bunkitz

Brave Little Spark
Oct 28, 2017
Heck yeah! Awesome for the franchise and awesome for the game too. Everyone should welcome the joy of Final Fantasy into their lives. 😌 Especially IX. And that critically acclaimed one that comes with an extremely generous expanded free trial. 👀

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
In light of Sqaure Enix declaring that the XVI has expanded the demo of the franchise to new much younger demographics, what can CBU1 do to improve the Remake trilogy in the next 3 years to make it a success?
My thread name becoming a recurring meme is a source of both immense pride and shame for me.

CottonWolf

Feb 23, 2018
I, a 30 year old male, don't know of any teenagers that bought FF16, however, i know a lot of 30 year olds who bought the game, thus making this claim false.
I, a 30-something, know of several students of mine who bought it, however, I know no 30 year olds who bought the game, thus making this claim true. :P

Ninja_Hawk

Oct 27, 2017
I fit this demo and thought the game was a banger! Glad the game was a source of growth for the franchise.

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017
In light of Square Enix declaring that XVI has expanded the demo of the franchise to new much younger demographics, what can CBU1 do to improve the Remake trilogy in the next 3 years to make it a success?

This sounds like one of those suggestions GPT would throw around lol.

Zafir

Oct 25, 2017
i am curious if Rebirth tended to be more for the older population.
I mean, yeah, I don't doubt it really? It was largely aimed at people who loved FF7, a game which is getting eeriely close to 30 years old. I'm sure they'd have liked other people to play it too, but the stigma is still there.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
It absolutely was. It's basically a navel-gazing 'LOOK, OLD FOLKS! IT'S ALL THIS STUFF YOU REMEMBER' game.

I doubt XVI's metrics actually skewed "more young people than old people", though. These kinds of interview translations are always kind of rough, but it sounds like what he's actually saying is that the share of young players increased compared to the last survey.

For sure. If they were that young skewing, it would've been pretty immediately clear just from general sales. This feels like a more moderate shift that wasn't entirely clear until they had the much older skewing Rebirth to compare to.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Are the younger players in the thread with us now?
Late 20s like many here but I think we're the last ones who were bought in as kids. I grew up on 10 and 12, and liked 13 in my teenage years, which made me go back and play some older ones too. So I'm still their 'older' fanbase I think.

Spacejaws

"This guy are sick" of the One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
I, a 30-something, know of several students of mine who bought it, however, I know no 30 year olds who bought the game, thus making this claim true. :P
I, a 30-something, know of one 22 year old who said this in response to asking what I was playing: "Oooh, eiiiie, wow, cool how do you even keep up with all those? 15 years of games, wow, do you need to have played them all?" thus making the claim true as he clearly had never heard of Final Fantasy before. :)

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
Easily my least favourite mainline FF game. I'm 35 if that matters. I'm not being snarky either - genuinely bummed me out that I was so down on it.

jroc74

Oct 27, 2017
Growth is relative. Having a younger demographic go from 5% to 10% is nice, but if your competitors are seeing growth from 5% to 20%, then you're still falling behind.
I would like to think most companies want to worry about/compare themselves vs themselves first before worrying about the competition.

Dogui

Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
"This doesn't mean that all future Final Fantasy games will take a similar direction to Final Fantasy 16," Kujiraoka clarifies, "but I do think it means that we've been able to bring new players on board and open new possibilities for the development teams that will work on future instalments in the series."

I don't get this reasoning. If FFXVI is the game that was successful in renovate the fanbase, how the hell the obvious decision here isn't to double down on that?

It feels like their position is to just send generic good news without any kind of compromise lol

Remeran

Nov 27, 2018
Easily my least favourite mainline FF game. I'm 35 if that matters. I'm not being snarky either - genuinely bummed me out that I was so down on it.
Similar feeling as a 33 year old. This has more to do with me being an RPG fan though. I could see how a action game fan would love the combat, but the RPG mechanics were too shallow for me to like.

I wasn't a huge fan of the back third of the game's story, but I feel like if the RPG mechanics were more robust I don't think I'd be too worried about the story. There are a lot of FF games that get pretty whacky by the end, 8 and 9 come to mind.

Sesha

â–² Legend â–²
Oct 25, 2017
Good. There may be a lot of lapsed fans/people who don't have a PS5/or 12/13/14/15 failed to attract younger fans, but if they can grow a new audience over time then it'll pay dividends. They just need to find a way to have mainline entries take less than 6-7 years to ensure momentum keeps going. 7R aside, there should probably be two teams working on mainline games in cycle.

Now, that said, make a female-led game again.

OP
OP
Dreamboum

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I don't get this reasoning. If FFXVI is the game that was successful in renovate the fanbase, how the hell the obvious decision here isn't double down on that?

