Insan1ty

Sep 23, 2021
User Banned (1 Day, Permanent Thread Ban): Thread Derailment
Indeed - most games just simply work out of the box. A really bad port from Square Enix apparently does not though.

While work arounds from the community are nice - they should not be the defacto way to judge a game's quality for its asking price on launch. This game's default mode is atrocious and it NEEDS to be called out for it.

You're right, but i still think that some shit should be reserved for Halo Infinite that for what concerns me is even more serious.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
You're right, but i still think that some shit should be reserved for Halo Infinite that for what concerns me is even more serious.
I've had zero issues with Infinite. For me personally it's basically been the most perfect running AAA release this year.
The Gamepass version used to have an odd issue wherein the GPU usage would drop to 20-30% for a bit for some reason, but that happened prior to campaign launch. The campaign ran perfectly for me and for MP, I play it on steam which has never had any issues for me (even before release).

Insan1ty

Sep 23, 2021
I've had zero issues with Infinite. For me personally it's basically been the most perfect running AAA release this year.
The Gamepass version used to have an odd issue wherein the GPU usage would drop to 20-30% for a bit for some reason, but that happened prior to campaign launch. The campaign ran perfectly for me and for MP, I play it on steam which has never had any issues for me (even before release).

What do you mean you had no problems? The game cannot handle 60fps even with a 3090 with a graphic quality just above that of Series X in many areas of the open world. Considering that Halo is not even remotely a crazy game to see the performance on PC sucks and show a very poor optimization in many ways. Strange that everyone has focused on this FFVII Remake ... but I'm sure it is something easily connected to the money that this costs. For me, the MS flagship should never have come out in this state on the platform that in the long run will bring the best revenue. Especially after all these years of development.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean you had no problems? The game cannot handle 60fps even with a 3090 with a graphic quality just above that of Series X in many areas of the open world. Considering that Halo is not even remotely a crazy game to see the performance on PC sucks and show a very poor optimization in many ways. Strange that everyone has focused on this FFVII Remake ... but I'm sure it is something easily connected to the money that this costs. For me, the MS flagship should never have come out in this state on the platform that in the long run will bring the best revenue. Especially after all these years of development.
That has not been my experience though. Admittedly I played at 1440P.
Series X also is using dynamic res, I'm sure with Series X settings you can get flat 4K with a 3090 at 4K. That said the game does seem to perform better on AMD cards.

Last edited:

Sweet Blue

Nov 1, 2018
Made two videos at 4K and async compute turned on.
One at 120FPS cap, and the other at 60FPS cap. There are some rare hitches, primarily during the start where it has a lot of people around. Keep in mind this is off a fresh load, so it ends up disappearing after a while anyway. And to be honest this is more or less perfect performance in my eyes despite that occasional hitch.

Specs are 5900x/3080/Win 11 with 497.09 drivers

Did you happen to still have those heavy stutters in the introduction FMV?
Supposing you had them to begin with.

Personally, with those mods, the game behaves relatively fine, but pre-rendered cutscenes tend to stutter quite a lot, and transitioning back to real-time rendering makes the game freeze for 1-2 seconds.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Did you happen to still have those heavy stutters in the introduction FMV?
Supposing you had them to begin with.

Personally, with those mods, the game behaves relatively fine, but pre-rendered cutscenes tend to stutter quite a lot, and transitioning back to real-time rendering makes the game freeze for 1-2 seconds.
I didn't have them.
I also finished the Yuffie DLC yesterday which has a pre rendered scene at the end and that ran fine.

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Is chapter 3 the best way to test stuttering? I've ran through random chapters (1/5/9/14/18) and have had 0 so far

Feel like I would notice stuttering but maybe i'm just one of those that doesn't.

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
This is FF7R without any mods at all (just changed to DX11 to test. On my PC test system, DX11 is similar to DX12). There is one stutter at 1:03 and two at the end (these happen every time you visit these places, they are traversal stutters). So I wouldn't really call this performance atrocious. I mean, if you think this is atrocious, I don't know what you'd call other games that have way worse stuttering issues.

www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade - PC Gameplay Footage - Slums Stutter Test Scene

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade - PC Gameplay Footage - Slums Stutter Test SceneIntel i9 9900K 16GB of DDR4 at 3800MhzNVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Windows 10 64b...

