What party member are you looking forward to playing as the most?

• Cloud

Votes: 228 18.7%
  • Barrett

Votes: 48 3.9%
  • Tifa

Votes: 307 25.2%
  • Aerith

Votes: 54 4.4%
  • Red XIII

Votes: 215 17.7%
  • Yuffie

Votes: 207 17.0%
  • Cait Sith

Votes: 159 13.1%

• Total voters

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I think the multi round challanges are fine but I was also missing that single difficult super boss encounter. Though when I think about it we got Weiss only in Intermission and not base Remake. Pride and Joy was also in a multi round battle.
I hope in P3 we get a real brutal single fight encounter as well.

I also finished hard mode 2 days ago and:

Galian beast was also the first encounter that really gave me trouble. Killed me a few times. The final Sephiroth fight also got me.

In the final Roche fight I obliterated him but then he switched phases and almost instakilled me. Reprieve saved me and I could clutch it out.

I played around a lot with Cloud, darkside, sonic boom and Genji Gloves to get huge numbers with Infinity's End. Was a fun to get those huge hits off.
[/SPOILER]

Yeah it's unfortunate there isn't anything with enough HP where a full power infinity doesn't end in overkill.

For those of you who have got the Plat, what was your build for Cloud for the last two legendary fights? Bonds of Friendship, by the time I made it to Bahamut I felt like I had a handicap going into the fight and got absolutely wrecked with how fast his attacks were. I imagine the next fight is worse.

For bahamut just sit in punisher mode and use counterfire for the attacks that are projectiles. The only thing that needs to be dodged is the throw.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia

Ok, I've been using this build where I'm at in the late chapters and goodness I'm loving it! It's not fool-proof or unstoppable against every enemy, but when it gets rolling, it basically turns Yuffie into a WMD.

Chapter 13 Elena, that's what you get for talking shit and having a weakness to lightining! Haha LOL

Limit breaks question. So I'm nearing the end of a 130+ run and I've never seen a greater than a level 1 limit break. Getting the higher limit breaks is simply a matter of just saving them up?

Last edited:

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Ok, I've been using this build where I'm at in the late chapters and goodness I'm loving it! It's not fool-proof or unstoppable against every enemy, but when it gets rolling, it basically turns Yuffie into a WMD. Chapter 13 Elena, that's what you get for talking shit and having a weakness to lightining! Haha LOL

Limit breaks question. So I'm nearing the end of a 130+ run and I've never seen a greater than a level 1 limit break. Getting the higher limit breaks is simply a matter of just saving them up?
All limits use the same gauge. You need to use Synergy skills that say they raise your limit level before you can use level 2 (or 3) limits. Level three limits also need to be unlocked on characters' grids first.

There is also the Expeditionary Medal accessory that you can craft that will automatically raise limit level to 2 - while the enhanced version (needing one of the limited Gold Saucer items) will raise the character's level to 3/max.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
All limits use the same gauge. You need to use Synergy skills that say they raise your limit level before you can use level 2 (or 3) limits. Level three limits also need to be unlocked on characters' grids first.

There is also the Expeditionary Medal accessory that you can craft that will automatically raise limit level to 2 - while the enhanced version (needing one of the limited Gold Saucer items) will raise the character's level to 3/max.

I guess my real question is so you have to use that synergy skill that raises you limit level multiple times before the level raises?

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
To hit level 3, yes. But no, using it once will make the level 2 limits available for those characters in that particular battle.

Gotcha. Just looked up the limit breaks for Cloud and I was calculating the levels wrong. For some stupid reason I was thinking Ascension was level 1. SMDH.

Where I'm at in this play through, I don't think I have enough content left to unlock the level 3 breaks though. :-/

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Gotcha. Just looked up the limit breaks for Cloud and I was calculating the levels wrong. For some stupid reason I was thinking Ascension was level 1. SMDH.

Where I'm at in this play through, I don't think I have enough content left to unlock the level 3 breaks though. :-/
I mean, you can always reset whoever you want and reallocate all their points lol.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
I can't with this bonds of friendship challenge. I have now been trying this on and off for around a month now and I just can't get past round 9 consistently! I've only ever made it to the final round twice in like 15+ hours spent on this challenge alone. I've been following Optinoob's strategy exactly. I can consistently make it through the first 8 round releatively okay, but even then I still do trip up on some of them every now and then. Round 9 though is when it mostly goes pear shaped. Due to RNG or whatever, it never always plays out as positively as it does for Optinoob.

I hate these multi round challenges so fucking much. There's nothing challenging about them. It just creates frustration, anger and time wasting. I literally get one shot to practice round 9 every 10-15 mins and if I mess up, that's another 10-15 mins before I can try again. This challenge has completely shit on my overall experience with this game which I thought was amazing going into it but has now totally soured me on it. Sorry, but i just needed to vent.

At this point if there are any chesse strategies or anything that will help just knock this challenge out I'd appreciate it!

Last edited:

ScOULaris

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm about to throw controller through the wall. 4 tries on the final boss fight.

4 times he's almost dead and then launches an undodgable attack that instantly kills me. What the fuck.

Finally did it by saving limit breaks holy shit

Yeah. Took me three tries for the same reason. Absolute dog shit design decision in my opinion. Almost impossible for anyone to not have to redo the entire fight at least once because there's no way to anticipate that.

speiky

"This guy are sick" says the Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
I can't with this bonds of friendship challenge. I have now been trying this on and off for around a month now and I just can't get past round 9 consistently! I've only ever made it to the final round twice in like 15+ hours spent on this challenge alone. I've been following Optinoob's strategy exactly. I can consistently make it through the first 8 round releatively okay, but even then I still do trip up on some of them every now and then. Round 9 though is when it mostly goes pear shaped. Due to RNG or whatever, it never always plays out as positively as it does for Optinoob.

I hate these multi round challenges so fucking much. There's nothing challenging about them. It just creates frustration, anger and time wasting. I literally get one shot to practice round 9 every 10-15 mins and if I mess up, that's another 10-15 mins before I can try again. This challenge has completely shit on my overall experience with this game which I thought was amazing going into it but has now totally soured me on it. Sorry, but i just needed to vent.

At this point if there are any chesse strategies or anything that will help just knock this challenge out I'd appreciate it!

The most important thing for me was to always have 2 ATB ready for the wings. I also practiced the fight a few times Regular Bahamut Challange [/SPOILER] to get familiar with the moveset so I know how to parry/dodge. Counterfire also helped.

It also took me a few tries. Sucks when it doesn't work out due to RNG but I'm sure you will get it.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
The most important thing for me was to always have 2 ATB ready for the wings. I also practiced the fight a few times Regular Bahamut Challange [/SPOILER] to get familiar with the moveset so I know how to parry/dodge. Counterfire also helped.

It also took me a few tries. Sucks when it doesn't work out due to RNG but I'm sure you will get it.

Thanks. Yep I try my best following Optinoob's strategy closely. I tend to have 2 full ATB bars one for each wing whenever he's charging his particle. I guess I'm not quick enough to prevent him from going into Neo Drive mode and everything that follows after. I've praticed the fight in the individal VR challenge itself at full might and I have no problem there and the strategy just works, but it's completely different in this particular round 9 challenge though. He hits so much harder and RNG plays a role.

I honestly wouldn't mind as much if I could just get back and retry the fight again and again. My biggest problem is the the time wasting aspect of spending 10-15 mins each time getting there. Such a stupid design decision. At least put a midway checkpoint at round 5 or something.

Mephissto

Mar 8, 2024
Thanks. Yep I try my best following Optinoob's strategy closely. I tend to have 2 full ATB bars one for each wing whenever he's charging his particle. I guess I'm not quick enough to prevent him from going into Neo Drive mode and everything that follows after. I've praticed the fight in the individal VR challenge itself at full might and I have no problem there and the strategy just works, but it's completely different in this particular round 9 challenge though. He hits so much harder and RNG plays a role.

I honestly wouldn't mind as much if I could just get back and retry the fight again and again. My biggest problem is the the time wasting aspect of spending 10-15 mins each time getting there. Such a stupid design decision. At least put a midway checkpoint at round 5 or something.

Yeah I am also not a fan of the 10 rounds. 5 is bearable but I rather have these crazy fights against one dude in one round. If they want to have this many rounds they should at least let you practice the individual round if you have been there and a checkpoint after 5 as well. I agree.

swimming

Oct 27, 2017
how much game do i have left about to do the fight for the keycard in ch 12 -- bumped it down to easy mode and just want to mainline it through at this point

Oct 25, 2017
Going back to finish stuff before I get to the last stages of the story and I came across that Fort Condor that everyone seems to hate

Did the first 2 games in a couple tries, had to turn down difficulty for the 3rd and then the 4th took like 5-6 tries on the easier difficulty and was super annoying, I'm glad I somehow skipped it the first time going through that region lol

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Yeah I am also not a fan of the 10 rounds. 5 is bearable but I rather have these crazy fights against one dude in one round. If they want to have this many rounds they should at least let you practice the individual round if you have been there and a checkpoint after 5 as well. I agree.

Bond of friendship challenge done! Can't believe I spent 15 hours or so hours on that. Only one more to go now. Hopefully it's not as frustrating!

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Done with arena fights. I think I liked the arena stuff more than the simulation stuff overall. With the simulation challenges, you only take one team into the fight so the team is just completely decked out and stuff just don't survive the initial onslaught. With arena you need to equip 6 characters so that waters down equipment/materia and character combinations enough that there are decisions that need to be made (all in on the harder one and hope the easier one works out, or split more evenly). Simulation challenges are probably still harder on paper due to length but I felt that the arena stuff was more engaging since I needed to choose which team to match up with which round, and since I went with a more balanced setup for my 6 characters I actually needed to make a few reads and plays instead of things just blowing up immediately.

UltraInstinct

Nov 19, 2017
Grats! Last one is rulers of the outer World? Good luck with it :) With the brumal form it is not that bad and even with "normal" builds it is possible but ver difficult.

Thanks! I've just checked and the last legendary challenge remaining is 'To Be A Hero'.

'Rules of Outer World' I think was the last Brutal challenge. The Brumal Form trick carried me through that one

GalaxyDive

Oct 25, 2017
Going back to finish stuff before I get to the last stages of the story and I came across that Fort Condor that everyone seems to hate

Did the first 2 games in a couple tries, had to turn down difficulty for the 3rd and then the 4th took like 5-6 tries on the easier difficulty and was super annoying, I'm glad I somehow skipped it the first time going through that region lol
I loved Fort Condor in Intermission - and while its particuar use in Rebirth is deliciously done from a fanservice perspective, the actual gameplay is far less enjoyable. Too difficult and too few options.

brain_

What is a tag? A miserable pile of words.
May 13, 2021
MO
Grats! Last one is rulers of the outer World? Good luck with it :) With the brumal form it is not that bad and even with "normal" builds it is possible but ver difficult.
Thanks! I've just checked and the last legendary challenge remaining is 'To Be A Hero'.

'Rules of Outer World' I think was the last Brutal challenge. The Brumal Form trick carried me through that one
Which is the last brutal I have lol
EX6Q8e9XkAI5Rd-.jpg

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
So basically I need to kill Sephiroth before he gets off his final Octoslash or time Aerith's level 2 limit break where it's applied before he gets it off? Cause it seems like the final one he does when his health is low is a one-shot kill.

Also, I kinda agree with a comment made early in the thread that there are probably too many systems to manage and I believe over half my deaths have come from me watching the damn gauges too much and not focusing on the enemies.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Done with arena fights. I think I liked the arena stuff more than the simulation stuff overall. With the simulation challenges, you only take one team into the fight so the team is just completely decked out and stuff just don't survive the initial onslaught. With arena you need to equip 6 characters so that waters down equipment/materia and character combinations enough that there are decisions that need to be made (all in on the harder one and hope the easier one works out, or split more evenly). Simulation challenges are probably still harder on paper due to length but I felt that the arena stuff was more engaging since I needed to choose which team to match up with which round, and since I went with a more balanced setup for my 6 characters I actually needed to make a few reads and plays instead of things just blowing up immediately.
Yeah the 10 round sims are just tedious especially when the most challenging rounds are usually save to the last 2.

The arena is much more fun with figuring out team comp and materia loadouts and its short.

Pat_DC

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah the 10 round sims are just tedious especially when the most challenging rounds are usually save to the last 2.

The arena is much more fun with figuring out team comp and materia loadouts and its short.
I haven't made it to the arena yet as got side tracked with other games but wondering if it loads faster than the VR challenges?
Really stood out with how slow VR stuff loads compared to everything else in the game, kind of puts me off it.

Mr.Fletcher

Nov 18, 2017
UK
Finished this last night on 88 hours and 17 minutes. I did everything - bar the final level 70 challenge.

It's a monster of a game, but a truly wonderful, unique experience. I don't think I've ever played anything quite like it.

It's not flawless obviously, but it's spectacular in all the ways that matter to me. It feels like a true adventure in a way I don't think I've seen captured before, or very rarely.

The final couple of hours are crazy!

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't made it to the arena yet as got side tracked with other games but wondering if it loads faster than the VR challenges?
Really stood out with how slow VR stuff loads compared to everything else in the game, kind of puts me off it.
I think its a bit quicker yes but also has a really weird issue ever since the latest patch where the framerate absolutely tanks during combat on performance mode. Like down to 20. It usually happens the most in the arena for some reason.

I need to test but it could be related to Aerith's Radiant Ward ability.

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Made it to Chapter 7 and man this game has some catchy tunes. Will have to give the full soundtrack a listen after I finish it.

Also glad I've gotten used to the framerate in Quality mode now. Obviously doesn't feel as smooth as 60, but gotten to the point where it doesn't really matter to me anymore (save for some mini games).

BladeX

Oct 30, 2017
One other thing I wish SE decides to change for part 3 (that they actually wont, but anyway) is those stupid, totally cringe-y, EVIL LAUGHS...

It's ridiculous. I know they are trying to stay true to the original, however the original used text. And it is totally different to represent "Buwahahahaha" text with an actual voice actor.

Hojo specifically is just unbearable. It's not the actor's fault, it is the director's. That "evil" laugh makes Hojo sound more like a joke rather than a threat. And it is not just Hojo, there are several characters displaying the same cringe-y behavior. Also, no evil person ever laughs like that... it is just stupid no matter how you look at it...

Now, there is 0% chance SE actually does something about this, but whatever, I had my say. :P

SlickVic

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Hope I don't have to do the Crunch off mini game again for a side quest or main story beat. Feel I already got more than my fill of it the first time lol.

ChocoBuddy

Banned
Apr 9, 2024
I need to examine the brain of whoever designed

the dual summon boss fights. Genuinely very badly designed.

The higher difficulty of these fights also exposes how bad stunlocking can be in this game, and I'm not sure why they're so reluctant to give invincibility frames on recovery. It feels even worse when getting hit by Odin from a stunlock is way more punishing than other summons.

WadiumArcadium

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
UK
Hope I don't have to do the Crunch off mini game again for a side quest or main story beat. Feel I already got more than my fill of it the first time lol.
I'm almost 110 hours in now and haven't encountered it again, so you should be safe!

I've been steadily making my way through the manageable side content before seeing out the story. The final side quest was a bit of a pain - I'm not sure how I would have beaten the 3D Brawler fights without reading the pausing tip - but that's ticked off as well now. I was planning to finish off the protorelic quest, but I didn't know it had a recommended level of 65 until I made it there! Seeing Cloud is only at 49, I guess I'll be leaving that until I've finished the story.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
I need to examine the brain of whoever designed

the dual summon boss fights. Genuinely very badly designed.

The higher difficulty of these fights also exposes how bad stunlocking can be in this game, and I'm not sure why they're so reluctant to give invincibility frames on recovery. It feels even worse when getting hit by Odin from a stunlock is way more punishing than other summons.

I think the duo summon fights were fairly well designed. The pairing made sense in that one is an aggressive melee and the other is more passived/ranged. Titan/Bahamut doesn't fit but their mechanic makes it easy to disable them and blow up Titan quickly so they took that into account as well.

In regards to stunlocking, I agree that any further increase in aggression would likely make it not feel as good in practice, even though Remake/Rebirth did a good job in making sure that damage from individual hits are fairly modest in damage. I think a stun breaker like Yuffie's Blindside really should be a baseline inclusion for most, if not all, characters in the next game, especially if they decide to escalate encounter design further just so it still feels good to play.

kakteen

Apr 9, 2024
Hi so because this my first time posting in a OT, I would like to ask what OT means? Clearly not Off topic, is it on topic?

And now to rebirth: I bought the game and will probably play it in a few weeks/months. Currently trying to 100% Remake. My question would be did they finally make equipping materia not annoying and is grinding materia now better? Because in Remake the only way to grind is doing the first fight of a simulator mission over and over and over (same as in integrade) with only having one double FP Materia and you have stuff like HP-Up that takes ages. And then you even spent like 30min figuring out which Materia you want to use, because there are so many duplicated and navigating through all of them is annoying.

Also is this game easy playable over months without loosing track of progress and the story ( I did beat the mainstory of the og ff7 last year), because then I will probably just play it and return sometime later to Remake to beat weiss and best integrade on hard mode.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Hi so because this my first time posting in a OT, I would like to ask what OT means? Clearly not Off topic, is it on topic?

And now to rebirth: I bought the game and will probably play it in a few weeks/months. Currently trying to 100% Remake. My question would be did they finally make equipping materia not annoying and is grinding materia now better? Because in Remake the only way to grind is doing the first fight of a simulator mission over and over and over (same as in integrade) with only having one double FP Materia and you have stuff like HP-Up that takes ages. And then you even spent like 30min figuring out which Materia you want to use, because there are so many duplicated and navigating through all of them is annoying.

Also is this game easy playable over months without loosing track of progress and the story ( I did beat the mainstory of the og ff7 last year), because then I will probably just play it and return sometime later to Remake to beat weiss and best integrade on hard mode.

Official thread if I'm not mistaken.

Equipping materia is still fairly tedious, but grinding is extremely fast. I was done in just over an hour in getting everything maxed after entering post game.

I think taking this game slow will probably work well. The story isn't really moving at a fast pace.

kakteen

Apr 9, 2024
Official thread if I'm not mistaken.

Equipping materia is still fairly tedious, but grinding is extremely fast. I was done in just over an hour in getting everything maxed after entering post game.

I think taking this game slow will probably work well. The story isn't really moving at a fast pace.
thank you very much. That is quite good to hear. I guess the last two questions would be:

1. could you go back playing remake or did the battlesystem change that much that it is quite difficult

2. How is the hard mode? I heard that some people really like the "no mp healing and no items" while I actually found it quite annoying in Remake. Because in the end you have like 99x items of almost anything and can't use it. Also it was more punishing instead of trying to experiment to make it through. I would much like it more if you could have used items in between of fights.

Last edited:

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
I told myself I wasn't gonna do the Brutal/Legendary combat challenges yet here I am with just finishing up the final Brutal challenge this morning.

I got tempted by Youtube strategies lol. I was like "oh, that looks doable and I barely need to do any grinding to get my materia ready!".

*10 hours later*

At least I only have the Legendary ones left and only one of those is supposedly as difficult as the hardest Brutal ones. I'm gonna see this thing through when I find the time again.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
thank you very much. That is quite good to hear. I guess the last two questions would be:

1. could you go back playing remake or did the battlesystem change that much that it is quite difficult

2. How is the hard mode? I heard that some people really like the "no mp healing and no items" while I actually found it quite annoying in Remake. Because in the end you have like 99x items of almost anything and can't use it. Also it was more punishing instead of trying to experiment to make it through. I would much like it more if you could have used items in between of fights.

1. I can't recall remake clearly enough to comment.

2. Hard mode isn't as well balanced as Remake in my opinion, for better and worse. Player side power creep and new options that are available effectively makes the primary limitation of hard mode a non-issue. For overworld you can recover MP from chocobo stops. For dungeons they are generally a lot shorter than their Remake counterpart. Even for the long ones it's not an issue since MP absorption goes up to .3% now instead of just being .1% the two characters that have that materia equipped effectively have infinite mp, and a third can have half-mp materia. My biggest issue in hard mode was swapping materia around. When you are just pushing critical path the game actually makes you switch characters fairly rapidly so the lack of loadout was a lot more noticeable during my hard mode run.

Tea-Stance

Feb 11, 2024
Just got to the final chapter on Hard Mode and am preparing my team for the final battles.

What determines my party throughout the fight? Specifically the wings section of Sephiroth Reborn. I've seen mixed reports on it being random or tied to actions in the Jenova fight.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Just got to the final chapter on Hard Mode and am preparing my team for the final battles.

What determines my party throughout the fight? Specifically the wings section of Sephiroth Reborn. I've seen mixed reports on it being random or tied to actions in the Jenova fight.

From just the first two attempts I feel like it's random. It's going to choose 3 of 5, then choose the 2 that weren't chosen first and then 1 of the first 3 will get a second go. I can't even tell if anything in the Jenova part indicates that it would have an effect on the later stuff. If there is anything there it's really vague.

tmdorsey

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 26, 2017
Georgia
I told myself I wasn't gonna do the Brutal/Legendary combat challenges yet here I am with just finishing up the final Brutal challenge this morning.

I got tempted by Youtube strategies lol. I was like "oh, that looks doable and I barely need to do any grinding to get my materia ready!".

*10 hours later*

At least I only have the Legendary ones left and only one of those is supposedly as difficult as the hardest Brutal ones. I'm gonna see this thing through when I find the time again.

I finished the game at 149 hours. I'm telling myself I'm too burnt out to try the combat challenges and Gilgamesh trials, and fighting him, but I continue to have this feeling having unfinished business. So I get it. SMH

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
From just the first two attempts I feel like it's random. It's going to choose 3 of 5, then choose the 2 that weren't chosen first and then 1 of the first 3 will get a second go. I can't even tell if anything in the Jenova part indicates that it would have an effect on the later stuff. If there is anything there it's really vague.
Actually, for my future Hard mode playthrough:

Which party member should I have Assess on? The Bahamut summoned during the final battle is the only one I wasn't able to Assess during my initial playthrough. I even got Virtual Sephiroth done for Brutal 6 during one of my failed attempts at that, so it's just the final boss Bahamut now.

tjlee2

Oct 27, 2017
Actually, for my future Hard mode playthrough:

Which party member should I have Assess on? The Bahamut summoned during the final battle is the only one I wasn't able to Assess during my initial playthrough. I even got Virtual Sephiroth done for Brutal 6 during one of my failed attempts at that, so it's just the final boss Bahamut now.

Any 3 of 5 should cover for all combinations, and you get 2 materia and an earring throughout the game. I think there is a chance to redo your loadout after Jenova but you still have cloud/zack vs seph and cloud vs reborn before team vs bahamut so I don't think you can check who you get then reset the battle. I'm not sure if it would reroll your team if you reset to after Jenova.

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Any 3 of 5 should cover for all combinations, and you get 2 materia and an earring throughout the game. I think there is a chance to redo your loadout after Jenova but you still have cloud/zack vs seph and cloud vs reborn before team vs bahamut so I don't think you can check who you get then reset the battle. I'm not sure if it would reroll your team if you reset to after Jenova.
Oh yeah, I can just do that. I guess at that point I'm fine with sacrificing equipment slots to ensure I get it.