• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
Subs are usually CC if the language is dubbed too (Spanish isn't).
Would have definitely preferred cc in this situation. English subs are basically saying the opposite thing that the Japanese audio is saying sometimes .

Or Wish I was fluent enough to not need subtitles lol.

it's not ruining my experience or anything because I understand enough, but my friend is watching me play and I'd like them to know what they're meant to be saying

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
no lol direct translation doesn't work

But The English and Japanese scripts are extremely different in this game .

Spanish subs actually say similar things as the Japanese one . English is the only one that's a lot different. English will throw in a completely different sentence and maybe add a random cuss word.

Sometimes the subtitles have a whole different tone than the spoken Japanese .

Aerith says "Doesn't it feel good to help people?" Cloud responds straight up "yes " in Japanese and the English subtitles say "ehh…"

Later they translate "that's true " to "nah wasn't planning to".

Yakuza games take a lot of liberties with their localization too but it's never effecting the tone of anything or making a character rude in one language
I remember Stefanie Joosten's stream of Final Fantasy 15 and she was taken back how different the English subtitles were from the Japanese acting. I suppose this was my first exposure to seeing people reacting to these differentiations.

Oct 27, 2017
Is there a particular point in the daytime slums that sets off the stutter-fest or is it just "if you get there and don't feel anything, congrats, you're avoiding the worst of the issues"?

(Figured a 2700X and Vega 56 would've been in for far worse, all things considered)

Yes to your bolded question. I mentioned some of my issues in an earlier post:

I won't have a PS5 for a while (spent too much on a GPU) but have been wanting to play through both FF7R and the DLC for quite a while. So I was hoping that a 3070 Ti 8GB/3900X/980 Pro NVME would be a safe bet to run the game at high settings without much hassle. But not so much.

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction, or maybe this serves as another note of caution for folks who are desperate (like I was) to jump in.

So to try to be specific:
  • I'm running around the slums at daybreak (Chapter 3) and looking at Precision X1 monitoring (EVGA's Afterburner equivalent), the GPU usage is at 100% most of the time. Precisely when GPU usage does hit 100%, the framerate tanks well below 60 (and as low as 35).
  • Total Power/Normalized Total Power is consistently only at around 60%, however.
  • Just now forced DX11 for the first time, using the same settings, and the GPU usage never even comes close to 100% (stays around 50%), framerate is now fluctuating between 53 and 60 with major stutters, and Total Power/Normalized Total Power is still around 60%.
  • Probably running too close to the VRAM limit, since I'm running at 4K (Dynamic Scaling on/120fps, Vsync & triple buffering via Nvidia control panel, 60 hz monitor so capped at 60).
  • Notably, when this 100% usage issue occurred in previous chapters, reloading would often fix the issue for several minutes: suddenly the GPU usage would go from 100% to ~50% (same scene, with the same settings). But after a few minutes, in a later section of the game, the problem would occur again.
  • I was curious to see if the reloading trick would keep working, but no not anymore, now that it's the slum area and tons of NPCs around. Will have to play around with lowered settings to see what's tolerable.
  • Incidentally, just ran the Shadow of the Tomb Raider bechmark in DX12 mode (at 4K, RT Shadows at Ultra, DLSS at Quality, everything else maxed out), and the results said I'm GPU bound 99% of the time, so yeah, I feel like it's probably not the 3900X CPU.
  • And as would be expected when the GPU is fully utilized, during the benchmark the Total Power/Normalized Total Power was consistently over 90% (unlike in FF7R).
But yeah, powered through at 4K just out of curiosity. Will now try to find some settings that are tolerable.

I had to lower my display's refresh rate to 30 (to avoid severe hitching/hanging) in those specific daytime slum areas that have hundreds of character models around. Specifically, for example: the path that runs from Stargazer Heights to 7th Heaven and onwards. At 30, the severe hitching/hanging was gone.

