• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
Regardless of what happens with Aerith now, it's still pretty mind-blowing to me that Square has managed to take one of the biggest video game spoilers of all time and actually inject legitimate suspense into it.

Whichever way it ends up going, it has a chance to be actually more impactful than the original. Pretty amazing potential.

I agree, throwing that up in the air is an excellent decision.

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
Don't count on it. This all looks like a direct continuation of FF7R tech wise. No Nanite or Lumen. They may move to UE5, but that won't mean much if they are sticking to old rendering modules.

Still looks great, I really liked how FF7R ended up looking [and playing].

I loved how FF7R looked too, but outdoor environments could definitely use a bump. Would be great if they used photgammetry or something.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
People know Aerith dies. People that don't even really like games that much know Aerith dies lol. I'm honestly impressed they're taking the fact that that's a culturally ubiquitous plot beat and working with it, rather than against it. They're not trying to hide that from new people, they're trying to create a whole new kind of suspense in all of us as we try to puzzle out whether or not it'll happen again. And it's working.

Right, its just pop culture osmosis at this point. My GF barely plays games, didn't know anything about FF until I started playing FF7R, when she saw Sephiroth and Aerith she said "oh, does he kill her? I saw a guy who looks like him kill someone who looks like her in a meme once. This is that game?". lol, I was like, "yeah, thats the one".

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
It makes some sense due to it being a role based ARPG with each character having their own playstyle to keep her around else it'll really screw with the balancing. We'd lose the mage, which would really bork up this type of battle system.
The thing is that everyone can still be a mage. I had plenty of times where I used Cloud or Barret as my primary mage in Remake, considering how often Aerith isn't in the party, and they're perfectly competent at it. Aerith shines as a support character as much as anything else, with her healing limit breaks and her ATB/Magic Wards, and that's very similar to her role as the primary healer in OG VII. The fact that you permanently lost that gameplay element was a big factor in why her death was so shocking. I'm not saying for sure that she'll die, but Square is definitely not afraid of removing her support utility for narrative reasons. We've already seen that.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
How was that his downfall? I love remake but haven't played 7 in decades and don't remember the details so just curious.

Aerith commanded the lifestream from beyond the grave and sent it off to finish off Meteor... before becoming a demi-god alongside Sephiroth in the lifestream in the Compilation and screwing with Sephiroths plans there too... like a magical girl Jesus.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
The thing is that everyone can still be a mage. I had plenty of times where I used Cloud or Barret as my primary mage in Remake, considering how often Aerith isn't in the party, and they're perfectly competent at it. Aerith shines as a support character as much as anything else, with her healing limit breaks and her ATB/Magic Wards, and that's very similar to her role as the primary healer in OG VII. The fact that you permanently lost that gameplay element was a big factor in why her death was so shocking. I'm not saying for sure that she'll die, but Square is definitely not afraid of removing her support utility for narrative reasons. We've already seen that.

I would expect their combat expanded, part 1 forced your group so it was balanced that way. ARPG's generally bring in replacement characters when someone is leaving.

Slime

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see them remaking the entire game. I think the ending opened them up to doing a super condensed, retcon-heavy "sequel" and part 1 is the only thing that's going to seem like an actual remake.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
The insane thing is I would've been fine with an actual sequel set after Dirge of Cerberus. You can do literally ANYTHING with that.

But this ridiculous "we want to redo SOME scenes from the original game but we don't care about telling the whole story so here's our terrible fanfic-caliber nonsense to replace other scenes" framework is just maddening.

If they wanted to make a new game, just tell an ACTUALLY NEW STORY instead of digging up the original game's story and frankensteining it into something way worse.

You're right, but the dramatic irony of all of this is that even after all of this, they still didn't remake FFVII. They made a weird half-game that they called "Final Fantasy VII Remake" to troll the people who actually wanted a remake.

