• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
inb4 it's a port of the PS4 version with no PS5 upgrades and no Yuffie DLC, since the package name is just "Final Fantasy VII Remake"
When EGS leaked FF7R on their back end months ago it was just "FINAL FANTASY VII REMAKE". There was no mention of Intergrade. Discord even detects the PC version as just Final Fantasy VII Remake, even though its Intergrade.

Chaosblade

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
inb4 it's a port of the PS4 version with no PS5 upgrades and no Yuffie DLC, since the package name is just "Final Fantasy VII Remake"
For $70. Then one year later they delist it and put up Intergrade as another $70 game with no option to existing owners to upgrade. Yes I'm still bitter about DQ.

SaberVS7

Oct 25, 2017
I mean honestly the big thing that made me not cave on buying this isn't even EGS, $70, or apparent port problems.

It's that I'm holding myself to playing all of mainline FF in release-order right now, and I'm not even done with FF2 yet.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
I mean honestly the big thing that made me not cave on buying this isn't even EGS, $70, or apparent port problems.

It's that I'm holding myself to playing all of mainline FF in release-order right now, and I'm not even done with FF2 yet.
That is completely meaningless since all FF are standalone games. Just play the newer ones or at least start from the SNES games onwards or you'll get burnt out. FF2 is not even good.

BeI

Dec 9, 2017
Wait, they launched it without Denuvo? That seems like a fuck up they'd actually really care about.

DRM like that is usually good to help prevent pirating for a while after launch, but losing out on that money probably doesn't matter at all because they've already been paid. Putting any extra care for a better PC port or DRM is just extra money burned. Why spend it when the game probably won't overcome their guaranteed income with or without any protections against piracy?

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017

If you're doing that you shouldn't play this instead of actual VII, they're different games. And it's not like they'll be done with all the chapters before the PS6 anyway.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

That's pretty cool. It's a good way to see how it evolves. Hope you enjoy!

Altezein

User requested ban - Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina
triggers too? Did the PS5 version of the game have adaptive triggers even?
Didn't notice any adaptive trigger implementation yet after many hours of playing, seems they didn't use it. In an interview, Square said Dualsense features were to be only partially supported, so I guess they meant just the haptic feedback.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I get everyone is happy about this coming to steam but if it's in the same state that this EGS version is would it really matter?

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
I get everyone is happy about this coming to steam but if it's in the same state that this EGS version is would it really matter?

I think some people just want all their games to be in the one library for ease of access.

If it's going to be bad either way, better to have the convenience factor there at least (and it might be cheaper too, so there's that)

If you're doing that you shouldn't play this instead of actual VII, they're different games. And it's not like they'll be done with all the chapters before the PS6 anyway.

I agree with this.

It annoys me when people say that others can play remake, and ignore ff7, since "they're the same game" now, and that the original ff7 is now irrelevant.

I'd argue otherwise and say that ff7 original, advent children, and all the other compilation material are now more relevant, and important than ever, if someone wants to really get into remake.

Oct 29, 2017
It all depends on how square handles this post release. If nothing gets fixed, modders will fix it and it will get rightfully review bombed on steam. It will probably still sell a decent amount though. As it is now, the EGS/pirated version runs near perfect with mods applied (ultrawide fix 2.0, dynamic resolution disabled, forced DX11, etc.). Who knows if we'll get any fixes from square by the time it hits steam.

Square really just sent this one out to die. They collected the EGS payout, dropped the game on the floor and ran. It legit wouldn't surprise me if square had one of the facility janitors handle the port on their days off.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
I think some people just want all their games to be in the one library for ease of access.

If it's going to be bad either way, better to have the convenience factor there at least (and it might be cheaper too, so there's that)

Yeah that's true it definitely is more convenient and the prices are typically lower plus more frequent sells.

It all depends on how square handles this post release. If nothing gets fixed, modders will fix it and it will get rightfully review bombed on steam. It will probably still sell a decent amount though. As it is now, the EGS/pirated version runs near perfect with mods applied (ultrawide fix 2.0, dynamic resolution disabled, forced DX11, etc.). Who knows if we'll get any fixes from square by the time it hits steam.

Square really just sent this one out to die. They collected the EGS payout, dropped the game on the floor and ran. It legit wouldn't surprise me if square had one of the facility janitors handle the port on their days off.
Ahaha I had to laugh at that last sentence. I do agree that modders definitely will eventually fix everything if it hasn't been done already and the review bombing would be welcomed when deserved. Maybe they'd learn to stop half assing their ports.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017

I don't see how modders can fix a known issue with UE4 on PC with the micro stutters?

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah that's true it definitely is more convenient and the prices are typically lower plus more frequent sells.

Ahaha I had to laugh at that last sentence. I do agree that modders definitely will eventually fix everything if it hasn't been done already and the review bombing would be welcomed when deserved. Maybe they'd learn to stop half assing their ports.
Modding this game is a hard. Not a lot is accessible. The most you should expect is model, music swaps, AI upscaling the pre rendered scenes and ini tweaks, along with the stuff that's already there and maybe texture upgrade (big maybe). Don't expect anything regarding the stuttering issue as that's down to shader compilation and the only way to "fix" it would have been to make sure to pre compile them, which is entirely on the developers to implement.

Rickyrozay2o9

Dec 11, 2017
Modding this game is a hard. Not a lot is accessible. The most you should expect is model, music swaps, AI upscaling the pre rendered scenes and ini tweaks, along with the stuff that's already there. Don't expect anything regarding the stuttering issue as that's down to shader compilation and the only way to "fix" it would have been to make sure to pre compile them, which is entirely on the developers to implement.
Damn well leaving it up to square and I literally have no faith for a fix. They've just proven it game after game to rarely if ever come back to patch anything.

Skyebaron

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Modding this game is a hard. Not a lot is accessible. The most you should expect is model, music swaps, AI upscaling the pre rendered scenes and ini tweaks, along with the stuff that's already there and maybe texture upgrade (big maybe). Don't expect anything regarding the stuttering issue as that's down to shader compilation and the only way to "fix" it would have been to make sure to pre compile them, which is entirely on the developers to implement.
Is there a way to share the shaders like on emulators like Yuzu or Ryujinx?

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany

Shaders are always precompiled in UE4 you can't cook a project without it and it takes a good while to do so but they still need to be optimized for every GPU and Driver Version out there and that's something game devs can't do in advance unfortunately.

Last edited:

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Shaders are always precompiled in UE4 you can't cook a project without it and it takes a good while to do so but they still need to optimized for every GPU and Driver Version out there and that's something game devs can't do in advance unfortunately.

So every UE4 game is doomed to terrible performance? They can't fix FF7R?

Oct 25, 2017
Played about an hour and digging the game a a lot!

Is there any way to enable Japanese text? I tried setting the EGS language to Japanese but that still didn't do it.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021

Is there any way to enable Japanese text? I tried setting the EGS language to Japanese but that still didn't do it.

Check if its supported in the store listing then maybe try -language=ja as a command line argument or maybe -culture=ja idk I think some games in the past used that.

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018

There is a mod that was just released today shows both Japanese and English text at the same time. It should be on nexus.

Haven't tried it personally, so not sure if it actually works well. Just saw it in passing.

Let me know if it works properly, since I'm quite curious myself.

Einherjer

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
nobody is switching engines post release

I mean that's a given i was just talking about shader related stuttering in UE in general, there is no real fix atm but better hardware might fix it in time.
That said in theory it should actually be better in DX12 but in practice it's worse compared to DX11 for some reason. I wonder how Vulkan performs but i don't know any game that supports it, despite the engine supporting it.

Last edited:

zeomax

Oct 28, 2017
I mean that's a given i was just talking about shader related stuttering in UE in general, there is no real fix atm but better hardware might fix it in time.
That said in theory it should actually be better in DX12 but in practice it's worse compared to DX11 for some reason.
The Unreal Engine 4 DX12 stutter is caused by the W10 security feature called "Control Flow Guard". You need to deactivate this for the game. It won't get rid of all the stutter but will reduce it a lot.

Stone Ocean

Oct 25, 2017
Modders won't always come to the rescue of publishers and honestly nor should they.

Nov 2, 2017
Shaders are always precompiled in UE4 you can't cook a project without it and it takes a good while to do so but they still need to be optimized for every GPU and Driver Version out there and that's something game devs can't do in advance unfortunately.
I've seen UE4 DX12 games that don't have it or where the devs mostly fixed it post release so devs certainly have some control over it and it can be fixed.