In contrast, in the adjacent, comparatively-empty sidequest areas (the ones with battles and enemy models) I could bring my refresh rate back up to 60: while the frame rate would still sometimes (strangely) still dip below 60 in these battle-laden sidequest areas, there would be none of the severe hitching/hanging that I experienced in the Stargazer/7th Heaven corridor.

Likewise, the opening hour of Chapter 4 has been tolerable for me at 60: some dips below 60 that probably shouldn't be happening on my 3900X/3070 Ti, but none of the severe hitching/hanging that I had in the Stargazer/7th Heaven corridor

What's interesting for me is that after reading john2gr's post here, I figured people who are having zero problems must be using newer Intel/AMD CPU's that have better single-core performance than my 3900X, but it sounds like Exposure is having no problems even on the AMD 2700X.

And just to follow up on something from my previous post, where I mentioned that "...[in DX12] GPU usage is at 100% most of the time [in the Stargazer/7th Heaven corridor]. Precisely when GPU usage does hit 100%, the framerate tanks well below 60 (and as low as 35)... Just now forced DX11 for the first time, using the same settings, and the GPU usage never even comes close to 100% (stays around 50%), framerate is now fluctuating between 53 and 60 with major stutters..."

This is what Stargazer--->7th Heaven performance looks like for me in DX12, and this is what it looks like in DX11.

Note: one of the things I experimented with after my original post is enabling 'game mode' on my 3900X: "...Enabling 'Game Mode' and rebooting a system will basically disable half of the CPU cores... After a quick system restart our AMD Ryzen 9 3900X was running as a 6-core, 12-thread processor with a 3+3 CCX configuration..." That's why Task Manager in my pictures reports 6 cores/12 logical processors.

Munti

Oct 26, 2017
I'm very excited for mods of the Honey Bee Inn dancing section :).
Want to see the dancing part with a different camera angle, and with different characters

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
If you're like me and think the name of the game is stupid, I made some custom logos for you if you boot the game through Steam.

https://www.steamgriddb.com/logo/47494

And a throwback one too.

www.steamgriddb.com

Logo · Final Fantasy VII Remake Intergrade

865x476 • Official • December 20, 2021

Or if you like the convoluted name and want a throwback logo, I got you too.

www.steamgriddb.com

867x476 • Official • December 20, 2021

These will work for Playnite and Launchbox too, obviously. Don't know if GoG Galaxy uses custom logos. I'll probably use these to toss together some cover arts once I get bored, too.

edit: Didn't like how the first one looked, so I remade it and touched it up a bit more. Flag the other one for me so it gets deleted, lol.

Last edited:

jads87

Feb 18, 2019
Isn't the shader tied to the video card? Couldn't someone technically precompile shaders and share them like they used to do for cemu.

If only there was a platform that did that automatically for you on a game to game basis. [ISPOILER>]Wait 6 months to a year and it will be.[/ISPOILER]

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
If you're like me and think the name of the game is stupid, I made some custom logos for you if you boot the game through Steam.

https://www.steamgriddb.com/logo/47494

And a throwback one too.

www.steamgriddb.com

865x476 • Official • December 20, 2021

Or if you like the convoluted name and want a throwback logo, I got you too.

www.steamgriddb.com

867x476 • Official • December 20, 2021

These will work for Playnite and Launchbox too, obviously. Don't know if GoG Galaxy uses custom logos. I'll probably use these to toss together some cover arts once I get bored, too.

edit: Didn't like how the first one looked, so I remade it and touched it up a bit more. Flag the other one for me so it gets deleted, lol.
I really like the second one, good job. I have no problems with the name of the game or the logo but can't deny how clean that looks

chocolate

Feb 28, 2018
no lol direct translation doesn't work

But The English and Japanese scripts are extremely different in this game .

Spanish subs actually say similar things as the Japanese one . English is the only one that's a lot different. English will throw in a completely different sentence and maybe add a random cuss word.

Sometimes the subtitles have a whole different tone than the spoken Japanese .