The thing that gets me is that studios are criticised all the time for not taking risks, for doing the same thing over and over. Now SE have taken a massive, ballsy, risk with FF7R a lot of people are like "no, not with this one". I get not liking it, nothing can please everyone. But, I like that they've taken a risk, and thrown out expectations out of the window. If FF7R was business as usual, we would be talking about it a whole lot less. It just wouldn't be that interesting.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
The thing that gets me is that studios are criticised all the time for not taking risks, for doing the same thing over and over. Now SE have taken a massive, ballsy, risk with FF7R a lot of people are like "no, not with this one". I get not liking it, nothing can please everyone. But, I like that they've taken a risk, and thrown out expectations out of the window. If FF7R was business as usual, we would be talking about it a whole lot less. It just wouldn't be that interesting.

To me, the core issue is just that these writers are not talented or thoughtful enough to do anything interesting here. Their ideas all seem to be based around "what if the characters that died didn't die????" and "what if the worst parts of the Compilation showed up in the main story??????", and it's just...dumb.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the concept of taking risks, but sometimes developers make bad choices. I think the way they've handled basically all of the new content in the remake is an example of that.

ConVito

Oct 16, 2018
To me, the core issue is just that these writers are not talented or thoughtful enough to do anything interesting here. Their ideas all seem to be based around "what if the characters that died didn't die????" and "what if the worst parts of the Compilation showed up in the main story??????", and it's just...dumb.

There's nothing inherently wrong with the concept of taking risks, but sometimes developers make bad choices. I think the way they've handled basically all of the new content in the remake is an example of that.
?????????

It's all subjective, sure. But like, the writers behind FFVIIR are incredible on both the dialogue and story sides.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico

We won't really know that until FF7-R2 drops.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

I think it's inspired by the cycles from Norse mythology. Like outside the cottage, Aerith tells Cloud to appreciate the time they have together, and to not fall in love with her, foreshadowing her death in the original. I think the general story is about overcoming Sephiroth's influence and resetting the cycle, accepting who has passed, despite the temptation to change things Sephiroth is offering like a devil's deal, but the rebirth will be his if they go down that road. As you say, I don't think it's simply about saving people.

Brando

Oct 25, 2017
I just don't see them remaking the entire game. I think the ending opened them up to doing a super condensed, retcon-heavy "sequel" and part 1 is the only thing that's going to seem like an actual remake.
It's possible but then look at re 3 remake which cut significant areas from the original and how upset the fans were about it. I think you have to include all the main story quest areas from original and then expand on them with content from the anthology. So Rebirth covering the rest of Disc 1 and then Rebirth 2 covering Disc's 2 and 3.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
Nomura still hasn't revealed what remake means and he now says Rebirth has a bigger meaning too. So I'm not entirely sure what they are doing with this. Maybe Aerith comes back to life?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
?????????

It's all subjective, sure. But like, the writers behind FFVIIR are incredible on both the dialogue and story sides.

There are moments where it's charming or funny (Aeris saying "SHIT" is a great moment and I laughed out loud) but so much of the writing is so painfully on the nose or just plain awkward (everything Sephiroth says makes Xemnas look like a master communicator), and basically every single time the game tries to introduce new concepts to VII (literally everything related to "fate") it's just painful and clunky and feels like the whole game jarringly lurched into Final Fantasy XIII.

We won't really know that until FF7-R2 drops.

We won't, technically true. If you want to be optimistic, more power to you, but these writers have done nothing in my mind to inspire even a shred of confidence in them. I just do not trust Toriyama and Kitase together, and Nojima has been past his prime for a long time now.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
Nomura still hasn't revealed what remake means and he now says Rebirth has a bigger meaning too. So I'm not entirely sure what they are doing with this. Maybe Aerith comes back to life?

Already has? I'm predicting she will survive with some kind of twist right at the end that answers both Sephiroth and her seeming knowledge of future events that subverts her surviving.

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico
There are moments where it's charming or funny (Aeris saying "SHIT" is a great moment and I laughed out loud) but so much of the writing is so painfully on the nose or just plain awkward (everything Sephiroth says makes Xemnas look like a master communicator), and basically every single time the game tries to introduce new concepts to VII (literally everything related to "fate") it's just painful and clunky and feels like the whole game jarringly lurched into Final Fantasy XIII.

We won't, technically true. If you want to be optimistic, more power to you, but these writers have done nothing in my mind to inspire even a shred of confidence in them. I just do not trust Toriyama and Kitase together, and Nojima has been past his prime for a long time now.

Fair enough, I'd prefer to be optimistic and see what happens. I thought FF7R was great fun, despite some issues like the whole whisper thing being heavy handed.

Woozy

Feb 22, 2022

It's a little open for interpretation but my thoughts:

Its called Remake because up until the end it's pretty much the original story remade and kept "on course" because of those ghosts of fate that keeps appearing when things are looking like events would diverge from the original timeline. For reasons still unknown, Sephiroth has intervened from the very beginning of the game to try to push the characters to break that original timeline. You can hear the faint notes of "One Winged Angel" when Aerith gets startled in the alley way as an indicator of that. Because the characters finally broke free from the fates at the end of the game, the story is now no longer a Remake, hence the change in title for the second game.

Personally I find it very exciting and I trust the developers will deliver something special while still giving us those familiar moments we expect from the original game.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Its pretty clear at this point that FFVIIR Project is a sewuel, not a Remake. And I'm 100% down with that. LFG!
I wouldn't get your hopes up, in the story Sephiroth tempts Cloud to change Fate. I think it makes sense things will revert to the original story before the end, and they reject his offers. But I could be wrong, we'll see.

Nonagon

Jan 2, 2020
Rebirth is the perfect title, because it could apply to so many characters/entities. I count at least 5-7 major ones that have the potential to shift the story significantly if they were to experience rebirth.

As Kitase hinted, this 2nd entry is gonna be the messy part of the trilogy blowing the possibilites wide open for the finale. As such I believe it could span longer than your usual 40h full game. Maybe upto 60-80h for main story.

I personally think they could and were pondering to go beyond Midgar for the 1st part, but then decided for several practical reasons to end it there. This, however, came with the compromise of stretching and filling out Midgar with stuff, that's joywise divisive among the community. Now Rebirth has to make up for it, and it certainly can.

May 7, 2018
I wouldn't get your hopes up, in the story Sephiroth tempts Cloud to change Fate. I think it makes sense things will revert to the original story before the end, and they reject his offers. But I could be wrong, we'll see.

If you mean that thay will realize that restoring history is the best outcome and will work towards that, I like it. And the journey will be different at least.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean already has? She never died yet.
FF VII's world has cycles like the Norse mythology influence, that's how the whispers remember what's meant to happen, I think it's fair to say she died in an earlier cycle. Like the memory of the lifestream and the planet.
Remake in universe I think means trying to remake Fate despite the control of the whispers, and rebirth means a reborn cycle that doesn't abide by the planet's memory. But rebirth may have a hidden meaning or two, like if Aerith joins the lifestream again, Aerith is reborn in the promised land spiritually, or it might mean Sephiroth is trying to be reborn as a god.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017

I would have confidence because the current team took the original game's pretty barebones script (Avalanche were hardly characters in the original, for example) and made all of the characters feel far more fleshed out, human and interesting in Remake. Remake feels like it was written by people with actual life experience.

I keep thinking about making a thread where we do a head-to-head comparison, just looking at the script, but Remake is such a massive improvement that it would feel unfair.

TaleSpun

Oct 25, 2017
I would have confidence because the current team took the original game's pretty barebones script (Avalanche were hardly characters in the original, for example) and made all of the characters feel far more fleshed out, human and interesting in Remake. Remake feels like it was written by people with actual life experience.

I keep thinking about making a thread where we do a head-to-head comparison, just looking at the script, but Remake is such a massive improvement that it would feel unfair.

Seriously, this is the thing for me. FFVII is a good game and everything, but I feel like the script is super anemic. It's still there, like the characters and of course the plot come across, but I think when you're playing you do a lot of work to fill in the actual personalities of the cast. The Remake, somehow some way, managed to fill all those spaces as though they were never empty to begin with. I really felt like I was seeing and hearing the cast that was in my head all those years.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
I understand. Still I like the speculation. I think it would make for a better game.
Yeah, I'm open to both approaches. If the writing is as good as Part 1, and the characters are as lovable, then the plot itself can do whatever and it will still be enjoyable, because the emotional core will be there, and that's what actually matters.

This team's character writing is just so good. Everything is so heartfelt.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
The Remake, somehow some way, managed to fill all those spaces as though they were never empty to begin with. I really felt like I was seeing and hearing the cast that was in my head all those years.

VII is known for its vast and diverse set of characters, many of whom got shafted in the original game due to runtime being constrained by the plot they needed to drive.

I think splitting the Remake Project into a trilogy and expanding on each element whether it be environments to characters to set pieces is probably the reason why it resonates with so many of us. it's showing us not only a vision for how a Final Fantasy game of this scale can be made in the modern age but by virtue of being a sequel to Compilation, it's also filling in they void within many fans that wanted to see this series continue in some fashion.

Last edited:

SuperBoss

Oct 25, 2017
The ending in original FF7 was a good ending for the planet.
No humans in the future = the planet thrives

I wonder if things changing this time around will change that too.

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
I hope aeris dies, don't understand this obsession to keep her alive and change the story.

OP
OP
Helix

Helix

Mayor of Clown Town
Jun 8, 2019
I hope aeris dies, don't understand this obsession to keep her alive and change the story.

I'm of the belief that she does die but not where she does in OG, but much after. Aerith dying is probably the biggest and most well known video game spoiler, what better way to recreate an impactful moment by doing in the most unexpected way. I think she will be kept alive longer than the OG for that very reason.

Last edited:

Hu3

Oct 25, 2017
I'm of the belief that she does die but not where she does in OG, but much after. Aerith dying is probably the biggest and most well video game spoiler, what better way to recreate a impactful moment by doing in the most unexpected way. I think she will be kept alive longer than the OG for that very reason.

Not only that but she dying is what unleashes the end game, she dying is what breaks the balance, how are they going to change that, they will have to change the entire plot.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
my view of how FFVII remake works is that FFVII original happened. the planet itself has a will, and it seems to be outside of time itself. so FFVII remake is set after, yet also at the beginning of a new timeline. the planet fights to keep things the same, as that outcome averted an even larger tragedy. but Aerith and Sephiroth, with their connections to the planet, have the ability to see outside of time, and Aerith knows that she dies. Sephiroth is also aware of many things.

so now with the sequel, we'll see that fate was broken. but even without fate, many events will stay the same, yet others will change.

'cause she's a great character, and remake gives her even more depth. people want to see more of her and her interacting with the world.

Not only that but she dying is what unleashes the end game, she dying is what breaks the balance, how are they going to change that, they will have to change the entire plot.

the plot is definitely going to change A LOT

Lengualo

May 14, 2022
UK/Mexico

For something new? The main appeal of will she/wont she is that we don't know what will happen. Obviously you can't have that without a real possibility that it could change.

There are also the tension it adds to the ending, for example, can she command the lifestream while living? Will it alter how that all plays out?

Also, the new possibilities it opens. For example, we could get loads of new exploration of the cetra, new stuff between the characters and an opportunity to close the compilation off once and for all, and a better ending for humanity and the planet.

So, its not just for fan service, there are things they could do.

Niks

Oct 25, 2017
Aerith will die.
All this "we can change fate" crap is to make everyone believe you can save her, but you cant, and its gonna hurt even more.

Heres why Tifa (or other character) dying makes no sense.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
Aerith will die.
All this "we can change fate" crap is to make everyone believe you can save her, but you cant, and its gonna hurt even more.

Heres why Tifa (or other character) dying makes no sense.

Aerith may die, but it won't be fate that does it. I actually kind of doubt though that any major characters are going to die. It's rare that character death actually adds anything to most stories, especially with how it tends to be handled.

Though I will say that FFVII is one of the few examples where character death WAS handled well, as it was a shadow over the rest of the game and characters didn't just go "oh well, moving on."