SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
While we're here, it must be said that PULLUM AND VULCANO ARE OUT.

Ms. Purna feels pretty good to use, once again. You still have to be mindful of her cancel routes, of course, but she really has moves for a nice set of situations. I know I'm going to see some crazy annoying players with her air mobility and solid pressure and mix-up strings.

Vulcano's teleport being a qcf+k throws me off, because I want it to be a blockstring-friendly special, not a way to run into stuff. Minus that, though, his rekka starter confirms from some crazy distances, and the whole thing works as long as that first blow does. His supers ultimately feel strong, and the fire column has a deceptively long active box that stays even after the super is over. The improved AA normals all seem to make his hop cancel shenanigans worse than they could be, but it's a great tool to have, if you can find where to use it. And SO many counters, many of which lead to super cancel opportunities.

I should really see what their new themes sound like... Been happy with the old familiar Pullum stuff, and I THINK I like Vulcano's? I never paid much attention to him in the past.

Oh, and the Arcade mode at LEAST has a single paragraph blurb when you beat it, now! That's welcomed.

OP
OP
CommandThrower
Oct 26, 2017
The OP has now been updated with new images in the Character and Gougi sections! The new images from the FEXL website detail a bit of the character's background.

Now that Rosso and Pullum are finally in, I wonder what the future holds. I still believe that we will get Area, Sharon and Terry in the future as DLC, but perhaps they'll be paid DLC.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I've no objections if they go the paid DLC route for those characters, the base game is padding out nicely now and I'd be happy to support them with more content if they add it. Definitely see Terry as being paid DLC, and that's definitely the character I want the most now.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Spent some time with Pullum while my dinner cooked last night (before jumping into more Destiny) and I love what they did with her. She's not super different but changed just enough to be different and fit with the current game. Got all of her missions done except the last one, which I'm sure is just a matter of the timing for the c.MP. I'll probably do the same with Rosso tonight.

Mr. Pointy

Oct 28, 2017
Now that Rosso and Pullum are finally in, I wonder what the future holds. I still believe that we will get Area, Sharon and Terry in the future as DLC, but perhaps they'll be paid DLC.
Terry will almost certainly be paid DLC. I'm hoping Area and Sharon are free because that would round out the complete SFEX originals roster, minus the Cycloids and Ace. I could live with, say, Fighting Layer characters being paid DLC.

akilshohen

Dec 8, 2017
Terry will almost certainly be paid DLC. I'm hoping Area and Sharon are free because that would round out the complete SFEX originals roster, minus the Cycloids and Ace. I could live with, say, Fighting Layer characters being paid DLC.
I just played Fighting Layer for the first time last night in Toyko (on vacation) and got so excited thinking about all the characters from that game coming to EX layer as DLC.

OP
OP
CommandThrower
Oct 26, 2017
It's been a while since this thread was updated, but there is some new info/teases that ARIKA has graced us with.

A schedule has been released for the game's updates and happenings:

November 29th: The arcade version will be released.
November 30th: The Steam version will be released, and the PS4 version will get an update.
December 6th: A physical version will be released in Japan.

And, then...on December 14th: the schedule for 2019 will be unveiled.

This was backed by a video, that teases a look at Sharon at the very end:

https://youtu.be/5Dv4fk-VIa8?t=52

I think 2019 will be an interesting year for Fighting EX Layer. I'm looking forward to it~!

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Physical release? As in a more wide release? I think I have to buy that. Not like I've not got enough to purchase at that time! (Smash, Judge Eyes, Capcom Belt Collection)

OP
OP
CommandThrower
Oct 26, 2017
Physical release? As in a more wide release? I think I have to buy that. Not like I've not got enough to purchase at that time! (Smash, Judge Eyes, Capcom Belt Collection)

I believe the physical version is only being sold in Japan(the video states that the physical copy is the Japanese version of the game), but that means you could import it.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
I believe the physical version is only being sold in Japan(the video states that the physical copy is the Japanese version of the game), but that means you could import it.
Import is no problem for me. Good to know, I'll probably just grab that with Judge Eyes then just so I can have a physical release and give these guys a bit more money!

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
So nice to get a DLC / Update / What's new in FEXL Roadmap! I've watched a bunch of the ARCREVO footage they streamed / put up, and it has bee great to seen how the gameplay has grown.

The additional tease of Sharon's new design looks so much nicer than her kinda plain, traditional look. There's so, SO MANY Femme Fatale / Black Widow / Nikita style designs out there now, that I'm really glad to see her design made more bold.

And it's great to see ARIKA just... able to make something so consistently again.

Terrell

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm sure Limited Run would happily partner with Arika to release this game physically in North America. It's all just about making the introductions.

OP
OP
CommandThrower
Oct 26, 2017
I'm sure Limited Run would happily partner with Arika to release this game physically in North America. It's all just about making the introductions.

Ooooh, now you're talking.

If Limited Run Games sells a physical copy of Fighting EX Layer for the west, then I'll gladly triple dip on that. Just wait until we get news on Sharon, Area and Terry.

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else excited to grab this on Steam today? I can't wait to play as Skullomania again after all these years

OP
OP
CommandThrower
Oct 26, 2017
I didn't realize the game was out today! I was expecting tomorrow!

Well, I just double dipped. For those who want a deal, Steam has it for 26% off until December 6th. So, you can get the game for only $29.59!

The PC version is the console Standard Edition, with Hokuto and all the gougi decks. The color DLC is available for PC--same price as consoles.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/871200/FIGHTING_EX_LAYER/

EDIT: Also, the PC version is the most recent version. This recent update includes changes to the Teleport and Hunting Dash gougis. Rather than those gougis being active at all times, you can press down+up to activate the hunting dash and teleport(down+up-forward to teleport in front of your opponent, and down+up to teleport in front and above your opponent!). These special movement options cost a small portion of your meter.

I think that's a very welcome change. Dashing is super important in this game, so having your dashes be overridden by the teleport and hunting dash was kind of a bad thing. Having them just be another option in your toolbox is a much better change.

Last edited:

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've played for 3 hours so far and I'm really enjoying this game. The music, the graphics and artwork, the characters, the gameplay... it's all on point. I'm currently trying out all the characters and getting used to the gameplay by going through arcade mode with all the characters.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
I absolutely adore this game so far, there are many aspects in which I like it better than other "big" fighters out there. I can't believe I'm playing as Pullum and Vulcano Rosso again!

Ganyc

Oct 26, 2017
bought it on steam, there are a few bugs (infinite loading after mission mode), but i like it so far.

Are there any plans to add player lobbies with more than 2 players? 2 player room is a bummer

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Very much considering the double dip for this, especially since it's only $30 right now and is the complete version.

Turns out it also runs pretty flawlessly using Proton for Linux, so this just sweetens the pot for me getting it.

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
It's really sad that finding other players on PC is a struggle :( I love everything about this game so much, I actually can't decide between Pullum, V. Rosso and Darun. I guess it'll be an offline affair...

Celcius

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished completing arcade mode with every character on easy and normal difficulties. Now I'm feeling like I've really gotten used to the combat.

OP
OP
CommandThrower
Oct 26, 2017
It's really sad that finding other players on PC is a struggle :( I love everything about this game so much, I actually can't decide between Pullum, V. Rosso and Darun. I guess it'll be an offline affair...

Like most niche fighting games, this one is another where Discord will be a boon for finding matches.

I don't know if there's one set up here, since I'm not much of an online playee myself. But--them's the breaks.

Anbec

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
I just bought the game, while it feels odd. I'm having a lot of fun.
Hopefully we tried it out this week on my local scene.

EDIT:
Since this is the first time I played this type of game, does it follow SF but less strict inputs? I see that you have a "magic series" like in Marvel with L, M, H but mostly if you want to continue is using L,Mxx special xx Super?

Also, I saw some guides but most of them are really old, any new tips or good matches you would recommend guys?

Last edited:
OP
OP
CommandThrower
Oct 26, 2017
So why should I buy the standard version at 35 when I can buy the light version and her for 25 to 28 bucks? The gougi can be collected in game, right?

The extra gougi decks cannot be collected in-game. The five that come with the Light Edition are good "all-rounder" decks, for lack of a better term, but the Gougi decks that come with the Standard Edition offer more fun gameplay styles, like adding a short-hop to your kit, or even adding teleports to your kit.

I'd honestly recommend getting the Standard Edition. The gougi are this game's primary mechanic, and I'd get them all. If you want, you can get the Light Edition first, and then get the extra gougi decks via the DLC pack which contains them at a later date. However, doing that would be more expensive than just buying the Standard Edition.

Sharon and Terry Update
OP
OP
CommandThrower
Oct 26, 2017
A new update for Fighting EX Layer is nigh! On March 26th, we will get version 1.2.0! This version will bring some balance changes to the cast, and I think some changes to some of the gougi decks. One change I saw amidst the new match videos ARIKA posted, is that Darun's "Ganji's DDT" special now hits crouching opponents! I'll be on the lookout for patch notes when this new version releases.

