Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
549569-iron-blood-warriors-of-ravenloft-dos-screenshot-another-arena.png

Third Strike still looks amazing to this day. The art style is practically unmatched.
Get that soul calibur shit outta here

Oct 26, 2017
I played arcade mode with Axl last night. I switched to Axl because he's more my speed, with SF-like buttons, zoning, and the ability to play long, mid, or close range, and blah defense. Just the type of character I love playing! I'm really impressed by Xrd Rev 2's Episode mode. I rarely play single player modes unless it's a story mode just to get that out of the way, but this has the best FG ai I've ever really fought. I mean, it's still not good, but the ai actually used recognizable bnb's and with the higher difficulty modes could put on something that would be a modicum of pressure. It's also less of an input reader than Capcom games so it wasn't frustrating. I mostly just played it with the goal of zoning and spacing first. I considered a failure if I let the ai into my red zone (close space) but used that opportunity to work on my bnb's, defense, creating space with FD, reversals. I also played around with ground and air movement and fully capable of implementing what I've learned from mission mode and GG Crash Course into it, like dash brake run faking, baiting a whiff, and then punishing.

I have to say that I am in love with Axl's move set. His 5K is an incredible mid-range poke and his 2K is excellent at stopping the opponent from going into your space. It really reminds me of Chun's crouching Short in Super Turbo. His 5S is hnnng but is very negative in terms of frames so I need to remember not to abuse it. I love his cs.S and will be trying to implement the frame traps with it later. I noticed that his 5P is very particular. It *seems* like a solid poke but it carries immense risk. It completely goes right above certain characters' heads like May or even Faust depending on the range. It was fantastic for characters like I-No with her particular dash. Stuffing it was nice and easy. But it's a very particular move and I love that a lot of his moves carry risk. You cannot autopilot this character or risk getting fucked. But at the same thing, his normals are so. good. Like, Guile and Chun Li good. I love him.

I haven't taken him online yet but I just had to gush how good the Episode mode is for getting used to your characters game plan. I'm very skeptical when it comes to fighting AI, so color me surprised when it was actually helpful and fun for a change. Really solid way of getting used to characters and their basic gameplay surprisingly enough, which you can't say for most fighting game AI.

On top of that I got a great color unlock for beating the mode with Axl. It's by far my favorite color with him and he actually looks really cool with it. He looks so much better when it looks like that's a jacket wrapped around his waist, grunge style, and not some shitty pair of flaps as you can see here.

ZrelL0f.jpg

Going through all the modes in Rev 2, finishing up story mode with After Story C, I am even more disappointed with the content in some of the recently released fighting games. ASW games have the full package for me and I'm glad I no longer have to settle as I fully embrace the anime.

Beckx

Oct 26, 2017
Xrd's content is top notch, for sure. i need to get back to it. i want to keep learning Jack-O but the struggle is too real. maybe i can just play Baiken and just spam tatami mats. Xrd hurts my brain.

Oct 26, 2017
Oh, and one of the best parts of Episode Mode was kicking Jack-O's ass after being introduced to that monstrosity last week courtesy of lyte edge

Punish that jD.

Imma let you finish but Ky's colour 8 is top three colours in the game.

0161.jpg

No arguments there. It's glorious. I'm just happy that there's an Axl color I like because before choosing him, I LOVED his play style but HATED his character design. It's one of those characters where the playstyle and game plan are A+ but the design is so bad you don't want to bother.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
I've tried with Xrd, Rev and now Rev 2, but I just cannot get used to a character in Guilty Gear. Dont even know why, just NO ONE seems to click with me like they do in other games.

Oct 26, 2017
my life as a Hakan main

It really makes no sense either as Axl in X2 is such a solid design.

I've tried with Xrd, Rev and now Rev 2, but I just cannot get used to a character in Guilty Gear. Dont even know why, just NO ONE seems to click with me like they do in other games.

Ask QisTopTier about that. He's great at suggesting characters in GG and BB depending on your play style and character preference. If you're an SF player he suggests Axl, Ky, or Faust. Ky is basically Ryu with solid normals and a good fireball game with fundamentals being high. I'd honestly add Sol to that but he's not like many SF characters and feels more of an SNK character. Plus, Q doesn't seem to like him, haha.

Q suggested me this channel to watch to see which characters' game plan I like. This is the vid that made me go with Axl.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GJOG8TT5ks

Here's one for Ky.

https://youtu.be/Vww-dnZhJF4

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
Ky was literally the only character that I liked playing with in GG, which is weird because in Blazblue and UNIEL and Melty, I immediately found at least 2 characters that I loved playing with. I always play at least 2 characters in any given fighting game but I just can't stomach playing anyone other than Ky in GG.

"I play Ky Kiske." The class is shocked at my overwhelming intelligence. "...how? I can't even understand its sheer nuance and subtlety." "Well... ROUND START GREED SEVER!" One student laughs, and I turn to see who the fellow genius is. It's none other than Albert Einstein.

So this popped up in my subscriptions feed lmao.
You need a better subscriptions feed.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Xrd is my favorite fighting game series this generation. It's absolutely amazing.

Not personally looking forward to DBFZ, but excited for ASW to finally get the recognition they've deserved for like two decades.

So this popped up in my subscriptions feed lmao.

Unsubscribe.

Oct 26, 2017
Xrd is my favorite fighting game series this generation. It's absolutely amazing.

Not personally looking forward to DBFZ, but excited for ASW to finally get the recognition they've deserved for like two decades.

I'm looking forward to them getting respect they deserve with DBFZ. I've been a Guilty Gear fan a long time and it always shocks me why it was never mentioned when people talk about stuff like single player content in fighting games. I remember being shocked it had a dedicated story mode in X2 when I got it when it came out so all of the hubbub about story modes these days just never really made sense to me coming the fact that Arc had been doing it for so long. Guilty Gear is still the only fighting game story I give two fucks about after all these years. Seeing the face of That Man blew me away.

Beckx

Oct 26, 2017
story is context for action

+

I like silly video game stories.

also

who doesn't have the Pope, shotguns, fighting games, and giant bomb in their recommended video lists??

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't play play the Tekken 6 scenario for like 3yrs
All i had to do in Tag 2 was one thing to get a plat and haven't bothered
And someone else ran Tekken 7

All i need is VS, Practice and online

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan

Same here, except I also need a good mode to practice stuff with new characters. Like an Arcade mode *cough cough* or like Episodes in GG.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Same here, except I also need a good mode to practice stuff with new characters. Like an Arcade mode *cough cough* or like Episodes in GG.
It's always good to have options
It's easier to avoid things that don't matter to you than have them not even included in the game for others. Especially if it's a mode that's usual in the games being taken out

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
still can't believe Tekken 7 doesn't have replays. I didn't record that epic speaker-shattering sound of Lars' rage drive hitting through the armour of Paul's Rage art and winning the round.

Oct 26, 2017
story is context for action

+

I like silly video game stories.

also

who doesn't have the Pope, shotguns, fighting games, and giant bomb in their recommended video lists??

For me, as a generally non-story mode fg fan, a lot of the times I don't understand what's going on in the story and it's confusing without that context and I kind of want to know wtf is going on, but when I try I'm swamped with a bunch of lore or garbage.

I also have a bunch of makeup and art subs at the bottom haha.

I am usually like this too. It seems only ASW could make me like single player content. I thoroughly enjoyed Sign and Rev's story mode for example. Tekken 7's story mode was really bad. I thought SFV's was better. It feels like story is made to for the action with fighting games and not the other way around. It feels like Guilty Gear and KoF are the lone exceptions for the most part. I really like Guilty Gear's story bits. The character of Millia Rage for example, is far cooler than most characters Capcom comes up with.

still can't believe Tekken 7 doesn't have replays.

In-game replays? You mean a basic feature that indie doujin games like Yatagarasu even have that somehow Tekken 7 doesn't? Yeahhhhhh, I know what you mean.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Karsticles

Karsticles

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Every genre has people who skim it, and I think that counts most people. RPGs are dying because Final Fantasy sucks. Fighting games are dead because Capcom is struggling. There are no more good Metroidvania games because what's an Indie game?

When people say fighting games have bad something, it is just an admission that they only play Capcom games.

Himuro Axl is a really weak match-up for my Zato. So we might be closer to being even already.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
Every genre has people who skim it, and I think that counts most people. RPGs are dying because Final Fantasy sucks. Fighting games are dead because Capcom is struggling. There are no more good Metroidvania games because what's an Indie game?

When people say fighting games have bad something, it is just an admission that they only play Capcom games.

Himuro Axl is a really weak match-up for my Zato. So we might be closer to being even already.

People slowly realising that the FGC isn't just Capcom
It took their two big franchises delivering less and every other company shooting for the stars with theirs for them to realise.

Also the Mummy game is a pretty good metrodvania lookalike

Beckx

Oct 26, 2017

people looooove their narratives about game genres

Oct 26, 2017

Let's test my Axl's zoning tonight. The goal: don't let you get in. Absolute space control.

And your post is 100% correct about that absolutist mindset.

skillzilla81

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I don't see much changing in the FGC. People still call it a dark ages when capcom weren't making games. People always had more fighting games to play.

Same as it ever was.

Deleted member 10551

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's like wrestling- there's downtime when the great stuff is in the indies, until the next mainstream thing comes along.

I don't know if fighting games will ever get a mainstream success again though- just too many easier ways to get your competitive fix in these days, and team games which allow for teammates to handhold bad players.

Numb

Oct 25, 2017
This year has seen a sequel to almost every big fighter and There's new IPs on the way
If this won't do it i don't know what will

Oct 26, 2017
I don't see much changing in the FGC. People still call it a dark ages when capcom weren't making games. People always had more fighting games to play.

Same as it ever was.

Calling the 2000's the dark ages is confusing to me but at the same time there was truth in it. I don't think it ever got truly bad as a 2d fighting fan until like 2005 or 2006. As a 3D fighting game fan you had lots of options, but 2d was absolutely drying up by then and we weren't getting games like GGXX Slash in the west. Unless you were a big SNK fan, you had to settle with old games or imports. Combined with dying arcades and it was a really bad time. Thank God SFIV came out when it did.

So I think there's truth in the "dark ages" thing. At least, if you were a 2d fan.