• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

BlueBadger

Oct 26, 2017
I've played XI and 14 both the original and A Realm Reborn. I really don't consider those FF games, I don't care that they have a roman numeral after it. Even IX was slated to be a side project and later they tagged it as IX anyway. IX is absolutely an FF game, the MMOs, to me, are not.
To me, they definitely are FF games (as additions to the series). However, I don't tend to compare them much with the other games, nor do I ever list them in my rankings of favourite FF's, just because it's like comparing apples to oranges. They are so different, sure, but I still consider them FF games of a sort. I just don't rank them among the other non-MMO games.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Is FFXI mobile even still a thing?

I'm surprised SE haven't re-engineered the game into a single-player, offline version for the future. Baffling to me that a mainline FF can disappear once the servers are offline.

There's Grandmasters in Japan, but Nexon's been mostly silent about its XI mobile project, although apparently it still came up in a presentation of theirs some months ago, a logo among others.

I wish theyd have FFXIV help fund atleast one FFXI server and then have that be B2P when they stop developing content. It just feels like such a waste of history to get rid of it.

When XIV was originally released, there was a discounted joint subscription price for both XI and XIV - they could reinstate that in the very least, it comes up once in a while that some XIV players, once they've exausted the update contend of that game, play XI for a while.

And it's not like XI's profits haven't helped to fund XIV, considering XI was the most profitable FF at least back in 2012 or so.

Still, I'd be quite satisfied with a single-player adaptation for posterity - and they could practice with a single-player adaptation of XIV 1.x, it had some fun dialog and quests that are now seemingly gone forever (not all of them were in cutscenes one may find on Youtube).

To me, they definitely are FF games (as additions to the series). However, I don't tend to compare them much with the other games, nor do I ever list them in my rankings of favourite FF's, just because it's like comparing apples to oranges. They are so different, sure, but I still consider them FF games of a sort. I just don't rank them among the other non-MMO games.

All FFs are different to each other since II.

I and III use blank slate unnamed protagonists like XI and XIV later did. At least as far back as II the player party sometimes was assisted by other characters during specific story beats, that too happens in the MMOs, the difference being that these helpers tend to be the more established characters in the game, compared to the likes of Firion, Cecil and most FF protagonists since - which hasn't prevented some characters since then to be near blank slates, like Bartz in V.

Other than protagonist character arcs (NPCs tend to get those instead), another difference is that the structure can't be railroaded like X's pilgrimage or XIII's corridors - the whole world is always there, even if you can't access all of it early on, which means it's not uncommon for early game areas to become relevant at a later time.

And when it comes to the story, I have a pet theory that XI's online nature is reflected on the stories it tells.

Oct 25, 2017
All FFs are different to each other since II.

I see this a lot and I feel it's a bit disingenuous. Sure, there's been changes to the nuances of the battle systems, but all the main games I-IX shared very similar core design structure. To compare the differences with XV or the MMOs to the earlier games to something like IV switching to ATB is stretching hard. They're massively more significant design changes. Even X, which dropped the world map and significantly changed the exploration flow still shared basically everything else with the older games. It wasn't until XI that the series started trying to redefine itself with every entry.

It is hard to compare the MMOs to the other games gameplay wise because they're just a completely different monster. People tend to leave them out of lists for story, characters and music too though so......yeah.

Deleted member 419

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
World of Final Fantasy is coming to Steam this month - worth picking up?

I'm waffling on it because I've heard some good things, but at the same time I thought most of the cutscenes I watched on YouTube were kind of...mediocre? And I can't tell from gameplay footage if I'll like the combat or not.
It wasn't until XI that the series started trying to redefine itself with every entry.
I think the series has actively sought to redefine itself from VI onward, but X was where the redefining began to include the actual core gameplay mechanics. Before X, the ATB system kind of anchored everything together. Now that's gone and there's literally no connection other than arguably superficial things like mascots, Cid, and recurring music.

Not that I'm complaining though. I think I prefer every later battle system to ATB, except XV's.

