• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
This is one of the instances where being a closed platform should matter. I mean, Nintendo shouldn't allow for a game like this to be published as a $50 standalone release.

Make it a paid DLC update at most.

I mean, Nintendo published a turd called Devil's Third at full price and even ARK was approved lol

If both these games were allowed to be released, FIFA 20 has every right to be released on Nintendo Switch as well

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
konami should REALLY take advantage the current situation imo. even a mediocre port of a PES game from a few years ago will be better received than fifa 19 with a new cover.

sooo basically that metascore is just as useless as the userscore because it's literally the same game as last year, only that reviewers review-bombed it from 71 to 44 aggregate, lol
you can't release the same game as last year under a new title and expect the same scores. you're fooling some people into paying for a game they already have, and putting out a pointless product. they deserve much lower scores.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
I would assume the low user scores on xbox and ps4 are at least partly down to the bug affecting multiple accounts under the same email address.

Feb 24, 2018
Still baffles me how little EA seems to care about the Switch and how little effort the put into their ports, like this isn't an WiiU situation, it's a success and market mainstay now. Like even if it was just ports of the old line up would be one thing, but this seems like self sabotage.

Spades

Oct 26, 2017
Presumably people still buy this version every season or EA would actually develop a Switch version.

LasNochesGin

Alt Account
Banned
Jul 16, 2019
Switch users shooting themselves in the foot. No more EA games for users that don't like EA games.
Why would us care about EA games if they don't give us EA games? FIFA 2020 is only a update of squads for almost the same price of a complete game.
So if they are openly fraudulently pricing a FIFA 2019 update as a new game, the last thing I would care is if they are happy or not.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Good - there is enough great content from great devs on Switch that users can spend money on...no need to waste time with EAs lackluster offerings.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That reviews have scored this slightly below the midpoint for all possible scores really emphasizes how wacky game scores are

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Hey, at least I'm through with EA as much as they seem to be with the Switch and, in consequence, with me as a customer. It's a hate-hate relationship, works out great, lol.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
Then why is nobody manipulating it for a better score?
Why would they? Why do people manipulate scores in the first place? And as I said, I'm not saying that's what's going on here. It's just to highlight how useless userscores on metacritic are.

Look at the userscores on the other versions of FIFA 20. They're all nearly as low as this, despite those versions being much much better.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
They should get nailed for releasing the same game over and over.
you can't release the same game as last year under a new title and expect the same scores. you're fooling some people into paying for a game they already have, and putting out a pointless product. they deserve much lower scores.

Sure, I agree it is a beyond shitty practice and I'm sure EA will get "feedback" and people will say "that was the last one I bought", when the squad update isn't enough for them, even when EA's yearly sports-game model was never to provide much more than what last years edition had. Yeah now it is the absolute minimum effort and there are probably people buying that game for a second year in a row and only then understanding, what EA is doing.

All I'm saying is that those "reviews" (at least as aggregates) appear to be as useless as the user scores because they barely even reflect the game part in their score anymore when reviewers resort to bombing the game for stagnation instead of idk copy pasting their review from last year or maybe not reviewing the game at all if they're gonna sacrifice their credibility over it. At least that's how it seems to me

Toad King

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
After seeing EA's schedule for (non-existent) Switch releases I can only think back to the presentation before the Switch's launch when they had that EA guy on stage talk about how much they love Nintendo and how he personally named his son Luigi.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Why would they? Why do people manipulate scores in the first place? And as I said, I'm not saying that's what's going on here. It's just to highlight how useless userscores on metacritic are.

Look at the userscores on the other versions of FIFA 20. They're all nearly as low as this, despite those versions being much much better.

The narrative that userscores are useless because they can be manipulated is useless itself. Because it would mean that every score should land near 50% because people manipulating it would constantly try to outdo themselves.

What about 30% userscore? or 70% userscore? Why aren't they 0% or 100% if manipulating it was so easy?

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
All I'm saying is that those "reviews" (at least as aggregates) appear to be as useless as the user scores because they barely even reflect the game part in their score anymore when reviewers resort to bombing the game for stagnation instead of idk copy pasting their review from last year or maybe not reviewing the game at all if they're gonna sacrifice their credibility over it. At least that's how it seems to me
do you think if CDprojekt re-released witcher 3 with very minimal changes as a new full price game and called it witcher 4, it would deserve the same high scores as 3 got?

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Meh, I haven't bought an EA game in awhile after they bought my fav studio Bioware awhile back. At this stage, EA has a vendetta against Nintendo it seems dating to the NES era and they put minimal effort to say they're "providing 3rd party support". Nintendo knows it, but can't do anything barring buying EA. EA sports games will still sell, but that extra cash on Switch probably doesn't matter to them.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
do you think if CDprojekt re-released witcher 3 with very minimal changes as a new full price game and called it witcher 4, it would deserve the same high scores as 3 got?
what changes would that be, though? Squad updates are not minimal changes but more like the essential changes for considering playing the game for another year.

If they added a few new characters and questlines, a new clothing option for Geralt, a remixed soundtrack, called it The Witcher 4 S and released it on Switch people would eat it up and ignore the stupid name ;)

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
what changes would that be, though? Squad updates are not minimal changes but more like the essential changes for considering playing the game for another year.

