What party member are you looking forward to playing as the most?

• Cloud

Votes: 228 18.7%
  • Barrett

Votes: 48 3.9%
  • Tifa

Votes: 306 25.1%
  • Aerith

Votes: 54 4.4%
  • Red XIII

Votes: 215 17.7%
  • Yuffie

Votes: 207 17.0%
  • Cait Sith

Votes: 159 13.1%

• Total voters
Oct 25, 2017
If there's sidequests, there's still a chance! :p they can still technically go up.

Honestly, Aerith and Red's are the most "story" relevant.

Tifa's is nice. Barret's is nice. Yuffie's is hilarious. The "guy's night" is also super funny.

Aerith's semi confirms a lot of stuff about Cloud/Zack, or what she thinks of Cloud at least, and Red's has lore about the whispers.

Which is maybe why Red has the most sidequests before chapter 12? I think if you weren't trying to game the game for the date you want, you'd likely end up with Red or Barret.

I was trying to game it, so I did all of Aerith's quests and hard stopped for everyone else, so that she was the only person with the light blue icon going back to Gold Saucer.

I feel like I've done almost every side quest up to Chapter 12 and only Aerith is light blue but a few other characters are the dark blue

Maybe I missed some early quests

I got what I wanted anyway, but I didn't really care

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
I feel like I've done almost every side quest up to Chapter 12 and only Aerith is light blue but a few other characters are the dark blue

Conversation answers factor in too. You get three options and they are rated 1-3 stars. When you do post game the option that you have chosen so far will display the star values for reference. I actually didn't hit as many 3 stars as I thought I did.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017

Perhaps!

I do feel like I counted it out and I was skipping the most Red quests though lol.

Aerith date truther 🙌 lol

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
70ish hours of pretty smooth saving just to get to
Chapter 14 20 phase boss fight, insta kill cutscene move with a character you don't even get to customize their loadout. Had to pretty much start over just to give her some Materia to be useful…They should've patched hold menu for the final part, shits annoying lol

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Alright I wasn't expecting to be stuck here but does anyone have any tips that can help me with this Party Animal side quest?

I'm now stuck on the 4th round of the coliseum fighting the giant toad and two Jokers. The guide says to just run around and survive until the toad gets tired but I don't see how I can build ATB for when the critical moment comes.

It sucks to have to restart from the beginning every time.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Alright I wasn't expecting to be stuck here but does anyone have any tips that can help me with this Party Animal side quest?

I'm now stuck on the 4th round of the coliseum fighting the giant toad and two Jokers. The guide says to just run around and survive until the toad gets tired but I don't see how I can build ATB for when the critical moment comes.

It sucks to have to restart from the beginning every time.
I used Yuffie here and spammed ranged attacks to deal with the Jokers first. The toad can be ignored until they are dealt with first, since you need to take them out (or at least stagger them, I think) before they unleash an attack that one-shots your party. You can reliably play keep away to force them to pressure themselves.

I also had Tifa and Cloud for these fights and had them use their stagger increasing attacks whenever the Jokers got pressured, and when one of them got staggered I did Unbridled Strength -> Omnistrike loops to drain their HP fast. Everyone also had a means to heal each other in case things got dicey (Cure for Cloud/Tifa, Pray for Yuffie).

Once the toad is by itself the fight is basically already won. The fifth fight that comes after this has an enemy with a hard-to-dodge attack that can hit for 9999 damage, so be sure to bring at least one way to revive party members.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
I used Yuffie here and spammed ranged attacks to deal with the Jokers first. The toad can be ignored until they are dealt with first, since you need to take them out (or at least stagger them, I think) before they unleash an attack that one-shots your party. You can reliably play keep away to force them to pressure themselves.

I also had Tifa and Cloud for these fights and had them use their stagger increasing attacks whenever the Jokers got pressured, and when one of them got staggered I did Unbridled Strength -> Omnistrike loops to drain their HP fast. Everyone also had a means to heal each other in case things got dicey (Cure for Cloud/Tifa, Pray for Yuffie).

Once the toad is by itself the fight is basically already won. The fifth fight that comes after this has an enemy with a hard-to-dodge attack that can hit for 9999 damage, so be sure to bring at least one way to revive party members.

Switched Aerith for Yuffie and ran around like a mad man for that round.

It worked though!

The Last round was easy by comparison @_@

Vargas

Oct 27, 2017
Finally got the Virtually Renowned trophy, finished the game a month ago and the Brutal and Legendary bouts were no joke. Just need one more trinket for the 7 Star Hotel trophy and I can finally start Hard mode to get the plat and put this game to bed.

tmdorsey

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
Finally caught up with thread and major kudos to all for no open spoilers and appropriately labeling chapters when posted spoiler text!

So I'm at the end of chapter 12 at 123 hrs. I've 100% a couple of regions and basically being doing side content til I get burned out and then progressing the story. At this point I was clearing some some VR missions and got to the Head Case one. Think I'm definitely ready to take a break from them now. LOL.

Some questions/thoughts:

I checked out the video earlier posted of the Chapter 12 Boss Fight with Rufus and jeez I feel like I really need to start over from scratch and rethink all my material build outs. Shows the importance of reading and comprehending what support, passive and synergy skills actually do.

One question I have:

By the point I am, should I have all weapons for all the party members? Is it just a matter of checking the weapon shops in each reach to see if any new weapons are available for purchase?

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Finally caught up with thread and major kudos to all for no open spoilers and appropriately labeling chapters when posted spoiler text!

So I'm at the end of chapter 12 at 123 hrs. I've 100% a couple of regions and basically being doing side content til I get burned out and then progressing the story. At this point I was clearing some some VR missions and got to the Head Case one. Think I'm definitely ready to take a break from them now. LOL.

Some questions/thoughts:

I checked out the video earlier posted of the Chapter 12 Boss Fight with Rufus and jeez I feel like I really need to start over from scratch and rethink all my material build outs. Shows the importance of reading and comprehending what support, passive and synergy skills actually do.

One question I have:

By the point I am, should I have all weapons for all the party members? Is it just a matter of checking the weapon shops in each reach to see if any new weapons are available for purchase?
IIRC Cait Sith should have 7, Aerith 5 (although a side quest in Chapter 12 gives her access to her 6th one, and it's one you very much want to have if you are continuing the Corel region Protorelic quests), and everyone else should have 6.

FrozenIn

Feb 26, 2024
Yuffie's animations are some of the best I've ever seen in a game, totally nailed the annoying manic energy of some teenagers

Yeah, they got the restless teen thing done very well. Even the songs she keep doing reminds me of me making up simple lyrics to basic tunes when I was a kid. (Final Fantasy fans other than XVI fans are old after all).

There was also the running animation when she greets the main team the first time, that classic fast anime running. Found it funny, will try to grab a shot on playthrough (whenever that happens).

tmdorsey

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
IIRC Cait Sith should have 7, Aerith 5 (although a side quest in Chapter 12 gives her access to her 6th one, and it's one you very much want to have if you are continuing the Corel region Protorelic quests), and everyone else should have 6.

Actually thanks for the tip, I was just about to start those protorelic quests.

Cool. Thanks!

Kindekuma

It's Pronounced "Aerith"
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Really didn't enjoy the Chapter 11 dungeon. The arc for where the boxes should fly hardly lined up, movement is awkward, and it just overstayed the welcome. Still better than the Sewers in Remake lol

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Chapter 10

The Gi sure have it rough. Letting them have the black materia isn't an option, but I wonder if the party will (optionally?) help them in VIIR-3, maybe convince the lifestream to liberalize its immigration policy.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
Jesus christ what's with the sudden spike in difficulty for Corel intel 2?

EDIT:

pulled it off, but it was pretty nail biting @_@

Last edited:

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Someone please help me with this Malboro + King Zu fight. This combo is just absolutely wrecking me and of course it's the literal last fight of the Battle Square.

I have a Ribbon and Elemental + Wind on Aerith (I found this more useful than Fire), and brought along Barret and Yuffie. The AI is so terrible at dodging Bad Breath even when I attack the mouth the moment I can, so once I lose control it's nearly impossible to bring it back.

I'm trying to focus down the King Zu first since it has that insta-kill attack, but the Malboro is such a nuisance even if I deal with Bad Breath.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
For bad breath I just put resist on magnify and make sure to refresh it.

I also used 'stop' on the Zu a lot to give me space to breathe

edit I have a vid, I also put fire->elemental on Cait and Red's armour to kill the wings I think. Red uses his vengeance gauge for healing

Last edited:

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
So, the HP<>MP materia....you're supposed to put it on a backup party member and use them for out-of-combat healing, right? Kind of mean you find it in a section without backup members, if so.

speiky

"This guy are sick" says the Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
Just wrapped up the Platinum…now what? :(
Guess I'll give Crisis Core Reunion a whirl.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
At 66 hours, a bunch of new side content opened up.

At 77 hours I had finished all that content - only for something super high level to open up and a new mini-game extravaganza.

No thanks Rebirth, I love you to bits, but nope. I spent 11 hours putting off the main story to clear the map and then I'm hit with more…

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Well. Finally there. Pausing before the final boss fight. I'm not sure if I want to do it tonight or tomorrow.

I'm very teary over everything right now lol, I may be too in my feels to do the final boss, though it's going to make me cry tomorrow anyway haha.

Also, phew. I can take or leave in game Seph model sometimes, but CGI Seph has me feeling some sort of way. I feel 14 again and want to write fanfic over CGI Seph lol.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Just got to Junon, in uniform.

This game just keeps getting better. Love the character moments, combat system continues to be incredibly satisfying.

Taking it kinda slow as I'm trying out a bunch of random games via PS+, but it's a damn shame this didn't sell more copies.

speiky

Oct 28, 2017
Forgot how bad MP absorb was in Remake/Intermission. Very different from Rebirth. Hope they keep it how it is in Rebirth.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Chapter 11

Gallian Beast kicked my ass. Took me three tries; when I won two of my characters were knocked out and Cait Sith was down to critical health when I hit a final Moogle Knuckle.

I suspect this was very much the intended experience.

Leeness

Oct 27, 2017
Chapter 11

Gallian Beast kicked my ass. Took me three tries; when I won two of my characters were knocked out and Cait Sith was down to critical health when I hit a final Moogle Knuckle.

I suspect this was very much the intended experience.

Yep haha.

He's so fast and aggressive, you really have to be on your toes. I also got my ass beat by him a time or two before clutching it out.

J-Wood

Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to throw controller through the wall. 4 tries on the final boss fight.

4 times he's almost dead and then launches an undodgable attack that instantly kills me. What the fuck.

Finally did it by saving limit breaks holy shit

Last edited:

speiky

Oct 28, 2017
I'm about to throw controller through the wall. 4 tries on the final boss fight.

4 times he's almost dead and then launches an undodgable attack that instantly kills me. What the fuck.

Finally did it by saving limit breaks holy shit
Very similar to how Remake's final boss in hard mode expected you to save your limit breaks. At least one.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
Have returned to this and done the legendary challenges for Yuffie and Cait Sith, picking the characters I'm least confident on first. Next I'm going to do Cloud or Barret though I think, both of these took a long time to work out

I figure it's better to do the legendary ones first (at least the first seven) so that I can figure out as much about each character before doing the brutal ones which seem harder. With Cait Sith I learned how to use his dodges, but mainly how to parry during his spell casting and attacks. A lot of people ignore a huge amount of his fundamentals I think and miss out on how the character is to be played. The scorpion you fight in his third fight is an excellent demonstration, you have to learn to to and fro with it. Or find some cheesy way around it, maybe

These challenges are pretty hard so I don't think I'm going to do them all in one stretch, I'll burn out if I do. Just do a bit now and then

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Have returned to this and done the legendary challenges for Yuffie and Cait Sith, picking the characters I'm least confident on first. Next I'm going to do Cloud or Barret though I think, both of these took a long time to work out

I figure it's better to do the legendary ones first (at least the first seven) so that I can figure out as much about each character before doing the brutal ones which seem harder. With Cait Sith I learned how to use his dodges, but mainly how to parry during his spell casting and attacks. A lot of people ignore a huge amount of his fundamentals I think and miss out on how the character is to be played. The scorpion you fight in his third fight is an excellent demonstration, you have to learn to to and fro with it. Or find some cheesy way around it, maybe

These challenges are pretty hard so I don't think I'm going to do them all in one stretch, I'll burn out if I do. Just do a bit now and then

The legendary challenges do a pretty good job in teaching you how to use the characters with the enemy lineup but doesn't really push your character to the limit. I feel like they would have served better as a mid-game refreshers instead of as an end-game challenge. The beginner tutorials, in hindsight, were pretty lackluster even as an initial look at the characters.

Soriku

Nov 12, 2017
Ok, the game started losing me a bit during Gongaga and Cosmo Canyon. I appreciate them varying up the mechanics per region, but those two regions in particular were not the best to explore (Cosmo Canyon moreso- I just used videos to point me everywhere to save myself the headache, but Gongaga was a little too dense). I'm back on board with Nibel though. The Chocojet mechanic is fun and makes it easy to get around.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
After my little whinge above, I did suck it up and became the ultimate party animal - so at least I have that trophy to pay- off all the time my wife and I sunk in.

Part way through C13 now.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Well, I got to the start of Chapter 13. Gonna spend my free time over the week doing sidequest cleanup region-by-region, and hopefully I'll be clear to finish next weekend.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Done with Hard mode. Overall fairly disappointed as the mode doesn't really push the combat system. I had difficulty with (ch.11 and 14) Galian Beast, which is actually aggressive and fast enough that it's not easy to setup a snowball against it, and final boss which spreads your materias out really thin which does help in increasing boss survivability indirectly (I got blown up by gigaflare once because I was completely not ready for when it triggered it). I also forgot to equip Aerith with materia as I completely forgot she comes back for the final phase so that made things a little complicated at the end too.

I think the enemy damage output in hard mode is pretty spot on and if things can just survive the initial ATB dump from the player then it would probably work pretty well. MP absorption completely neutralizes the limitation from lack of items which makes it very easy to get to bosses with full resources, and only half the chapters really had dungeons that might wear you down. If I replay the story later, I will definitely try additional limitations (no mp absorption, and maybe no -ga spells so stun lock is a little harder to come by) to see if that makes the experience a bit more engaging.

I was also super confused why I didn't have all the manuscripts after beating hard mode, and completely forgot that gold saucer arena exists. I'll clean up stuff there, then the leftover simulator challenge stuff (I was also a bit disappointed that challenge stuff is entirely of the endurance variety and there weren't real single, super boss type challenges at all. Hopefully weapons will fix that in the next game), then I will be done with the game for now.

Last edited:

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
At 152 hours, I've done literally everything in Dynamic difficulty now; all that are left are the Chadley Brutal/Legendary combat sims and the entirety of Hard mode.

I'm… not sure I'll ever be mentally prepared to take these on lol. After being walled by the final Battle Square challenge for hours before finally beating it (that Malboro + Fire Zu combo was just the absolute worst), I don't wanna suffer through all that again. And that was only a 2-round challenge, not the 10 rounds the combat sim ones offer.

As tempting as it is to shoot for the platinum after essentially 100%ing the game without tackling New Game+, I think this is where I'm gonna end things unless I end up with a lot more free time on my hands.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
Done with Hard mode. Overall fairly disappointed as the mode doesn't really push the combat system. I had difficulty with (ch.11 and 14) Galian Beast, which is actually aggressive and fast enough that it's not easy to setup a snowball against it, and final boss which spreads your materias out really thin which does help in increasing boss survivability indirectly (I got blown up by gigaflare once because I was completely not ready for when it triggered it). I also forgot to equip Aerith with materia as I completely forgot she comes back for the final phase so that made things a little complicated at the end too.

I think the enemy damage output in hard mode is pretty spot on and if things can just survive the initial ATB dump from the player then it would probably work pretty well. MP absorption completely neutralizes the limitation from lack of items which makes it very easy to get to bosses with full resources, and only half the chapters really had dungeons that might wear you down. If I replay the story later, I will definitely try additional limitations (no mp absorption, and maybe no -ga spells so stun lock is a little harder to come by) to see if that makes the experience a bit more engaging.

I was also super confused why I didn't have all the manuscripts after beating hard mode, and completely forgot that gold saucer arena exists. I'll clean up stuff there, then the leftover simulator challenge stuff (I was also a bit disappointed that challenge stuff is entirely of the endurance variety and there weren't real single, super boss type challenges at all. Hopefully weapons will fix that in the next game), then I will be done with the game for now.

Yeah, I think the multi round challanges are fine but I was also missing that single difficult super boss encounter. Though when I think about it we got Weiss only in Intermission and not base Remake. Pride and Joy was also in a multi round battle.
I hope in P3 we get a real brutal single fight encounter as well.

I also finished hard mode 2 days ago and:

Galian beast was also the first encounter that really gave me trouble. Killed me a few times. The final Sephiroth fight also got me.

In the final Roche fight I obliterated him but then he switched phases and almost instakilled me. Reprieve saved me and I could clutch it out.

I played around a lot with Cloud, darkside, sonic boom and Genji Gloves to get huge numbers with Infinity's End. Was a fun to get those huge hits off.
[/SPOILER]

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2018
For those of you who have got the Plat, what was your build for Cloud for the last two legendary fights? Bonds of Friendship, by the time I made it to Bahamut I felt like I had a handicap going into the fight and got absolutely wrecked with how fast his attacks were. I imagine the next fight is worse.