It feels like their position is to just send generic good news without any kind of compromise lol
I would wager Kujiraoka knows that if he said anything of the sort, iy would start a war he doesn't want to be involved in. You couldn't piss off more FF fans saying something of the sort if you tried

zaxil456

Aug 4, 2020
But I don't want this game to succeed so clearly his information is wrong or he was looking at the wrong data.

Lumination

Oct 26, 2017
I don't get this reasoning. If FFXVI is the game that was successful in renovate the fanbase, how the hell the obvious decision here isn't to double down on that?

Column A: Because artistically, the series has been about "whatever the director wants".
Column B: Saying they will double down is talk for investors. Making sure the olds don't throw a fit is the talk for interviews.

Xwing

This guy are sick of the unshakeable slayer
Nov 11, 2017
FzgnHEEWYAEkZqU.jpg

Honestly /thread. Can't top this reply,

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
FF Fans or Fans of Final Fantasy 1-6 that still live in those times and can't accept the truth(Press R3+L3)?
From my completely anecdotal experience, people who like 1-6 seem more likely to dig XVI than those who started with VII and onward. I started with IV and I adore XVI. Which makes sense because XVI's setting and story would fit pretty nicely in that lineup (namely with the II, IV, and VI style of darker stories), and there's a ton of Final Fantasy V inspiration in its character development system.

I don't get this reasoning. If FFXVI is the game that was successful in renovate the fanbase, how the hell the obvious decision here isn't double down on that?

I think they're just not ready to publicly commit to a direction for the series yet.

I would wager Kujiraoka knows that if he said anything of the sort, iy would start a war he doesn't want to be involved in. You couldn't piss off more FF fans saying something of the sort if you tried
Yup.

TooBusyLookinGud

Graphics Engineer
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
California
Great news! I'm down for having an older protagonist like Clive and it shows that it won't hinder new players.

Persona really should think about upping the age of their characters too. Going through the lives of teenagers is getting a bit boring.

Spork4000

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Didn't see this coming, but I'm happy. The series doing well is a net good for the industry, even if I didn't personally like the game's direction.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I feel like these XVI threads are attacking a strawman of people who apparently want the game to fail or something. Or there's some context I'm missing, but they're really strange to read.

I'm looking forward to that PC version anyway and wondering how the DLC integration will be, if it might help me think differently on the things that really didn't work for me here

Orayn

Oct 25, 2017
It's an interesting conundrum when you compare to Rebirth, which is presumably doing better with long-time fans and worse at bringing in new ones. XVII really needs to thread the needle and do a decent job with both.

AEF1907

Fallen Guardian Corrupted by Vengeance
Dec 18, 2021
My first FF was FF7 Remake with 20 but FFXVI was the first mainline FF game I was there day one. Hope 23 counts as younger player 🥲

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
The older the protagonist the younger the audience. Make the next protag 60 and SE will be able to tap into the Fortnite generation

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
The problem with Final Fantasy is precisely that nothing guarantees that what you like about Final Fantasy XVI will be present in XVII.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
Realistically speaking, the latest Final Fantasy is always gonna be someone's first and part of why it's so good each instalment can be its own thing.

I'd like to see them improve the battle mechanics and overall challenge the game offers so I hope this at least gives them incentive to build on what they have.

The story would still have been a massive disappointment for me even if they hadn't talked it up like that, but there's too much good here to abandon.

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Banned
Jun 8, 2019
I feel like these XVI threads are attacking a strawman of people who apparently want the game to fail or something. Or there's some context I'm missing, but they're really strange to read.

I'm looking forward to that PC version anyway and wondering how the DLC integration will be, if it might help me think differently on the things that really didn't work for me here

every FF thread especially the sales and performance threads gets derailed into strawman argument whipped out of thin air

Agni Kai

Nov 2, 2017

Join me, snausages. Together, we shall defeat these people.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019

even among FF there seems to be people bickering with FF7 or FF16. Both getting their wins in where they can

Then you have the people who want all FF to fail

It's a mess. Never been a part of such a fractured community as the FF community

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
It's a bit of backlash-to-the-backlash. For a long time XVI would get trashed in even completely unrelated threads (and very often by many of the same people and points over and over) so there's a hair of schadenfreude in getting news like this. Until the recent Rebirth sales speculation came out, sales threads would often have people coming out of the blue to dunk on XVI.

It's not exactly mature or healthy but hey.

It's an interesting conundrum when you compare to Rebirth, which is presumably doing better with long-time fans and worse at bringing in new ones. XVII really needs to thread the needle and do a decent job with both.
I had a thread about what an XVI follow-up could learn from Rebirth without losing it's own identity. There was actually some good discussion to be had in it for a while before the shitposting started.