Oct 26, 2017
Yeah I impulse purchased one after someone cancelled their order on amiami and am looking for a dedicated display case now. Total after shipping came out a bit short of $1500. It's the first and hopefully last 1/4 scale (literal) bunny figure I buy.

Saw a cool custom case from a Hong Kong maker but doesn't seem like they take international orders. Looks like the kind in my previous post are just called Japanese doll cases.

Last edited:

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Last edited:

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
Received my first ever Pop Up Parade; Ed and Ein from Cowboy Bebop. Absolutely adorable figure and good quality. Definitely gonna need to get some more of them, it's just often hard to commit on smaller figures.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
Received my first ever Pop Up Parade; Ed and Ein from Cowboy Bebop. Absolutely adorable figure and good quality. Definitely gonna need to get some more of them, it's just often hard to commit on smaller figures.

That one is great! A shame their Spike is... the opposite (his face is totally off). Pop Up Parade quality is really all over the place, but "prize figures" in that tier I think have some really great ones out there from other companies.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
That one is great! A shame their Spike is... the opposite (his face is totally off). Pop Up Parade quality is really all over the place, but "prize figures" in that tier I think have some really great ones out there from other companies.
The only PUPs that are consistently higher quality are the L and XL lines. The regular series is a toss-up where sculpts are concerned.

LaneDS

Oct 25, 2017
The only PUPs that are consistently higher quality are the L and XL lines. The regular series is a toss-up where sculpts are concerned.

Yeah, agreed. I have I think four CSM ones and... I dunno, not great! Their bigger Berserk ones (Guts and Zodd) are rad though, like you're saying.

Banpresto seems to be my favorite of that tier of figure (cheaper but still nice looking), but have also liked offerings from Taito and Sega. I'm sure there's other good ones too.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
So I just noticed something disappointing about the Ed Pop Up Parade that I can't believe I didn't notice prior... They white washed her. What the hell. 🙁

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, agreed. I have I think four CSM ones and... I dunno, not great! Their bigger Berserk ones (Guts and Zodd) are rad though, like you're saying.
Yeah, the Berserk Pop-Ups are fantastic. I just really hate the bland bases. Which is a problem across the whole line. Also I wonder if Zodd's base really needed to have the massive footprint it does.
So I just noticed something disappointing about the Ed Pop Up Parade that I can't believe I didn't notice prior... They white washed her. What the hell. 🙁
Not a terribly uncommon problem with figures, unfortunately. Some companies are better about it than others. I think it may have something to do with materials where the final colors don't come out quite the way they should.

Javetus

Feb 23, 2019
So, I am in a bit of a dilemma:

Kotobukiya Frieren
frieren-beyond-journey-s-end-frieren-17-kotobukiya.jpg

And Claynel Frieren
frieren-beyond-journey-s-end-frieren-claynel.jpg

Price are almost the same, so I don't know if you folks recommend one brand over the other or if any other brand is going to announce a Frieren related figure soon.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Kotobukiya Frieren

And Claynel Frieren

Price are almost the same, so I don't know if you folks recommend one brand over the other or if any other brand is going to announce a Frieren related figure soon.
Both companies are okay. I think the likeness and colors of Claynel's are better, but I like the pose and base of Koto's more. Not an easy decision indeed.

And there's also a Frieren by GSC and one by QuesQ announced, if you wanna wait (it may take a while):

138.jpg

j8h4wkc.jpeg

And the "older" one by MegaHouse:

coco013_01_l_c1a7b838-1669-4586-b32f-3190c1e8f656_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Javetus

Feb 23, 2019
Both companies are okay. I think the likeness and colors of Claynel's are better, but I like the pose and base of Koto's more. Not an easy decision indeed.

And there's also a Frieren by GSC and one by QuesQ announced, if you wanna wait (it may take a while):

138.jpg

j8h4wkc.jpeg

And the "older" one by MegaHouse:

coco013_01_l_c1a7b838-1669-4586-b32f-3190c1e8f656_1024x1024@2x.jpg

Which one gives you the best impression to you? I'm still trying to figure out my brands of choice since I got into this fairly recently.

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Which one gives you the best impression to you? I'm still trying to figure out my brands of choice since I got into this fairly recently.
I'm still waiting to see if any of them announces Fern and Stark to go with Frieren, since I'll probably want all 3. But out of those announced so far, Claynel's is the one that I liked the most.

As far as brand goes, in my experience all of the five above are very good but none of them are exceptional. GSC is the one with the best reputation, with the most popular and well made figures, but they still have their misses from time to time (and it's getting more frequent lately). Claynel is the newest one out of these with very few figures already released, but those few have pretty good quality, very close to the prototype. Like said above, Koto's rarely messes up, you'll get what you paid for, something close to the prototype though not perfect. MegaHouse is weird... sometimes they release amazing products, sometimes they look like overpriced prize figures, but usually they are very close to the prototype show, though still very expensive. I like Ques Q a lot, but who knows when they will show their Frieren (and if they will release it one day).

Anyway, tl;dr, they are all trust worthy, if you love the prototype you'll most likely also love the final figure. Just get what you think makes more sense for your budget, and when in doubt you can always wait until they are released so you can choose based on pictures/videos of the final products.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

Favi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
GSC is very well detailed, but she looks too much like a kid to me, and the posing is way too boring.

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017

Kotobukiya Frieren
frieren-beyond-journey-s-end-frieren-17-kotobukiya.jpg

And Claynel Frieren
frieren-beyond-journey-s-end-frieren-claynel.jpg

I have the same dilemna but went with Koto.
- better base
- reliable manufacturer
- more likely to get at least a Fern one in the same line as Koto generally does multiple characters for popular IPs

Don't really like Kotobukiya's face, but the flowers are nice.

Koto has a bonus face which I like much better.

I'm still waiting to see if any of them announces Fern and Stark to go with Frieren, since I'll probably want all 3. But out of those announced so far, Claynel's is the one that I liked the most.

As far as brand goes, in my experience all of the five above are very good but none of them are exceptional. GSC is the one with the best reputation, with the most popular and well made figures, but they still have their misses from time to time (and it's getting more frequent lately). Claynel is the newest one out of these with very few figures already released, but those few have pretty good quality, very close to the prototype. Like said above, Koto's rarely messes up, you'll get what you paid for, something close to the prototype though not perfect. MegaHouse is weird... sometimes they release amazing products, sometimes they look like overpriced prize figures, but usually they are very close to the prototype show, though still very expensive. I like Ques Q a lot, but who knows when they will show their Frieren (and if they will release it one day).

Anyway, tl;dr, they are all trust worthy, if you love the prototype you'll most likely also love the final figure. Just get what you think makes more sense for your budget, and when in doubt you can always wait until they are released so you can choose based on pictures/videos of the final products.

Great post though the last one is not by MegaHouse. Design Coco is a more recent manufacturer. They already worked with Mappa on a Gojo.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Great post though the last one is not by MegaHouse. Design Coco is a more recent manufacturer. They already worked with Mappa on a Gojo.
Design Coco is a bit different than other companies, as they work via commission. The commissioner (in this case Mappa) determines the character, pose, figure design, budget, etc. and Design Coco works within those specifications.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure there's been talk on this before, but as things vary and can change, can't hurt to ask again. What is like… a "go-to" shelf these days? I remember back in 2014~2016, when I got super into amiibo it was all about the IKEA Detolf (with arguments on that being overboard for them lol). Unfortunately I.. did not get any of those. No space.

That's different now, and I do have space for a standalone glass shelf. I've also picked up a fair few "actual" figures since the , not just a bunch of amiibo. But I checked my local IKEA and they don't have Detolf anymore, plus what they had seemed smaller and also was like… $120??? I swear Detolf was $50 or something back then.

Are shelves really going to set me back at least a $100 now? I don't have anything mega expensive, highest dollar item is my $120 Deep Sea Girl Miku. But I have a few $60~$80 preorders coming over the next year or so, and I'd like to actually have em in a shelf rather than just sitting on my dresser. But frankly if it's $100+ nowadays I may just deal. :x

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
I'm sure there's been talk on this before, but as things vary and can change, can't hurt to ask again. What is like… a "go-to" shelf these days? I remember back in 2014~2016, when I got super into amiibo it was all about the IKEA Detolf (with arguments on that being overboard for them lol). Unfortunately I.. did not get any of those. No space.

That's different now, and I do have space for a standalone glass shelf. I've also picked up a fair few "actual" figures since the , not just a bunch of amiibo. But I checked my local IKEA and they don't have Detolf anymore, plus what they had seemed smaller and also was like… $120??? I swear Detolf was $50 or something back then.

Are shelves really going to set me back at least a $100 now? I don't have anything mega expensive, highest dollar item is my $120 Deep Sea Girl Miku. But I have a few $60~$80 preorders coming over the next year or so, and I'd like to actually have em in a shelf rather than just sitting on my dresser. But frankly if it's $100+ nowadays I may just deal. :x

I use Billy book shelves from Ikea with glass doors, it's more adjustable and it can contain 5-8 shelves of figures depending on their size.

Unless you have huge figures like 1/6 or 1/4 scale I think it's the best set up.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I use Billy book shelves from Ikea with glass doors, it's more adjustable and it can contain 5-8 shelves of figures depending on their size.

Unless you have huge figures like 1/6 or 1/4 scale I think it's the best set up.
The Billy also has adjustable shelves if need be, except for the middle one which is part of the units support structure. I personally have a Billy with the glass doors and a few detolfs. The only downside to the former is that it doesn't offer the variety of viewing angles that the detolf does.

Anyway, all that said... the best alternative for the detolf that's most similar is the BLALIDEN. Or maybe the RUDSTA if you need something shorter.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Wait they officially discontinued the detolf? I know it's been sold out at times but it seemed like a top seller.

ChrisD

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Man. I feel like I've already seen those two other IKEA ones. But I'll give the RUDSTA another look tomorrow. Will be out anyways.

It all just looks so… blocky. Wish the colors didn't stand out so much.

(Billy would be a tad too large hah)

Kentsui

Oct 26, 2017
Billy exists in two width just in case.

Ikea's selection is a bit weird nowadays for collectors with the Detolf gone, the Rudsta is nice but a bit small and I prefer having most of my stuff at eye level, the milsbo is bigger (and pricier ...), but those diagonal feet are a waste of space.

Blaliden being smaller really is what kills it for me, I don't mind the edges that much cause it makes it way easier to hide cables and such.

Billy's with glass doors are nice, but the glass doors with almost no edges are not available around me half of the time, plus the depth of the shelves aren't ideal for everything (Hello Ningguang), the deeper billys aren't available everywhere either for some reason...

The Besta system can work, but is wayyyy more pricy, if you're willing to pay the price you can have more flexibility with it cause they also have half shelves you can play with in the deeper ones (even in glass), but all the currently available glass doors have huge outlines that partially obstruct the view, and they used to have doors without them but they are not available anymore either.

Bombless

Oct 25, 2017
The more time passes, the more I feel I'll just have to see about ordering a custom design from a furniture maker here.