If they added a few new characters and questlines, a new clothing option for Geralt, a remixed soundtrack, called it The Witcher 4 S and released it on Switch people would eat it up and ignore the stupid name ;)
this isn't about porting a game to a new system for the first time. this is the same game, on the same system.
and no, just a roster update is an extremely minimal change that can probably be delivered to players with a 100MB update. i know people make jokes about sports games being the same thing every year, but there are changes, new modes and improvement beyond just the mandatory roster update.

Dec 23, 2017
Out of all the EA titles that would be a disappointment this is the last one I expected. I would have thought if they were going to go ham on any title that they would save it for the big ones. If they are half assing their biggest titles there is no hope for anything else they make. The Switch is a large market you would think the Fifa would have had a good effort.
People still don't realize it's Nintendo and they font matter to these publishers. I can't think of many games that are perfect fits for switch yet they are no where to be found.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
this isn't about porting a game to a new system for the first time. this is the same game, on the same system.

this is also not about a story-driven game being sold under a different name with the same story.
this is a game that is purely about the enjoyment of the gameplay, be it alone or with other people in a certain synchronicity with the real world sport counterpart.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this is also not about a story-driven game being sold under a different name with the same story.
this is a game that is purely about the enjoyment of the gameplay, be it alone or with other people in a certain synchronicity with the real world sport counterpart.
and it can be released, no one will stop EA. but users and critics are allowed to review bomb it for the scummy practice of re-releasing a year old product under a different title.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Sure, I agree it is a beyond shitty practice and I'm sure EA will get "feedback" and people will say "that was the last one I bought", when the squad update isn't enough for them, even when EA's yearly sports-game model was never to provide much more than what last years edition had. Yeah now it is the absolute minimum effort and there are probably people buying that game for a second year in a row and only then understanding, what EA is doing.

Reviews exist to inform users. Lots of people just look at metacritic scores and don't read the text. It's infinitely better for them to trash the game score wise for being the same than just repaste an old review. The game is being sold for full price. Users could go and buy Fifa 19 for a fraction of the price and get the same game.

Like what the fuck kind of logic is this?

Deleted member 21858

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
And even so, one Nintendo website gives it 6.5 saying: " EA has shown enormous neglect in its new game for Nintendo Switch. Without just new content, the game is an update of faces, teams and t-shirts of FIFA 19. Only recommended for those who do not have FIFA 19 or do not mind the neglect of EA for Switch. "

Websites need to start using te whole scale. The review makes it sound like the game is a piece of shit, so why not give it a 2 or 3? 6.5 can be actually decent ¬¬

Oct 25, 2017
I always enjoy watching how much shit a fanbase can take before they crack and don't buy the game.

Its always fascinating.

Doesn't seem like we are at that point yet.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
Last week was NNK, this week Fifa. What will be the next half assed game UK Nintendo fans will buy anyway?

The rest of y'all better have bought Dragon Quest XI S

At 2 years late (I guess 1 year for the West) it gets bought at a discount. I would have rather played this game on its initial release last year than have it come in Sept with literally a dozen other games I want to play.

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
These sports game still continue to top the charts with zero effort from the devs so why change anything. People buy these games for $60 and then load up on shitty microtransactions for they can buy digital cards to get a sick my team.

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
Websites need to start using te whole scale. The review makes it sound like the game is a piece of shit, so why not give it a 2 or 3? 6.5 can be actually decent ¬¬

perhaps they're making the clear distinction that the game isn't 'a piece of shit'? It's a poor value for folks who already own fifa 19 on Switch, but as a stand-alone bit of software, it delivers a pretty good game of football.

It's just baffling how EA can't see the business opertunities they have on the Switch. It's like someone high uptop in EA got personally butthurt by the poor performance of Wii U, and basically decided "fuck Switch" before it was even released. And now theyre to "proud" and stubborn to correct course.

most of EA's games run on Frostbite. Nintendo made the choice to release a relatively weak console, ensuring a Frostbite port would be no trivial task.

perhaps Nintendo should work with EA to help smoothen a Frostbite port to Switch

Pryme

Aug 23, 2018
These sports game still continue to top the charts with zero effort from the devs so why change anything. People buy these games for $60 and then load up on shitty microtransactions for they can buy digital cards to get a sick my team.

At some point, we'll need to recognize these type of posts as shitposting.
There's a whole new mode in the game. 'Zero effort' my arse.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017

It's not "review bombing" when you criticize a game for being literally identical to the previous game outside of a roster update. Reviews aren't objective measures of a game's quality, and context most certainly matters to their overall conclusions.

Gotdatmoney

Oct 28, 2017
perhaps they're making the clear distinction that the game isn't 'a piece of shit'? It's a poor value for folks who already own fifa 19 on Switch, but as a stand-alone bit of software, it delivers a pretty good game of football.

most of EA's games run on Frostbite. Nintendo made the choice to release a relatively weak console, ensuring a Frostbite port would be no trivial task.

perhaps Nintendo should work with EA to help smoothen a Frostbite port to Switch

Engine support is much more a function of feature set than of power. It's not that frostbite won't run on the Switch, it's that EA doesn't want to port it. That doesn't mean games like Battlefield would hit the Switch running at full HD 60 fps or such but if they wanted to port these games they could. You're not seriously going to say Fifa 20 is too much for the Switch are you?