Oct 25, 2017
I think the series has actively sought to redefine itself from VI onward, but X was where the redefining began to include the actual core gameplay mechanics. Before X, the ATB system kind of anchored everything together. Now that's gone and there's literally no connection other than arguably superficial things like mascots, Cid, and recurring music.

Not that I'm complaining though. I think I prefer every later battle system to ATB, except XV's.

Naw, I-III used turn based systems similar to X. In the end, the ATB seen in IV-IX is really just a different way to determine turn order that makes it a bit more active. On wait mode it's hardly different at all as an experience. I agree that the series has been trying to redefine itself setting wise since VI. "FF doesn't have to be medieval crystals fiends yadda yadda" and all that. Mechanically though it was XI that did the first major departure (X kinda did a half way step between classic and XII, but is closer to classic I think), then XII followed XI's world design philosophy and XIV still uses that type of design too. XIII did its own linear action game in an RPG shell thing and XV went WRPG open world style. Looking a just the offline games, we got 4 distinct core design styles, and the last 3 are each on the 3 most recent games.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
Well, Last Odyssey was the game that did almost everything the same as Final Fantasy VII - IX did in de PS3/360 era. And honestly, it felt old to me.

But maybe the game just didn't have the magic that Final Fantasy had.

Lost Odyssey's characters and narrative never clicked with me, but I found The Last Story to be a lot closer to the character-driven appeal of PSX FFs. In its overall structure and choice of setpieces, it brought up a lot of comparisons, while experimenting a fair bit with the gameplay structure and not feeling particularly outdated.

With several critical flaws remedied (mostly the rushed final act and one incredibly dumb plot twist, but doing something about the dullness of the protagonist and several conspicuous worldbuilding holes would be nice as well - in addition; the fact that while generally good, the soundtrack doesn't quite compare can't be ignored) it'd have been a great successor; but even as it is I'd say it's my favourite Mistwalker game.

Last edited:

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Well, Last Odyssey was the game that did almost everything the same as Final Fantasy VII - IX did in de PS3/360 era. And honestly, it felt old to me.

But maybe the game just didn't have the magic that Final Fantasy had.

If XII is not a true Final Fantasy game, then XV certainly isn't.

Yeah, I don't know what it is but LO didn't quite click with me. I saw the effort put into it, it had some unforgettable moments, good graphics, trying to do everything the FF games did, had lots of content etc. but it felt like a drag to play. The long loading times, slow downs, the game being too safe and not doing its own thing might have also played a part. It feels odd to think that way considering all it did. I'm hoping to give it a try in the future again and see if I still feel the same way, I already completed it with side content.

About your last point, that's why I think it's pointless to talk about a true FF. They're all FFs. Sure some are more different than others, but at the core FF is about being different and trying new things.

Just to be clear though, I haven't played FFXV yet because I don't have a PS4. I have followed all news, discussions, updates, read some spoilers and watched enough gameplay to get an idea of how the game was received. I can't wait to get a PS4 in the future and play the game when it's complete & discounted.

I see this a lot and I feel it's a bit disingenuous. Sure, there's been changes to the nuances of the battle systems, but all the main games I-IX shared very similar core design structure. To compare the differences with XV or the MMOs to the earlier games to something like IV switching to ATB is stretching hard. They're massively more significant design changes. Even X, which dropped the world map and significantly changed the exploration flow still shared basically everything else with the older games. It wasn't until XI that the series started trying to redefine itself with every entry.

It is hard to compare the MMOs to the other games gameplay wise because they're just a completely different monster. People tend to leave them out of lists for story, characters and music too though so......yeah.

As mentioned before, the jump from 2D to 3D was also a massive change that created different camps who hated it and loved it. I agree that others are more different and that we started noticing it more with the newer entries.

I unfortunately fall under the group who hasn't played the online entries. Not because I'm don't want to play something different but because of how absorbing they can be and having to pay monthly to keep playing. FFXIV looks so good :(

Yes, but it depends on your expectations. People have been raving about it (myself included) but it is a budget game at the end of the day. The game is cute and charming, the gameplay is very addictive with the whole Pokemon thing, make your monsters stronger, learn new abilities, evolve monsters etc. The 'dungeons' are not huge, they're mostly linear with puzzles thrown in, there are towns but you can't enter buildings etc.

If you're not expecting a big budget FF console like experience, then you're safe to give it a try.

Lost Odyssey's characters and narrative never clicked with me, but I found The Last Story to be a lot closer to the character-driven appeal of PSX FFs. In its overall structure and choice of setpieces, it brought up a lot of comparisons, while experimenting a fair bit with the gameplay structure and not feeling particularly outdated.

With several critical flaws remedied (mostly the rushed final act and one incredibly dumb plot twist, but doing something about the dullness of the protagonist and several conspicuous worldbuilding holes would be nice as well - in addition; the fact that while generally good, the soundtrack doesn't quite compare can't be ignored) it'd have been a great successor; but even as it is I'd say it's my favourite Mistwalker game.

This. I had a great time with LS and think it's the best MW game out of LO, BD and LS. It felt like a FF game, it had the soul but the gameplay was its own thing. The gameplay made it unique. It did have some flaws but it at least had a heart.

Deleted member 1102

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Anyone going to the Distant Worlds show in London tomorrow? I can't wait!

Yes I am! Been in London since Friday and managed to get into the Final Fantasy pop up store yesterday but unfortunately couldn't get in today (there were so many people there that they had to give raffle tickets out at random so that people could get in). If people want me to I'll post some pics I took of the store yesterday when I get home tomorrow.

Last edited:

kaytee

Oct 28, 2017
USA

I'm waffling on it because I've heard some good things, but at the same time I thought most of the cutscenes I watched on YouTube were kind of...mediocre? And I can't tell from gameplay footage if I'll like the combat or not.

I really didn't like it. If they'd leaned all the way into cute fanservice, I might've liked it more. I found the original characters to be completely obnoxious, and there was a lot of time spent with them. And a lot of... "humor." I will say, though, that I didn't make it too far into the game. I rented it to try it out and sent it back after deciding I wasn't going to sit through a bunch of stuff I didn't like for a few cameos. Maybe the original story stuff eases up later, but there were just so many cutscenes I cringed through in the beginning.

If you have the chance to try out the demo, I'd encourage you to. It's not the best demo ever, but it gives you an idea of what the combat is like which was pretty fun. If not, it might be a good idea to check out the beginning on YouTube to see how much you like the tone.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I know they eventually fixed the visual issue when the game is played on Pro consoles, but didn't World of FF never actually gain any Pro support?

I remember when the Pro was coming out and World of FF was listed as a game (along with XV) that was confirmed for Pro support.

Oct 25, 2017

If you like this video you'll like the game. If it makes you cringe, you won't like it,
and also have terrible taste.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I have so many FF cards from the TGC game. I picked up booster packs that featured Squall on the cover and managed to get every original characters portrait from VIII except Squall. At the very least I got Seifer and Rinoa who are also my favourites.

I debated having Kitase sign the Rinoa card when he was at PAX West this year but decided on having him sign my Gunblade prop instead which most of my friends encouraged. It was pretty funny when I walked up with the gunblade and asked for it to be signed and everyone at the table started laughing.

lSPF5Yf.jpg

This was my swag from everything including the signed prop. I was so excited to meet him and gush about VIII. Oh and no I did not just casually walk in with a gunblade I was genderbend cosplaying Squall.

I definitely encourage you to play it. It's incredibly charming and each title in the series(except XII which is DLC) receives a decent amount of representation and callbacks. I loved how the characters were written to match their original personalities but also given fun stories to grow from.

