• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
I went into this thread thinking people complaining in the official Xbox/Switch thread for the game would be rejoicing.

I guess they're too busy playing the game being able to hear the full 6 minute world map song.

Coming into this thread is like PS4 owners VS Square Enix

iVorXqX.gif

Jan 11, 2018
Yes, but we still got it day and date, didn't we? The point still stands.

On the other hand, it was a disaster because paying for the Maxima DLC (which was kind of overpriced to begin with) did not put the PS4 version on par with the other ports. It lacked all of the Day One and Limited Edition voucher content (such as Japanese voices) as well as previously released DLC. And of course, nothing for Vita.

Deleted member 12352

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, but isn't releasing a DLC for a modern game a little different from fixing a 5+ (20+ if you consider the original PC version) years old buggy mess? (the PS4 port is based on the Steam re-release)

The version that released on Switch and XB1 was the exact same version of the game that was already on PS4, that they've refused to fix for years now. If those other versions can be fixed, I can't see any justifiable reason the PS4 version can't be also.

I mean, it's not like this is an unreasonable expectation here.

YuSuzzune

Nov 21, 2018
Square being Square. FFIV sequel on Steam has an unpatched bug in which the game crashes when watching the endgame cutscene,preventing to unlock the achievement for beating the game.And other FF titles like VII have other unpatched bugs too.

Oct 30, 2017
Wow..... I can't believe they still didn't release a patch for PS4, like seriously it never cross their minds that the PS4 owners will be pissed? They will not say ( we want the same patch we cried out for years for it ) ?!

I want to replay FFVII again next month but this.... and this really makes me frustrated and angry!!!

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
I understand the frustration for all the other system owners.

But. At least they have patched it in the 2 latest releases now. Maybe it will eventually be patched in PS4 and Steam?

I think there should be a bit more optimism in the thread...

PARAdoja

Oct 27, 2017
Can we get Kotaku people here? If Kotaku writes a piece about this, maybe it will be picked up by other sites.

They also replied to me saying they weren't planning any future patches for ps4

100mega

Oct 27, 2017
I just had the switch version freeze on me while loading the world map after the first encounter post Kalm. I wish I had saved...but I guess watching the Jenova stuff all over again isn't so bad. SE should really put more care into all of these ports.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
What about frametimes? Has anyone even acknowledged the issue? It's pretty apparent with scrolling backgrounds that this is not a smooth locked 30 fps.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Wait, has the patch even hit? I check for updates and I'm still on 1.0.0.

edit: nvm I'm an idiot....was checking for a IX patch.

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Leo-Tyrant

Jan 14, 2019
San Jose, Costa Rica
We don't have a sales comparison but the PS4 version debuted at third place on a december (the biggest month of the year) on PSN:

eHqG7vn.png

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/01/20/playstation-stores-top-downloads-of-2015/

I'm sure it sold enough to deserve a simple fix.

Thanks for the info. In that case its probably a timing thing. All those PS4 sales were made a couple of years ago, compared to the Switch and Xbox recent ones. Word of mouth, popularity, actual players playing right now instead of 2 years ago, etc...

More incentive to focus on those 2 platforms first.

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the info. In that case its probably a timing thing. All those PS4 sales were made a couple of years ago, compared to the Switch and Xbox recent ones. Word of mouth, popularity, actual players playing right now instead of 2 years ago, etc...

More incentive to focus on those 2 platforms first.
That's what I've been saying but would it have killed them to tell us it's coming instead of leaving us in the dark? I have no reason to believe it'll come out at all other than the logic we keep telling us that it made sense to focus on the two newest platforms first but we don't know if we'll get it at all and that's extremely shitty. Especially for the version on the only platform that has the Remake announced to be on.

Do us right, Square! Many of us who bought this Remaster on ps4 in 2015 were right there in 97 buying the original on PS1 and are stoked to play the remake on PS4. Fix this shit!

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprised. I'm sure sales of FF7 on PS4 have dried up, and they don't care about the bad PR. People forget and move on very fast these days.
With a FF7Remake in the horizon and the hype machine being turned on for that This bad PR and bad word of mouth can't be a good thing. I'm not pissed that Switch and XB1 got the patch first, I understand why they would be a priority (although there's no excuse not to ship the fix for PS4 earlier, they had 3+ years for that), what I'm pissed at is Square releasing the patch we've been asking for for years and not even pay us PS4 owners lip service of saying "we know you're waiting too, it's coming".

That's all I'm really asking for.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Square really doesnt give a fuck...its crazy - especially since their core audience is on PS4 and they are going to sell the 7 Remake to them. You would think they would try better at least on that plattform.

Dec 15, 2017
Germany
Not surprised. I'm sure sales of FF7 on PS4 have dried up, and they don't care about the bad PR.

They probably have dried down but recent trailers for the Remake might lead to higher interest in this port, also for some ps4 users.

People forget and move on very fast these days.

I won't forget about this at least and it has been years. People who got screwed over might also not be as supportive of S-E in the future so I'm thinking there should be sufficient incentive for them to fix this. At this time, especially with the fixes on other platforms, there should be no excuses left for them.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
With a FF7Remake in the horizon and the hype machine being turned on for that This bad PR and bad word of mouth can't be a good thing. I'm not pissed that Switch and XB1 got the patch first, I understand why they would be a priority (although there's no excuse not to ship the fix for PS4 earlier, they had 3+ years for that), what I'm pissed at is Square releasing the patch we've been asking for for years and not even pay us PS4 owners lip service of saying "we know you're waiting too, it's coming".

