• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

naw

Oct 25, 2017
I mean I can make a video at 4K as well.

It just seems arbitrary to put specific conditions, considering the stuttering happens in every resolution.
What was your method for capping your frames? The instructions stated to halve the fps from your monitor's refresh rate. What did you do?

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
It's because you were not playing the game in 4k. I just tried that 2880x1620 resolution that you were using and the game for the most part was fine. The fps never really dipped and the framepacing was pretty good (though not perfect). As soon as I bumped it back up to 4k the skips reappeared.

5900x / 3080 / 32gb ram / win 10 21H2

I am also playing at 4k and it's truly smooth and to be honest I don't even think the async mod changes anything for me because prior to it coming out, I had just set the game in dx11 mode and that was it for me! Stuttering was gone!

Using custom settings in nvidia control panel and set Riva tuner at 117 max fps. Have a gsync lg C1 tv.

Using a 5950x/3090/64gb and windows 10 latest drivers.

Just finishing chapter 3 soon and so far it's amazing for me!

I'm also using Reshade to get a little more sharpness and modified fake HDR since dx11 borks the Ingame one.

I just can't record to show because the video quality sucks ass and does not represent the real thing.

Take the last poster videos.. That's how mine looks.. But imagine with no tearing or stuterings and in 4k. That's how it really looks and plays and that's between 85 and 120 fps.

naw

Oct 25, 2017
Using custom settings in nvidia control panel and set Riva tuner at 117 max fps. Have a gsync lg C1 tv.
This is what I was doing prior to this mod. I also have a G-Sync monitor so I had my frames capped at 117 but I turned all the Nvidia stuff off before I imported the DXVK files. The instructions stated to halve the fps cap from your monitor refresh rate so I put my cap at 80 since my monitor is 160hz. I think that 3090 you have is what's making the big difference. I put the game in 1440p just now and it was very smooth. Anything under that is obviously gonna be smooth as well, but when I put it back to 4k the hitches start happening again.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
This is what I was doing prior to this mod. I also have a G-Sync monitor so I had my frames capped at 117 but I turned all the Nvidia stuff off before I imported the DXVK files. The instructions stated to halve the fps cap from your monitor refresh rate so I put my cap at 80 since my monitor is 160hz. I think that 3090 you have is what's making the big difference. I put the game in 1440p just now and it was very smooth. Anything under that is obviously gonna be smooth as well, but when I put it back to 4k the hitches start happening again.

Right now I'm not using the files.

All I use is dx11 mode and the disable dynamic resolution mod.

I cap 117 in Riva tuner. I set 120 in game. I use Reshade.

And these are my Nvidia Cp settings :

AF to 16x
Temporal AA set to override and than 8x
Set power to max GPU performance
G-SYNC ON
MFAA enabled
AF texture quality set to Highest
Threaded optimization to ON
Vertical sync ON

I'm getting the fps like I mentioned and yeah the 3090 probably helps a lot.

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
At the end of the day it's a bad port, mods and tweaks are only going to go so far. I don't think anyone should purchase it thinking modders can fix it.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
There's no reason to deal with this, it's a $70 game, refund it and wait for patches.
You don't even have to do that "I'm buying it on day 1 to support it" thing, they already got paid and decided to release it like this.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
well, DXVK helped with 90% of the stutters, but ill still wait for some patches.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Shit like this is exhausting and reminds me why I always fall back to console gaming. I just wanna play the damn game

I have a 3080 and so far it's been used on terrible pc conversions lol

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
There's no reason to deal with this, it's a $70 game, refund it and wait for patches.
You don't even have to do that "I'm buying it on day 1 to support it" thing, they already got paid and decided to release it like this.
This is such a shitty practice. And to think that the game is based on the engine of the platform holder itself. Disgusting.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
Here's a recording made with Shadow Play at 4k 60 fps because its the maximum I can go with it.

I play in 4k 120 so bare in mind that the below looks and plays better than what you actually see in this video but it's to give you an idea how the stutters are barely noticeable now.

