Oct 25, 2017
Another Final Fantasy Platinum down. I somewhat foolishly bought a PSVR just for this. It was a good experience though.
L3uRAVM.jpg

I now have 12 out of 14 FF Platinums.

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XV
Monster of the Deep: Final Fantasy XV
World of Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Type-0
Adventures of Mana (Final Fantasy Adventure)

I also have all the update trophies in XV so far as well as all the trophies in A King's Tale.

Just need 1 more trophy in XIV for the Platinum. Currently at 480/1000 leves completed. Gonna start Zodiac Age in a couple weeks. Wonder which one I'll Plat first.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
Another Final Fantasy Platinum down. I somewhat foolishly bought a PSVR just for this. It was a good experience though.
L3uRAVM.jpg

I now have 12 out of 14 FF Platinums.

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Final Fantasy XV
Monster of the Deep: Final Fantasy XV
World of Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Type-0

I also have all the update trophies in XV so far as well as all the trophies in A King's Tale.

Just need 1 more trophy in XIV for the Platinum. Currently at 480/1000 leves completed. Gonna start Zodiac Age in a couple weeks. Wonder which one I'll Plat first.

That's some dedication alright.
Good luck with that last trophy, which is ironically the only FF platinum that I have ^^

Oct 25, 2017
That's some dedication alright.
Good luck with that last trophy, which is ironically the only FF platinum that I have ^^

I recently started leveling fisher on leves while getting the Veteran Fisher trophy, so I'm just gonna level it all the way to 70. That should be a good chunk. Took 130 leves to get from 15 to 50. I've never been a crafter/gatherer so this whole trophy list has just been crap for me lol.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I recently started leveling fisher on leves while getting the Veteran Fisher trophy, so I'm just gonna level it all the way to 70. That should be a good chunk. Took 130 leves to get from 15 to 50. I've never been a crafter/gatherer so this whole trophy list has just been crap for me lol.

If you want to level fisher either way, then yeah that's the way to go.
Doing crafting leves on the other hand is way faster, especially if you only pick leves that can be selected and completed on the same map (Ul'dah being the fastest).
Waiting for those suckers to recharge is the real pain in the ass.

It's hard as fuck trying to find footage from some of these older Final Fantasy games. I got to make this anniversary video.

It's cool to see people caring about that huge milestone... sure as hell Square isn't -_-

Last edited:

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The only FF platinums I have:

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Final Fantasy XV
World of Final Fantasy
Final Fantasy Type-0

So 8/14

It's not much but I'd take it.

Heck I barely even attempted Comrades. Maybe next week!

ULTROS!

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FYI, FFXV is on sale thanks to the VGA Sales:

PS4 FINAL FANTASY XV $19.99 $49.99
PS4 FINAL FANTASY XV DIGITAL PREMIUM EDITION $29.99 $74.99

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
PSX is tonight, and officially the last chance this year for a new FFVII Remake trailer:

final_fantasy_7_remake_ffvii_5.jpg

This space reserved for future mockery (or perhaps joy).

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
We aint getting anything from PSX. If there was going to be anything if the sort theyd have built it up a bit. Sony have been actively lowering expectations of this PSX.

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
At this point, I just want any info on the remake. That way, someone can make a thread and I can talk about it and get it out of my system.

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Starts the 17th of December according to good ol' google.

Even so it's highly unlikely. They know FFVII is big (bigger?) in the West, so the next showing is going to be in a Western venue. If it doesn't make it in PSX, then it won't be until E3 2018 at the earliest.

We aint getting anything from PSX. If there was going to be anything if the sort theyd have built it up a bit. Sony have been actively lowering expectations of this PSX.

They've dropped previous announcements with no hints or fanfare whatsoever. Square really likes surprising people with FF announcements.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
The only reason I remembered there is a FFVII remake coming is become I've been working on this anniversary video. They haven't said shit about that game in a long ass time.

Professor Beef

Official ResetEra™ Chao Puncher
Oct 25, 2017
The Digital World
I'd rather they keep working on it instead of constantly going "it's coming guys don't worry." It'll be ready when it's ready, no need to worry about it otherwise.

Oct 25, 2017
Rather than cry about the no-show of FFVIIR, I instead direct attention to Monster of the Deep being on sale: https://www.greenmangaming.com/cons...urce=CAG&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=cj

Has anyone played it? I'm really interested at the prospect of a VR fishing game where I hang out with my bros.

