Deleted member 35631

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 8, 2017
So we really going multiverse route right now?
If so, I'm hella hype about the possibilities..

I don't think they will fully go multiverse like you will be able to traverse timelines. I think they will keep them separate but either Cloud and/or Aerith will be able to sense those moments.

I also think they will NOT make critical changes to the story. They will not go wild and practically do something completely different.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
The middle parts dragged a bit - but I had a really good time with this game.

Cloud is a better character than he gets credit for.

Tifa is a DPS queen - like damn, Chi-trap/Starshower all day every day!!!

I love Aerith - like legit love love

Barret is great - bit cookie cutter though

In all, this JRPG is bursting with heart and sincerity that shook me out of my jaded outlook on the franchise.

Can not wait for part 2.

Also, excellent combat.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Aaaah, be still my young shippy heart.

I got my Cloti song.

JP Version:

Aaah, Midgar, Midgar
Mako City Blues
Aaah, Midgar, Midgar
Mako City Blues

On a blue night,
I set off from my hometown
With a ticket clenched in one hand,
To Midgar I go

Our untold words of farewell
Melt away into the Lifestream

In the unseen sky, the stars fall
I look up to see the starry sky of my hometown
The shooting star I watched with you

Without touching you,
I troubled you
The distance between us is unshrinking
I hear the throbbing inside my chest
The soft air between us

Aaah, Midgar, Midgar
Mako City Blues
Aaah, Midgar, Midgar
Mako City Blues

English Version:

1cunz0m776151.jpg

-------------

GSR

Oct 25, 2017
1. Can you translate what the Whispers are doing at the end of Chapter 17 when they surround the Shinra tower? I still do not understand what is going on there.

2. Can you possibly explain or find any explanation in the Ultimania as to why the Whispers create that large wall? If Cloud and company were to leave midgar, why are they preventing them now? or are they just preventing Sephiroth, or something?

From my copy of Ultimania - that page lists all the Whisper appearances and what they're trying to do during each. Unfortunately those two instances don't really have specific reasons:

1. "The Whispers are on alert that destiny is beginning to change" - so presumably they don't have a specific goal there, it's just that things are threatening to go flying off the rails so they're gathering.
2. "They're trying to stop the flow of destiny from changing" - which doesn't really make a ton of sense in the moment. Best explanation I can come up with is Sephiroth causing issues/the danger of destiny changing is getting so large they're just flooding Midgar to try and stop any change as soon as it happens.

Last edited:

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
From my copy of Ultimania - that page lists all the Whisper appearances and what they're trying to do during each. Unfortunately those two instances don't really have specific reasons:

1. "The Whispers are on alert that destiny is beginning to change" - so presumably they don't have a specific goal there, it's just that things are threatening to go flying off the rails so they're gathering.
2. "They're trying to stop the flow of destiny from changing" - which doesn't really make a ton of sense in the moment. Best explanation I can come up with is Sephiroth causing issues/the danger of destiny changing is getting so large they're just flooding Midgar to try and stop any change as soon as it happens.
Hmm ok thank you.

also, any ideas on why Rufus can see The whispers?

rahji

Oct 25, 2017
I am still struggling to understand the nature of sephiroth and why I should care about him in the story of the remake. He is a war hero and rumoured to be dead that are the facts the game tell you. Going into detail every encounter with him is either a memory, an illusion by the numbered black robe dudes, a clone (whatever that means) or an unknown instance which I interpret as the imprint of him in the Soulstream of the planet which is also the final boss. The motivation of fighting him as a final boss is to alter destiny which becomes clear mere minutes before fighting him. This felt a bit fast and there is almost no buildup. Of course the fight was fantastic but I am struggling to understand his game and why his nature is so complex.

BrandoBoySP

Oct 27, 2017
Where are people seeing info about the Arbiters being the AC guys? I haven't read through the whole thread yet (mostly just the last few pages, I only beat the game today), but the game seemed to imply that the Whispers were just destiny itself trying to stay on track...

It wasn't completely clear since the theme of defying fate wasn't really present in the game until the very end though. I got the sense that the Sephiroth we fight, since he disappears when Cloud deals that final blow, was an Arbiter instead of the real Sephiroth. But with that last scene about creation, who knows...

