• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Turtle Shells being rare steals is going to mess me up. Going to try without them but I probably need them for Gilgamesh.

Oct 27, 2017
Got to the merged world today. Went through all the important things for my classes. Ready for the void tomorrow. Could probably beat exdeath now. Definitely want to beat Omega and Shinryu this run though. Should be very possible with knight with full power brave blade, black mage with magus rod and flare, thief, bard

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Got Beastmaster as my third job. Not used one in a Fiesta before, I'm aware of Control stuff but might have to look into the catch/release system.

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
So my second job is Red Mage. Monk/Red Mage actually seems pretty okay for the early parts of the game. We'll see how it goes later on.

Last edited:

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
Need help with some clarifications, I registered as natural and forbidden run and got assigned Time Mage for wind and Mystic Knight for water.

I have two water crytal jobs assigned does that mean only Lenna can use these jobs?

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
I think I may have made a mistake. I chose a Normal run, but then I also added "Fifth Job".

It seems like this option may be intended for Natural runs. Do I just stop using the original earth crystal job and start using the second after I get Kryle? Are the others still allowed to use the abilities they've mastered from the first job?

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm here finishing games I had been playing in June as fast as possible so I can dedicate myself to FF5

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think I may have made a mistake. I chose a Normal run, but then I also added "Fifth Job".

It seems like this option may be intended for Natural runs. Do I just stop using the original earth crystal job and start using the second after I get Kryle? Are the others still allowed to use the abilities they've mastered from the first job?

5th job works with anything. You just entirely replace your Earth job with the new one, as if you never had the previous Earth job.

vic viper

Dec 27, 2017
Whew. Finally got aeroga and the air knife for blue mage party. Extremely nice damage upgrade considering I got blue for my last job. I was struggling for a while, ended up killing atomos with Rod spam

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The Turtle Shell grind was painful, but I stole 10 of them. Bridge Gilgamesh would be an exercise in frustration otherwise.

Got to level 10 on some last second ability grinding in W1 against Nutkins and Skull Eaters.

Berserker Galuf (still Lv9) dodged his way through Gilgamesh. Gaia Hammer helped since that activating saved a turn or two.

Fumbled my first go against Bridge Gilgamesh. Forgot to set row, forgot to equip Mix. Just nothing was right. Second go I didn't get Mute off in time but still pulled off a win because Drain Kiss is stupid.

Not really anything between that and Bal Castle. The only boss dies to a Phoenix Down.

Routing W2.

Dragon Pod and Boat Gilgamesh should go down to instant death.

Atomos should just be a matter of spamming Comet and letting the Berserker use the Gaia Hammer, boosted by !Time. So I probably want to get Time4 on everyone in Bal Castle. Will probably get a few levels in the process putting me at 12-13.

Crystals die to death potions, which means I need to steal some dark matters. More fun with rare steals, I guess. Zombie Dragons have them.

Exdeath. I guess this will heavily depend on what my Chemist gets replaced with due to Fifth Job. It will most likely be the most challenging boss for the rest of the game and determine what level I beat the game at.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England
Fourth job =D I got the Chemist. Which made me really happy because I've always gone with Samurai and Dragoon in my normal playthroughs. So now I have a natural run with:

Black Mage
Red Mage
Beastmaster
Chemist

I feel like the Red Mage is going to make life progressively harder now that I'm starting W2. She really feels like she's hitting a wall already and needs a new job to support her role =P

Oct 27, 2017
Welp. I finished the game with Knight, Bard, Black Mage, Thief. I even beat both Omega and Shinryu. Honestly was way too easy. Might try another run on the Steam version instead of the GBA

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Current W2 route has me getting my 5th job at level 13 (Galuf may still be 12). If I skip the Gold Hairpin I can get there at 12, but I don't think it's worth skipping. More likely than not I'll have to grind for Exdeath, and I can't go back for the hairpin if I have to level up anyway.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Go the second crystal now entering the fire ship, Blue Mage is stupid good in the early game.

I'm playing this on the advance version, does anyone know how to run from fights? I really need to start grinding fleeings so i can use the chicken knife yet i don't know how, any help?