I hope the YouTube compression isn't too bad. Also the audio volume seems low and I don't know why.

www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy 7 Remake PC 5950X / RTX 3090 4k60

This was recorded in 4k60 max output by Nvidia Shadowplay.The game runs even better than shown here set at 120 fps. Fps varies between 75-120 in 4k120hrzUsin...

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
Is it weird that I don't have or at least notice the stutters during gameplay but they're much more noticeable during cutscenes?

Because that intro cutscene was JARRING.

cHinzo

Oct 27, 2017
The game is just the Midgar portion of the original game. So it doesn't end at the same part but it has an ending and will obv has a sequel or two.
I don't think this game ends with the next release. Maybe one after. So depends how long you want to wait…5-6 years for complete?
They crafted more of an stopping/ending point but it's not like an ending ending but it's not like you're playing OG FF7 and then the game just stops haha
Depends on your definition of "ending" I guess. It doesn't end where the original did, but it does end at a good spot for the story they wanted to tell with this game, while also leaving enough things open for what's to come.

I doubt there will be a complete edition in the sense that all parts will be included for $60 or $70-- I'm sure there'll eventually be a bundle, but it'll either be for more than your usual MSRP or it'll come a while after the final game, which is to say, probably like ten years from now lol. Each one is its own full-length... well, game. It's taking the original story and expanding / changing it in a lot of different ways. This isn't really an episodic release-- it's less that it's part one of a larger game, and more that it's part one of a series. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it well or not, but I'm trying my best not to spoil anything.
It's a complete 40-50 hour experience, plus another 5 hours in the DLC. The game has an ending.

Is it the complete FF7 story? Nope. You can think of this like a Mass Effect 1, 2, 3 situation, where the whole story spans 3 full games. Next parts are not coming soon. Expect 3, 4 years between each one.

Thanks for all the info, all! Now I'm starting to wonder how they fit everything into one game (albeit across multiple CDs) in the original version. I started my journey with Final Fantasy 8, so I missed out on this one. Prolly wouldn't feel bad to pick it up in the future then if the final game will take years of development.

Insan1ty

Sep 23, 2021
I find it really funny that some of you were able to write a whole page of comments accusing me of supporting piracy when immediately afterwards I see spammed a link to Nexus mod that writes exactly step by step the same info about the non EPIC version. In my book that's called hypocrisy.

If I wrote something wrong in my previous post it's not a problem for me to delete it since that was not my intention. It was written just to give a suggestion to those who have the problem of stuttering on this game (so everyone) by describing the paths where you can insert the additional commands as also pcgamewiki suggested. I repeat, a simple click is enough for me to remove the post considering that I have already solved the problem on my own. But stop pointing the finger at me and then continuing to do the same thing over and over again while pretending nothing happened. It's really ridiculous.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
I find it really funny that some of you were able to write a whole page of comments accusing me of supporting piracy when immediately afterwards I see spammed a link to Nexus mod that writes exactly step by step the same info about the non EPIC version. In my book that's called hypocrisy.

If I wrote something wrong in my previous post it's not a problem for me to delete it since that was not my intention. It was written just to give a suggestion to those who have the problem of stuttering on this game (so everyone) by describing the paths where you can insert the additional commands as also pcgamewiki suggested. I repeat, a simple click is enough for me to remove the post considering that I have already solved the problem on my own. But stop pointing the finger at me and then continuing to do the same thing over and over again while pretending nothing happened. It's really ridiculous.

I don't see any issues with anything you posted personally and I agree as my intentions are also to try to help people enjoy that mess.

Thnx for the contribution! 👍

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
What was your method for capping your frames? The instructions stated to halve the fps from your monitor's refresh rate. What did you do?
I didn't do anything on that. That instruction is specifically for people who are on fixed rate displays.
I tested 4K a bit more after my previous comment while targeting both 60FPS and 120FPS. What I can see is that every time there was stuttering at 4K it was actually due to a framedrop wherein my GPU usage would spike to 99%. While targeting 120FPS, naturally the GPU usage normally would be around 70-90% and it doesn't take much for it to go up to 99% leading to a drop. When targeting 60FPS, it hovers around 50-60%, but the spikes to 99% still happen.

From this what I can say is happening is that when playing at 60FPS cap, the DRS is not kicking in often and it's doing native resolution most of the time, but then there are moments when it stresses the GPU due to whatever reasons (Maybe it has to load a lot of new stuff in view, maybe whatever the DXVK is doing for async compute causes some sort of bottleneck issue there) resulting in the framerate dropping severely before the it evens out, it also seems to happen in the same exact points so it's repeatable. The same happens when targeting 120FPS, except it spends a more time running at non 4K resolution already when targeting that framerate and because it's close to maxing out the GPU most of the time and it seems to be ready to kick DRS in more regularly. Ofcourse this is all a theory and I don't really know the actual reasoning, but I will say that outside of towns this is a non issue. 4K should be fine outside town with this DXVK fix. Lower than 4K, is great even in towns.

Last edited:

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Thanks for all the info, all! Now I'm starting to wonder how they fit everything into one game (albeit across multiple CDs) in the original version. I started my journey with Final Fantasy 8, so I missed out on this one. Prolly wouldn't feel bad to pick it up in the future then if the final game will take years of development.
You should definitely play the original FF7 at some point before FF7R. You'll get more out of FF7R that way. It kind of assumes you've played the original in some very important ways.

Last edited:

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
Since the epic coupons were around I figured I'd go ahead and buy it to see how bad it actually is and figured I could always refund.

Holy fuck.

The first two chapters were largely okay, but the slums is a bloody nightmare. Playing on a laptop 3070 and this is a ps4 game so was expecting to be able to do 80+ fps. With dynamic resolution it mostly hit that, and in chapter 1 and 2 it seemed largely fine, though even there there were what felt like loading stutters every few areas.

But I think in one one minute lap of the slums there were maybe 6 spots in which the fps felt like it was repeatedly dropping to zero -- in fact I'm pretty sure at times it was because my VRR display was flickering black -- something I generally only experience on loading screens where the framerate is sort of assumed to drop or stop. In general VRR with this game gave me all kinds of issues with really bad framepacing (which I checked with special k)...it felt like I was seeing screen tearing despite using VRR which is something I don't think I've really seen before. Tearing might be the wrong word, just extreme image instability, and edges of objects in motion looked like they had scanlines through them. Not sure how to describe.

So turning off VRR and using a fixed refresh rate of 120Hz at 1080p, booted the game up again, still got extreme stuttering when transitioning between areas, but weird other framepacing issues when standing in one spot and panning the camera were gone at least. It's a shame because if it werent for massive drops (which at least weren't making my screen flicker on and offer really rapidly) the 120Hz was mostly stable.

So after that I tried 60Hz, and the dxvk async listed above with an in game 60fps cap. After turning shadows from high to low, the game is...well...smooth. The added motion blur certainly helps, and some of the stutters are still there, but on the level of maybe one brief hitch instead of the nonstop start and stop. Something kind of in line with what feels like asset loading stutter that some other UE4 games have. All it took was a vulkan wrapper, turning off vrr, turning down some graphical settings, tolerated added input lag, and a low refresh rate.

And I hear wall market might be even worse. Absolute embarrassment of a port.

That said, if you do all of the above, its a...fine experience compared to PS4 even if it falls far short of what should be the norm. Probably going to refund out of principle but want to try some other things to see if higher resolutions play better or worse etc.

This is easily the worst AAA PC port I've played in recent memory and plenty UE4 games that look plenty nice have far fewer issues so there's really no excuse, even with the loading stutters. Like I've been playing Tales of Arise and Scarlet Nexus a bit over the last few days and both of those games perform far better. Some minor stutters here and there (and one alleyway in SN that tanks my fps from 100 to 50) but jeez.

It's such a shame because it felt like for a brief moment PC gaming was something you could finally mostly say accurately 'just works out of the box'.

And then on that day humanity received a grim reminder.

Sh*t Square Enix!

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
I can say that the DXVK fix took the stuttering issues from "complete, absolute dogshit," to "tolerable & faint, but still noticeable presence of human shit."

The stutters in the slums are still there, but less frequent outside of certain paths on the way to Seventh Heaven.

I can't believe they released a port of the long-awaited remake of their most prestigious game, of their most prestigious franchise, in this state. Someone very high up on the food chain needs to be fired for this.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
So I tried the DXVK method. The first time I ran around the slums I got some stutter, and even after a couple laps it happened every once in a while. Is it fair the say if you aren't sprinting in the slums it likely will load things without the stutter using this fix since you aren't moving so fast?

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Since the epic coupons were around I figured I'd go ahead and buy it to see how bad it actually is and figured I could always refund.

Holy fuck.

The first two chapters were largely okay, but the slums is a bloody nightmare. Playing on a laptop 3070 and this is a ps4 game so was expecting to be able to do 80+ fps. With dynamic resolution it mostly hit that, and in chapter 1 and 2 it seemed largely fine, though even there there were what felt like loading stutters every few areas.

But I think in one one minute lap of the slums there were maybe 6 spots in which the fps felt like it was repeatedly dropping to zero -- in fact I'm pretty sure at times it was because my VRR display was flickering black -- something I generally only experience on loading screens where the framerate is sort of assumed to drop or stop. In general VRR with this game gave me all kinds of issues with really bad framepacing (which I checked with special k)...it felt like I was seeing screen tearing despite using VRR which is something I don't think I've really seen before. Tearing might be the wrong word, just extreme image instability, and edges of objects in motion looked like they had scanlines through them. Not sure how to describe.

So turning off VRR and using a fixed refresh rate of 120Hz at 1080p, booted the game up again, still got extreme stuttering when transitioning between areas, but weird other framepacing issues when standing in one spot and panning the camera were gone at least. It's a shame because if it werent for massive drops (which at least weren't making my screen flicker on and offer really rapidly) the 120Hz was mostly stable.

So after that I tried 60Hz, and the dxvk async listed above with an in game 60fps cap. After turning shadows from high to low, the game is...well...smooth. The added motion blur certainly helps, and some of the stutters are still there, but on the level of maybe one brief hitch instead of the nonstop start and stop. Something kind of in line with what feels like asset loading stutter that some other UE4 games have. All it took was a vulkan wrapper, turning off vrr, turning down some graphical settings, tolerated added input lag, and a low refresh rate.

And I hear wall market might be even worse. Absolute embarrassment of a port.

That said, if you do all of the above, its a...fine experience compared to PS4 even if it falls far short of what should be the norm. Probably going to refund out of principle but want to try some other things to see if higher resolutions play better or worse etc.

This is easily the worst AAA PC port I've played in recent memory and plenty UE4 games that look plenty nice have far fewer issues so there's really no excuse, even with the loading stutters. Like I've been playing Tales of Arise and Scarlet Nexus a bit over the last few days and both of those games perform far better. Some minor stutters here and there (and one alleyway in SN that tanks my fps from 100 to 50) but jeez.

It's such a shame because it felt like for a brief moment PC gaming was something you could finally mostly say accurately 'just works out of the box'.

And then on that day humanity received a grim reminder.

Sh*t Square Enix!

PC gaming is never something that just works out of the box.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
Bro, the fucking stuttering in the weapon upgrades screen...

With the fix, it doesn't stutter after the first time. But that first time is simply fucking BRUTAL.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
So I tried the DXVK method. The first time I ran around the slums I got some stutter, and even after a couple laps it happened every once in a while. Is it fair the say if you aren't sprinting in the slums it likely will load things without the stutter using this fix since you aren't moving so fast?

Just tested it and no I still got the occasional small stutter just walking around. I don't think aiming for perfect performance with this game is gonna be possible on the bulk of configs. It's very much a mitigation of the stutter issue for me than a complete removal (but to be clear, a lot of UE4 games have these sorts of small loading stutters on PC and/or console -- SMT V is a recent example of this). Very much the difference between "this makes me want to throw up" and "oh I could reasonably play this even if its not ideal"

PC gaming is never something that just works out of the box.

And yeah but it was getting really really close. Even now it feels like with 90% of games I can just install them and get a pretty decent experience right out the box. Obviously can tweak stuff to get a better one, but this is the first port in recent memory for me where out of the box it felt basically unplayable.

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
You are driving yourself crazy, friend. I pray you find your answers.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
You are driving yourself crazy, friend. I pray you find your answers.

RoboitoAM Thank you my friend. It's a curse being so sensitive to stuttering. I waited FOREVER for the microstutters to be fixed in Bioshock Infinite.

I also found that if I lowered my resolution to 1440p it helped a lot. I really don't want to have to do that with my rig. Specs below. One interesting note I have a 144 HZ monitor and halved my FPS in the nvidia lmiter to 72 FPS and outside of the micro stutters the frame time is a straight line. I have always wondered why I saw noise on that line in other games. Is that a common way to fix that does anyone know to have the FPS?

Intel 11600k
32 GB RAM
Nvidia RTX 3080
NVME SSD
Win11

Oct 29, 2017
And yeah but it was getting really really close. Even now it feels like with 90% of games I can just install them and get a pretty decent experience right out the box. Obviously can tweak stuff to get a better one, but this is the first port in recent memory for me where out of the box it felt basically unplayable.
Honestly, probably 95+% of the games I play on PC I just start the game, put settings on high (or one step below the top) and everything runs great. It does benefit to wait a bit for fixes though. To be a day one gamer these days means to be a pay to play beta tester.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
RoboitoAM Thank you my friend. It's a curse being so sensitive to stuttering. I waited FOREVER for the microstutters to be fixed in Bioshock Infinite.

I also found that if I lowered my resolution to 1440p it helped a lot. I really don't want to have to do that with my rig. Specs below. One interesting note I have a 144 HZ monitor and halved my FPS in the nvidia lmiter to 72 FPS and outside of the micro stutters the frame time is a straight line. I have always wondered why I saw noise on that line in other games. Is that a common way to fix that does anyone know to have the FPS?

Intel 11600k
32 GB RAM
Nvidia RTX 3080
NVME SSD
Win11

Use a good frame limiter should help, e.g. the special k one. It will also have good overlays to let you see frame time variance.

But to some extent you might always get a little bit of frame time variance. Frame limiters can only do so much I think depending on the game and config and nothing's perfect. For me some games will have a little, some will have a bit more even with a limiter.

The weirdest thing I've recently discovered is that for me, in some games if I cap to ~70 fps my frame time variance spikes quite a bit and I get more frequent micro stuttering lol. Anything less than 68 is fine, anything higher than 72 is also fine and it's super weird. Not all games, not all engines or anything either.

Best advice I can give is that bar extremely egregious stuff, the less you stare at diags and graphs and whatnot the happier you might be. I realized recently I was spending more time watching framecounters and whatnot than playing games.

I hope you can find a way to enjoy the game.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Use a good frame limiter should help, e.g. the special k one. It will also have good overlays to let you see frame time variance.

But to some extent you might always get a little bit of frame time variance. Frame limiters can only do so much I think depending on the game and config and nothing's perfect. For me some games will have a little, some will have a bit more even with a limiter.

The weirdest thing I've recently discovered is that for me, in some games if I cap to ~70 fps my frame time variance spikes quite a bit and I get more frequent micro stuttering lol. Anything less than 68 is fine, anything higher than 72 is also fine and it's super weird. Not all games, not all engines or anything either.

Best advice I can give is that bar extremely egregious stuff, the less you stare at diags and graphs and whatnot the happier you might be. I realized recently I was spending more time watching framecounters and whatnot than playing games.

I hope you can find a way to enjoy the game.