Rods

May 1, 2020
Where are people seeing info about the Arbiters being the AC guys? I haven't read through the whole thread yet (mostly just the last few pages, I only beat the game today), but the game seemed to imply that the Whispers were just destiny itself trying to stay on track...

It wasn't completely clear since the theme of defying fate wasn't really present in the game until the very end though. I got the sense that the Sephiroth we fight, since he disappears when Cloud deals that final blow, was an Arbiter instead of the real Sephiroth. But with that last scene about creation, who knows...
Edit:Wrong info.

Last edited:

Tathanen

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Hold up a minute how is it not confirmed? Didn't they explicitly name one of the attacks after one of their weapons?

That can easily be classified as an Easter egg. They could also be future effigies of Cloud, Barrett, and Tifa, given the description of their fighting styles. Or it could all just be cute references. Nothing is confirmed there.

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017

Araujo

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
They refer to remake Sephiroth as "Someone who can't be identified" because they are talking about the games. Advent Children Sephiroth was never in any games. So in the context of the game, he is "new".

This fortifies my theory that we will see 2 Sephiroths

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017
That can easily be classified as an Easter egg. They could also be future effigies of Cloud, Barrett, and Tifa, given the description of their fighting styles. Or it could all just be cute references. Nothing is confirmed there.

It's clear that they are not Cloud, Barret, Tifa from their their fighting styles, though. The gun one uses two guns, the barehanded one uses one glove/knuckle, and the sword one uses smaller sword style. It's more fitting description for Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Personally all I was saying is:

"Well, it didn't "confirm" it. It just mentioned them in a vague way, letting us draw our own conclusions."

A confirmation would be if the text was literally "These Whispers are Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo". They probably are but we shouldn't say "The Ultimania confirms it" because that would be inaccurate; the Ultimania doesn't say much more than what was already in the game.

Last edited:

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017

"Well, it didn't "confirm" it. It just mentioned them in a vague way, letting us draw our own conclusions."

A confirmation would be if the text was literally "These Whispers are Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo". The Ultimania doesn't say much more than what was already in the game.

It's not actual confirmation, yes, but IMO that's proof enough to shut down future Cloud, Tifa, Barret interpretation. When Ultimania doesn't even touch on that, then it's clear that particular interpretation isn't the creator intention at all. Easter eggs or not.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's not actual confirmation, yes, but IMO that's proof enough to shut down future Cloud, Tifa, Barret interpretation. When Ultimania doesn't even touch on that, then it's clear that particular interpretation isn't the creator intention at all. Easter eggs or not.
I edited the post you quoted to better explain my thoughts.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

A confirmation would be if the text was literally "These Whispers are Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo". They probably are but we shouldn't say "The Ultimania confirms it" because that would be inaccurate; the Ultimania doesn't say much more than what was already in the game.

I'd say that it pretty much confirms it. No reason to debate what they made obvious even if it's implicit.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
I am still struggling to understand the nature of sephiroth and why I should care about him in the story of the remake. He is a war hero and rumoured to be dead that are the facts the game tell you. Going into detail every encounter with him is either a memory, an illusion by the numbered black robe dudes, a clone (whatever that means) or an unknown instance which I interpret as the imprint of him in the Soulstream of the planet which is also the final boss. The motivation of fighting him as a final boss is to alter destiny which becomes clear mere minutes before fighting him. This felt a bit fast and there is almost no buildup. Of course the fight was fantastic but I am struggling to understand his game and why his nature is so complex.

Well, Remake assumes you've played the OG or know the general story of it.

It's just Sephiroth from the original game's timeline wanting to change his fate so he tricks Cloud and party to destroy the things that maintain the timeline.

With them destroyed, now he can alter his fate.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
What if its dissidia sephiroth considering that sephiroth remember everthing from the original game even AC.​
Makes more sense him knowing time shenanigans or time travel that AC sephiroth anyway ;).​

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
What if its dissidia sephiroth considering that sephiroth remember everthing from the original game even AC.​
Makes more sense him knowing time shenanigans or time travel that AC sephiroth anyway ;).​

Dissidia sephiroth isn't really a canon interpretation, especially since, if taken logistically, all the characters in Dissidia are basically perfect Manikin copies of their respective characters, since there is no logical way any of them just suddenly disappeared from their game, and it's more likely their memories and wills were drawn from their worlds to create the warriors used by Cosmos and Chaos, and later with Materia and Spiritus.

It's more likely that Advent Children Sephiroth dissapated into the lifestream and the Geostigma he infected the planet with allowed him to take control of a fraction of the Whispers (making them purple), and manipulated them to both change the destiny of his original incarnation, and lead them to their destruction at the hands of the party so he could be reformed.

Although that last part is kinda conjecture, but a ton of the visual symbolism kinda leads to the idea that he absorbed the whispers to use their power to recreate himself, then fought the party to further encourage them to try to defeat him for real. Wether he actually reformed and there are two sephiroths, and the one messing with you nearly the whole game was actually AC Sephiroth exerting his will through the Whispers, or he just clued his past self in, I'm not sure.

I think there is enough evidence to support the two sephiroth idea though, and I welcome discussion on that idea.

Two sephiroths? Or just one with fortelling from the future and power over some of the whispers?

Jimmypython

Oct 27, 2017
My current guess is the Aerith in the remake is the one who died in the original. "She traveled through time and space through the lifestream to meet the Cloud in the Remake timeline/universe" ;)

Last edited:

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
Dissidia sephiroth isn't really a canon interpretation, especially since, if taken logistically, all the characters in Dissidia are basically perfect Manikin copies of their respective characters, since there is no logical way any of them just suddenly disappeared from their game, and it's more likely their memories and wills were drawn from their worlds to create the warriors used by Cosmos and Chaos, and later with Materia and Spiritus.

It's more likely that Advent Children Sephiroth dissapated into the lifestream and the Geostigma he infected the planet with allowed him to take control of a fraction of the Whispers (making them purple), and manipulated them to both change the destiny of his original incarnation, and lead them to their destruction at the hands of the party so he could be reformed.

Although that last part is kinda conjecture, but a ton of the visual symbolism kinda leads to the idea that he absorbed the whispers to use their power to recreate himself, then fought the party to further encourage them to try to defeat him for real. Wether he actually reformed and there are two sephiroths, and the one messing with you nearly the whole game was actually AC Sephiroth exerting his will through the Whispers, or he just clued his past self in, I'm not sure.

I think there is enough evidence to support the two sephiroth idea though, and I welcome discussion on that idea.

Two sephiroths? Or just one with fortelling from the future and power over some of the whispers?
Gilgamesh is actually canon lol.

Razorrin

Nov 7, 2017
the HELP Menu.
Gilgamesh is actually canon lol.
Of course Gilgamesh is canon, he's the best! As a side note, I've been playing Dissidia 012 again lately, and he's actually amazing to play. I never noticed before how much defense crushing his HP attacks did, but damn if they aren't great! Especially Whirlwind, that attack comes out like a bullet.

When the hell is he going to Sliders his way into FFVII Remake, I don't think he made an appearance in the original. I'm psyched to see how crazy he'll be, I hope they top Hell House with him.

Rods

May 1, 2020

I think 2 Sephiroth exists in the same way as 2 Aerith exists. Through their connection to the lifestream their knowledge can travel through different points in time and space. But i don't think there will ever be 2 physical bodies of Sephiroth and Aerith.

Last edited:

Riversands

Banned
Nov 21, 2017
Just realized this was actually a new spoiler thread, i thought this was a separate thread at all.

Btw talking about ff7 part 2, do you think part 2 will end up with cliffhanger like Infinity War or other marvel movies?

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Just realized this was actually a new spoiler thread, i thought this was a separate thread at all.

Btw talking about ff7 part 2, do you think part 2 will end up with cliffhanger like Infinity War or other marvel movies?
There'd never do it but I think a wonderful ending to part 2 would if they kill Sephiroth early on in the story, so anything can happen in part 3. That would change the story's tone, as much as Aerith's death did.

And it'd be a perfect end for him, because he's obsessed with defying fate and not allowing himself to die, so to be the first would be thematically appropriate. I guess then the ultimate threat could be something Sephiroth's released like from where the ancient calamity came from, and there'd be a greater struggle in the universe than Sephiroth and Cloud in a sword fight.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They already said they aren't going to change the story all that much

I think there's a high chance the ending of the series will be very different than the original, but not the ending of Part 2 (and Part 3 if that isn't the final part)

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017

I think there's a high chance the ending of the series will be very different than the original, but not the ending of Part 2 (and Part 3 if that isn't the final part)
I think the fighting fate plot line and "boundless freedom" would just be a big gimmick if they do that. And it would show a lack of confidence in the story if a gimmick is all they could be.

ultima786

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I think the fighting fate plot line and "boundless freedom" would just be a big gimmick if they do that. And it would show a lack of confidence in the story if a gimmick is all they could be.
I think part two will play out normally. But the whispers being defeated will be significant for its ending. Perhaps Zack will show up with the party or something

ekka4shiki

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017

I don't know about cliffhanger, but I bet they'll give us theory/discussion-bait ending again. Need to keep the fanbase busy for another two years before Part 3.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about cliffhanger, but I bet they'll give us theory/discussion-bait ending again. Need to keep the fanbase busy for another two years before Part 3.
I don't really like mystery endings if they're cynically used just to bait fan theories.

If it was just a straight remake, the whirlwind maze would have been a brilliant cliffhanger... but also after the ending of part 1, such a predetermined ending would feel jarring.

Rods

May 1, 2020

Considering this is a sequel and what part 1 was setting up through the whole game, I would be surprised if there's no big changes coming in future parts.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
My current guess is the Aerith in the remake is the one who died in the original. "She traveled through time and space through the lifestream to meet the Cloud in the Remake timeline/universe" ;)

Then what happened to the Aerith in Remake timeline? Did OG Aerith just take over Remake Aeroth's body?

Nah, she acts too ignorantly to be OG! Aerith. It's more like Remake! Aerith just has more elaborate visions of the future

CorrisD

Oct 25, 2017

I think I wrote this either earlier in here or in the previous topic, but I'm still surprised that they didn't use the whole Shinra Building Massacre as the reason for number 1. Sephiroth (Jenova) didn't just go and kill everyone this time around, they are all still there in the building, when Cloud and gang escape there's a whole lot of people that should be dead at that point. When playing that was my reasoning anyway at that point, and I thought it was going to be part of Sephiroths plan to "change fate" and use the team against themselves.

The Whispers go crazy because too much had changed, Sephiroth tells them they need to change their fates as he does, and the gang gets shown things that they seem to perceive as a failure from the original game during the ensuing battle, which they think they need to change seemingly not knowing that they stop Meteor and Sephiroth. Seeing the way the gang change their perceived notions of Shinra employees through the game, to then dangle so many of their lives on them changing fate would have worked for me, and it would have explained the whispers entirely surrounding the building anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
CorrisD to go off of that line of thinking, my speculation was that because of Wedge and bringing in the other AVALANCHE faction(s) to attack the building, a lot of things were going off the rails of "destiny" causing the whispers to keep more from changing, meanwhile Sephiroth was doing whatever he was doing at the bottom with Jenova, and then made his way to towards the group which is why the whole city becomes consumed in whispers.

I also think this was all of Sephiroth's doing. He is shown to have influence over them to some degree, like when Cloud oversleeps after Sephiroth's voice tells him to dream a sweet dream or whatever, meaning he can at minimum "whisper" through the whispers, and then we can see in certain instances they will push people around using anti-gravity-like powers, or surround them and protect them (Wedge beneath the plate, the helicopter almost hitting the blue truck, etc).

Odinsmana

Mar 13, 2019
I just finished the game and I haven't read fan theories yet, but my initial reaction is that I am really bummed about the ending and I am really worried about the future games. I think just on their own Destiny, time travel and alternate dimensions/timelines have the potential to competently ruin a story unless the writers are really careful. All of them at the same time seem like a recipe for disaster. I am not against changes to the story in theory, but the fact that the changes they have made to the story so far mainly involves characters that died in the original game surviving and therefore taking away all the bite from those originally powerful scenes also makes me really worried for what they are going to change in future installments. The fact that the game ends with you basically fighting a god in the sky above Midgar and having an anime battle with Sepiroth also really makes me wonder how they are going to make events after that feel threatening and not just anticlimactic.

That said. For the most part the game was incredible and I really loved the way the characters were handled. The ending just really put a sour taste in my mouth and made me worried for the future.