• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Bard is great, make sure to get all the songs. Sounds like you got at least one of the missable ones. One more missable one should be available at that point, unless you already got it.

Pedro

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Oooh, I didn't know giving other jobs' commands to the characters would also give their main stats, this is good info!

And yeah, I have a guide open for the songs cause I definitely want/need them all. Thanks for all the help :D

---

I know it's just a tiny thing, but

Galuf being a "warrior of light" from a Final Fantasy game that we'll never play is amazing as it shows you that this world is aged and that there were heroes fighting in the name of good before the other characters were even born.

A similar plot point appears in

FF3

and I was just as fascinated there, full aware that it's hardly anyone's favorite FF game.

---

My final job ended up being Chemist. That, Bard and Thief are jobs I have neeeever messed with, this has been a very refreshing challenge.

My party's going to be:

Thief (!Sing)
Bard (!Summon)
Summoner (!Mix)
Chemist (!Summon)

Basically 1 Thief and 3 Summoners to do the heavy lifting, and 2 Chemists and 2 Bards to buff the whole group.

Last edited:

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if RNG was just destroying me or I miscalculated my odds but I just couldn't get NED down with L5 death. Just took too long to get everything done. At level 99 via song my worst odds for doing anything should have been about a 1/5 shot, and with me getting stupid amounts of turns from speed song I had plenty of opportunity.

So I just beat it. I didn't get hit by either form. NED literally got one turn in. It was silly.

Started Chaos No750. Got Dragoon. That sucks.

Followed that up with Knight, which was okay but I had to grind all the way to two-handed to beat Liquid Flame. The alternative was grind elixirs, but I needed to get two-handed anyway so I might as well do it while everyone is a Knight.

Then I got Dragoon. Screw that. Mystic Knight! My first go at Job Fair, and my first time having a Knight plus a job that can make use of two-handed.

With the added power of Mystic Knight I blew through the next leg of the game quickly and got Samurai from Earth.

Dragoon/Knight/Mystic Knight/Samurai is a pretty great combo, too bad about that Dragoon I still have being the odd one out. Can't two-hand. Can't spellblade. Not really good for anything until I get some Samurai abilities on someone. It might just end up with Spellblade and for Chicken Knife jumps.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
I was really enjoying this run up until I got to the Pyramid. Gaia was basically worthless, Dance wasn't much better, only reliable way I had to do damage was freaking comet and man not having any real AOE sucks. So many damn treasure chests with monsters inside in this stupid place almost all of them having 4 enemies each requiring 3 casts of Comet to kill meaning 12 casts total and 90 mp total per battle, and I had to do this already missing one party member. Also enemies are hitting about double what they were in world 2. I did not enjoy this dungeon at all, it was tedious as all hell.

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017
Any advice on how to deal with Almagest? It's one-shotting my Time Mage / Freelancer / Gladiator / Bard party...

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Any advice on how to deal with Almagest? It's one-shotting my Time Mage / Freelancer / Gladiator / Bard party...

Enkibot lists two bits of advice for Time Mage.

* [TIM] If you're a gambling sort, you can try to land Old on the Almagest part at *extremely* low odds. It'll completely defang that piece, though.
* [TIM] You can also, with even more gambling (and high levels) involved, attempt to Banish the far-left piece. Not very practical, but absolutely hilarious.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

* [TIM] If you're a gambling sort, you can try to land Old on the Almagest part at *extremely* low odds. It'll completely defang that piece, though.
* [TIM] You can also, with even more gambling (and high levels) involved, attempt to Banish the far-left piece. Not very practical, but absolutely hilarious.
The back piece can be killed with odin from the magic lamp guaranteed, why would anyone use banish instead lol?

LaydinJinn

Oct 31, 2017

Lol there is an Enkibot!!? Must check it out thanks!

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
The back piece can be killed with odin from the magic lamp guaranteed, why would anyone use banish instead lol?

Sometimes you just want to play for fun and not for glory. I've done a lot of excessively complicated things for the sake of doing them, just to do something different and because the option was available.

On the other end of the spectrum, I finished what will be my lone No750 run this year. So many bosses amounted to holding A and fastforward after the first turn.

Run 4 starts with White Mage. Flail Time.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Sometimes you just want to play for fun and not for glory. I've done a lot of excessively complicated things for the sake of doing them, just to do something different and because the option was available.

On the other end of the spectrum, I finished what will be my lone No750 run this year. So many bosses amounted to holding A and fastforward after the first turn.

Run 4 starts with White Mage. Flail Time.
I mean that's a fair point, but if you're going to instakill a final boss part anyways, I find it hard to imagine relying so heavily on luck is more fun

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Don't have the time or attention span to keep up with the people doing 10+ runs already, but I'll probably finish run #4 tomorrow. Got up to the Barrier Tower today and got reflect rings I'll need for Exdeath. White/Red/Ninja/Dragoon.

Novel Mike

Oct 25, 2017
Finished my run. Was White Mage/Time Mage/Geomancer/Dancer. World 3 early on was a bitch because I was limited so badly on damage but once I got Holy and then almost right after Meteor the game completely changed. I had gotten so used to being super defensive on bosses but once I was able to use those spells the game became infinitely easier. Combined with the buffs you got from Shell/Protect I was able to beat the final boss at level 37 on my second try. I ended up abusing the hell out of Quick mostly on my two mages so they could keep buffs up when people would die or get dispelled. The final boss having a collective of over 200K HP was quite nuts although I'm not sure you actually had to kill all 4 parts of it, I didn't know either way since I hadn't looked anything up about the fight and ended up wearing it down slowly but surely, the battle took well over a half hour to do but it was fun although very stressful.

I haven't submitted pictures yet, at this point I'm pretty tired so I'll do that in the morning. Was a hell of a lot of fun doing this and finally got me to actually finish FFV for the first time ever. I was a bit disappointed and frustrated with World 3 which I felt the character growth just ends for the most part with Krile who had just recently joined not getting a lot of character interaction or development compared to the rest of the cast. Some of the dungeons had some really bullshit mechanics (Fork Tower and then the Pyramid having almost every treasure box having enemies) same as some bosses. I expected to get a lot more plot points and character interaction in world 3 what with the main cast returning to their original world but there was very little. Granted I didn't do all of the side quests I did see a nice little flashback scene for Lenna and Hiryu at the Phoenix tower (also wtf is with a dragon turning into a bird?) but felt like we should have more of those for Krile. In general it felt at times if things were wrapping themselves up to quickly, like Lenna nearly dies gets mind controlled by Exdeath all the while you learn about the legendary weapons and how to get them and then once you get her back you never see the characters explain anything like that to her?

I guess I feel like World 3 was rushed, there were some really great parts to it but that last third of the game wasn't nearly as entertaining as the previous two. Also somewhat surprised Bartz doesn't end up with anyone, early on they were kinda pushing him being attracted to Lenna but nothing ever really comes from it.

The thing I liked most about the game tho was seeing really how they took and improved elements from FFIV while also seeing how they ultimately used elements from FFV to make FFVI (such as Faris/Lenna basically being an early version of Sabin/Edgar with one sibling seeking the freedom of the world and the other conforming to their expected duties as royalty, yeah sure different stories and circumstances but I certainly see how they saw what they did with Faris/Lenna and wanted to build on that and make a stronger sibling dynamic in the following game)

Overall I really enjoyed the game and the Four Job Fiesta. I don't see me doing another run this year but if I can remember this going on next year then I'll likely try my hand at whatever the hardest run is of that time.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
You do have to deal with the full 220K HP for the final boss. The parts don't share HP, have different attributes and weaknesses, and can be targeted separately.

Regarding chests with encounters, I assume you mean Island Shrine since Fork Tower has only four chests and none are trapped. The main thing about that is just experience, once you know what the chests have in them you can avoid the ones with annoying encounters that aren't relevant to your jobs. This is especially true in the Pyramid, which has a lot of great stuff behind chest encounters, but none of it is useful for every job. Or if you have Bard just blast them with Requiem and get all the loot anyway.