It's monster system is addicting to collect and level with the gameplay being classic ATB magic and attacks. The game isn't very difficult but I'm okay with that since it was to experience the world and story while collecting all of the monsters. The music features plenty of remixed classic tracks and they all sound fantastic. Anyone who is a fan of the series I highly recommend this game to. It was so good it made me want a sequel.

faircure

Oct 27, 2017

If you like this video you'll like the game. If it makes you cringe, you won't like it,

I've been overlooking woff because I didn't like the artstyle too much but this is so cute :') I'll look into getting a cheap vita copy sometime

I have so many FF cards from the TGC game. I picked up booster packs that featured Squall on the cover and managed to get every original characters portrait from VIII except Squall. At the very least I got Seifer and Rinoa who are also my favourites.

I debated having Kitase sign the Rinoa card when he was at PAX West this year but decided on having him sign my Gunblade prop instead which most of my friends encouraged. It was pretty funny when I walked up with the gunblade and asked for it to be signed and everyone at the table started laughing.

lSPF5Yf.jpg

This was my swag from everything including the signed prop. I was so excited to meet him and gush about VIII. Oh and no I did not just casually walk in with a gunblade I was genderbend cosplaying Squall.

Wow, that's all so cool! What's in the big FFVIII box?

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
I've been overlooking woff because I didn't like the artstyle too much but this is so cute :') I'll look into getting a cheap vita copy sometime

Wow, that's all so cool! What's in the big FFVIII box?
It's the PC version of VIII which I realized I didn't own. :P

Speaking of thing's I didn't own, I was finally able to grab myself a sealed copy of black label VIII a month ago. It does a have a bit of tear in the side which I knew when purchasing but everything else is completely packaged and has the official seal. With that I also grabbed myself the Seifer Kotobukiya 1/6 figure that is extremely well designed even though it's not moveable. I plan to grab Squall at some point too since I think they're the most accurate looking VIII figures.

Fou-Lu

Oct 25, 2017
I am really tempted to get into the FFTCG. I love card games and its based on the property I care about most in the world.

Encephalon

Oct 26, 2017
Japan
So apparently I'm going to distant worlds in Tokyo this December.

It's the PC version of VIII which I realized I didn't own. :P

Speaking of thing's I didn't own, I was finally able to grab myself a sealed copy of black label VIII a month ago. It does a have a bit of tear in the side which I knew when purchasing but everything else is completely packaged and has the official seal. With that I also grabbed myself the Seifer Kotobukiya 1/6 figure that is extremely well designed even though it's not moveable. I plan to grab Squall at some point too since I think they're the most accurate looking VIII figures.

My first copy of FFVIII was the PC version. VII too, which I swear had the "Aerith" romanization.

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
slides into thread FFXIII was a good game slides out of thread

i'm not really gone because that would be drive-by posting but I do mean that sincerely

Last edited:

shimon

Oct 25, 2017
slides into thread FFXIII was a good game slides out of thread

i'm not really gone because that would be drive-by posting but I do mean that sincerely
Agreed but I'm usually more of a combat/mechanics type of guy. Love the combat here but the rest is pretty meh. I do dislike Vanille though but that's mostly bc of English voice acting.

ArkhamFantasy

Oct 25, 2017
I platinum'd the XIII trilogy and i maintain that XIII is in the top half of mainline FF games. For me personally, its top 5.

RpgN

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

I'd say this scene was done better in Japanese. I don't regret playing the game in Japanese after watching this. It's not terrible but sometimes it feels awkward.

Aaaaaah, watching this video makes me want to continue with the game...I haven't touched it in months.

Vashetti

Oct 27, 2017
I know they eventually fixed the visual issue when the game is played on Pro consoles, but didn't World of FF never actually gain any Pro support?

I remember when the Pro was coming out and World of FF was listed as a game (along with XV) that was confirmed for Pro support.
Just an update to this, Liabe Brave concluded in the Pro enhancements thread that WoFF DOES have Pro support. The game renders at 1920x2160.

KushalaDaora

Oct 27, 2017
Digging up my laptop just to find a FFXV gif I made a while back.

eF6ji.gif

Despite the disappointing main story, I absolutely adore the four bros.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
Anybody else go to Distant Worlds last night in London?

Wasnt the Opera from FF6 awesome?

I was there. It was an amazing version. I am not a particularly fan of that song (it's too long) but I enjoyed it.

Liberi Fatali and Cosmo Canyon were my highlights. The One Winged Angel singalone at the end was great.

Did you visit the Pop up shop in Convent Garden?

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
I was there. It was an amazing version. I am not a particularly fan of that song (it's too long) but I enjoyed it.

Liberi Fatali and Cosmo Canyon were my highlights. The One Winged Angel singalone at the end was great.

Did you visit the Pop up shop in Convent Garden?

No, apparently it was a bit of a shitshow from what Ive read. All timeslots for the shop were gone within an hour of opening and there wasnt that much on offer either.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
No, apparently it was a bit of a shitshow from what Ive read. All timeslots for the shop were gone within an hour of opening and there wasnt that much on offer either.

I was there on the Friday, it opened at 10am. I got there at 10.15 and there was already 20 in the shop and the queue was three rows deep. The plan was when one goes out one goes in. That changed quickly as some looked like they planned to stay all day. I was in the queue for 2 hours and I seen someone leave with pink hair who I didn't see enter. So she was inside for over two hours.

They decided to change it to let 20 people in for 20 minutes to play some games etc.

The selection was limited but I still ended up with £125 of merchandise. I only wanted the exclusive cups but ended up with a lot. The cups were £10 each or 3 for £25 if you bought tea or coffee which in itself came in a 30th anniversary paper cup.

But the time I left it was 10 rows deep.

Ninja Kn1ght

Oct 25, 2017
It was lucky I went to the pop up store on Friday as soon as I got off the plane. I arrived at the store at about 3:30 and got in at 4:30. It was a great little experience with some beautiful concept art on display. I picked up the exclusive mugs, the rest of the merch was the usual stuff from the online store.

The Distant Worlds show itself was amazing. It was really special to see those classic pieces brought to life. So many great memories are tied to those songs. I loved Liber Fatali, Clash on the Big Bridge and Zanarkand. After the show I got to meet Uematsu and Arnie Roth for a quick signing session.

Lucreto

Oct 25, 2017
It was lucky I went to the pop up store on Friday as soon as I got off the plane. I arrived at the store at about 3:30 and got in at 4:30. It was a great little experience with some beautiful concept art on display. I picked up the exclusive mugs, the rest of the merch was the usual stuff from the online store.

The Distant Worlds show itself was amazing. It was really special to see those classic pieces brought to life. So many great memories are tied to those songs. I loved Liber Fatali, Clash on the Big Bridge and Zanarkand. After the show I got to meet Uematsu and Arnie Roth for a quick signing session.

I love the mugs. I grin every time I see my Cactuar one. I bought the merchandise as if I bought it online I would be charged an arm and a leg for shipping.

The VIP tickets went too quick for me but I got the second tier seats above the VIP seats.

Reanimatoin

Oct 26, 2017
Cleethorpes UK
Anyone from Distant Worlds either yesterday or today manage to pick up a No.2 of 10 dissidia card?

I got the rest and thats the only one I was missing. Ill trade you, either other dissidia card dupes I have or some dupes I have from the trading card game.

Desperate to have that full set to settle my ocd down lol

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Uploaded most of the photos I took of the pop-up store and Distant Worlds. I unfortunately missed some stuff from the pop-up store mainly because there was so much to see and it was really crowded (plus only being allowed in for 30 mins wasn't great either lol). I hope you guys like them!

https://imgur.com/a/1PKxt

Last edited:

Kitsunelaine

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I really hope that Distant Worlds does a New Zealand tour soon, because I really want to see it.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
Uploaded most of the photos I took of the pop-up store and Distant Worlds. I unfortunately missed some stuff from the pop-up store mainly because there was so much to see and it was really crowded (plus only being allowed in for 30 mins wasn't great either lol). I hope you guys like them!

https://imgur.com/a/1PKxt
Thanks for sharing these!

I wish it would come to BC or Seattle again since a it's close to me. I want to see the setup in person since it looks great.

So people were playing VII and VIII the most?

Deleted member 1102

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for sharing these!

I wish it would come to BC or Seattle again since a it's close to me. I want to see the setup in person since it looks great.

So people were playing VII and VIII the most?

The games being playable was a complete surprise to me and was easily my favourite part of the whole store. Seeing all the main 15 games in the series right next to each like that was amazing. VIII was easily the one I saw get played the most. Both me and my friend played it, I saw two other people play and three of the staff in the store were gathered around it at one point and looking at the screen. VII also might have been popular as well as my friend told me it was completely broken and unplayable, but I don't know for sure lol. Only other games I saw get played was IV and I think VI had someone on it at some point. It's a bit hard to say for sure though what was actually popular as most people in the store were queuing up for merchandise or free drinks that came in a cup with the 30th anniversary logo on them.

Last edited:

AdvancedWind

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Speaking about XI, I reactivated my account for another attempt this weekend. Last time I tried was 2012, to play between FFXIV 1.0 and ARR release, and I just couldn't. Got to level 17 farming skeletons in some random cave somehow worse than 1.0 guildleves and never came back.

So on a whim this weekend, nothing to play, thought I could give it another chance and damn. Everything I hated about the game is still there, but it seems SE went HARD on making the game easier to navigate and level up and I gotta admit it worked on me. Trust system is serviceable, allows you to do stuff alone, but the requirement to start a battle with a melee attack is the most stupid thing I've seen, yeah Square, I wanna smack a dude with my staff as a BLM just so these NPCs will actually engage. Still, it works, I guess. The Records of Eminence system, however, is perfect for getting those levels and rewards trickling in, that delicious, addictive sense of getting bars filled. First time rewards are great too, and that coupled with sparks makes gearing as a new player a breeze. Except making money, at least they gave you several different storage systems so I guess I don't mind the 30 slot bag. I just want to do the main story as far as I can solo + trust anyways, so I can manage the inventory.

Then there's the teleports everywhere. It seems in these 5 years the game went from extremely hard to navigate to even easier than XIV. There's a billion crystals on the cities, then there's survival books everywhere, and then you can even use the wanted monster system as a teleport. I understand this takes a lot of what made the game special for many, years ago, but I think as a means to simplify things both for the old timers and whatever new players that come in it makes perfect sense. I played until 2 AM saturday then had to force myself to stop today 10PM because of work, it's been a while a game hooked me in so much, and really, I'm playing it as a worse FFXII basically.

That said I cannot imagine how the old timers had the patience to unlock Treasures of Aht Urhgan. Dude gives you 4 options, all include you beating your head into a wall until you get the itens, reminded me of Xenoblade X's bs robot related quests. Choose the garrison trigger itens from strongholds and gotta say FFXI beast strongholds are so much better than XIV but farming stuff is always a pain. I'm just glad I figured out I can pull the Quadav from high ground instead of navigating into the dungeon. As far as I understand I could unlock it a lot easier with a Rhapsodies quest but I want Blue Mage now, not later.

TL;DR: Go play Final Fantasy XI.

Last edited:

Meows

Oct 28, 2017

lSPF5Yf.jpg

Awesome collection and sweet gunblade. You just reminded me that I used to own a collection of Triple Triad cards back in the day from a random store in Minnesota. It was one of the happiest days of my life. I still have all the action figures (minus Seifer) my parents bought for me for Christmas when I was seven. I really want to replay this game but I kinda want to wait for it come out on PS4.. hm. To wait or not to wait?

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Except making money, at least they gave you several different storage systems so I guess I don't mind the 30 slot bag. I just want to do the main story as far as I can solo + trust anyways, so I can manage the inventory.

There are a bunch of option to help manage and expand your inventory nowadays:
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Inventory_101

You'll want to tackle the Gobbiebag quests, and the enhancements from those will extend to all your portable inventory options.

That said I cannot imagine how the old timers had the patience to unlock Treasures of Aht Urhgan. Dude gives you 4 options, all include you beating your head into a wall until you get the itens, reminded me of Xenoblade X's bs robot related quests. Choose the garrison trigger itens from strongholds and gotta say FFXI beast strongholds are so much better than XIV but farming stuff is always a pain. I'm just glad I figured out I can pull the Quadav from high ground instead of navigating into the dungeon. As far as I understand I could unlock it a lot easier with a Rhapsodies quest but I want Blue Mage now, not later.

For drops, I cannot recommend checking ffxidb.com enough - for any given item it'll tell if you if drops off mobs, where you can find those mobs (both in which areas, and it'll point their locations in the maps in their respective pages), and the probabilities of the drop, with and without Thief's Treasure Hunter skill.

Also, have fun with blue mage - hunting its spells should double nicely as a way to level up while expanding your options, and as a way to encourage you to explore the game world. Back when I levelled it the EXP was slower, but nowadays getting the spells for each level should be enough to get to the following levels, especially if you're using Records of Eminence and Fields/Grounds of Valor books for the corresponding zones.

The way that job allows one to customize as spell set and gain passive skills based on spell combinations, which in turn allows one to adapt to specific enemy types, is one of my favorite things about it, a system that could almost support its separate game, especially when you take into account XI's elemental and creature correlation/affinity systems.

AdvancedWind

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
There are a bunch of option to help manage and expand your inventory nowadays:
https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Inventory_101

You'll want to tackle the Gobbiebag quests, and the enhancements from those will extend to all your portable inventory options.

I've been using all those extra house bags, gear intentories and so on, and vendoring pretty much anything after checking if it isn't going to be used in a future quest I might do. As for the gobbiebag, I have 60k gil and that's pretty much what I need to spend to get the first upgrade, so that's a bit out of question right now. Also why I'm changing from BLM to BLU, no need to purchase expensive spells (and works better with trusts).

Well, that and the fact that FFXI BLU is, at least on paper, the best BLU system in the entire series, but I'm sure I'll change my mind after trying to make NMs pop for a spell or something like that.

By the way, is it a good idea getting THF as a sub for treasure hunter trait or the trouble of getting it to 30 just for the occasional farm not worth the effect?

Edit: Nah, seems much better to get Nanaa Mihgo as a trust, she comes with treasure hunter.

Last edited:

Leandras

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
After finishing 13 for the first time I was convinced it was the second best game in the series. But now that time has passed I'd put it next to 10 as average. By no means a bad game but also not a great entry. I think my love for it was mostly the surprise of discovering that one of the most hated games in the series is actually an enjoyable experience.

I strangely liked Vanille tho. And Sahz stole the show. Shame he was mostly thrown to the side in the latter half tho.

Hope on the other hand was a terrible character and the way Lightning dealt with his situation was bad aswell.

If you find out the 13yo boy wants to kill your sisters fiance you take the freaking knife back.

Loona

Oct 29, 2017
Well, that and the fact that FFXI BLU is, at least on paper, the best BLU system in the entire series, but I'm sure I'll change my mind after trying to make NMs pop for a spell or something like that.

Most NM-only spells tend to go under the Unbridled Learning category, which limits their use anyway, and out of those, Mighty Guard is the one that's really nice to have - only 2 fights provide that, but you'll go through them if you're into story completion, the Shinryu fight at the end of Abyssea, and its counterpart near the end of Rhapsodies (where I got it).

Most other spells won't be nearly as annoying, although they may involve some out-of-the-way travelling.

Still, there's some charm in the discoveries one can make when hunting for the full collection - for example, I recall once being in a party that was levelling off imps in this part of Caedarva Mire, Hediva Isle, that involved quite a trip through Alzadaal Undersea Ruins to reach. Back then I wondered what was the point of such a place, filled with high-level demons (imps and soulflayers) with True Sight. It turns out that was where Khimaira, one of the 3 Aht Urghan "kings" spawns. I can only imagine the amount of links, deaths and fights it took back in the level 75 cap days to get a full alliance safely to the Khimaira camp...
then of course, as a level 99 BLU with Trusts that's trivial, but there's still the challenge of getting the spell while not landing critical hits, so at to not break the khimaira's wings, preventing it from using the very move you're trying to learn.

By the way, is it a good idea getting THF as a sub for treasure hunter trait or the trouble of getting it to 30 just for the occasional farm not worth the effect?

Edit: Nah, seems much better to get Nanaa Mihgo as a trust, she comes with treasure hunter.

AFAIK the Trusts with Treasure Hunter only have 1 level of that, while you can get up to level 2 by having Thief as a subjob: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Treasure_Hunter - not to mention you can bump that further with some items, but that may be an additional level of effort.

While on the topic of XI, someone bothered the record the final battle's arena without actually fighting, meaning one can just enjoy the music and the scenery and character flashbacks that are projected in the arena - quite the "life flashing before your eyes" moment for the game, so say nothing of the wistful parting tone of the music itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xXIkm0W5_c

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Oh my gosh, I literally just got the Zodiac Spear in Henne Mines (FFXII Zodiac Age). The 1% chance chest. I NEVER get lucky like that in games. I actually walked by it the first time, but when running back to zone I somehow saw it and was shocked when I got the spear.

Also, are the abysteels still the go-to grinding method? It was honestly a chore to grind in the original. Part of the reason I never completed all the content in the OG game is that around level 70 it took FOREVER to grind. The speed up in this version should help with that, at least.

Wazzy

Oct 25, 2017
The games being playable was a complete surprise to me and was easily my favourite part of the whole store. Seeing all the main 15 games in the series right next to each like that was amazing. VIII was easily the one I saw get played the most. Both me and my friend played it, I saw two other people play and three of the staff in the store were gathered around it at one point and looking at the screen. VII also might have been popular as well as my friend told me it was completely broken and unplayable, but I don't know for sure lol. Only other games I saw get played was IV and I think VI had someone on it at some point. It's a bit hard to say for sure though what was actually popular as most people in the store were queuing up for merchandise or free drinks that came in a cup with the 30th anniversary logo on them.
The setup looks wonderful so I can only imagine how nice it would have been to see in person though I'm annoyed they used all Dissidia designs for the booths but I'll let that slide for how awesome everything else is. :P

I don't think it's some major sign of anything especially since we all know X is extremely popular but it does show that VIII is a popular choice even if we aren't sure where it exactly would rank popularity wise. I've always felt it would be 4 or 5 in the series with how big it's fanbase is.

Awesome collection and sweet gunblade. You just reminded me that I used to own a collection of Triple Triad cards back in the day from a random store in Minnesota. It was one of the happiest days of my life. I still have all the action figures (minus Seifer) my parents bought for me for Christmas when I was seven. I really want to replay this game but I kinda want to wait for it come out on PS4.. hm. To wait or not to wait?
Thanks!

I've seen the Triple Triad cards before(binders of them) but there's so many merchandise options for VIII that I've ignored them for now. Did you have the whole set? I can't ever recall an option to pick them up in Canada but maybe it was due to being that rare back then.

It's been my struggle for awhile. I keep wanting to go and replay it(I've done it so many times) but also kind of want to hold off for PS4 version whenever it get's announced. The problem is we have no idea when that could be.

AdvancedWind

Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
AFAIK the Trusts with Treasure Hunter only have 1 level of that, while you can get up to level 2 by having Thief as a subjob: https://www.bg-wiki.com/bg/Treasure_Hunter - not to mention you can bump that further with some items, but that may be an additional level of effort.

While on the topic of XI, someone bothered the record the final battle's arena without actually fighting, meaning one can just enjoy the music and the scenery and character flashbacks that are projected in the arena - quite the "life flashing before your eyes" moment for the game, so say nothing of the wistful parting tone of the music itself: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xXIkm0W5_c

I'd have to level THF to 90 to get treasure hunter II as a subjob, wouldn't I? If I get that far in the game I might consider that, but certainly THF trust now is waaaaay less work =P.