• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Henry Jones Jr

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Glad they finally released another of these on PS4, but a little miffed that they skipped FF8.

I'm playing through for only my second time (first time since the year it was originally released) and it looks great! I'm only a few hours in and am looking forward to seeing it all again as I'm sure there's a ton I've forgotten at this point. Haven't forgotten about that optional orb boss thing at the end. Don't think I'll be doing that again because I remember it being a Major Payne.

Here's hoping it sold well enough that they put out FF8 and Chrono Cross soon! (A little wishful thinking on that second one)

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it took a while to download so I didn't post them but it's done now.
  • Adjusted display of various components (commands, HP parameters, etc.) in battle.
  • Set background music to play in stereo.
  • Other various fixes.

I still haven't played the PS4 version but what was wrong the commands, HP parameters, etc etc?

Chaserjoey

Keeper of the White Materia
Oct 27, 2017
Old?

DNvSU0oWsAALm-B

New?

DQ5KoQ6V4AAngO5

Last edited:

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, that's a considerable improvement (though it's slightly bothering me how they made the ATB/Trance bars thinner too and they don't overlap anymore)! The PS1 version still has the GOAT UI though.
By the way, did they add proper analog movement back in?

Last edited:

McDomination

Banned
Dec 6, 2017
This was a nice little surprise! I just started playing last week and was a little annoyed by how much real estate that menu took up.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
No word on the music fix yet in this patch? Been holding offf buying because of that.

Give me the green light please. :)

Jubern

Oct 25, 2017
I finished this some time ago and it was a great blast from the past. FFIX is my personal favourite but it must had been 10 years or so since I last finished it.

I just wish they fixed digital controls, by far my biggest beef, and the music resetting.
Everything else I can live with but these two...

I'm not holding out for any improvement that's technical (higher battle FPS) or graphical (higher rez backgrounds - won't ever happen), I suppose there are legacy problems, but I live for QOL improvements.

Byvar

Oct 26, 2017
So I was curious about the update and tested it. The stereo background music is a very welcome fix, as is the battle menu, but the game is still unplayable for me due to the fact that the analog control that the original had is still missing from this version, and there is a huge (~0.3s I'd say) input delay on everything. Even when just pressing Options to pause the game, it only pauses after the delay. This is on a standard PS4, and none of the ~20 other games I have do this. I wish Sony would just make the PS1 classic available, as that is by far the better version, but as there are no PS1 classics I guess they just don't want my money (or anyone else's).

(Best FF though.)

Last edited:

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
I have a bit of an odd question. Does the reward from the jump roping mini game tie into any other trophies besides the two jump roping ones? I spent ages getting it, but I'd like to start over because I missed some things and I'm not too far into the game. I just don't want to start over if I'd have to do the jump roping again just to get an item for a later trophy.

Saphirax

Oct 25, 2017
I have a bit of an odd question. Does the reward from the jump roping mini game tie into any other trophies besides the two jump roping ones? I spent ages getting it, but I'd like to start over because I missed some things and I'm not too far into the game. I just don't want to start over if I'd have to do the jump roping again just to get an item for a later trophy.

Nope.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Is this still a good game today? Does it hold up? Is it still worth playing for someone who has never touched it before like... um, me? :p

Balbanes

Oct 25, 2017
Man, I know trophies don't really matter but trying to get all the trophies really makes this game start like a wet fart. First was the jump roping, now I'm trying to get 100 out of 100 for the sword fighting scene. I've gotten 98, 97 and 99 all in a row.

edit: Make that two 99s in a row.
edit2: Make that three 99s in a row. What is it with Square always including crappy minigames in their games.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
Is this still a good game today? Does it hold up? Is it still worth playing for someone who has never touched it before like... um, me? :p

YMMV but as far as I'm concerned, it absolutely holds up and is the finest game in the classic Final Fantasy lineup. The characters are still charming people you want to root for, the gameplay holds up despite its reliance on outdated concepts like random battles, and it's still pretty despite muddy PSX-era textures and NPC character models.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
YMMV but as far as I'm concerned, it absolutely holds up and is the finest game in the classic Final Fantasy lineup. The characters are still charming people you want to root for, the gameplay holds up despite its reliance on outdated concepts like random battles, and it's still pretty despite muddy PSX-era textures and NPC character models.
Thx, dude. Yeah, I'm probably going to check it out. I've just heard too many great things about FF9 over the years not to. Also, I liked OG FF7 on PS4 (my first time playing that too; I was an N64 kid growing up) so chances are this will float my boat.

Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Looked at the trophy list to see if Square is sardonic enough to include an Excalibur II trophy and sure enough, it is there.

Also, F that jumprope trophy.
With the fast forward and 9,999 attack toggles this trophy isn't hard to get on a quick cheesy second playthrough.

Jump rope though: fuck whoever came up with that idea.

Oct 25, 2017
It's criminal how barebones these ports,7 and 9, are. Like why not let me have faster battles but regular world speed? Why can't I have 2x instead of 3x? I find it unplayable that fast. Why are the menus etc so janky looking ?(mobile port I know) why no save states?

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
It's criminal how barebones these ports,7 and 9, are. Like why not let me have faster battles but regular world speed? Why can't I have 2x instead of 3x? I find it unplayable that fast. Why are the menus etc so janky looking ?(mobile port I know) why no save states?

A "barebones" port would have used all the same assets from the PSX version. They re-modeled and re-skinned all the important characters, filtered the backgrounds, added a mode to disable the battle camera (which makes battles go far faster without using the fast forward), remastered the FMVs, redrew all the icons in the game at high res, and added cheats and cloud saves. The menus don't look that "janky", and they've been improved in patches.

Jan 11, 2018

1.02 Patch Notes
-- Adjusted background music to resume where it left off when paused for battles or Tetra Master.
-- Fixed issue causing players to get stuck on the world map.
-- Fixed other minor bugs.

Analogue movement next?

Jan 11, 2018
Better late than never. If only they could add analogue movement, button remapping and multiplayer (less important) back into the game, and update the backgrounds (either using the AI enhancement technology or just adding a filter option to use the untouched backgrounds) this would be ready for the ultimate disc release.