That's all I'm really asking for.
They probably have dried down but recent trailers for the Remake might lead to higher interest in this port, also for some ps4 users.

I won't forget about this at least and it has been years. People who got screwed over might also not be as supportive of S-E in the future so I'm thinking there should be sufficient incentive for them to fix this. At this time, especially with the fixes on other platforms, there should be no excuses left for them.

Oh I agree. I'm no longer buying Square Enix games new for this reason. I'll just pick them up used a few months after release and it's a win/win. They've burned me many times over the years (Secret of Mana remake, FF7/9/10) that I can no longer feel good about giving them day one sales.

I'm going to stay strong and not buy 7R day one either. As bad as I want the game, I know that I can't support scummy anti-consumer practices.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh I agree. I'm no longer buying Square Enix games new for this reason. I'll just pick them up used a few months after release and it's a win/win. They've burned me many times over the years (Secret of Mana remake, FF7/9/10) that I can no longer feel good about giving them day one sales.

I'm going to stay strong and not buy 7R day one either. As bad as I want the game, I know that I can't support scummy anti-consumer practices.
Sorry, it says I was tagged in this post, but I can't figure out why lol

silva1991

Oct 26, 2017

Yeah, It wouldn't be surprised if the PC/Xbox release of that game will have significant improvement that won't come to PS4. I'll probably just borrow the game or buy it used. I don't want to be screwed by this company for the fourth time in just one gen.

Oct 30, 2017
This patch ain't coming to the PS4 owners is it...?!

Wow..... SE..... just wow.....

I want to replay it one more time before the Remake and aiming for the Platinum trophy this time.... but this is just so f**ked up!!!!!

AztecComplex

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so pissed about Square not only snubbing PS4 owners for almost 4 years but they addressed the problem on XB1 and switch like a month later and we still don't even know if it's coming to PS4 at all.

And this is the platform that's getting the Remake! Way to go square!

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Am I seriously the only one noticing the horrible framerate in FF VII Switch? I don't understand how no one else has even noticed this.

FF IX's framerate is fine. Super smooth. Only massive input lag is the issue. FF VII on the other hand is a juddery mess.

Schlauchkopf

Alt-account
Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Am I seriously the only one noticing the horrible framerate in FF VII Switch? I don't understand how no one else has even noticed this.

FF IX's framerate is fine. Super smooth. Only massive input lag is the issue. FF VII on the other hand is a juddery mess.
I bought the Switch version a couple of days ago due to the patch and yeah, this was the first thing I noticed. It's fine during battles actually, where I would expect framerate issues to crop up the most, but just walking around the areas you notice some surprising amount of stuttering. I wouldn't exactly call it a mess but it's definitly not that well optimized of a port if an old PS1 game can't run smooth on the Switch.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017

In the original PS1 release the battle frame rate ran at 15 frames a second.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
In the original PS1 release the battle frame rate ran at 15 frames a second.

This isn't what I'm talking about. See below:

I bought the Switch version a couple of days ago due to the patch and yeah, this was the first thing I noticed. It's fine during battles actually, where I would expect framerate issues to crop up the most, but just walking around the areas you notice some surprising amount of stuttering. I wouldn't exactly call it a mess but it's definitly not that well optimized of a port if an old PS1 game can't run smooth on the Switch.

Yes. This is what I'm talking about. It's incredibly obvious when you're running in an area and the screen is panning that this is not a locked 30 fps. The judder is very obvious. And yet pretty much everyone out there is somehow oblivious to this.

For the record, the PS4 and PC versions are fine. The Switch version is the only one to suffer from this, and it's preventing it from being the definitive version of the game.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
People are obviously gonna buy that game no matter what. But all the smaller ones. Romancing SaGa 3, the next Tokyo RPG Factory title, a potential FFVIII port... yeah, people who bought FFVII on PS4 are less likely to invest in those.
You don't give money at all to the company if you really want to make a point.

What if FF7R part1 got a port on another console later with updates ?
Isn't it much safer to buy the multi ones which are likely to get any update on all consoles at the same time if there was any.

Timed exclusive are always the riskiest bet.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
PS4 owners are literally being ignored here, and Square Enix is fully aware of what they're doing. Bug fixes shouldn't count as exclusive content to late ports.
Where do you draw the line ?
From what i've been seeing here anything in DQ11S or FF12 seem to not count either (I mean, it all should be "patched" is what i read).

Buying the next biggest game and booing the rest doesn't make any sense to me. Again, how many versions/editions will FF7R get when it's all said and done...

Who knows which system will have what exactly, especially with new systems coming up and generations getting blurry.

edit : I agree though. Bugs should always be fixed, no matter the version.

On a side note I never really thought of the music restart as a bug. So I see it as an enhancement more than a fix. But that's more of a point of view.

Jan 11, 2018

Ancipital

Apr 25, 2019
Yes. This is what I'm talking about. It's incredibly obvious when you're running in an area and the screen is panning that this is not a locked 30 fps. The judder is very obvious. And yet pretty much everyone out there is somehow oblivious to this.

Yeah, it seems to be a regular 1 frame stutter every half a second or so. You can see it most clearly in cutscenes with long pans in. Doesn't seem performance related as such to me but like it's some kind of odd timing bug. It is pretty annoying if you can notice it, whatever it is.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it seems to be a regular 1 frame stutter every half a second or so. You can see it most clearly in cutscenes with long pans in. Doesn't seem performance related as such to me but like it's some kind of odd timing bug. It is pretty annoying if you can notice it, whatever it is.

Yup that's exactly how I'd describe it.