Insan1ty

Sep 23, 2021
That has not been my experience though. Admittedly I played at 1440P.
Series X also is using dynamic res, I'm sure with Series X settings you can get flat 4K with a 3090 at 4K. That said the game does seem to perform better on AMD cards.

For a GPU that's over twice as fast as SX for me its a fail game optimization, but I don't want to try to change your mind about this.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
Is chapter 3 the best way to test stuttering? I've ran through random chapters (1/5/9/14/18) and have had 0 so far

Feel like I would notice stuttering but maybe i'm just one of those that doesn't.
Yes due to the environment/NPC density in an area that's larger than most other areas in the game. The only area that compares is another town area later on that you visit twice. The majority of the game is corridors, so if you are good in Chapter 3 then you are good elsewhere even during fights.

For a GPU that is twice as fast as SX for me is an epic fail game optimization, but I don't want to try to change your mind about this.
Well 2x the speed will not mean 2x the performance though. At that resolution, not having any DRS vs Series X's DRS is already decent, especially when it's running at better settings.

Granted I'll admit that it could perform better considering how the 6800 and 6900 perform, but I'm not gonna call it the worst port this year just because it can't do that, less so in a Final Fantasy VII thread. From a player perspective when I was playing the game the game felt incredibly smooth to me and I am able to enjoy it and be competitive. And the game's fluidity in other area like the movement and shooting further helps it to feel good to just control.

Last edited:

naw

Oct 25, 2017
Did you use DXVK Async fork and manually enabled async shader compilation?

Last time I checked the mod in Nexusmods didn't have it enabled.

I have your same CPU and GPU and the game runs great with DXVK Async.
lol i just checked and he updated the mod this morning with the proper fix... thanks for the heads up

Tora

The Enlightened Wise Ones
Jun 17, 2018
Yes due to the environment/NPC density in an area that's larger than most other areas in the game. The only area that compares is another town area later on that you visit twice. The majority of the game is corridors, so if you are good in Chapter 3 then you are good elsewhere even during fights.
Ah, I now see this stuttering during chapter 3. Will give the mod a whirl then, thanks

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
Cause I love this game and have been waiting for a year and a half for it on pc.
I mean, I have too and I think some of us here are in the same boat. It was my most anticipated game at one point for several years and one of the main reasons why I built my monster PC to play this game at the best settings possible. And even if it was available on Steam day one, why would i tarnish my first play through with a shitty and stuttering mess of a port?

But regardless, Sqaure Enix doesn't care about it's PC audience all that much and I have the same feelings towards them now.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
This is FF7R without any mods at all (just changed to DX11 to test. On my PC test system, DX11 is similar to DX12). There is one stutter at 1:03 and two at the end (these happen every time you visit these places, they are traversal stutters). So I wouldn't really call this performance atrocious. I mean, if you think this is atrocious, I don't know what you'd call other games that have way worse stuttering issues.

www.youtube.com

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade - PC Gameplay Footage - Slums Stutter Test Scene

Final Fantasy 7 Remake Intergrade - PC Gameplay Footage - Slums Stutter Test SceneIntel i9 9900K 16GB of DDR4 at 3800MhzNVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080Windows 10 64b...

Again, with PC stuff obviously everyone will have a slightly different experience. Given that there are many articles now about how bad performance is, I'd be inclined to guess that you are fortunate in having a good experience and that is not the norm, rather than saying other people are nitpicking performance or exaggerating stuff.

Edit: just watched vid and yeah that definitely isn't anything like I was getting out of the box, where the stutters were rapidly causing my fps to drop to like sub 20 and then come back up to 120 and back over and over again, and were far more frequent. Also running might expose the issue more idk.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Did you use DXVK Async fork and manually enabled async shader compilation?

Last time I checked the mod in Nexusmods didn't have it enabled.

I have your same CPU and GPU and the game runs great with DXVK Async.

I used the config file from nexus. I am assuming is enabled in there?

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
Made two videos at 4K and async compute turned on.
One at 120FPS cap, and the other at 60FPS cap. There are some rare hitches, primarily during the start where it has a lot of people around. Keep in mind this is off a fresh load, so it ends up disappearing after a while anyway. And to be honest this is more or less perfect performance in my eyes despite that occasional hitch.

Specs are 5900x/3080/Win 11 with 497.09 drivers

As someone who can't stand micro stuttering even a little is unbearable. No way you can say that's perfect performance.

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018
So the DXVK fix breaks HDR?

I'll just wait

Dx11 mode breaks HDR.

I don't use the fix since just putting it on dx11 for me does the trick plus all the other settings I have.

Just switching from dx12 to dx11 eliminated 95% of stuttering for me.

I'll see later on in the game if they come back to often for me to use it.

But yeah technically it does since it requires dx11 for the fix loll

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who can't stand micro stuttering even a little is unbearable. No way you can say that's perfect performance.
I had it on 2 or 3 (no more than that) instances in the video for a fraction of a second, and this is from a fresh load.
Don't look at the frametime graph too much, at 120FPS the frametime is going to be uneven regardless because it's not going to hold 120FPS all the time...that's what Gsync is there for. That frametime graph is not uneven because of framepacing but rather framerate itself. At 60FPS the frametime graph is as flat as you can expect in a PC game or even a stable console game. The stuttering is gone, there is no judder from improper framepacing. All we're left with are single digit instances of single frame freezes that occur during a fresh load in the most demanding area in the game.

If that's unbearable then I think you have have too high of a standard and almost all games will disappoint you because there will always be something on PC that can unintentionally cause a split second hitch. I've not played a single game till date that has ran without even a one hitch at any point from start to finish.

Last edited:

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I had it on 2 or 3 (no more than that) instances in the video for a fraction of a second, and this is from a fresh load.
Don't look at the frametime graph too much, at 120FPS the frametime is going to be uneven regardless because it's not going to hold 120FPS all the time...that's what Gsync is there for. That frametime graph is not uneven because of framepacing but rather framerate itself. At 60FPS the frametime graph is as flat as you can expect in a PC game or even a stable console game. The stuttering is gone, there is no judder from improper framepacing. All we're left with are single digit instances of single frame freezes that occur during a fresh load in the most demanding area in the game.

If that's unbearable then I think you have have too high of a standard and almost all games will disappoint you because there will always be something on PC that can unintentionally cause a split second hitch. I've not played a single game till date that has ran without even a one hitch at any point from start to finish.

I am extremely sensitive to stuttering and can tell you no most games don't have that or i would feel the same about them.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
In the same boat. Perhaps I'm being spoiled, but I paid really good money to game on my 77" G1, and I want HDR to be an option I experience when gaming. Will say though the stutters through wall market are...ooofph.

Not sure if HDR is worth not playing the game? I have very little faith square fixes this.

curtismyhero

Aug 29, 2018
Not sure if HDR is worth not playing the game? I have very little faith square fixes this.

Oh I'm still playing. The studders in the world suck, but in other areas it's totally fine. Using other fixes mentioned (ex: vsync, triple buffering) has helped smooth things out a bit. It's bothersome, but not enough personally for me to trade removal of hitches for hdr. It's backwards thinking I know...I'm stubborn in all the wrong ways at times, hahaha.

jett

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ok... so, it looks like the majority of the stuttering is fixed at lower resolutions. I was playing at 4K60 on my 5950/3080 rig, and the stuttering was insane, even with the mod fixes. Putting the game at 1440P or 1080P fixes everything tremendously with the mods. The trade-off seems to be the quality of certain textures at lower rezes. The hair, in particular, looks like ass. Zoom in to see the differences.

4K:
9NE4VDI.jpg

1440P:
imFT3VP.jpg

1080P:
LQ6Ttna.jpg

This is a port of a PS5 game, and the game is unoptimized to play at 4K60.
there's something wrong going on here with the filtering. Is that last picture really 1080p on PC? It doesn't look like that even on PS4 Amateur.

Maedhros

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
PC gaming is never something that just works out of the box.
I don't even remember the last time I had to edit an ini to do something. Most of the games I play is just hiting the icon and start playing. Messing with the settings inside the game and that's it.

I don't think these words hold true at all. This game being a piece of garbage shouldn't be hold as something pretty common in pc gaming.

Prelude

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely something wrong with your PC (or the way you use it) if you think PC games never works out of the box and this pos is the norm.

MaLDo

Oct 27, 2017
I usually have battles with most games until I remove all trace of hitching / Stuttering.

Surprisingly, FF7 Remake on DX12, as it comes, has been a perfect experience on my rig. Really perfect (no hitches at all, no compiling shaders stutters and no streaming issues) until I have seen a big drop in frames in the open area (day time slums) when you run for a couple of minutes non-stop. The problem lasts for about 5 seconds, during what appears to be releasing the texture pool. I've fixed it by forcing the poolsize to 3400 megabytes instead of the 4000 that it uses by default. Full list of commands used:

r.Streaming.FullyLoadUsedTextures=0
r.Streaming.HLODStrategy=0
r.Streaming.PoolSize=3400
r.Streaming.LimitPoolSizeToVRAM=False
r.Streaming.MaxTempMemoryAllowed=256
r.Streaming.FramesForFullUpdate=30

Locked 60 fps at 4K with dynamic scaling (moves around 1500p) in a GTX1080 (8 GB)

john2gr

Oct 27, 2017
I usually have battles with most games until I remove all trace of hitching / Stuttering.

Surprisingly, FF7 Remake on DX12, as it comes, has been a perfect experience on my rig. Really perfect (no hitches at all, no compiling shaders stutters and no streaming issues) until I have seen a big drop in frames in the open area (day time slums) when you run for a couple of minutes non-stop. The problem lasts for about 5 seconds, during what appears to be releasing the texture pool. I've fixed it by forcing the poolsize to 3400 megabytes instead of the 4000 that it uses by default. Full list of commands used:

Locked 60 fps at 4K with dynamic scaling (moves around 1500p) in a GTX1080 (8 GB)

Since the game does not allow INI files (unless you use a mod), can you create and share a PAK file MaLDo?

Slammey

Mar 8, 2018

Since I have 24gb of vram..

Should I change this to true or it won't do anything?

Also I have 64gb of ram

Is there some command that would benefit this in the game?

Thnx

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even remember the last time I had to edit an ini to do something. Most of the games I play is just hiting the icon and start playing. Messing with the settings inside the game and that's it.

I don't think these words hold true at all. This game being a piece of garbage shouldn't be hold as something pretty common in pc gaming.

Literally if you look up 99% of games that game out a month after they are out there are .ini and other fixes on pc gaming wiki to get the best experience.

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017

How do I test this? .ini's appear to be locked down? john2gr

hlhbk

Oct 25, 2017
There's definitely something wrong with your PC (or the way you use it) if you think PC games never works out of the box and this pos is the norm.

Never said nothing works out of the box. That being said to get the best experience you often have to edit config files or make other modifications.

Atom

Jul 25, 2021
What games are you playing that is making you do this lmfao. I literally have never had to do this.

"Best" experience is super subjective and leaves a lot of wiggle room. I guess if you went by pcgw articles almost everything has some way in which the experience can be improved but yeah for me 9 times out of 10 the game just works pretty darn well out of the box.

Altezein

User requested ban - Corrupted by Vengeance
Banned
Mar 21, 2021
Buenos Aires, Argentina

Mocha Joe

Jun 2, 2021
"Best" experience is super subjective and leaves a lot of wiggle room. I guess if you went by pcgw articles almost everything has some way in which the experience can be improved but yeah for me 9 times out of 10 the game just works pretty darn well out of the box.
Gotcha, I understand now. The most I have ever had to get a game to work was installing Special K for some games, and doing windows compatibility modes for Evil Within and Fallout 3 (years ago) IIRC

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Literally if you look up 99% of games that game out a month after they are out there are .ini and other fixes on pc gaming wiki to get the best experience.

The best gaming experience for hardcore people.
The average PC gamer isn't cracking open an .ini file on release of a new game.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
So is the port pretty much fixed with the ability to edit an ini + mods? Thinking about picking this up

ss_lemonade

Oct 27, 2017

Could be a youtube thing, but hlhbk is right here. Both of your videos show a ton of stuttering whenever you were panning the camera. It isn't uneven, but probably the most consistent type of stuttering I've ever seen

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
If you aren't there for the best experience then why play on PC?

Because I don't own a PS5 or Xbox X? And my PC plays decently with out of the box settings?

I've played Halo Infinite, Marvel's Avengers, Dark Pictures, RE2, RE3, Mortal Kombat 11, Mass Effect Legendary Edition, Terminator Resistance, Horizon Zero Dawn, The Medium, Death Standing, Bloodstained in the last twelve months, and none of these games require messing around with .ini files.