More importantly, this new update will also bring two new characters! Sharon, and Terry Bogard!

NXOwarR.jpg

Sharon is free, but Terry will cost $5 USD.

Also, something that I thought was fun. There is an official Fighting EX Layer merchandise store! You can buy things like shirts, tote bags and phone covers here: https://suzuri.jp/arika-game

The site is in Japanese, but the folks at ARIKA have provided a handy-dandy guide for buying stuff there if you are so inclined: http://www.arika.co.jp/arika_eng/goods.html

1.2.0 Patch Notes & Area Reveal
OP
OP
CommandThrower
Oct 26, 2017
I was working a lot of overtime, so I neglected to post the newest patch notes for FEXL: https://www.facebook.com/ARIKAOfficial/posts/612374252559463?__tn__=-R

There's not a lot of significant changes, the biggest one is that Darun's Ganjis DDT now hits crouching opponents.

And while ARIKA released the mobile version of FEXL today, Nishitani also officially unveiled the final DLC character for this game: Area.

Nishitani claims that she was supposed to be out at the end of May, but apparently she got pushed back to either June or July. Whether that's just an April Fool's Joke, I don't know.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
I'm wondering if we'll ever get a "major" update that makes a bunch of changes and adds things to the game like Meteor/Level 3 supers. Terry has 2 of them so I have to wonder if they'll do this around when Area drops. Maybe that's even the reason for the delay? One of the parts of her gameplay was her glove and you could actually destroy it when you use her Meteor.

OP
OP
CommandThrower
Oct 26, 2017
I'm wondering if we'll ever get a "major" update that makes a bunch of changes and adds things to the game like Meteor/Level 3 supers. Terry has 2 of them so I have to wonder if they'll do this around when Area drops. Maybe that's even the reason for the delay? One of the parts of her gameplay was her glove and you could actually destroy it when you use her Meteor.

Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it. After Area gets added, I think that will be the end of this game's updates, and if Area has a level 3 super, then that'll just be something that she and Terry have.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it. After Area gets added, I think that will be the end of this game's updates, and if Area has a level 3 super, then that'll just be something that she and Terry have.
A man can dream!

TBH, I would be fine with them leaving the game as it is as far as adding content, and moving on to something a bit more... large in scale? Though I don't want it too large because I wouldn't want any AAA screwery going on with it. Part of what makes this work is because they're making it how and what they want. A sequel or expansion bringing in more of the FL characters (yes I'm counting Blair and Allen) would be fine.

Deleted member 40604

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 3, 2018
I hope the next update lets us do VS CPU. The interface is already there for VS battle they only just need to make it so we can set P2 as a CPU! I think the game needs this since unfortunately the player base is small. At the very least let us play the game casually however we want.

Also I can't help but think the mobile version is a beta test for something bigger. Maybe a port to Switch? I have an iPhone 8 and the mobile game is running extremely well on my phone. Wouldn't be the first time Arika ports something to a Nintendo console.

rawhide

Oct 28, 2017
Also I can't help but think the mobile version is a beta test for something bigger. Maybe a port to Switch? I have an iPhone 8 and the mobile game is running extremely well on my phone. Wouldn't be the first time Arika ports something to a Nintendo console.

They said the mobile app is purely an April Fool's release and won't be getting any updates, fixes or anything of the sort, and that just convincing people to polish it to the point where they could release it as a gag was a huge ordeal.

SAB-CA

Nov 30, 2017
Area Gameplay reveal this morning by 2 videos:

Think she's looking pretty good personally. Like the little heart that pops up when she hugs her mega-gauntlet.

They say she's not quite complete with a release date yet, so they want us to cheer them on towards completion.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
And with this, all of my most used non-Capcom EX characters will be in the game. If only we could get Capcom to let Arika put Sakura in...

Piccoro

Nov 20, 2017
Area Gameplay reveal this morning by 2 videos:

Think she's looking pretty good personally. Like the little heart that pops up when she hugs her mega-gauntlet.

They say she's not quite complete with a release date yet, so they want us to cheer them on towards completion.

Nice!

trevofour

Oct 26, 2017
joisey
Great news everyone - FEXL is adding online lobbies!

But for some reason the host can't participate and is limited to spectating only? Wha?

OP
OP
CommandThrower
Oct 26, 2017
ARIKA recently uploaded a new video showing off more Area:

According to this video, a new update is set to release sometime between July 11th and July 25th. This update will probably have Area, and the online lobbies.