• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Should this thread contain open spoilers?

• Yes

Votes: 1,406 73.4%
  • No

Votes: 510 26.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MegaSackman

Oct 27, 2017
Argentina
I started playing FF7 on switch and I just got to wall market. i'm also just a bit over 2 hours into the game. very interested to see how each location looks in this remake.

is gamescom the next time we see it or is there a chance we get something before then like at SDCC? and then what do they show us next? we've seen 3 bosses, 7th Heaven, and Shinra HQ. I feel like we'll see the church next and the turks.

I also cant wait to see Marlene behind the counter running the bar.

No chance for Red XII on the next showing, right? That could be later.

I wonder how they'll introduce him because in og he appears pretty late in Midgar storyline.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
What resources do Limits take up? Just one atb charge?

The Last One

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is how FF's opening should make
YFXLg4N.gif

jWU3NCC.gif

Not like this, Lol
CavernousSentimentalBeardeddragon-size_restricted.gif

The problem with this comparison is that you can't use the opening from a single entry to create a template for the whole series. Final Fantasy X has a camp fire opening while XIII is a full action train sequence. XV has the car crashed opening while XII is literally a war. There isn't a template for this kind of stuff.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
The opening of FFXV is excellent and would have set the tone brilliantly for the story if the rest of the game were any good.

Koozek

Oct 25, 2017
The only reason I know is because Tim Gettys said so, but he didn't even say how he knows that. He could have read it on the bathroom wall or some shit. The info isn't really out there.
Kitase basically implied it last year and earlier this year Yoshida outright mentioned it:
Will Nobuo Uematsu-san compose the theme song for Shadowbringers?

Naoki Yoshida, Director & Producer: "To be frank, I can't give you an answer. There's definitely a reason. As you may be aware, Uematsu-san has been feeling a bit under the weather. He recently said that he's gotten better, but we can't just have him immediately start working after recovering, and there remains a very important job for him with Final Fantasy VII Remake, and as much as I'd love to ask him to compose if he's in tiptop shape, the call is theirs to make."

Source.

But who knows in what capacity he's involved anyway. Maybe just some supervising while other arrangers and composers do the main work.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Because spending ten plus years remaking one game that wasn't even that long to begin with is kind of pathetic and a sign of terrible, terrible leadership.

But they're really fleshing it out to deliver a quality experience and I think it's worth it.

They'll probably even tweak the plot a bit since this is not a 1:1 remake.

At least, I'm confident this will be good. Would you rather Square release some more garbage main FF titles?

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Sorry to bring up shipping bullshit again, but I'd really like the off-screen 'romance' scene between Tifa and Cloud to be kept in.

How the fuck. Can anyone drive to Junon. SE made us walk through the Midgar Zolom for it

I think it can be easily explained by Shinra having that highway on lockdown.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
I will say, as much as I am a Tifa fanboy, I feel Aerith has been really done dirty by both the public consciousness and SE. In the OG she's a flirty tomboy, but somehow she's been transmogrified into this saintly waif. I feel Aerith's optimistic wordliness is an important part of her character in the original game that is often completely ignored/misinterpreted. What they've shown so far really doesn't give a good indication whether they'll course correct or not.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
Wonder if they will implement a gambit system for the AI.
I'd expect something more like KH games. i'm under the impression that allies in battle cant spend ATB or do limits on their own.

Edit: I should clarify, in KH games you have generic AI options, that's what i expect this game to have if there are AI options. Options like, defensive, offensive, and normal/balanced.

Oct 27, 2017
I will say, as much as I am a Tifa fanboy, I feel Aerith has been really done dirty by both the public consciousness and SE. In the OG she's a flirty tomboy, but somehow she's been transmogrified into this saintly waif. I feel Aerith's optimistic wordliness is an important part of her character in the original game that is often completely ignored/misinterpreted. What they've shown so far really doesn't give a good indication whether they'll course correct or not.

I agree to an extent.

I think it's almost unavoidable, as it's Aerith's death, and her triumph through death, in OG VII that led the character's being viewed as a saint. Until the player back in 1997 reached that point, she was just a mysterious but fun tomboy. This is the thing w/ sainthood -- it's transformative and overwrites the normal humanity of the sainted. Now we're reliving VII in a new gen, but Aerith is already sainted, and you can't fully unring that bell.

There'd be something deeply humane about UN-sainting Aerith in the remake, either by NOT killing her, or by killing her but not allowing that death to lead to triumph. Let her just be a person (well, half-person) again w/ all her peccadilloes. The semiotics of remakes are actually quite fraught!

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
But they're really fleshing it out to deliver a quality experience and I think it's worth it.

They'll probably even tweak the plot a bit since this is not a 1:1 remake.

At least, I'm confident this will be good. Would you rather Square release some more garbage main FF titles?

I'm not particularly excited for thirty hours of filler per episode, at least. I would rather the game be as long as it was on PS1 and split into two pieces than four or five 40-hour games flooded with meaningless side content that only exist to justify a $60 asking price.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not particularly excited for thirty hours of filler per episode, at least. I would rather the game be as long as it was on PS1 and split into two pieces than four or five 40-hour games flooded with meaningless side content that only exist to justify a $60 asking price.
Is It filler? If kishimoto decided to remake Naruto would the New stories he would create for the remake be considered filler If he's the creator of both mangas?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Is It filler? If kishimoto decided to remake Naruto would the New stories he would create for the remake be considered filler If he's the creator of both mangas?

By my standards, yes. I don't need (or want) hours upon hours of Cloud doing busywork for Fort Condor or doing sidequests around Icicle Inn. Anything that gets added to make these games longer is in my opinion filler. The story was already told.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
I agree to an extent.

I think it's almost unavoidable, as it's Aerith's death, and her triumph through death, in OG VII that led the character's being viewed as a saint. Until the player back in 1997 reached that point, she was just a mysterious but fun tomboy. This is the thing w/ sainthood -- it's transformative and overwrites the normal humanity of the sainted. Now we're reliving VII in a new gen, but Aerith is already sainted, and you can't fully unring that bell.

There'd be something deeply humane about UN-sainting Aerith in the remake, either by NOT killing her, or by killing her but not allowing that death to lead to triumph. Let her just be a person (well, half-person) again w/ all her peccadilloes. The semiotics of remakes are actually quite fraught!

I guess to me the issue is that she was NOT someone too good for this sinful world but someone fully engaged in living a full-life. To me that's what makes her sacrifice impactful; how she wasn't necessarily flagged as someone who exists merely to be a sacrificial lamb put a fleshed out person with desires.

LordofPwn

Oct 27, 2017
"filler" seems a bit harsh.

i see this remake project as like an HBO mini series where the original was a direct to DVD movie. story, characters, and setting are all getting fleshed out.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
"filler" seems a bit harsh.

i see this remake project as like an HBO mini series where the original was a direct to DVD movie. story, characters, and setting are all getting fleshed out.

I don't think it needs it. That's the thing. I don't want to spend 40 hours per episode on "fleshing out" a narrative that was already told fine the first time.

VII wasn't some half-thought fever dream of a game like XIII that needed a ton of excess development. It was fine already.

snausages

Feb 12, 2018
I just don't see it being thirty hours anyway. I'm still betting on a 15 hours or so RPG with a shit ton of sidequests and hopefully difficulty modifiers to buff out the playtime. Kind of like Ground Zeroes on a much larger scale

They haven't even really shown a lot of really "new" stuff yet that could be used as filler. Also if the boss fights are as fleshed out as Scorpion, then I don't think there'll be that many of them either.

I don't think any of this would be such a bad outcome. If it's thirty hours or more then there's no way you don't have terrible pacing problems when you're retelling a story with major plot points super spread out.

Scherzo

Nov 27, 2017
Well I feel like the issue is where would you even put extra content without dramatically rearranging the sequence of events? So far we've seen stuff from the first Bombing Mission and its aftermath, stuff leading up to and during the second Bombing mission, and stuff that immediately follows the Walled Market quest. If Aerith joins the party the same way she did in the original, there isn't a lot of space where you can play as her in an open environment, because everything after the second Bombing Mission is pretty propulsive to the next thing. I feel like the only way you could really expand Midgar in a way that would make it feel like a fullgame is if you took an axe to its original structure and greatly expanded it, but it's just hard for me to imagine how anything post-Sector 5 Reactor wouldn't be linear as fuck.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I agree to an extent.

You wrote an interesting post about flanderising a character, then ruined it by suggesting they don't kill Aeris :(

Even as kid Aeris was telling her foster mother, she can hear her dead husband in the lifestream, her cetra powers don't pay off if she doesn't become one with the planet, and the ending would less clear if Holy managed to rise, without that bittersweet last scene of Aeris. A lot Bulgehagem's dialogue about returning to the planet would lose it weight as well

banshee150

Banned
Apr 3, 2019
I just don't see it being thirty hours anyway. I'm still betting on a 15 hours or so RPG with a shit ton of sidequests and hopefully difficulty modifiers to buff out the playtime. Kind of like Ground Zeroes on a much larger scale

They haven't even really shown a lot of really "new" stuff yet that could be used as filler. Also if the boss fights are as fleshed out as Scorpion, then I don't think there'll be that many of them either.

I don't think any of this would be such a bad outcome. If it's thirty hours or more then there's no way you don't have terrible pacing problems when you're retelling a story with major plot points super spread out.
Imagine if we have already seen all the good stuff....

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017

I feel like it would be a huge cheat for them to release a game that's only 15 hours long. Side content should never outweigh real content.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think part 1 will be about 25 hours, just a gut feeling. I guess they will say down the road 40 hours and the developers are exaggerating as they often do. :)

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017

idk, if it's genuine plot developments, I don't think it's filler. Maybe that's just a fundamental disagreement on what constitutes filler, but they're essentially turning VII Remake into a full-on series. Sure, we don't know if it's going to turn out well or not, and we won't really have an idea of that until at least the first part is out, but it's going to be a series of full installments that contribute to a larger narrative. Lord of the Rings could have been a single story, but it was split into 3 books, each with their own conflicts; would those books be considered filler? Same with Avatar: The Last Airbender. The series arc is about fighting the Fire Lord and defeating the Fire Nation, but each season has its own arc too; that didn't mean the seasons leading up to the confrontation itself were filler.

You mention that side content should never outweigh real content, but... doesn't it usually? Like, even if we set aside what you think is filler versus the main game story, most RPGs have pretty meaty side-quest chains and such. You can beat The Witcher 3, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, and Skyrim by going from main quest to main quest, but there's way more side content than there is main scenario questline.

I don't mind her being a little less flirty tomboy post-
death
, but I second this. Having replayed the beginning just a few weeks ago, it was refreshing to see how she's legitimately spunky and stubborn and playful, not just a mystic maiden. All we really have to go on right now is the clip of her seeing ghosts or whatever, so it's hard to tell if they're going to do her right or not. Given how they do seem to be including Cloud's dorkiness rather than just making him forlorn like he is in Kingdom Hearts and the Compilation, I'm hoping they'll do her well.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I don't think it needs it. That's the thing. I don't want to spend 40 hours per episode on "fleshing out" a narrative that was already told fine the first time.

VII wasn't some half-thought fever dream of a game like XIII that needed a ton of excess development. It was fine already.

And there's nothing wrong with trying to improve on a great product.

If the idea bothers you so much then don't buy it or skip Part 1 and buy Part 2.

There are a lot of people(like me)who don't just want FF VII but with better graphics and instead want the original FFVII as a draft for the new FFVII.

Status
Not open for further replies.