Aerith says "Doesn't it feel good to help people?" Cloud responds straight up "yes " in Japanese and the English subtitles say "ehh…"

Later they translate "that's true " to "nah wasn't planning to".

Yakuza games take a lot of liberties with their localization too but it's never effecting the tone of anything or making a character rude in one language

Can confirm.

I'm using the dual eng and jap sub mod for my game, and it's so strange seeing how stark, and sometimes contradictory, the translation can be from the original japanese.

It's quite something, I'll tell you that much.

Here is it in case anyone was interested and can understand/want to learn Japanese.

It has been updated to include dual eng with other languages, like italian and spanish, and more.

www.nexusmods.com

Dualsub ENG and JPN

Displays ENG subs and JPN subs at the same time.

Thank god, I didn't know what that atrocity they had in originally was.

I'm also using this mod. Thank fuck for its existence lol.

Last edited:

Xshade90

Nov 2, 2017
Someone has found the solution for fixing performance issues without installing mods. Thought it would be useful to share:
Here is how I fixed bad frame pacing/micro-stuttering:
1. Set fps in game to match your monitor's refresh rate
2. In Epic Game Launcher go to settings and check additional command line arguments for FF7 Remake then add: -FULLSCREEN -refresh 59 (set your monitor's refresh rate, my monitor's refresh rate is 59hz so I put 59).
3. Go to Nvidia control panel/manage 3D settings/program settings then add ff7remake_.exe (located in game folder/End/binaries/Win64) then turn on vertical sync and image sharpening
4. Install Rivatunner Statistics server then add ff7remake_.exe and set fps limit just 1 bellow your refresh rate (my monitor's refresh rate is 59.951hz so I set frame rate limit @59.950).
After I did all of this, the game no longer micro-stutters while I'm moving around and there is no more bad frame pacing.

Nezacant

Oct 27, 2017
Placebo, the stuttering is due to shader compilation issues, it isn't something you can just fix by changing window mode and vsync.
I think there may be 2 issues here, both being referred to as "Stutter". One is major and very noticeable stuttering which I was able to correct on my own machine by doing similar changes to what's described above. The second is minor micro stuttering we see while running through towns likely being caused by the shader compilation issues you describe.

I feel the game is very playable with the latter of these issues and I don't feel it's fair to write off the instructions above that help those with the serious framepacing issue.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
What can I use to record little gameplay?

I know there's a few out there but the recording fps hit is usually there.

Is shadow play the best of them without loosing to much pure fps with the recording?

Also.. Can you install shadow play independently from gfe? I hate that software!

I'd like to show here how the game runs smoothly with the changes I made.

Thnx

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
What can I use to record little gameplay?

I know there's a few out there but the recording fps hit is usually there.

Is shadow play the best of them without loosing to much pure fps with the recording?

Also.. Can you install shadow play independently from gfe? I hate that software!

I'd like to show here how the game runs smoothly with the changes I made.

Thnx
The Xbox Game Bar has recording functionality built-in. By default, you can press Win + Alt + R to start/stop recording. It'll save your video to C:\Users\namegoeshere\Videos\Captures.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
Placebo, the stuttering is due to shader compilation issues, it isn't something you can just fix by changing window mode and vsync.

That's false. In most cases you can move the shader compilation time into a part of the frame time that doesn't stalls the final output using framelimiter or buffering options.

naw

Oct 25, 2017
I have seen a bunch of ppl say that using Nvidia's Studio Driver instead of the Game Ready Driver fixes a lot of the stuttering issues. Who here can try that out?

Yappa

Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg/Germany
Would have definitely preferred cc in this situation. English subs are basically saying the opposite thing that the Japanese audio is saying sometimes .

Or Wish I was fluent enough to not need subtitles lol.

it's not ruining my experience or anything because I understand enough, but my friend is watching me play and I'd like them to know what they're meant to be saying
Which is why I usually go for german subtitles if I play a game with japanese voices. The english localization changes too much while the others are closer to what is actually said.

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
The info is also helpful for people that crack their purchased game so they can play it offline (if its true that the EGS version has to be connected to work)

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
Anyone of you ever had this issue?

I'm trying to record a video. Whatever I use weather it's shadows play or obs with all the right settings, the video ends up laggy or stuttery.

Thing is.. Fps is no issue while recording nor any tearing or stutters happens.

Why is the video like that since gameplay is fine while recording?

Infuriating as I want to show the game with no stutters but the video has some loll

Please note I also used different players for it.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
What's the line between endorsing piracy and providing support only useful to pirated versions of software?

I think the post in question was copied from pcgw? It looks like the article is different now but I'd looked at it a couple days ago and I think there was similar wording about non-epic versions.

Also it's just like...providing support for cracked copies isn't the same thing as saying people should pirate the game or enabling people to do so. Lots of legitimate reasons to want to crack your game.

Its supporting piracy in the same way that discussion of hard to find retro games on this forum might be considered vague endorsing and support of piracy because most people will probably pirate the games in question. Or discussion of emulation on this forum in general -- people will likely pirate their ISOs or whatever for use in dolphin, but people will still give advice on how to get dolphin running correctly. And idk but it feels like we shouldn't assume that everyone emulating a game is pirating it.

Vash63

Oct 28, 2017
I think the post in question was copied from pcgw? It looks like the article is different now but I'd looked at it a couple days ago and I think there was similar wording about non-epic versions.

Also it's just like...providing support for cracked copies isn't the same thing as saying people should pirate the game or enabling people to do so. Lots of legitimate reasons to want to crack your game.

Its supporting piracy in the same way that discussion of hard to find retro games on this forum might be considered vague endorsing and support of piracy because most people will probably pirate the games in question. Or discussion of emulation on this forum in general -- people will likely pirate their ISOs or whatever for use in dolphin, but people will still give advice on how to get dolphin running correctly. And idk but it feels like we shouldn't assume that everyone emulating a game is pirating it.

There's no crack for the game as it doesn't use Denovo or anything, the only difference between pirated copies and EGS copies is the launcher/shortcut. I really can't imagine people are buying it on EGS and then using a copy from another source here.

Except it isn't only useful to pirated versions of the game?

How are instructions for a non-EGS version of a game useful for any non-pirated version of a game that is only available on EGS?

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
There's no crack for the game as it doesn't use Denovo or anything, the only difference between pirated copies and EGS copies is the launcher/shortcut. I really can't imagine people are buying it on EGS and then using a copy from another source here.

How are instructions for a non-EGS version of a game useful for any non-pirated version of a game that is only available on EGS?
for starters, you're incorrect. a game not using denuvo isn't equal to it not needing to be cracked. not using denuvo doesn't equal DRM free.
second, Lashley already told you a reason. people may want to not need to stay online. not sure if this is the case with 7r or not.
finally, stop fishing for piracy bans. if you're so worried users here are advocating for piracy, report them and let mods decide.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Those instructions work for EGS version too irc. Hell, it is more complex than it should be because you can just add them to the shortcut (which is what Steam and EGS do). Not sure why they went to modify the .ini file.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
Huh? What are you talking about? jads87
Steam pre compiles shaders for OpenGL and Vulkan:
OKfyBJE.jpeg

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I think there may be 2 issues here, both being referred to as "Stutter". One is major and very noticeable stuttering which I was able to correct on my own machine by doing similar changes to what's described above. The second is minor micro stuttering we see while running through towns likely being caused by the shader compilation issues you describe.

I feel the game is very playable with the latter of these issues and I don't feel it's fair to write off the instructions above that help those with the serious framepacing issue.

The micro stuttering you described ruins the experience enough I refunded the game.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Pirates have even made the game smaller by enabling the option to not install the credits CGI in other languages. Always wondered why that wasn't an option on the PS4/PS5 versions considering how big they are.

I get including them on disk just for easier worldwide distribution, but there could have been an option to make the game smaller.

Last edited: