• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
On April 10th, 2020, Final Fantasy 7: Remake - one of the most hyped games of the last few years, a re-imagining of a classic RPG that many of us grew up playing, finally launched to much fanfare, mostly great critical reviews and sold exceptionally well.

Its only been just 3 months since the game came and went, and it seems like its completely faded from the general gaming discourse. I never see anyone even talk about it anymore, it currently only has 427 viewers on Twitch, It rarely has any threads pop up about it on the Gaming side...

What exactly happened with this game? It had YEARS of hype built up around it, we were all waiting for it to blow us away, and after playing it, I'd mostly say it delivered. The biggest gripe I personally had with it was it felt way too padded out, and by the end of the 35 hours or so of playtime ; I just wanted it to be over with. Perhaps it was the divisive ending that turned people sour on it.

Last edited:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
A lot of single player games are just like that. Something new will come out and that gets attention. Some type of games are just sorta disposable. Even if they get a lot of Critical praise.

Oct 28, 2017
It's a story based single player game with limited re-playability.

I've still working at it (very little free time this year), but I realize I'm in the minority. Most have moved on to other things, and will be back for part 2.

TLOU2 discussion is dying down now (minus outside controversies), and Ghost of Tsushima will follow the same trajectory over the next month. Its the circle of life.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty common with most single player games tbf

Plus this year has been, y'know

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like its a difficult game to talk about without spoiling things.

Also the way the game ends kind of makes you just want the sequel to come out.

Zhao_Yun

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think the ending was discussed in great lengths and in the meantime other juggernauts released like last of us 2. Discussions will pick up speed again once we get first info for part 2.

fracas

Oct 27, 2017
I can't recall any single-player game still dominating discourse three months after the fact in recent memory, other than maybe TLOU and RDR2?

Imran

Oct 24, 2017
What you're asking is a large question about narrative single-player games and how well they pervade discourse months after release in a time where there's lots of them and a larger context to both the gaming and non-gaming world

What people who reply to this thread are going to think you're asking is "Hey what did you not like about FFVIIR?"

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
What happened is I played it, 100%'d it, enjoyed it a ton and moved on. I talk a bit about story theories for later entries but beyond that? What am I supposed to do? It doesn't need more than that with the next game so far out.

Yuntu

Prophet of Regret
Nov 7, 2019
Germany
People played it, people liked it, it sold well, people are waiting for the next part.

Nothing happened with it.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There's too many games coming out compared to before, that's all it is.

We've also got next gen on the horizon and that's sucking up oxygen in the room.

There was a lengthy thread talking about the hopes and dreams for the next installment, which is more than many games get.

Saiyaman

Dec 19, 2017
People discussed the game and its divisive ending a lot and at this point, folks are just waiting for an announcement of part 2 to see where this wild ride is taking everyone.

I'm sure you can still find people discussing theories and what not just not on the front page of era.

Ze_Shoopuf

Jun 12, 2018
It doesn't have multiplayer with refreshed seasons hype, so we all played it and are now basking in the afterglow, some us tearfully wrecked, others staring into the abyss of the wait for the next game.

headfallsoff

Mar 16, 2018
I promise this isn't true us square nerds do not shut up, we're just kinda quarantined to our own circles. But there are (often very bad) theory videos in my youtube reccomendations every day, it hasn't faded into cultural nothingness.

Macca

Oct 25, 2017
This happens with most games really. People move on.

Also it probably doesn't help that it wasn't the "full game".

entremet

You wouldn't toast a NES cartridge
Oct 26, 2017
Why does this narrative persist?

Are ppl supposed to be talking about games forever?

It was a SP game without DLC or a persistent gaming mechanic like a Desitny. People move on. It's not some judgement on a game. Game sold like crazy.

Slaythe

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
I think we were all excited to see how they would expand Midgar and flesh out the world.

Dozens of lifeless corridors and sewers and underground labs in straight lines really did not help.

The over padding of "oh no we fall and have to get back up, but first, random dungeon !" was also killing the pacing a lot of times.

And it's just part 1, nobody knows where they are going so ... it's just a wait and see situation.

And despite its really good parts, the game doesn't offer much after a couple playthroughs.

Jaguar King

Oct 25, 2017
This is what happens when a game lack of post release contents.

I mean we didn't even get some DLC costumes.

AndrewDean84

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Fontana, California
I played it and beat it. I just wasn't a fan of all the walking, and huge pointless areas that were created to pad it out.

I'll enjoy rewatching all the cutscenes again on YouTube when Part 2 comes out in a few years, because there's no way I'm playing through that game again.

NinjaScooter

Oct 25, 2017
there months is a long time. Other big games have come out since. What do you expect people to talk about?

TheXbox

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
A new Half-Life game came out around the same time and people stopped talking about it after a month. This is just video games now.

Nov 14, 2017
It was fun. A little too much backtracking and bad side content but overall a good time. Best fight was the final boss battle IMO.

I will play the next one on PS5.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the people hyped for it bought it day one, beat it, discussed it at length and have moved on. Not that unusual 3 months after the fact. Especially with a year as loaded as this one

Deleted member 66837

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 24, 2020
I mean it's a single player game that came out in April it was talked about heavily first month and half and the diehards still talk about the rest are waiting for Part 2 completely natural lifecycle

DJ Lushious

Enhanced Xperience
Oct 27, 2017
I'll talk about it when it A) comes out on more platforms and B) the complete Final Fantasy VII experience is available.

GFdoom

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
I think more than ever these days, big releases are packed back to back and a game only gets a few months in the spotlight before folks move on to the next. And especially this year with the imminent release of the next consoles.

gamer forever

Banned
Feb 3, 2018
We did it over 20 years ago and enough has been said. I think we all just want the sequels to be released, but at the same time know that the game won't be complete for another 20 years.

KOfLegend

Jun 17, 2019
It's my GOTY so far (TLoU Pt II is close second) and I pretty much don't talk about it anymore. I've had all the conversations I've wanted to have about it. It's okay to stop talking about things instead of repeating the same stuff, I think.

Tycho Kepler

Unshakable Resolve
Apr 22, 2018
Ive been comparing everything I play to it, was easily the best thing I've played this year.

Ouroboros

Oct 27, 2017
United States
I feel like everyone who really wanted to play it and talk about it have done so already. Sure others will pick it up but there are a lot of other games out right now that warrant play first.

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017
One of the most controversial games this gen came out after it and also PS5 showcase. What do you expect? 3 months is a long time and it was discussed to death.

Oct 25, 2017
On April 10th, 2020, Final Fantasy 7: Remake - one of the most hyped games of the last few years, a re-imagining of a classic RPG that many of us grew up playing, finally launched to much fanfare, mostly great critical reviews and sold exceptionally well.

Its only been just 3 months since the game came and went, and it seems like its completely faded from the general gaming discourse. I never see anyone even talk about it anymore, it currently only has 427 viewers on Twitch, It rarely has any threads pop up about it on the Gaming side...

What exactly happened with this game? It had YEARS of hype built up around it, we were all waiting for it to blow us away, and after playing it, I'd mostly say it delivered. The biggest gripe I personally had with it was it felt way too padded out, and by the end of the 35 hours or so of playtime ; I just wanted it to be over with. Perhaps it was the device ending that turned people sour on it.
People talked about it a lot, but then The Last of Us 2 leaked.

Also, what's left to say that hasn't been said 1000 times already.

Any new thread is gonna play out exactly like one of the first dozen.

TaySan

SayTan
Dec 10, 2018
Tulsa, Oklahoma
People played and finished it and since it's only single player there is not much more to discuss what has already been discussed. Everyone is waiting for the next game.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
What do you want us to say? It's not like there is content that is keeping people there. If they re-release it for next gen expect new discussions