Thanks for the response. FF7 is maddening to me but hopefully either the community finds a fix or Square actually patches it (I am not hopeful of this). Other than that unless a game feels off I make it a point not to have the bar there unless I need to. I think based on this thread that might be for the best lol.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
Ok... so, it looks like the majority of the stuttering is fixed at lower resolutions. I was playing at 4K60 on my 5950/3080 rig, and the stuttering was insane, even with the mod fixes. Putting the game at 1440P or 1080P fixes everything tremendously with the mods. The trade-off seems to be the quality of certain textures at lower rezes. The hair, in particular, looks like ass. Zoom in to see the differences.

4K:
9NE4VDI.jpg

1440P:
imFT3VP.jpg

1080P:
LQ6Ttna.jpg

This is a port of a PS5 game, and the game is unoptimized to play at 4K60.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
The steam religion is strong.
Or maybe Epic has been a lackluster client that has taken over three years to make it less tedious to buy more than one game at a time. Or maybe people aren't fond of exclusivity contracts for PC gaming. Or maybe people like all of the built in features Steam has, from Big Picture Mode to Steam Input, of which games launching from EGS can't really take advantage of without an external program even though no such issue exists for any other launcher or PC game I've used?

Yeah, people can be overly zealous about Steam, but it's not like there aren't countless valid criticisms about EGS.

haziq

Oct 29, 2017
Why is this game even on DX12 anyways? What advantage does DX12 have that VIIR is taking advantage of?

Dictator

Digital Foundry
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Berlin, 'SCHLAND
It does for over 90% of games.

I have no idea why all of you are going crazy over this specific port. The game ain't THAT good.
Indeed - most games just simply work out of the box. A really bad port from Square Enix apparently does not though.

While work arounds from the community are nice - they should not be the defacto way to judge a game's quality for its asking price on launch. This game's default mode is atrocious and it NEEDS to be called out for it.

Deleted member 10675

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Madrid
DXVK does not fix the stutter problem. I just tested it using the same save file I used for the chapter 3 sector 7 slums video and there's still skips. I even recorded a video with OBS (since I can't use shadowplay) but I feel like OBS was making the performance worse so I won't upload it.
Did you use DXVK Async fork and manually enabled async shader compilation?

Last time I checked the mod in Nexusmods didn't have it enabled.

I have your same CPU and GPU and the game runs great with DXVK Async.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Ya'll need to add
dxvk.enableAsync = true

in the DXVK config file to actually enable async compute, without it all the performance benefit you got was just from it running on Vulkan.
Just put that line at the bottom. 4K/60 and even 4K/120 is very easily doable now even in towns on a 3080.

Ok... so, it looks like the majority of the stuttering is fixed at lower resolutions. I was playing at 4K60 on my 5950/3080 rig, and the stuttering was insane, even with the mod fixes. Putting the game at 1440P or 1080P fixes everything tremendously with the mods. The trade-off seems to be the quality of certain textures at lower rezes. The hair, in particular, looks like ass. Zoom in to see the differences.

4K:
9NE4VDI.jpg

1440P:
imFT3VP.jpg

1080P:
LQ6Ttna.jpg

This is a port of a PS5 game, and the game is unoptimized to play at 4K60.
PS5 doesn't do 4K/60 on this game...it does 4K/30.

Last edited:

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Wow 120fps really makes this game even smoother

I know that sound stupid to say but usually i'm not sensitive to 60fps vs 120fps on controller, with this game it's so obvious

jads87

Feb 18, 2019

I am not familiar on how well DXVK works on Windows but it is probably compiling a lot of new shaders in the background and saving them to disk. Should be a one time thing when it finds something new.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Made two videos at 4K and async compute turned on.
One at 120FPS cap, and the other at 60FPS cap. There are some rare hitches, primarily during the start where it has a lot of people around. Keep in mind this is off a fresh load, so it ends up disappearing after a while anyway. And to be honest this is more or less perfect performance in my eyes despite that occasional hitch.

Specs are 5900x/3080/Win 11 with 497.09 drivers

Last edited: