• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022
Wouldn't it be wild if by finishing the Rising Tide DLC, Clive and company learn how Mysidia maintains its blue sky under Primogenesis and manages to spread it back to the rest of the world?

People would complain you need to pay for DLC to get the nice sky back, but honestly, I'd take it as a solution to the narrative issue they've created for themselves. Would also explain why its not a toggle. The devs seem so acutely aware of how much people dislike the purple filter, so much so that they marketed the DLC all around the clear skies.

I think people are probably going to be disappointed if they expect a toggle or DLC-solution to the primogenesis sky.

Mainly because so much of the NPC dialogue and side quests are written with the understanding that primogenesis is hanging over them - they would have to be re-written into two potential formats, or you'd have to add in another point of no return and cut the sidequests off.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
The performance improvements probably aren't listed but we know there are some. YoshiP said it wont be perfect but they worked on it as much as possible

Gunny T Highway

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The performance improvements probably aren't listed but we know there are some. YoshiP said it wont be perfect but they worked on it as much as possible
If so it is kind of weird to omit it from the patch notes. All that needs to be stated is:
▪︎Improvements made to performance mode that creates a more stable experience.

Dmax3901

Oct 25, 2017
I more or less enjoyed my time with this game, but damn it's kinda crazy how forgettable it is (for me).

Geode

Oct 27, 2017
All this talk about the sky at the end of XVI makes me wonder how people reacted to the change at the end FF9 back of the day. I guess if that FF9 Remake rumor is true then SE better add a way to revert that change.

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
I think people are probably going to be disappointed if they expect a toggle or DLC-solution to the primogenesis sky.

Mainly because so much of the NPC dialogue and side quests are written with the understanding that primogenesis is hanging over them - they would have to be re-written into two potential formats, or you'd have to add in another point of no return and cut the sidequests off.
I think the only way they could do it that feels diegetic and doesn't cause too many problems with side quest dialogue is have the "one final sidequest" ala FF7 Rebirth that unlocks after you finish all of the other quests.

We do know there is a new side quest that opens up after you complete both DLC so it's possible that epilogue quest does something to the world state and sky box. But it's all conjecture for now.

ventuno

Nov 11, 2019
"Additional cutscenes have been added to certain sidequests." This definitely had me raising my eyes... Some cutscenes deliver a lot of important information, some I'd say should have been featured in the MSQ, so I'd definitely like to know how substantial this actually is.

EDIT: I personally would have liked boss fights going quicker when I played since I kind of got bored of them given the lacking challenge (for my personal taste).

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about the sky at the end of XVI makes me wonder how people reacted to the change at the end FF9 back of the day. I guess if that FF9 Remake rumor is true then SE better add a way to revert that change.

I wonder how they'll manage when Remake Part 3 has a red sky with the Meteor floating there for 70% of the game.

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
I wonder how they'll manage when Remake Part 3 has a red sky with the Meteor floating there for 70% of the game.
"Where's my Meteor toggle, SE??? My photos for Snaps are RUINED!! Scenic mode is just ugly red sky??!!" /s

I do hope they make it dynamic like Dalamud in FFXIV 1.0 and have the meteor get bigger and bigger with each passing day/story event.

Neutron

Jun 2, 2022

The main problem with the end of FF9 (and moreso with FF8) was that they just had to lock off locations to save room on Disc 4 for all the ending FMVs.

The actual world map itself isn't a big deal. There's some more mist in the backgrounds of certain locations if you look hard but I don't think people are going to complain about it in the remake. FFXVI's impact is far more extreme.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
"Where's my Meteor toggle, SE??? My photos for Snaps are RUINED!! Scenic mode is just ugly red sky??!!" /s

I do hope they make it dynamic like Dalamud in FFXIV 1.0 and have the meteor get bigger and bigger with each passing day/story event.

Yeah, they should be able to make it gradual.

Still, the endgame has to look dire for the story's tone, so unless they make a massive change to how the events surrounding Meteor happen, that's what people should expect.

FatCatSings

Jan 31, 2023
Yeah, they should be able to make it gradual.

Still, the endgame has to look dire for the story's tone, so unless they make a massive change to how the events surrounding Meteor happen, that's what people should expect.
I agree, although I also am of the opinion that the end game skybox in FFXVI is not that bad. Yes, it's not pretty, but like you said about FF7, it's pretty important to the tone of the game. That said, I do understand the desire to have it be changeable after you beat the story once.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
It can be done right, it's just ugly in XVI. The samey music everywhere doesn't help.

A meteor skybox could absolutely rip. I want it to give FFVI World of Ruin vibes.

tjh282

May 29, 2019
I didn't play the Omega DLC as I was just waiting for this to come out, but these buffs across the board are so odd. If I'm reading it right, the Bahamut ones seem to address some of the clunkiness of skills with that particular eikon but just raising damage across the board when battles don't take that long to begin with is not great IMO

stn

Oct 28, 2017
The enemies are definitely spongy, that increased ATK will make the game more fun. Looking forward to playing this again soon.

Kazhar

Feb 20, 2024

Those are completely different situations.

The problem with XVI's implementation is that the dull purple filter make the lighting so much worse, and brought down the visuals with it. It also lasts much longer and the whole soundtrack is changed too, replacing the great compositions by somber piano ballads rearrangements that quickly get repetitive because it all sounds the same (even worse if you played FFXIV before because those are just Keiko's night themes you already heard hundred of times).

An apocalyptic sky can look awesome, CBU3 themselves proved it with FFXIV 5.0 and 6.0. Everlasting Light Kholusia looked really beautiful, with the creepy, uneasy arrangement of Kholusia's theme being one of the highlight of the Shadowbringers soundtrack.

So no, FFIX remake has nothing to worry about as long as "intentionally ugly" aren't their goal with the end game mist.

Last edited:

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I mean the Meteor looks cool and intimidating - even on PS1.
This just looks like piss on a ps5...

Eh.
FFXVI's sky change was a calm purple twilight, I didn't really have a problem with it.

Meteor worries me because they could make it a far more aggressive red, and if that colors the landscape for the same amount of time that would really suck.

entrydenied

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
This will probably ruffle feathers, but no skybox toggle after certain story events???

I suspect that the areas have two versions, one that is pre dark sky and another that's after, each with their own set of events, monsters etc. It's not just a toggle that they can toggle like a game with real time weather and day/night cycles.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
"Additional cutscenes have been added to certain sidequests." This definitely had me raising my eyes... Some cutscenes deliver a lot of important information, some I'd say should have been featured in the MSQ, so I'd definitely like to know how substantial this actually is.

EDIT: I personally would have liked boss fights going quicker when I played since I kind of got bored of them given the lacking challenge (for my personal taste).

IIRC I think the extra cutscenes are about what they talked about at Pax?

Flashbacks showing Clive getting his Mark removed.

Spudacus

Oct 29, 2017
  • Two instances of ball lightning will fire when exacting Ramuh's Eikonic Feat Blind Justice.
  • Ball lightning affixed to enemies is now detonated via the feat button rather than attacking.
  • Clive now moves faster while using Blind Justice.
  • Clive can now dodge while using Blind Justice.
  • Clive recovers poise more quickly after exacting Blind Justice.
This is really funny to me, so many people didn't realize that the ball lightning damage depends on the damage of the attack that triggers its detonation, or didn't even know it needed to be attacked/detonated, and thought that ability was completely useless as a result. The QoL stuff when aiming it is nice though.

Vareon

Oct 25, 2017
Wait I feel like I'm out of my mind. I tried a custom controller layout, only to swap dodge with Eikonic Feat (R1 to O). Why is it now one Eikonic Abilities R2 + L1 instead of R2 + △ ?

erekiddo

Electric
Oct 25, 2017
Is this out already? My game just updated to 1.31 but thought it wasn't out until tomorrow. In the US.

NateDog

Jan 8, 2018
I won't have time to get to this for a while given how little time I have for games and with me being about 50 hours into Rebirth, so it'll be a while until I get to experience it but I really enjoyed my time with XVI despite its flaws so I'm looking forward to hopping back in when I can.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
I liked the gameplay a lot but Still think they should patch it so all the base eikonic abilities are usable regardless of what 3 you have equiped. Phoenix and Garudas gap closers being inaccessible if you don't have them equipped is just bizarre. They took core DMC abilities and gated them off so you can only equip 3. Thats just not a good design to me.

Stryda

Aug 20, 2018
Seems like the english notes have a typo

Both German and Japanese patch notes say they "increased damage in select eikon battles" not "outside select eikon battles" like in english