• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Golnei

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a longtime fan of the franchise (played and completed XV, played a bit X long time ago on PS2), but I'm interested in these releases: between X and XII, which is better overall? I think I won't buy VII cause the remake in the works, neither IX cause I don't relate the high fantasy setting with the FF franchise (for me the particularity of FF games is the mix between tech and magic in a very politically complex world) and I read that while X is more about the characters, XII is more about the politics, so I'm intrigued to know more before the purchase (which will be in 2019, cause I have a Xbox One X).

"Better" is a bit difficult to discern, but if you're turned off IX for going to more of a fantasy set of aesthetics, you'll likely be turned off 12 pretty heavily - it's very similar to previous Ivalice / Ivalice-adjacent games (Vagrant Story and FF Tactics in particular, as well as the use of Sakimoto's music which was especially divisive at the time) with the addition of airships influenced by the Star Wars prequels.

Moppy

Oct 27, 2017
Whoa, what? Totally missed that these were coming to Xbox as well. Will definitely pick them up there.

Roronoa Zoro90

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 12, 2018
"Better" is a bit difficult to discern, but if you're turned off IX for going to more of a fantasy set of aesthetics, you'll likely be turned off 12 pretty heavily - it's very similar to previous Ivalice / Ivalice-adjacent games (Vagrant Story and FF Tactics in particular, as well as the use of Sakimoto's music which was especially divisive at the time) with the addition of airships influenced by the Star Wars prequels.
Thanks ;)
I know is difficult to state which is the better game, but there are some objective elements (gameplay, story, technical department) apart from the subjective ones; anyway the XII description you gave me is adherent to my personal opinion.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Which of these would be best for a first time FF player?

Absolutely FF7. You won't be able to step back very easily, even if the only one you've played is FF8. The seams are showing and it is an absolutely frankensteins monster of a game at time, but hit it first and you may be able to capture the magic everybody else experienced when going through the first time.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
New players should definetly check out 7/910 simply because of the wide variety of themes. I know people who absolutely love 7 and 10 but can't get into 9 at all and vice versa. Personally I love all 3 of them for different reasons.
FFX easily. It's one of the few turn-based FFs, and the protagonist is also essentially a newbie to the FF world, so you basically learn about the series' various aspects as he does. Comes bundled with FF X-2, which is an excellent intro to FF's famous ATB combat.
X-2 is an excellent way to turn off someone from the entire series.
Final Fantasy IX is the greatest FF game. I'll fight anyone on that.
Overall yes, definetly. I like the whole worldbuilding and mood they went with far better than sthis edgelord VII stuff.

AgeEighty

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not a longtime fan of the franchise (played and completed XV, played a bit X long time ago on PS2), but I'm interested in these releases: between X and XII, which is better overall? I think I won't buy VII cause the remake in the works, neither IX cause I don't relate the high fantasy setting with the FF franchise (for me the particularity of FF games is the mix between tech and magic in a very politically complex world) and I read that while X is more about the characters, XII is more about the politics, so I'm intrigued to know more before the purchase (which will be in 2019, cause I have a Xbox One X).

...There's a lot of tech in FFIX. Lindblum is essentially a giant clockwork city. And Terran technology is highly advanced, including cloning technology and the Invincible. FFIX isn't "high fantasy" at all, it just has a more medieval setting that hearkens back to early FF. But it still has the blend of magic, fantasy and sci-fi.

Roronoa Zoro90

User requested permanent ban
Banned
Oct 12, 2018
...There's a lot of tech in FFIX. Lindblum is essentially a giant clockwork city. And Terran technology is highly advanced, including cloning technology and the Invincible. FFIX isn't "high fantasy" at all, it just has a more medieval setting that hearkens back to early FF. But it still has the blend of magic, fantasy and sci-fi.
Thank you for the specification, anyway, the other big issue for me in relation to old PS1 games, is that simple ports are really for the saga fans nowadays, not really for the "interested ones" like me, so yes I want to play an old FF to discover the saga, but not so old and from what I can see on YT, FFXII could be my perfect match (from a technical and gameplay perspective).

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Apologies for the week-long bump, but I guess it's safe to assume that WoFF is a digital-only title in Europe at this point? I haven't seen any mention of that anywhere, but also haven't seen any retailers list it, and it's due out in a few days.

I'm leaning towards importing an XBO copy from Amazon US.

chanman

Nov 9, 2017
Know that XII is going to be on the Switch is making me want to stop my PS4 playthrough as I find it hard to find time to sit down and play it.

Sphinx

Nov 29, 2017
Apologies for the week-long bump, but I guess it's safe to assume that WoFF is a digital-only title in Europe at this point? I haven't seen any mention of that anywhere, but also haven't seen any retailers list it, and it's due out in a few days.

wouldnt that depend on who is publishing? if nintendo publishes, we'll get those game in physical form for no less than 39.99 euro or dls.

if it's SE then yes, it's probable digital only

TiagoCosta

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 3, 2018

Importing the game myself, at least in this case there is a way to get it on physical format.. wish they did the same with nier automata.

Also getting FFX and XII the same way.

In Amber Clad

rather sultry
Aug 26, 2018
London
Yeah, I'll probably end up importing those too. I need my physical copies!

Agree about NieR, though I did have that physically on PS4 at least, so I didn't mind buying it digitally on XBO too much.

I hope we're not waiting too long into 2019 for the rest of the games.

Conrad Link

Oct 29, 2017
New Zealand
I would have purchased NieR at launch on Xbox One X if it had been physical, there is no way I'm paying full price for something digital. I just can't do it.

It's so stupid that WoFF isn't coming physically on Switch but is on Xbox, Xbox of all things! The console they've ignored and haven't given a shit about in forever (trust me, I know, I love SE games and Xbox is my preferred 3rd party console). >_> I wanted it on Switch but again, can't bring myself to pay full price for a digital thing. So I'll just wait for it to be on sale or get the Xbox One version instead I guess?

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
Know that XII is going to be on the Switch is making me want to stop my PS4 playthrough as I find it hard to find time to sit down and play it.
Same with me. Back in the day, I really wanted XII to be on the Vita (as it's where I ended up playing X/X-2 the most), but a Switch version of Zodiac Age is the perfect consolation prize. Can't wait for the date on that one.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I hope the date for Zodiac Age gets released soon. I'm playing even more of the steam version in anticipation of it.

Dreamboum

Oct 28, 2017
I hope FF9 will further tweak the UI to not be so bad and take an absurd amount of space in battle. I'm also expecting black borders, I'm not a fan of random background art.

I've kinda been meaning to play it again, but the high-res 3D models over the upscaled 240p art still is jarring to me.

SirNinja

One Winged Slayer
I hope this means FFX will get a Pro patch for native 4K on Pro
Doubtful. I'll redownload it if that happens, though...

I hope FF9 will further tweak the UI to not be so bad and take an absurd amount of space in battle. I'm also expecting black borders, I'm not a fan of random background art.

I've kinda been meaning to play it again, but the high-res 3D models over the upscaled 240p art still is jarring to me.
To this day I wonder why FF9's prerendered backgrounds didn't get the X/X-2 treatment, especially when the characters received updated higher-poly models. X/X-2 HD's backgrounds look great even in 4K, whereas IX PC's backgrounds are a low-res eyesore even on the lowest possible resolution. (There is a mod that upscales them...way too much. Game looks almost like an oil painting with them.)

Jun 22, 2018
To this day I wonder why FF9's prerendered backgrounds didn't get the X/X-2 treatment, especially when the characters received updated higher-poly models. X/X-2 HD's backgrounds look great even in 4K, whereas IX PC's backgrounds are a low-res eyesore even on the lowest possible resolution. (There is a mod that upscales them...way too much. Game looks almost like an oil painting with them.)
FFX's backgrounds aren't pre-rendered. That's the difference.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
That would be creating a brand new game. most of X and 13-2's assets are real assets, FFXI's assets are 2D. There's only so much you can do if the assets are low res

*ninjaed*

mas8705

Oct 27, 2017
Now I'm actually conflicted about what console I'm going to grab these for. On one hand, it is great to play these on the Xbox One, so that will be nice. On the other, being able to take these games on the go would be good too. The joys of being conflicted...

Also hopefully FF8 will get its tweaks so that it can be on all platforms too.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FFIX's original, high-quality art still exists. Perhaps they lost some of it, and didn't want the background qualities to be inconsistent, or something.

These were collected by a fan by manually combing the portfolios and websites of the hundreds of artists who worked on FFIX. These artists are mostly American and European contractors who don't work for SE anymore. SE itself doesn't have those files in their archives and was never going to do what that fan did.

Liliana

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
NYC
Now I'm actually conflicted about what console I'm going to grab these for. On one hand, it is great to play these on the Xbox One, so that will be nice. On the other, being able to take these games on the go would be good too. The joys of being conflicted...

Also hopefully FF8 will get its tweaks so that it can be on all platforms too.

I know I'm like quadriple-dipping for Switch but honestly soon you'll be able to play your entire Xbox library on any device with Xstream. Gonna work wonders for many smaller, easy to play for a short time and drop titles, like these.

And FF8 seems like it's never going to come at this point. Keeping hope alive, though.