Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
Speaking to Push Square as part of an upcoming interview, DLC director Takeo Kujiraoka gave us some insight on the matter: "In recent years, players of the Final Fantasy series have tended to skew towards a higher age range. However, this time there are survey results showing that more people in their teens and 20s played Final Fantasy 16."

He continues: "I think this shows that, to a certain extent, we've achieved one of our initial goals – to have players of all ages play the latest Final Fantasy game."

"This doesn't mean that all future Final Fantasy games will take a similar direction to Final Fantasy 16," Kujiraoka clarifies, "but I do think it means that we've been able to bring new players on board and open new possibilities for the development teams that will work on future instalments in the series."

Coming from the words of the DLC director, full interview not out yet.

Toth

Oct 26, 2017
Oh boy this is going to ruffle some feathers.

i am curious if Rebirth tended to be more for the older population.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
The kids are alright.

But seriously, XVI has issues, but I think this just goes to show that this is another template they should iterate on (despite Kujiraoka's lack of committal in the interview).

Between this and XIV, it seems like CBU3 is generally better at reaching younger gamers than CBU1 is.

Are the younger players in the thread with us now?
>Younger
>On Era

Pick one.

This is a joke I'm sure there are some younguns on Era.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy this is going to ruffle some feathers.

i am curious if Rebirth tended to be more for the older population.

It absolutely was. It's basically a navel-gazing 'LOOK, OLD FOLKS! IT'S ALL THIS STUFF YOU REMEMBER' game.

I doubt XVI's metrics actually skewed "more young people than old people", though. These kinds of interview translations are always kind of rough, but it sounds like what he's actually saying is that the share of young players increased compared to the last survey.

Raigor

May 14, 2020
What do they mean with younger players? <20 years old or between 20-30 years old?

WeWereGiants

Nov 8, 2017
29 gang rise up!

I'm really glad that younger players are jumping into the series for the first time, if they play and enjoy 16 there are countless legacy titles available to jump into across all platforms.

Despite the doom and gloom around here I think the franchise is in a good spot.

Super

Studied the Buster Sword
Jan 29, 2022
FzgnHEEWYAEkZqU.jpg

Wyatt+

Jan 15, 2020
When my SO's TikTok algorithm started feeding her Clive videos, I knew something was afoot.

MissingString

Oct 28, 2017
I loved XVI and appreciated the more serious tone. That's not to say that every Final Fantasy game needs to be GoT grimdark, but reducing the overly tropey anime vibe from the previous games went a long way to helping me love the story. I think VIIR is great, but some scenes are rough from a writing perspective.

I dunno if that's the reason younger players gravitated to it, but it's a trend I hope to see going forward in Final Fantasy. Either way, I'm glad they seem to have strengthened the brand a little.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
The kids are alright.

But seriously, XVI has issues, but I think this just goes to show that this is another template they should iterate on (despite Kujiraoka's lack of committal in the interview).

Between this and XIV, it seems like CBU3 is generally better at reaching younger gamers than CBU1 is.

>Younger
>On Era

Pick one.

This is a joke I'm sure there are some younguns on Era.

fellowkids.jpg

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
now the "disappointing" Rebirth sales makes so much sense. thank you Square Enix!

BobLoblaw

This Guy Helps
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Growth is relative. Having a younger demographic go from 5% to 10% is nice, but if your competitors are seeing growth from 5% to 20%, then you're still falling behind.

Philippo

Developer
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Can Square pick the FF IP from the trash can after throwing it away, or is it too late?

finally

Jul 22, 2019
Can confirm, my cousin who is a typical teenager boy (Minecraft, Fortnite, COD, Rocket league), play single player sometimes like GOW, Spiderman, RE and he recently also was interested in FF16, however he thought FF7 rebirth was a weird game and had no interest in it at all

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
Ironic that writing a more mature story roped in more young folks. Maybe that's what they want. I know that's what I would have wanted and kids are growing up faster than ever.

plow

Oct 28, 2017
Incoming 20 page thread full of people arguing whether or not he's lying based on completely anecdotal claims?

I, a 30 year old male, don't know of any teenagers that bought FF16, however, i know a lot of 30 year olds who bought the game, thus making this claim false.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
In light of Square Enix declaring that XVI has expanded the demo of the franchise to new much younger demographics, what can CBU1 do to improve the Remake trilogy in the next 3 years to make it a success?