• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

vlaar

Banned
Sep 23, 2018
Greedy move by FIFA to ask for too much money. What do they think will happen now? Someone will develop a FIFA game?

Only 2K has the pockets to spend on the rights + licenses and develop a worthy competitor but it'll take them a minimum of 3 years to develop a game and who knows how it'll turn out. Look at PES devs, haven't made a good game in years.

EA changes the name and will for sure suffer very little.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
It seemed inevitable once the initial reports started. They gain nothing from continuing with FIFA and players will move over fine, especially with the lack of competition.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
So even if FIFA partners with another studio, they can't use all these leagues. They fucked up bigly.
Yeah this is what I expected FIFA would do. Get rid of the exclusive FIFA license and just get exclusivity for all the big leagues at probably way lower prices, which kills off any new possible competitor before it's even on the market. It's gonna be extremely hard if not outright impossible to get people interested in your game when you don't have the big leagues.

Megabreath

Oct 25, 2018
Stange move by FIFA, who is going to make a Football game on par with EA's 25+ years of experience? Its basically impossible

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
OP should probably point out that *this* year's EA Sports game will be "FIFA 23," and that the existing deal stands until 14 months from right now. Then in late 2023, we'll see "EA FC 24" or whatever they call it.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, must've missed it. RIP any FIFA game I guess?
Well, the only thing they will get is a very recognizable brand name, but anyone that sees the EA logo in the cover will know what the old and trusty FIFA really is.

Also, I don't think anyone will pay the FIFA license, they were asking for quarter of a billion per year to EA.

OléGunner

Oct 25, 2017
Airborne Aquarium
FIFA got too greedy.
They will be kicking themselves in the balls soon enough.

Interesting to see how general people react to the rebranding. I think adjustment will be relatively fine.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That FC logo intro is clean af and from a design standpoint allows them to do a lot more with the name if they're going to change up the appearance of "FC" every year to correspond with the cover player.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
Stange move by FIFA, who is going to make a Football game on par with EA's 25+ years of experience? Its basically impossible

EA has nearly 1000 people working on FIFA each year
They have 30 years of experience

Good luck to everyone attemptiong to make a competitor, slapping FIFA on the boxart is not going to help.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Good.

If they can use at least 50% of the money they are saving each year for the license to improve the series it's going to be a massive win for EA and the fans.

FIFA asking $250m/year for a fucking name can get fucked.
LOL. Wishful thinking. This is going directly into their pockets.

Oct 28, 2017
If they are willing tp pay $250m for the branding EACH YEAR + they have a big studio to handle an AAA football title releasing every 12 months they can go for it and good luck.
It really just sounds like EA saved themselves a lot of money rebranding the game to Football Club. They've embedded themselves in the genre as THE football game for the last 20+ years with the sales numbers and development pipeline to show for it.

Oct 27, 2017
It'll remain in the public consciousness as FIFA 24 and the actual entity won't receive any money for it. This won't hurt EA, and FIFA (org) are going to struggle to compete with a rival game. An interesting question to ask is whether this rebrand was an eventuality, because that partnership bears little significance to the core EA FIFA product and why people like it.

DigSCCP

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
I wonder if EA will be able to promote EA FC inside FIFA23 that would be hilarious lol

Oct 25, 2017
What are people actually going to call it?
Foot C?

EA FC?

Probably just FC after awhile.

This seems really dumb by Fifa I doubt there are a ton of publishers looking to spend 100's of millions on the license. Probably just some mobile games or something cashing in on the name. No one is going to want to make a competing AAA football game.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
EA has nearly 1000 people working on FIFA each year
They have 30 years of experience

Good luck to everyone attemptiong to make a competitor, slapping FIFA on the boxart is not going to help.
Anyone capable of spinning up the work force to work on one is not going to be interested in a 150 million + tax they might not recover for years. Or hell even doing sports games

ThatCrazyGuy

Nov 27, 2017
I'm not a soccer fan really, but EAFC sounds fine, and I know it means Football Club.

I don't think they wanted to put football club in full on there in north America.