Most of world 3 is technically optional anyway. It's kind of like FF7's disc 3, mostly just having the setup for the final dungeon and ending. You can go straight to the end of the game once you get the airship after the Pyramid. Depending on the combination of jobs, there may not be very many relevant things to do anyway.

"Hardest" is a tough call. For the most part run type (normal/random/chaos/etc) and job set (750/No750) don't significantly impact difficulty. Restrictions can though, since Natural and Upgrade inherently limit your options. And you have the Berserker Risk pre-reg option, but I don't think that makes a difference either because Berserker isn't even a bad job. Something like Dragoon risk would be a lot more daunting IMO because you risk getting a totally useless job. Unless you are one of the crazies that do Berserker Risk Upgrade. But that's not even difficult, it's just raw grinding and RNG.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You do have to deal with the full 220K HP for the final boss. The parts don't share HP, have different attributes and weaknesses, and can be targeted separately.

Regarding chests with encounters, I assume you mean Island Shrine since Fork Tower has only four chests and none are trapped. The main thing about that is just experience, once you know what the chests have in them you can avoid the ones with annoying encounters that aren't relevant to your jobs. This is especially true in the Pyramid, which has a lot of great stuff behind chest encounters, but none of it is useful for every job. Or if you have Bard just blast them with Requiem and get all the loot anyway.

Most of world 3 is technically optional anyway. It's kind of like FF7's disc 3, mostly just having the setup for the final dungeon and ending. You can go straight to the end of the game once you get the airship after the Pyramid. Depending on the combination of jobs, there may not be very many relevant things to do anyway.

"Hardest" is a tough call. For the most part run type (normal/random/chaos/etc) and job set (750/No750) don't significantly impact difficulty. Restrictions can though, since Natural and Upgrade inherently limit your options. And you have the Berserker Risk pre-reg option, but I don't think that makes a difference either because Berserker isn't even a bad job. Something like Dragoon risk would be a lot more daunting IMO because you risk getting a totally useless job. Unless you are one of the crazies that do Berserker Risk Upgrade. But that's not even difficult, it's just raw grinding and RNG.
Eh, Dragoon's not great but I wouldn't call it worthless. Jump can be pretty useful if you use it right, it really helped me deal with almagest during the neo exdeath battle in my first run

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Totally useless is an exaggeration since there is jump dodging and a mage can appreciate !Lance if nothing better is available, but I'd still put it just below Monk as the worst job if only because Monk can at least carry you through world 1. Dragoon isn't good when you get it and never gets anything to make it better. It lacks synergy with other jobs as a whole, since about the only thing you can give it to improve the Dragoon itself is dual-wield. Beyond that you're probably looking to turn it into an extra caster or something.

But my whole point was that Berserker Risk doesn't really add difficulty unless you combine it with something like upgrade to force Quadzerker. Berserker is a solid job thanks to the defense-negating damage formula and the existence of weapons line the Death Sickle and Rune Axe. You might want to KO it for a few fights where it will likely provoke nasty counters, but the good easily outweighs the bad.

Finally getting back to run 4. Exdeath was... interesting. Red mage spent the entire time throwing rod-boosted flame scrolls. Ninja started throwing shurikens during the first phase, the Dragoon jumped, and the white mage did all it could to handle support via items since everyone had reflect rings. For the second phase the Ninja and White Mage used reflect on Exdeath and kept bouncing Blink off him. Dragoon spent half the time dead but started throwing some scrolls for about half the damage of the red mage. Jump didn't work since I'd occasionally hit a blink on Exdeath after reflect wore off.

Last edited:

Carcosan Stag

Oct 25, 2017
R'lyeh
Phew, first full run of FFV complete, as well as simultaneously my first Fiesta run. :) Level 41 Knight/Time Mage/Ninja/Dancer. Neo Exdeath was a really, really hard fight. Overall it was a good time. Will have to participate again next year. :)

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
NED managed to be irritating because it would get so many turns so quickly after Almagest, preventing me from reviving.

Oh well, run 4 finished.

Sometimes, things have to get silly.

WtaxhL8.png

Finally got around to finishing run 5. If there is one thing Bard + Geomancer are good at, it's killing Neo Exdeath. Sing magic, level, and speed up to max, then spam wind slash. Be surprised if it gets more than two actions in.

Run 6 started off nice with Time. Then I got another Berserker, which is okay, but I am getting a lot of them this year. Then Red Mage, which sucks, and I am getting a lot of them this year. Will I get summoner or mystic knight and have an all-water team?

Team random damage is just not cutting it against NED. Berserker is random damage to random target. I can do dualcast quick meteor nonsense which is random damage to random targets. And the Ranger's best damage option is rapid fire chicken knife, which is high consistent damage, but random targets. Problem is, I just can't get good enough luck to get the bottom part to be targeted enough to kill it. If anything it seems like it is by far the least frequently targeted. Even though I'm only level 21 I don't even feel like levels would really help unless I got enough to survive Almagest. Just have to keep trying until the RNG is more favorable.

Holy shit, two days of attempts and I finally beat it. If I didn't beat it this afternoon I was just going to grind Iron Giants until I could just outright survive Almagest. Would have been a lot of levels given my squishy jobs aside from Berserker. NED went down quick once I finally had a go that I killed the bottom part before it killed me. I think this is only the third time I've had ranger but I used bows more than I did previously. Having flat chances to inflict ailments is neat, so I was able to blind the physical attacking part of the boss which mostly neutralized it.

Last edited:

Exhumed

Oct 29, 2017
Washington
First run went smooth as silk. Ranger/summoner/blue mage/ranger.

Second pure chaos run going to be interesting. Dragoon/Dragoon/white mage. So after fire crystal, gotta go up to earth crystal with all white mages. Any tips? It's going to be slow going....

Edit: Well that was probably the most unpleasant thing I've ever done in a fiesta. I don't even wanna talk about Byblos... Sol Cannon sucked. Thank God for auto mode in Android version...

Damn 3xDragoon and white mage...... Well.... Should be able to pull it off. Omega gonna be impossible but everything else should be fine.

Last edited:

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
TIL the middle part of Neo Exdeath that uses Grand Cross for nearly the entire fight casts Meteor under some condition. I don't know what it is, but I had to look at the AI script to figure out what the hell happened, because I've never seen Meteor mid-fight before.

Condition:V00=01{
Fight
{Meteo,Fight,Nothing}
Nothing
}

Thankfully it only killed two characters, but it happened really late and kind of messed me up.

I too seem to be going to Byblos with four white mages. This will probably be my highest level run in a long time for that alone. At least I will get Ranger afterwards.

Tried killing Desert Killers but it's probably slower than just staying at the ship graveyard. Might try the Karnak dogs.

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Doing my runs late this year, going to try and do them both this weekend.

First run is Berserker, Bard, Time Mage, and Cannoneer. I haven't used Cannoneer in over a decade!

Deleted member 3862

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
HOLY SHIT I beat Exdeath at level 13. On my first try.

Holy shit.

I sat there in disbelief on the victory screen for like 3 minutes.

I can't even wrap my head around how you do this. I always end up grinding a lot at the end of the game for levels. You should write a low level class guide some time. I'd be interested to see in detail how you pull this off.

Oct 26, 2017
How long does it usually take to get confirmation on a completed run? I sent in a victory picture like 5 days ago, but got back nothing

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I can't even wrap my head around how you do this. I always end up grinding a lot at the end of the game for levels. You should write a low level class guide some time. I'd be interested to see in detail how you pull this off.

I actually streamed that entire playthrough, but I only got one or two viewers for a short time through the entire thing. It's gone from Twitch now but I still have the recordings. I might do some post-commentary and upload it on youtube at some point. Will have to get some half decent video software next time there is some on sale or in a humble bundle.

W2 Exdeath was the roadblock for that party though. Beating it, in one try no less, was 100% luck and I'm not going to pretend otherwise. I didn't even go in with the intention of winning, I just wanted to do a test run and plan from there lol.

I seriously doubt I can beat it at a lower level than 13 regardless of jobs, but I said the same thing when I beat it at 15/16. A 2/1/1/4 run is possible without FJF restrictions, but naturally with the job restrictions a lot of the strats used aren't available.

How long does it usually take to get confirmation on a completed run? I sent in a victory picture like 5 days ago, but got back nothing

RK does them manually but it's usually a matter of hours and not days. I'd suggest tweeting revenantkioku and seeing what's up. (Or maybe PMing him here, but Twitter might be better)

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Good thing this thread was bumped. Almost forgot to send in my victory with my Thief/Knight/White Mage/Mime team. Hardest part of the run was taking down Byblos with Thief/Knight party.

There isn't any confirmation that is sent through Twitter. If you look up your name under players on the site it should show whether your run was confirmed completed. Normally it takes less than a day for it to happen.

Deleted member 3862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I actually streamed that entire playthrough, but I only got one or two viewers for a short time through the entire thing. It's gone from Twitch now but I still have the recordings. I might do some post-commentary and upload it on youtube at some point. Will have to get some half decent video software next time there is some on sale or in a humble bundle.

If you do I'd watch it.

How would you handle NED on Black Mage, Samurai, Oracle? I leaned heavily on zeninage for a while but it seems to be level dependent so I don't see how to get around grinding for that. Two Black Mages and an Oracle with Black Magic can just nuke everything and toss elixirs as needed but other than that I don't have a cohesive strategy.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
If you do I'd watch it.

How would you handle NED on Black Mage, Samurai, Oracle? I leaned heavily on zeninage for a while but it seems to be level dependent so I don't see how to get around grinding for that. Two Black Mages and an Oracle with Black Magic can just nuke everything and toss elixirs as needed but other than that I don't have a cohesive strategy.

I've never actually used any of the GBA jobs. You have two OHKOs, I'd have black 4+ on everyone, lamp the back part with Odin, then have everyone spam break on the bottom until it hits. You could also just spam flare or -aga spells on it. In theory, on average break will take longer but cost less MP, and has a chance to be much faster since it is RNG (or much slower). The two gold hairpins would help in either case.

That just leaves two relatively less threatening parts so you can spam multitarget black magic and heal as necessary. Vacuum Wave will be the only major threat unless you get a terrible Grand Cross roll.

So yeah, I'd basically ride Black Magic though the fight and chug elixers.

Deleted member 3862

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've never actually used any of the GBA jobs. You have two OHKOs, I'd have black 4+ on everyone, lamp the back part with Odin, then have everyone spam break on the bottom until it hits. You could also just spam flare or -aga spells on it. In theory, on average break will take longer but cost less MP, and has a chance to be much faster since it is RNG (or much slower). The two gold hairpins would help in either case.

That just leaves two relatively less threatening parts so you can spam multitarget black magic and heal as necessary. Vacuum Wave will be the only major threat unless you get a terrible Grand Cross roll.

So yeah, I'd basically ride Black Magic though the fight and chug elixers.

Oracle has a gimmick that I wasn't really interested in figuring out. Abilities cast based on last digit in MP or something like that. They have the highest magic value in the game so I just tossed Black Magic on her and use that. They might have a super secret trick up their sleeve but there's no place for subtlety when you can just nuke away.

I think I'm level 22 across the party. It will be the lowest level victory I've ever done by far if I can pull it off.

Edit: I spent a half hour casting Break on the wrong part of NED. I only realized it because I started having my Samurai use the Magic Lamp and Catoblepas got it to stick on the right part. Boy that sucked.

Edit 2: Got him! 3 level 22s, and a level 23. My personal lowest. Hilarity ensued at one point when he muted one of my black mages, and I didn't have any way to recover so I killed the character, used a phoenix down, and then NED hit him with a vacuum wave. Liberal application of phoenix downs kept me in the fight, and throwing some elixirs when MP got low.

Last edited: