• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

-2B-

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Sep 23, 2018
looking good. much more detailed.

Jerm

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
I like it a lot, the original style is definitely way too cinematic to be an enjoyable gaming experience due to the lighting.

They definitely were a little early on announcing this but it made for a hell of a presentation from Sony that year. I can't understand how people can be members of a gaming enthusiast forum and have no fucking clue how it took four years to develop to this point.

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
It's the closeups where you can see the real difference. The pores, sweat and everything are insane:

8z72433.jpg

Moogle

Top Mog
Oct 27, 2017
Mods please add a new rule for FF7R threads that anyone claiming Cloud has the "body of a pre-teen" or has "skinny arms" must post photo evidence of their own obviously 20-inch biceps.

Fosko

Oct 27, 2017
First directors changed, things were scrapped.

Second, if you look at KH3 trailers before the engine change all that footage made it to final game even the cgi footage some got turned into actual gameplay.
I'm talking about XV trailers shown only months before the actual release, not the whole "versis xii" thing.

ShroudOfFate

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
I like the new model better, but I do feel like his eyes aren't as distinct as they were in 2015. They should be brighter imo but maybe it's just the lighting.

Zetta

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Cloud looks a lot better now but they can keep the old model look for when Tifa finds him on the train station after Zack dies. All these FF7 thread are really making want to replay this game.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
looks tons better. would prefer he looks more like his portrait, but I guess they want a more realistic style, which I'm not fond of personally.

Tigress

Oct 25, 2017
Washington
The newer ones look more realistic/real people but the older ones look more like the original characters if they were put in modern game design. Kinda like the older ones better.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
Like I said in the reveal topic, I like what we got, but I think overall the aesthetic of the 2015 trailer captured my attention more.

I think the biggest thing is the cooler color palette. There's something more gritty and dark to it.

There are aspects of both clouds that I like. His hair certainly looks better, but I like like the sickly, almost dirty looking style they went with before.

Both Barretts look great, the only thing I'll say here is that I like his previous pair of shades slightly more.

Biggs from the original looks miles better to me. I prefer the more serious look and thin eyebrows. His hair also seems more distinct before.

Overall, I think the original trailer looked more distinct, but I wonder how much of that has to do with lighting.

2ndTuXx

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
#TeamSkinnyCloud

I can get used to pudgy cloud, but they need to tone down his arms a bit. There's kinda a huge disproportion there.

Thrill_house

Oct 27, 2017
I personally prefer the 2015 cloud, reeks of mako poisoning and it was nice to see square moving away from traditionally beautiful characters (well... A little bit anyway) he just looks a bit more generic now

I agree with this. I love the rest of the new character models though. Cloud does look better, but I preferred the sickly version as it made more sense. I'll deal though I'm sure. Now I just need to know where each part ends. I kind of want to hold out until I can play the whole thing. 2027 here we come.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Everything in the trailer is just remarkable.

- the facial expressions are amazingly animated. They emote better than Advent Children.

- I really like Cloud's new voice. He seems to act well. Like when he's standing up during Aeris' scene, he seems to say his line while standing up, puffing a bit. Nicely done.

- that cloud close-up with sweat... wow.

Few issues:

- clouds arms (shoulders, particularly) are a tad big. In his meeting with Aeris, he looks overly ripped lol.

- I liked Blade Barret (2015 trailer) a bit more than the current design of 2019. But both are good. Don't know how I feel about the voice actor though.

whatsarobot

Nov 17, 2017
In four years Square released FF VII, VIII, IX, and X.

Modern Square gave us a trailer of a game that will likely be 1/3 of a full experience.

I'm just so frustrated by their lack of output. Replaying XII has me longing for the days of unique worlds, characters and systems. Lower the graphical fidelity if that's what it takes, but no company has stepped into the adventure/RPG gap they left.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2015 colors have a more ff7 feel imo (at least in terms of the midgar atmosphere). but i like the new designs from 2019 better for the most part (not sure about barret, i think i like the old one more)

ffvii_essay_main2.jpg

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
In four years Square released FF VII, VIII, IX, and X.

Modern Square gave us a trailer of a game that will likely be 1/3 of a full experience.

I'm just so frustrated by their lack of output. Replaying XII has me longing for the days of unique worlds, characters and systems. Lower the graphical fidelity if that's what it takes, but no company has stepped into the adventure/RPG gap they left.
yeah i feel you. when you don't really like a FF nowadays you are pretty much done with that series for that generation of consoles as it takes that long to move to the next proper installment that might be more up your sleeve. like i didn't like ff 13 at all but we were stuck with it and 13-2 and 13-3 for that generation (singleplayer mainline ff at least). if it wasnt for 14 which i play every now and then, ff would have been dead for me for that entire generation.

back then if you didn't like the new one you could wait 2 years and get another one which might have been more suited to your taste

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
2015 Cloud design is better, but yeah people didn't get why he should look sick. also Jessie now looks like Kim Kardashian.
I bet the graphics & characters will be tweaked again by launch anyway, so i wouldn't worry about all of it too much yet.

Spaltazar

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
2015 Cloud design is better, but yeah people didn't get why he should look sick. also Jessie now looks like Kim Kardashian.
I bet the graphics & characters will be tweaked again by launch anyway, so i wouldn't worry about all of it too much yet.
new cloud almost looks a bit too friendly and involved. like its been a while since i played 7 but i remember him being pretty distant, detached and not at all that interested in avalanche and its people in the beginning. the 2015 still has that detached/estranged look for cloud imo. The new one doesn't really sell that attitude from what we have seen here so far, but overall i like it a bit more

JahIthBer

Jan 27, 2018
new cloud almost looks a bit too friendly and involved. like its been a while since i played 7 but i remember him being pretty distant, detached and not at all that interested in avalanche and its people in the beginning. the 2015 still has that detached/estranged look for cloud imo. The new one doesn't really sell that attitude from what we have seen here so far, but overall i like it a bit more
Yeah, the 2015 trailer really captured FF7 perfectly imo, we have to see more of this 2019 trailer at E3 to get a better idea.

zswordsman

Nov 5, 2017
I like new cloud. 2015 was a bit too sickly, I can see that model being good for later sections of the game though, when things get rough for cloud but that's like pt. 2-3 stuff if I remember correctly.

2019 Cloud looks likes he'll be able to show emotion besides sadness, which is good because Advent Children cloud is waaay different from FFVII Cloud. He wouldn't be able to pull off that crossdress scene without some acting chops lol

Also his arms look fine, shit I'm surprised he doesn't look like Guts after waving that buster sword around. Having a main protagonist with some muscle for once is fine.

Inuhanyou

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
IIRC, Nomura grudgingly changed the character model of Cloud due to feedback within the team a while ago, it was actually news put out....i can see why he feel that way considering the storyline and what Cloud is supposed to be going through, but they both look alright. The new version looks a bit more like the original rather than story specific.

Only a few more years til we have a 2023 trailer to compare THESE to

Its likely coming out this year or early next

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
- I liked Blade Barret (2015 trailer) a bit more than the current design of 2019. But both are good. Don't know how I feel about the voice actor though.
Barret's voice doesn't compare to Beau Billingslea, who used to portray him before (among other awesome roles, like Jet in Cowboy Bebop), but the issue there is that Beau is 75, and while he still does act a ton, it would be crazy to rely on him for sequels.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Jessie is actually based on how Roberto Ferrari's girlfriend Franca Zoli looked like "in the 90s when they were still just friends".

Deleted member 47076

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 25, 2018
It now looks WAAAAAY more like the original art style, which I prefer to the Advent Children look (though that was interesting for a film).

Honestly my hype has gone up quite a little bit.

noyram23

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest difference is the lighting, specifically the green tinge filter 2015 has, which closely resemble the feel of OG FF7. Personally I just want a Cloud in dress as well as being able to date Barett

Oct 25, 2017
I think the biggest difference is the lighting, specifically the green tinge filter 2015 has, which closely resemble the feel of OG FF7. Personally I just want a Cloud in dress as well as being able to date Barett

I question whether this game will have any sort of dialogue choices.
Rather than the game deciding who to date, you just go to their room and that's the one you go with.