I sure did. Bought a PSVR for it. Here's a couple of my posts from the Monster of the Deep thread. It was a good experience over all. The feel of the 3D world in VR was surprisingly good. The fishing itself was mostly the same as in the main game though a little less fine tuned. Line durability works differently and the fish fights aren't nearly as long.

You don't really hang out with the bros much though. They have like, one mission each and Noctis has two missions and a tournament. It's mostly just Cindy showing up at your house every other mission to "fix your car" and then just stands there and makes quips about personal space if you get too close. She then makes sure to give you a good look at her ass as you leave for the next mission as she bends over some empty crates she seems very interested in.

Platinum get.
L3uRAVM.jpg

All I have left is to complete the rank 10 hunts.

I put together a complete list of all the fish in the game since nobody else on the internet seems to have done so yet.

1/28
Horned Bluegill
Chipped Bluegill
Hookhorn Bluegill
Lotus Bluegill

2/28
Lucian Catfish
King Catfish
Grim Catfish
Crag Barramundi

3/28
Dank Barramundi
Snakehead
Garnet Snakehead
Jade Snakehead

4/28
Alstor Bass
Alstor Bass (large variant)
Phoenix Bass
Redeye Bass

5/28
Lucian Carp
Dusk Lucian Carp
Duscaen Dace
Soggy Boot

6/28
Cactuar
Bronze Lucian Carp
Rainbow Trout
Rainbow Trout (large variant)

7/28
Bizarre Barramundi
Phantom Snakehead
Spiked Alstor Bass
Gold Lucian Carp

8/28
Silver Lucian Carp
Sunny Lucian Carp
Sunrise Lucian Carp
Cave Dace

9/28
Coeurl Dace
Seaweed
Cloudy Lucian Carp
Marble Lucian Carp

10/28
Amber Lucian Carp
King Trout
Leopard Trout
Glimmering Bluegill

11/28
Fan Bluegill
Shorthorn Bluegill
Butterfly Bluegill
Golden Catfish

12/28
Striped Catfish
Giant Catfish
Lurking Catfish
Vesper Gar

13/28
Pink Jade Gar
Spotted Devil Gar
Barbaric Gar
Vesper Barramundi

14/28
Sapphire Snakehead
Opal Snakehead
Panther Bass
Risorath Peacock Bass

15/28
Noble Arapaima
Regal Arapaima
Sunset Lucian Carp
Vesper Dace

16/28
Spotted Catfish
Dawn Lucian Carp
Specular Dace
Mud Dace

17/28
Pale Dace
Sandy Dace
Empty Can
Nebula Salmon

18/28
Wennath Salmon
Argus Salmon
Great Nebula Salmon
Cherrycomb Trout

19/28
Platinum Myrltrout
Cleigne Brown Trout
Cleigne Brown Trout (large variant)
Maiden Brook Trout

20/28
Callatein Brook Trout
Chrome Rainbow Trout
Lambent Trout
Morion Trout

21/28
River Dace
Wennath Dace
Regal Dace
Cascade Dace

22/28
Zipper Barramundi
Striped Barramundi
Rock Barramundi
Mighty Barramundi

23/28
Cygillan Sea Bass
Cygillan Sea Bass (large variant)
Lucinian Sea Bass
Dark Allural Sea Bass

24/28
Allural Sea Bass
Coral Allural Sea Bass
Copper Allural Sea Bass
Tide Grouper

25/28
Murk Grouper
Cygillan Grouper
Scorpion Grouper
Dread Grouper

26/28
Pigeon Grouper
Giant Travally
Giant Travally (large variant)
Galdin Travally

27/28
Reef Travally
Crimson Travally
Glowing Barrelfish
Red Barrelfish

28/28
Black Barrelfish
Seaweed

1/6
Horned Bluegill
Chipped Bluegill
Hookhorn Bluegill
Lotus Bluegill

2/6
Lucian Catfish
King Catfish
Grim Catfish
Crag Barramundi

3/6
Dank Barramundi
Snakehead
Garnet Snakehead
Jade Snakehead

4/6
Alstor Bass
Alstor Bass (large variant)Phoenix Bass
Redeye Bass

5/6
Lucian Carp
Dusk Lucian Carp
Duscaen Dace
Soggy Boot

6/6
Cactuar
Bronze Lucian Carp

1/6
Rainbow Trout
Rainbow Trout (large variant)
Horned Bluegill
Chipped Bluegill

2/6
Bizarre Barramundi
Phantom Snakehead
Alstor Bass

3/6
Spiked Alstor Bass
Gold Lucian Carp
Silver Lucian Carp
Sunny Lucian Carp

4/6
Sunrise Lucian Carp
Duscaen Dace
Cave Dace
Coeurl Dace

5/6
Seaweed
Cactuar
Cloudy Lucian Carp
Marble Lucian Carp

6/6
Amber Lucian Carp

1/8
King Trout
Leopard Trout
Horned Bluegill
Glimmering Bluegill

2/8
Fan Bluegill
Shorthorn Bluegill
Butterfly Bluegill
Lucian Catfish

3/8
Golden Catfish
Striped Catfish
Giant Catfish
Lurking Catfish

4/8
Vesper Gar
Pink Jade Gar
Spotted Devil Gar
Barbaric Gar

5/8
Dank Barramundi
Vesper Barramundi
Sapphire Snakehead
Opal Snakehead

6/8
Phoenix Bass
Panther Bass
Risorath Peacock Bass
Noble Arapaima

7/8
Regal Arapaima
Sunset Lucian Carp
Vesper Dace
Seaweed

8/8
Cactuar

1/4
Horned Bluegill
Golden Catfish
Spotted Catfish
Alstor Bass

2/4
Lucian Carp
Dawn Lucian Carp
Specular Dace

3/4
Mud Dace
Pale Dace
Sandy Dace
Empty Can

4/4
Soggy Boot

1/7
Zipper Barramundi
Striped Barramundi
Rock Barramundi
Mighty Barramundi

2/7
Cygillan Sea Bass
Cygillan Sea Bass (large variant)
Lucinian Sea Bass
Dark Allural Sea Bass

3/7
Allural Sea Bass
Coral Allural Sea Bass
Copper Allural Sea Bass
Tide Grouper

4/7
Murk Grouper
Cygillan Grouper
Scorpion Grouper
Dread Grouper

5/7
Pigeon Grouper
Giant Travally
Giant Travally (large variant)
Galdin Travally

6/7
Reef Travally
Crimson Travally
Glowing Barrelfish
Red Barrelfish

7/7
Black Barrelfish
Empty Can
Cactuar
Seaweed

1/6
Nebula Salmon
Wennath Salmon
Argus Salmon
Great Nebula Salmon

2/6
Cherrycomb Trout
Platinum Myrltrout
Cleigne Brown Trout
Cleigne Brown Trout (large variant)

3/6
Maiden Brook Trout
Callatein Brook Trout
Chrome Rainbow Trout
Lambent Trout

4/6
Morion Trout
Bronze Lucian Carp
Dusk Lucian Carp
River Dace

5/6
Specular Dace
Wennath Dace
Regal Dace
Cascade Dace

6/6
Empty Can
Cactuar

All possible fish except for carp should exist any time you enter an area. Carp seem to be a bit random and related to the time of day or weather. Day time themed carp names will appear during the day and vice versa. I did catch a Dusk Carp in sunny weather though. There are a few exceptions where hunt marks will replace certain fish so they won't exist.

RGcifEh.jpg

Just finished the final hunt and caught this 1,080 pound monster. The DS4 forces derpy arm positioning lol.

Done just about everything there is to do. I still have a bunch of clothes to buy, but tournaments are the only remaining way to make more gil now. I also have a ridiculous number of tickets, but I don't think I'm gonna bother with tournaments.

I think I have a pretty firm grasp of all the mechanics now. The UI is super glitchy and often doesn't show up properly. This can result in fish that are impossible to lose if you're lucky, or they'll get stuck right in front of you and either get away or eventually be caught when they jump. Most of the mechanics can be ignored for all fish that aren't whoppers.

You want to always be pulling in the direction the fish is facing. There will be yellow arrows pointing that way and it's safe to reel while they're up. You generally want to avoid reeling while the fish hasn't picked a direction yet and just focus on facing the correct way. For heavy fish like groupers, you'll notice that the arrows diminish if you reel quickly. Once all the arrows disappear it becomes a sparking yellow dot which will cause you to lose the fish if you're not careful. The resilience stat of your line helps you be able to endure this. Just being careful and reeling slowly though makes this easy to deal with. If the arrows aren't showing up, just pull and reel in the direction the fish is facing. This bug will usually render your line invincible while the UI is gone so take advantage of it.

If you aren't pulling in the correct direction, red sparks will appear. This can be very hard to avoid with fish that change directions quickly and frequently. The damage of this can be reduced with thicker lines, and protection from this is far more important than resilience. This means Super Baleen is by far the best line to use against all whoppers.

Reel and rod stats don't seem to matter much at all. Certain rods have different casting distances, so it may be convenient to use certain rods for easier casting at certain holes. I just stuck with the most expensive ones and they worked everywhere, though I did overcast a lot.

Last edited:

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I sure did. Bought a PSVR for it. Here's a couple of my posts from the Monster of the Deep thread. It was a good experience over all. The feel of the 3D world in VR was surprisingly good. The fishing itself was mostly the same as in the main game though a little less fine tuned. Line durability works differently and the fish fights aren't nearly as long.

You don't really hang out with the bros much though. They have like, one mission each and Noctis has two missions and a tournament. It's mostly just Cindy showing up at your house every other mission to "fix your car" and then just stands there and makes quips about personal space if you get too close. She then makes sure to give you a good look at her ass as you leave for the next mission as she bends over some empty crates she seems very interested in.

Thanks for the impressions.

It sounds fun, but I'll wait for a bigger discount. No Move support sours me a bit, hopefully they'll include it in an update.

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Finap Fantasy IX just got updated for the PS4!

Patch notes:
  • Adjusted display of various components (commands, HP parameters, Etc) in battle

• set background music to play In Stereo

• other various fixes
Can anyone check if they fixed the music bug? I can't right now. :(

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Finap Fantasy IX just got updated for the PS4!

Patch notes:
  • Adjusted display of various components (commands, HP parameters, Etc) in battle

• set background music to play In Stereo

• other various fixes
Can anyone check if they fixed the music bug? I can't right now. :(

Wow! Glad I haven't actually booted it up yet.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Will have to check it out later. Really didn't like the look of the battle UI, I hope the changes make it a bit better.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly the games that particularly need it, but VII and IX could have slightly crisper character models if they enabled Pro support xD

Keym

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not exactly the games that particularly need it, but VII and IX could have slightly crisper character models if they enabled Pro support xD
I'd rather have analog controls back in IX. I don't know what the heck they were thinking. :/

At least maybe this patch means they're somewhat working on the game..?

Nov 29, 2017
Beaufort SC
I have been waiting for a community for my favorite games growing up. I still find Shadow one of my favorite characters and learning that you could play as him in the second half of the game if you wait on the floating island long enough is still one of my favorite moments in gaming.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
I have a feeling my black mage is going to be a problem throughout my entire playthrough, should I start over and choose another job? I'm playing the first FF.

Jucksalbe

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The first Final Fantasy doesn't have rows. I think that was introduced in FF2. But the position of your character matters in FF1. Put weak characters in the bottom slot.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been replaying FFVII on PS4 the past few weeks.

How the fuck can a 20 year old game starring lego block chibis, be this fucking good? The game is astonishing me more than it ever has done before. It's like I'm seeing it in a whole new way and falling in love with it all over again. It's actually gone UP in my estimation and certain story beats which disappointed me before I'm actually ok with this time.

I first played it (and got into FF and JRPGs) in 2010, so I was quite late to the bandwagon considering I was of the PS1 generation. That year I played through the whole game twice such was my fondess of it, once on PSP and once on PS3.

Over the intevening years I've attempted many many replays on PSP, PS3 and Vita, but I usually don't get out of Midgar. I think on one occasion I got up to start of Disc 2 but didn't continue.

I'm now just about to enter the final act of Disc 1.

I can't wait to finish ot just so I can read all the analysis' of the game and listen to the podcast analysis' and video analysis'. Especially Tim Rogers.

I'm honestly speechless. In a year that has had some stellar stellar breadth of quality games (possibly my best gaming year of my life), I'm topping it all off with this and recency bias be damned, this tops ALL of them in feeling, in atmosphere, in depth.

I love this masterpiece, and Square Enix can take as long as they want with the remake, because I don't want them to fuck it up. It could be the PERFECT game.

I wish it would be made into a movie so non-gamers can enjoy the story, music and art too.

Games these days have all that voice acting, all those graphics, all of the sound. But they cannot touch the charm this has. I actually care about these characters and their individual stories. The dialogue is so on point, I'm much more aware and concious of these things than when I first played the game, and can tell how well done the locaisation is.

I'll stop now, because reading somebody waxing lyrical about FFVII is like saying the sky is blue.

Nov 21, 2017
Squall/Rinoa romance is pretty horrible. Zidane/Dagger and Tidus/Yuna are both far better.

I think one aspect of the game that was heavily implied, but not simply explained outright, was that sorceresses had high levels of influence / manipulation. Squall was pretty lukewarm over Rinoa until she inherited the sorceress powers from Edea. As soon as she entered a coma, Squall started acting pretty irrational; leaving the Garden to try and walk to Esthar on foot, risking everything in space when Rinoa is floating around and so on. Squall has to ask himself just what in the heck he's doing halfway to Esthar because he can't believe he's acting so out of character.

EfkUfpP.png

Seifer does a similar thing in Galbadia when Ultimecia / Edea meets him early on and he starts acting like her obedient knight / puppet for most of the game. Fujin basically spells this out towards the end when she realizes that Seifer's not been acting himself for a long time.

When Edea literally murders the President of Galbadia in front of everyone before giving a crazy speech, the people just keep cheering and partying. When Edea inherits the powers from Ultimecia, Cid is happy to turn a child orphanage into a camp for child soldiers, etc.

I always just assumed that sorceresses in the FF8 lore could just manipulate regular people to do whatever they wanted, even if it was just on a subconscious level; everyone just wants to please them in any way they can.

This is just my interpretation though, the story is a lot of fun because it has a lot of leeway. The rinoa = ultimecia theory was very popular even though I think it's not canon at all. It's an interesting idea to have main characters vulnerable to being manipulated to such a degree, FF7 had a similar thing going with Cloud and Jenova.

Last edited:

Ishiro

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Lebanon
I've been replaying FFVII on PS4 the past few weeks.

How the fuck can a 20 year old game starring lego block chibis, be this fucking good? The game is astonishing me more than it ever has done before. It's like I'm seeing it in a whole new way and falling in love with it all over again. It's actually gone UP in my estimation and certain story beats which disappointed me before I'm actually ok with this time.

I first played it (and got into FF and JRPGs) in 2010, so I was quite late to the bandwagon considering I was of the PS1 generation. That year I played through the whole game twice such was my fondess of it, once on PSP and once on PS3.

Over the intevening years I've attempted many many replays on PSP, PS3 and Vita, but I usually don't get out of Midgar. I think on one occasion I got up to start of Disc 2 but didn't continue.

I'm now just about to enter the final act of Disc 1.

I can't wait to finish ot just so I can read all the analysis' of the game and listen to the podcast analysis' and video analysis'. Especially Tim Rogers.

I'm honestly speechless. In a year that has had some stellar stellar breadth of quality games (possibly my best gaming year of my life), I'm topping it all off with this and recency bias be damned, this tops ALL of them in feeling, in atmosphere, in depth.

I love this masterpiece, and Square Enix can take as long as they want with the remake, because I don't want them to fuck it up. It could be the PERFECT game.

I wish it would be made into a movie so non-gamers can enjoy the story, music and art too.

Games these days have all that voice acting, all those graphics, all of the sound. But they cannot touch the charm this has. I actually care about these characters and their individual stories. The dialogue is so on point, I'm much more aware and concious of these things than when I first played the game, and can tell how well done the locaisation is.

I'll stop now, because reading somebody waxing lyrical about FFVII is like saying the sky is blue.

Great post. This game will never get enough praise, even at the risk of sounding un-original.

If you haven't done so already, I suggest reading this great retrospective by Polygon

We're all praying for the Remake.

Monogatari

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Great post. This game will never get enough praise, even at the risk of sounding un-original.

If you haven't done so already, I suggest reading this great retrospective by Polygon

We're all praying for the Remake.
Thanks. I will enjoy that article. It was actually this game that first got me into reading analysis' of games.

It feels weird for me to be nostalgic about the game. When I first played it, I felt a little bit like "I'm a bit late to this." Yet here I am being all nostalgic as if I played it back in 1997.

I really wish there would be an FF concert that focused on VII's music alone.

flyover

Oct 26, 2017
They didn't fix the music bug. The background music still restarts after every battle. :(

Same with the VII port. It's so dumb. If nothing else, I wish they'd take care of that (in both games). Unfortunately, it's near impossible to contact SE and feel like anyone's reading--much less would do anything about it.

I love posts like this. I can never get enough of reading why people enjoy these games.