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Go the second crystal now entering the fire ship, Blue Mage is stupid good in the early game.

I'm playing this on the advance version, does anyone know how to run from fights? I really need to start grinding fleeings so i can use the chicken knife yet i don't know how, any help?

Blue Mage stays stupid good through the final boss. You've barely seen a fraction of their utility.

R+L to run.

Reached the end of my W2 route. Level 13, at Exdeath's Castle. Lost Chemist, gained Mystic Knight. Now to figure out Exdeath...

I guess all I can do is progress and see how things go. Give everyone a reflect ring and an evasion item (Shield or Main Gauche) and hope for the best. If Zombie Breath is too strong or evasion isn't effective enough, level up. It was barely doable at 15 and that was with a Summoner and Golem, this will be even tougher.

Last edited:

Synohan

Oct 25, 2017

L+R

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Currently have White Mage, Red Mage, and Ranger in a Natural run. Anyone have any advice on how many of the elemental rods I should try to stockpile before I move on to W2 and beyond, for when Red Mage damage goes into the toilet?

JC Lately

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Damn, my timeline is overflowing with #victory already, and people here are on the merged world, and here I am just barely passing the Library of the Ancients. Black Mage/Red Mage and just got Bard, though I don't have the shard for it yet.

1000 Needles

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Looks like I'll be have to abandon my first run/restart it. Got the adamantite, upgraded the airship - and it straight up won't ascend to the flying ruins. I just land every time I try. Yay for game breaking glitches.

Edit: got it to work! Hurrah, no need to restart

Last edited:

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Knight/White Mage/Beastmaster/Bard is my party. Pretty solid, should be an unremarkable run.

zyxwvu4321

Oct 25, 2017
Ha, called it. Chemist from the Earth Crystal.

Final Party: Black Mage, Summoner, Bard, Chemist. Time to do DAMAGE.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SHIT I beat Exdeath at level 13. On my first try.

Holy shit.

I sat there in disbelief on the victory screen for like 3 minutes.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
I was a slightly bit disappointed in the last few hours since I was expecting quite a challenge for my first attempt at this but my Monk / Summoner / Geomancer / Samurai combo has been able to utterly destroy any boss in a single turn so far.

But now I'm in the third world, past the pyramid, and the game is challenging again. First time I'm playing an FF game without any useful healing skill whatsoever.... That's quite a change of pace!

Still, with gill toss + summon for everyone, I think I lucked out. It shouldn't take me too long to beat the game at this point.

HOLY SHIT I beat Exdeath at level 13. On my first try.

Holy shit.

I sat there in disbelief on the victory screen for like 3 minutes.
Hah, congrats!

Perhaps I'll get there in 5 years or so :)

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Still can't get to run from battles, but i got all i wanted from Karnak castle regardless.

Got done with the big bridge today, always a joy to play through that set piece, one of my favorite moments in the entire FF franchise

ff5jf_gilgamesh3.png

Pictured: Gilgamesh before getting one shot by the berserker with death sickle

Its a Shame that Blue magic will be a constant in 3 of my characters, dammit Berserk why must you suck so!

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I was a slightly bit disappointed in the last few hours since I was expecting quite a challenge for my first attempt at this but my Monk / Summoner / Geomancer / Samurai combo has been able to utterly destroy any boss in a single turn so far.

But now I'm in the third world, past the pyramid, and the game is challenging again. First time I'm playing an FF game without any useful healing skill whatsoever.... That's quite a change of pace!

Still, with gill toss + summon for everyone, I think I lucked out. It shouldn't take me too long to beat the game at this point.

Hah, congrats!

Perhaps I'll get there in 5 years or so :)
Samurai and summoner are two of the best jobs in the game, so no real surprise there. Geomancer and monk are pretty iffy, but since you can just put gil toss or summon on them if you want they're still able to contribute

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Have the rest of the game roughly routed. Twintania might be a roadblock, which is an incredibly rare occurance. I'll have to see how much damage Wind Slash does, hopefully it isn't a party wipe. If Mystic Knight Bartz (365HP!) can survive it I'm good. If not I might have to farm for Aegis activations.

Apanda is going to be pretty wild too, Wonder Wand berserk and set slow, then hope I can dodge everything with Mirage Vests and evasion equipment.

Necrophobe maaaay be a pass. Main problem is just going to be surviving his onslaught of double physical attacks. Certainly doable in theory, but I'm afraid of how luck-based it might turn out.

Final boss should actually be very easy. And nothing in W3 or the rift should be as bad as W2 Exdeath, I'm still shocked I not only beat it, but did it in one try that was intended to be experimental.

Last edited:

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
got to the void, my only good job (mystic knight) got voided. Guess I'm stuck with two dragoons, a monk, and an oracle D:

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Just finished Fork Tower.
It wasn't particularly difficult but I imagine those bosses might be a pain if your party is unbalanced.

Also... This game is way longer than I thought! I never beat it but got to the third world several times in the past. But every time I thought I was much closer to the final confrontation than I actually was.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Fork Tower.
It wasn't particularly difficult but I imagine those bosses might be a pain if your party is unbalanced.

Also... This game is way longer than I thought! I never beat it but got to the third world several times in the past. But every time I thought I was much closer to the final confrontation than I actually was.

Everything after the Pyramid is technically optional. With a lot of job combinations all I do after that is grab a few legendary weapons, shop at Phantom Village, and go to the final dungeon.

I routed up to Fork Tower for this run for Flare spellblade. Skipping the trench and meteor despite having a time mage.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
will try asking here too:

I've never played FFV all the way through and it's on sale as part of the Steam Summer madness. besides the absolutely awful graphics and mobile-looking interface, is the game itself in good shape? basically the same as the original? no messed up mechanics or anything like that? would love to give the game another shot before Octopath drops. might give me reason to love turn-based combat again (not been feeling it lately).

EDIT: nvm. looks like this has been answered. will have to see if there's a way to mod the graphics.

Sgt. Demblant

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
France
Everything after the Pyramid is technically optional. With a lot of job combinations all I do after that is grab a few legendary weapons, shop at Phantom Village, and go to the final dungeon.

I routed up to Fork Tower for this run for Flare spellblade. Skipping the trench and meteor despite having a time mage.
Ah yeah, it seemed like that was optional but I have a completist brain.
I've heard about the phantom village but haven't found it yet. I'll put that on my list of objectives to complete before I beat the game.

hammurabi

Oct 27, 2017
So I Just got to Bal castle.

My jobs are: Monk, Red Mage, Ninja, Dragoon.

Red Mage has become less useful in the second world, but so far it hasn't been too bad. Gigamesh on the Big Bridge was probably the hardest battle so far.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got to neo exdeath, oracle is actually putting in work once I found out how to abuse the predict system. Gonna grind more though and get more phoenix downs since I hit a wall

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Nearly done in W3 and ready to move to the Rift. Need to grind 27 Gel Fish encounters and that should get my ABP set for the rest of the game. Mostly to get Time6 on one character and Time5 on another.

None of the pre-rift boss encounters were problematic. Gargoyles are vulnerable to basically everything a time mage can throw at them, so slow/stop can keep them from reviving each other.

Melusine was basically the same strat, hit her with slow, spam stop, let the mystic knight do the heavy lifting with Firaga spellblade.

Wendigo was a matter of putting all four targets to sleep with Sleep spellblade, then spamming comet while it snoozed.

Minotaur's all-physical onslaught made him a testbed for the evasion strat that will be necessary against berserk Apanda and Necrophobe (if I fight it). Apart from the Berserker choosing to evade nothing despite having an Ice Shield and Elven Mantle, it went very smoothly.

Omniscient is silly, reflect ring, old->slow->spam comet, he can't do anything. His one damaging attack, drain, was still not enough to kill a level 13 time mage with like 235HP. I tried to remove his shell status with the judgement staff, but he counters that. So I tried again when he reflected stop onto himself, still countered. Gave that up.

Feeling fairly confident in most of my rift boss strats. Necrophobe is still scary due to the double physicals, Twintania less so, and Azulmagia is a little scary if only because I don't have a legit strat beyond "don't die." He's usually not terribly destructive so I'm hoping for the best.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
So my current party is: White Mage, Time Mage, Geomancer, and Dancer and I think I've hit a bit of a road block.

I'm at Atomos and I for the life of me can't figure out how the shit I'm suppose to kill this fucker with the classes I've got. Comet 1 shots anyone on my team and he casts it twice so at times I'm losing half of my team right when I revive them. On top of that because they die so quickly I can't get buffs out on anyone and Atomos seems to be immune to any sort of debuff I can place on it (apparently Sleep works but I don't have a character who can cast that) and besides that dealing damage isn't exactly easy. I can cast Comet on it but I've hit it for anywhere from 300 damage to 1k damage (and maybe a bit more), Gaia is a crapshoot, one attack will do 200 damage another will do around 700 but a third will do nothing, I even tried breaking some rods but at best I was doing about 800 damage that way but thats barely better then what I can pull off with my time mages casting comet. Part of the problem is that I spend so much time trying to revive people I can't deal anywhere near enough damage before he starts sucking people in and eventually just get overwhelmed either by the damage or the time limit to where he sucks up my party. 20K hp is rough.

I decided to check out the FJF guide that was linked before and it seems as though the best strat is to keep someone dead while Atomos sucks them in and then revive them before they are gone then have another character killed off and just deal as much damage as you can while thats happening and repeat it until either you kill it or it kills you.. I'll give it a shot when I stream next but I may grind a bit off screen (giving everyone access to Comet would help with damage output and be more reliable then the RNG around Gaia) but if anyone has any additional suggestions I'll gladly take them.

(also thank god someone watching my stream early on convinced me to drop my game over rule, this game can be cheap as hell some times, that rule was not going to work for this run)

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, Atomos is just a matter of leaving a character downed and attacking while it does nothing but suck them in. Since you have Time Mage and haste, you should be able to get plenty of turns in. I don't remember what Geomancer has there, but unless it's better than comet I'd just have the mages spamming comet and the Dancer going for sword dances.

Since Atomos only attacks with comet you can remove all your armor for the fight, that will give you a little more speed since your speed is determined by agility - weight.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I beat Neo Exdeath, but when I took the screenshot a one drive notification popped up and blocked where my characters were. Should I submit anyways, or do I need to redo that fight D:

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The deal was pretty much sealed when I got to W3, but finishing was so satisfying.

rLs9KWb.png

I flubbed my prep so I skipped Necrophobe, would have needed to grind a little more to get break spellblade on a second character to clear the Barriers. Overlooked magic shell and forgot I needed Mystic Knight at level 5 for Spellblade 4.

Things went wrong on Twintania - Thief missed when trying to activate Magic Shell on the Mystic Knight, then I got healed by Atomic Ray. But Mind Blast and Wind Slash were so weak it didn't matter.

Other than that everything went perfectly according to plan. Neo Exdeath was nerve racking since it went on for so long and I wasn't entirely sure where he was on HP. But I had him within a few thousand and easily took out the last part before it could go into rage mode.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
My pic got accepted, so I've started run 2. White mage was first and then my water crystal job was mystic knight, because apparently gilgabot just loves giving me that job given that I've only ever had one run without it where I got to water crystal (I had one run I never got around to actually doing in 2016)

Zellia

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
UK
And run done. Ended up just grinding Shield Dragons in W2 then blasting through W3, grabbing Holy then heading straight to the Rift. Didn't really prepare for Twintania properly so ended up relying on an Assassin Dagger proc.

Boosting with bardsong did for Exdeath while Berserk + Blink gave me an easy Shinryu. Not doing Omega though. Now back to my backlog!

Oct 27, 2017
Just finished world 2. Nothing has given me any problems yet. My jobs are Blue Mage/Summoner/Samurai/Cannoneer. Blue Mage and Summoner have made this run easy. I am doing a Forbidden run so I expect one of those two jobs to be voided.