talking to Lawson before he fills in at all, but that's simply not true, he was at the Dutch GP where Ricciardo broke his hand and he filled in immediately. But it's clear that they'd rather heighten the drama by leaving out the actual details in order to make it look like Lawson pulled out points in his first race. There's no need to manufacture a narrative, you have a good one still, it's not made worse by noting that he's been driving for 2 races and having some trouble.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017
Completely ignoring Daniel won a race with McLaren, painting him as a total failure

Pretending a 3rd driver doesnt drive at all when in reality theyre racing all the time in the sim and other places. Proven by the massive sore spots on his shoulders and chest prior to his RB test

Pretending Daniel is in an awkward spot doing media work when hes probably the most suited member in the entire paddock to do that and clearly loves it

Trying to make Horner a likable human being

That and the very scripted candid conversations over bocce ball and whatnot were specially cringe

Come on. Daniel's second season at McLaren was a total failure. He lost all confidence and was one of the worst on the grid week to week. Slow and full of mistakes. He was so bad McLaren payed millions to get rid of him. That is not Netflix inventing anything.

Ric himself has said it was awkward for him to do media work because he quickly realised that what he wanted to do was be racing. This was said in interviews last year and even in the episode. That is not to say he was bad at the media work (I don't see how Netflix was implying that either), but it was for hard him to see all the others race while he was on the sidelines.

With Horner I feel more like they have been setting him up as a new form of posh English aristocrat for years, not really likeable, more out of touch. And in earlier seasons he was clearly the closest thing the series had to a villian (and loving it), so I can't agree that DTS is painting a particular positive image of him.

Drive to Survive this season is ridiculous with the obviously staged scenes and the fake narrative building.

They have a problem with qualifying because it's clear they don't want to have to explain the actual qualifying system, and so they're doing creative editing to avoid having to explain it. This leads to things like ludicrously edited radio messages where a driver asking for Q3 status is being told things like "<driver> didn't make the top 10", a radio message that would never be sent in Q3 since they'd know that before taking the track. It just sticks out like a sore thumb and makes you notice how the very creative editing of team radio is just one more of their tools for constructing narrative.

The entire Mercedes episode is ludicrous. The entire scene with Toto and Susie taking their son karting is ridiculous and you can tell that the inclusion of this is literally to have sent this kid out with the bad engine so Toto can stop and provide the good car as an analog to the fact that Mercedes' car is shit and they're desperate to improve it. The conversation Toto and Susie have about Mercedes is ludicrously on the nose, and then if the whole thing wasn't evident enough, they include the bit where Toto outright just asks Susie to grab him around the shoulders like she's consoling him, they do it for a beat and then start laughing about it! This is just pure lampshading, making fun of how fabricated this is in the middle of something very fabricated.

Speaking of completely fabricated things, that final Toto/Lewis sit-down is astounding. There's no reason they didn't just shoot that once with both of them, but also, because of camera angles, the entire scene does look like it could be composited out of both Toto and Hamilton in that office by themselves! There's giant blurs in shots! It has the feel of like a Vin Diesel/The Rock thing where they've both demanded a specific camera angle and shooting both of those specified angles at once left the production with some very odd shots and the perception that if weren't for the one shot of Lewis entering the room there would be no video evidence they were in the same space at all.

How the hell do you do Sainz's win in Singapore and try to make the story "Sainz is able to pull it out after the team coheres and Leclerc sacrifices his race"? The thing that saves Sainz's race is the entire strategy of intentionally feeding Lando DRS, a thing that the radio messages make very clear that Sainz was operating himself without direction from the team! It's clear they're trying to pick footage from the race where you can't tell Norris is in there with Sainz and Russell. They have to leave an incredible story out because it contradicts the larger narrative they want to apply, and it's awful.

And then there's the Liam Lawson stuff. They 100% try to sell that they're talking to Lawson before he fills in at all, but that's simply not true, he was at the Dutch GP where Ricciardo broke his hand and he filled in immediately. But it's clear that they'd rather heighten the drama by leaving out the actual details in order to make it look like Lawson pulled out points in his first race. There's no need to manufacture a narrative, you have a good one still, it's not made worse by noting that he's been driving for 2 races and having some trouble.

DTS creating their own commentary over race footage is something I feel you just need to accept if want to watch it. They have been doing it since season 1 and it's not exactly a secret.

It is clearly done to make it easier to understand for viewers and create a cohesive narrative with the storyline of the particular episode.

Is it fake? Sure (and sometimes a little ridiculous), but I understand why they do it. DTS shouldn't, IMO at least, spend too much time on the actual races. I have already seen those, so I don't need to see them again and I'm fine with them doing their own super cut that fits with the story they are telling. It doesn't need to tell the whole story of a race and things would undoubtedly take longer if they didn't create their own commentary. The important parts for me is the behind the scenes footage and interviews.

I'm not saying DTS is always perfect. I think episode 9 is a good example of where they are doing a little too much in the editing room to make a better story with the footage they have. Like setting it up like Yuki and Ric wasn't annonced as the AT drivers before Suzuka and the race was going to be the deciding factor, when they were actually annonced on Saturday. Overall though, if you are looking at every scene through the lens of trying to find something fake about it, then it is probably not for you.

Last edited:

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
I feel like if Horner goes then Danny Riccardo's chance at the Red Bull seat next year is gone as well as it seems like he's Danny's number 1 fan and the one pushing hardest for it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Perez and sainz will take each other off in every race through pressure to show their value

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Page 1 introduction and scope of enquiry
Page 2 summary of investigations undertaken and evidence presented
Page 3-5 exec summary*
Pages 6 to 15 details of facts established about the case, excerpts of text messages etc
Pages 15 to 25, summary of relevant employee legislation and analysis of facts against those

Pages 25 to 30, conclusions and recommendations.

PAges 30 to 100+ evidence considered with transcripts of interviews etc.

My punt, based on nothing at all:-

he sent some mean texts...but he didn't really mean it, it's just his management style. No laws broken, so no basis to formally sack him or ask for his resignation.

some recommendations for better HR and whistle blowing avenues at red bull racing.

report is leaked, in full or in part, media storm criticising him and saying he should resign.

he doesn't resign - he's just too self-centred/driven/obsessed

it blows over after a few weeks as he stubbornly holds on

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
Would probably go from Ric is certain to get the seat unless he is dog shit, to the best driver in the Arby's is going to get the seat.
I think Horner wants Ric so bad because he is just really good marketing material so would give him the seat as long as he was just good enough, not necessarily the fastest option available. Ric is happy to do the shows and all the other fluff and he's good at it. Max is always awkward in those situations and it's obvious he hates doing it.

Terbinator

Oct 29, 2017
Verstappen for prizes, Riccicardo for Vibeses.

Seeing some Merc suspension and wishbone hopium on the Twitter timeline 😂

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Page 1 introduction and scope of enquiry
Page 2 summary of investigations undertaken and evidence presented
Page 3-5 exec summary*
Pages 6 to 15 details of facts established about the case, excerpts of text messages etc
Pages 15 to 25, summary of relevant employee legislation and analysis of facts against those

Pages 25 to 30, conclusions and recommendations.

PAges 30 to 100+ evidence considered with transcripts of interviews etc.

My punt, based on nothing at all:-

he sent some mean texts...but he didn't really mean it, it's just his management style. No laws broken, so no basis to formally sack him or ask for his resignation.

some recommendations for better HR and whistle blowing avenues at red bull racing.

report is leaked, in full or in part, media storm criticising him and saying he should resign.

he doesn't resign - he's just too self-centred/driven/obsessed

it blows over after a few weeks as he stubbornly holds on

Page 4 - what I did on holiday

Jisgsaw

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, while I get and dont mind the narrative issue too much, even if they suck (you do have to edit everything into cohesive 8-10 episodes), the fake scenes are absolutely horrendous, outside Günther and Mattia. They could really do withiut them.

[insert name here] and Verstappen will not get along.
I was gonna say that's not true, but yeah hard to see who could survive that pairing.

Better question would be who is the least suited for the pairing.
I'm going with Ocon.

Brot

Oct 25, 2017
the edge
[insert name here] and Verstappen will not get along.
Give Russell the seat.

Faultless logic except Perez.
He's Perez. Out of the jaws of victory runner up he is able to pull outright defeat.

I'm not saying he'll be able to challenge Max for the championship, but he had a great start last season and I'm hoping we'll see a similar performance at the start of this one before he goes full Bottas again.

Danielsan

Oct 26, 2017
The Netherlands
Give Russell the seat.

I'm not saying he'll be able to challenge Max for the championship, but he had a great start last season and I'm hoping we'll see a similar performance at the start of this one before he goes full Bottas again.
Maybe he'll win a few of the first few races when Max gets punted off or has a mechanical gremlin. Then he'll get beaten for the win by Max starting from 10th again, and the cycle continues.

The real question is, how long do we give Perez until he shows the world the new RBR floor again?

Coyote Starrk

The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Dozed off a little while ago while watching P1 with Matt and Tommy. Legitimately had a dream that Merc, Ferrari, and Max were in a 3 way chase heading into the summer break.

If this comes to pass then I demand that you all worship me as an oracle and buy my latest self-help book that I have yet to write.

bremen

Sep 22, 2020
Maybe he'll win a few of the first few races when Max gets punted off or has a mechanical gremlin. Then he'll get beaten for the win by Max starting from 10th again, and the cycle continues.

The real question is, how long do we give Perez until he shows the world the new RBR floor again?
Monaco.

Irrotational

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Page 4 - what I did on holiday
Lol!! would love to know where they went and what they did :-)
Better question would be who is the least suited for the pairing.
I'm going with Ocon.

Yeah definitely Ocon. I would LOVE to see Alonso go in there as I think he would have the mental strength to ignore Vertsappen and also be able to mess with his head a bit.

Give Russell the seat.
I mean...if you want him to quit the sport.. listening to his in car radio as he lawyerly explains how/why verstappen should get a penalty for driving him off the road would be interesting though.

RB says you shouldn't stop RB selling parts to RB.

The sooner someone does something about a single company outright owning two teams the better.

Cannot agree more with this - the RB/RB situation has been ridiculous forever and was only allowed as a sticking plaster to combat low grid entries. A forced sale to Andretti would be the best outcome.

If the teams can argue away Ferrari's old special payment then they can argue their way out of this.

Sec0nd

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I think DTS is not for me anymore. Loved the first couple of seasons for the behind the scenes looks and the glorious 4K imagery. And even though I don't think it's particularly bad, it's just getting boring. They are just pulling the same storylines and the same tricks they do each and every season.

I'm fine with the creative license they take to spice everything up. But after the 20th time of 'Are you okay?'....silence.... 'Are you okay??' after a crash I just don't care anymore.

Skydog

Oct 27, 2017
Every time there's a new season of dts I think about finally giving it a shot but then the impressions start coming in I just think nah I'm good

Oct 30, 2017
Ottawa
The sooner someone does something about a single company outright owning two teams the better.

They saved the team from almost definite collapse and sunk hundreds of millions into the team when F1 wasn't as commercially enticing as it is now.

I don't understand why people think they should be forced to sell the team. Yes, I get that you don't like that Red Bull own two teams, but without them, the team formerly known as Minardi wouldn't be around today.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
I unashamedly love DTS. It gets me hyped up for the incoming season every time. Plus I can barely remember what happened last season lol, a weird habit of mine when it comes to sports.